Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,736 members, 7,824,084 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year (23679 Views)

Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Unboxing - Other Smartphone Brands Better Sit Up / Ever Wondered Why Smartphone Companies Split Into Sub-brands?Here's The Reason.. / 4 Reasons Why Ladies Block Their Last Seen On Whatsapp By Jumia Travel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NaijaTechGuy(m): 2:56pm On Jan 24, 2017

In the past six months a lot has been going on in the smartphone world and we all have seen a lot of new designs and features. Some designs worked while some failed. We saw Google's abandoned modular project - Project Ara, The LG G5's modular design, Motorola's Moto Mods, Samsung’s Grenades (Note 7's) and Xiaomi's Mi Mix with a Bezeless Design.

In the Nigerian scene, Transission Holdings which owns Tecno, Infinix And Itel has not failed to surprise us with sleek devices.

You can agree with me that the Tecno Phantom 6 Plus was amazing though I never got a hands on review but the specs  I saw on other tech blogs were amazing but the pricing was a little bit off the bar. The Infinix Hot S was good as well.

Products by Apple, Google and South Korean Giants, Samsung are mostly what the rich folks go for these days. They've managed to keep that space by releasing top notch devices - the Samsung Galaxy S7, Google Pixel and iPhone 7.

Gionee, Huawei And Xiaomi are also doing averagely well in the Nigerian market.

You may ask - How Does Nokia Come Into The Picture?

Nokia’s biggest mistake was signing an agreement with Microsoft and they're definitely learning from their mistakes. Nokia is coming back to the Android scene this year and it's smartphones will be handled by HMD Global and Foxconn (a company who produces iPhones  for Apple as well). I think they'll beat other smartphone manufacturers in Nigeria if they play their cards right. 

I know Some Apple Fan Boys and Tecno Fan boys will come for me like :

But before that here are my reasons-

1  Artificial Intelligence

AI is the next generation of technology and it's something even new device should definitely have. Nokia is allegedly coming with its own AI assistant named Viki to make it the 4th smartphone company with an AI assistant for its devices.
The only Android smartphone that can compete with it in this area is the Samsung Galaxy S8 which will be coming with its new AI as well (Bixby).

Artificial intelligence helps users with various tasks on their device and can even control an entire house and gadgets if your home has a lot of IOT devices.

List Of Smartphone Companies With AI Support

Apple - Siri
Microsoft - Cortana
Google - Google Assistant
Nokia - Viki
Samsung - Bixby

I would have added Amazon's Alexa to the list but it's not a smartphone company.

2. Popularity

Tecno, Infinix And Gionee are much popular than Nokia smartphones because literally Nokia has no Android devices. The Nokia X and Nokia XL was a disaster so I'd rather not classify it an android phone. However in general, Nokia is still very popular, Most people who have two devices prefer using a Nokia phone as the secondary phone.

No matter what, the name Nokia still has that  special place in the hearts of mobile phone users in Nigeria. It hurt so much to see Nokia lose its place to other OEM's but with the kind of devices Nokia is planning on releasing this year, they'll certainly give other OEMs a run for their money.

3. Massive Advertising Budget

Nokia is planning a huge come back this year and they've budgeted almost $500 million dollars for just advertisements globally.

That's a massive amount of money. Other OEM's won't budget too much since they already have a certain place in the market already.

4. Updated Software

All new Nokia devices will be running on Android 7.0 and Nokia is reportedly working very closely with Google on their devices meaning that Nokia phones will definitely have a form of support from bug fixes to software updates via OTA unlike some of the other OEMs that release updates once in a blue moon.

Some wait till pigs fly before they send updates.

Nokia is planning to change all that.
You can vote The Device You Think Will Be Most Popular In 2017. A poll is available on the link.

19 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NaijaTechGuy(m): 2:57pm On Jan 24, 2017
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NCP: 3:02pm On Jan 24, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
Source : http://www.naijatechguy.com/2017/01/4-reasons-why-nokia-will-beat-other.html

Bro, l love your post on Nokia. Very informative and direct to the point.

Thanks a bunch.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by Escalze(m): 3:02pm On Jan 24, 2017
Nokia

Connecting people smiley

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by kabayomi(m): 3:12pm On Jan 24, 2017
Chai I miss Nokia.

I hope their android phones take up their trademark - Durability.

My 3310 fall break ground in the good ol days cheesy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by bqlekan(m): 3:16pm On Jan 24, 2017
Everyone would love to have Nokia back in the market. One area we will be looking out for is their battery technology. It will be disappointing to see Nokia launch their flagships with the generic lithium ion battery. With a better battery technology, I see Nokia leading the smartphone world again.

PS I can't wait for the first nuclear powered smartphone grin it won't even come with a charger cheesy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by femi4: 3:26pm On Jan 24, 2017
Nokia is no longer Popular. Give it to Techno
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NaijaTechGuy(m): 3:41pm On Jan 24, 2017
femi4:
Nokia is no longer Popular. Give it to Techno

After the MWC in Barcelona.. Tecno no go get mouth again

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NaijaTechGuy(m): 3:43pm On Jan 24, 2017
bqlekan:
Everyone would love to have Nokia back in the market. One area we will be looking out for is their battery technology. It will be disappointing to see Nokia launch their flagships with the generic lithium ion battery. With a better battery technology, I see Nokia leading the smartphone world again.

PS I can't wait for the first nuclear powered smartphone grin it won't even come with a charger cheesy

shocked bros how far na.. What of if it's Samsung that makes the phone will you buy it.. grin.. Na nuclear explosion you dey expect o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NaijaTechGuy(m): 3:44pm On Jan 24, 2017
NCP:

Bro, l love your post on Nokia. Very informative and direct to the point.

Thanks a bunch.
uwc
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by bqlekan(m): 3:50pm On Jan 24, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

shocked bros how far na.. What of if it's Samsung that makes the phone will you buy it.. grin.. Na nuclear explosion you dey expect o
We are quiet not ready for that yet. But believe me, I will buy any brand that makes that smartphone. So long it doesn't come with an MTK chip cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 24, 2017
If Nokia cam averagely price their devices in Africa(Nigeria particularly) with good specs, top notch camera and good battery without forgetting nice and sleek design then they will make mega bucks.

Nokia still have the love. I honestly don't know how they did it. People still love them and wanna give their devices another shot.

Let's see how the year unfolds anyways but I wish them success.

7 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 24, 2017
The market is saturated already. Nokia might have difficult task to attract more customers this year.mind you other brands aren't sleeping. But one good feature that I think may attract people to their product is durability especially the screen such that it might be difficult to break. That alone would make some persons fall for it.
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by ikes9(m): 7:03pm On Jan 24, 2017
bqlekan:

Lol,bro a nuclear powered phone is a NO NO...the kinda emissions it would radiate would cause a lot of harm

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:09pm On Jan 24, 2017
asuustrike2009:
The market is saturated already. Nokia might have difficult task to attract more customers this year.mind you other brands aren't sleeping. But one good feature that I think may attract people to their product is durability especially the screen such that it might be difficult to break. That alone would make some persons fall for it.

I don't think Nokia will have much difficulty. It isn't a new brand .. Nokia is just testing waters with its new devices in China and it got about 1.4million pre-orders.. In a few days.

10 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 24, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

I don't think Nokia will have much difficulty. It isn't a new brand .. Nokia is just testing waters with its new devices in China and it got about 1.4million pre-orders.. In a few days.

They will. Except their own android has a unique feature
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by bqlekan(m): 7:17pm On Jan 24, 2017
ikes9:

Lol,bro a nuclear powered phone is a NO NO...the kinda emissions it would radiate would cause a lot of harm

I believe by then, we would have found a way to contain this radiation.. Maybe by using advanced nanotechs.. Never say never grin

4 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by Abdstrakt(m): 7:19pm On Jan 24, 2017
Very interesting read. But you fail to mention the only point where I think if they get right they'll compete (Not beat) with other OEMs In Nigeria.
The small detail of pricing
If the prices that is being bandied about turns out to be correct then they shouldn't bother coming to this shores.
Hate em or Love em, that is one aspect Tecno has been getting right. Little wonder they stay winning.

17 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by excanny: 7:25pm On Jan 24, 2017
Nokia’s biggest mistake was signing an agreement with Microsoft and they're definitely learning from their mistakes. Nokia is coming back to the Android scene this year and it's smartphones will be handled by HMD Global and Foxconn (a company who produces iPhones for Apple as well). I think they'll beat other smartphone manufacturers in Nigeria if they play their cards right.

This is the real mistake-switching to Android, not partnering with Microsoft.
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by miqos02(m): 7:34pm On Jan 24, 2017
asuustrike2009:
if Nokia can enter the market with a good phone with good pricing, the "saturated market" will accommodate it
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by miqos02(m): 7:37pm On Jan 24, 2017
Abdstrakt:
Very interesting read. But you fail to mention the only point where I think if they get right they'll compete (Not beat) with other OEMs In Nigeria.
The small detail of pricing
If the prices that is being bandied about turns out to be correct then they shouldn't bother coming to this shores.
Hate em or Love em, that is one aspect Tecno has been getting right. Little wonder they stay winning.
boss man, Nokia can only compete with apple and samsung. They are bigger brands than Tecno, infinix and Gionee. Dont forget that the Nokia brand is not all about phones

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by excanny: 7:52pm On Jan 24, 2017
miqos02:
boss man, Nokia can only compete with apple and samsung. They are bigger brands than Tecno, infinix and Gionee. Dont forget that the Nokia brand is not all about phones

Nokia can't compete with Tecno when it comes to affordability. Take it to the bank.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:16pm On Jan 24, 2017
Nokia Is also working on Virtual Reality and one of their new smartphones will come with it definitely. Tecno hasn't even come close to VR Talk more of Artificial Intelligence.

Also if they bring the devices at affordable rates which they certainly will in a matter of years other OEMs will be struggling again with Nokia, Samsung and Apple.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by Abdstrakt(m): 8:51pm On Jan 24, 2017
miqos02:
I was replying within the context of the article; which is, Nokia gaining a foothold in the Nigerian market, not which brand is bigger.
In Nigeria, which company has the biggest market share between Tecno and Apple?

Take your time, I'll wait.
Exactly.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by ikes9(m): 9:05pm On Jan 24, 2017
bqlekan:

I believe by then, we would have found a way to contain this radiation.. Maybe by using advanced nanotechs.. Never say never grin

very true tho..technology is still advancing
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by Abdstrakt(m): 9:09pm On Jan 24, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
Nokia Is also working on Virtual Reality and one of their new smartphones will come with it definitely. Tecno hasn't even come close to VR Talk more of Artificial Intelligence.

Also if they bring the devices at affordable rates which they certainly will in a matter of years other OEMs will be struggling again with Nokia, Samsung and Apple.

You are obviously a tech guy so u should know this.
On the issue of VR. VR isn't ground breaking anymore, where only a select few have access to the technology. The blueprint is out there already. There are a lot of generic VR headsets available. Tecno can easily outsource the hardware to one of the countless OEMs in China and put the Tecno branding on it.

On the issue of AI, you think say e easy? if e easy why bigger brands like Samsung, Sony, Xiaomi and LG never dabble inside since.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NaijaTechGuy(m): 9:59pm On Jan 24, 2017
Abdstrakt:

You are obviously a tech guy so u should know this.
On the issue of VR. VR isn't ground breaking anymore, where only a select few have access to the technology. The blueprint is out there already. There are a lot of generic VR headsets available. Tecno can easily outsource the hardware to one of the countless OEMs in China and put the Tecno branding on it.

On the issue of AI, you think say e easy? if e easy why bigger brands like Samsung, Sony, Xiaomi and LG never dabble inside since.

VR is still relatively new in the African Tech Scene.

I agree with you on the issue of Tecno outsourcing VR Headsets. But coming to AI I don't think Tecno has any grounds there.
Samsung is already working on AI already - Bixby.
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by miqos02(m): 10:03pm On Jan 24, 2017
Abdstrakt:

I was replying within the context of the article; which is, Nokia gaining a foothold in the Nigerian market, not which brand is bigger.
In Nigeria, which company has the biggest market share between Tecno and Apple?

Take your time, I'll wait.
Exactly.
excanny:

Nokia can't compete with Tecno when it comes to affordability. Take it to the bank.
you are right on affordabillity but dont forget that in those days also, there were nokia phones for the bosses and also for the lower earners too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by abnsugbe: 2:34am On Jan 25, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

In the past six months a lot has been going on in the smartphone world and we all have seen a lot of new designs and features. Some designs worked while some failed. We saw Google's abandoned modular project - Project Ara, The LG G5's modular design, Motorola's Moto Mods, Samsung’s Grenades (Note 7's) and Xiaomi's Mi Mix with a Bezeless Design.

In the Nigerian scene, Transission Holdings which owns Tecno, Infinix And Itel has not failed to surprise us with sleek devices.

You can agree with me that the Tecno Phantom 6 Plus was amazing though I never got a hands on review but the specs  I saw on other tech blogs were amazing but the pricing was a little bit off the bar. The Infinix Hot S was good as well.

Products by Apple, Google and South Korean Giants, Samsung are mostly what the rich folks go for these days. They've managed to keep that space by releasing top notch devices - the Samsung Galaxy S7, Google Pixel and iPhone 7.

Gionee, Huawei And Xiaomi are also doing averagely well in the Nigerian market.

You may ask - How Does Nokia Come Into The Picture?

Nokia’s biggest mistake was signing an agreement with Microsoft and they're definitely learning from their mistakes. Nokia is coming back to the Android scene this year and it's smartphones will be handled by HMD Global and Foxconn (a company who produces iPhones  for Apple as well). I think they'll beat other smartphone manufacturers in Nigeria if they play their cards right. 

I know Some Apple Fan Boys and Tecno Fan boys will come for me like :

But before that here are my reasons-

1  Artificial Intelligence

AI is the next generation of technology and it's something even new device should definitely have. Nokia is allegedly coming with its own AI assistant named Viki to make it the 4th smartphone company with an AI assistant for its devices.
The only Android smartphone that can compete with it in this area is the Samsung Galaxy S8 which will be coming with its new AI as well (Bixby).

Artificial intelligence helps users with various tasks on their device and can even control an entire house and gadgets if your home has a lot of IOT devices.

List Of Smartphone Companies With AI Support

Apple - Siri
Microsoft - Cortana
Google - Google Assistant
Nokia - Viki
Samsung - Bixby

I would have added Amazon's Alexa to the list but it's not a smartphone company.

2. Popularity

Tecno, Infinix And Gionee are much popular than Nokia smartphones because literally Nokia has no Android devices. The Nokia X and Nokia XL was a disaster so I'd rather not classify it an android phone. However in general, Nokia is still very popular, Most people who have two devices prefer using a Nokia phone as the secondary phone.

No matter what, the name Nokia still has that  special place in the hearts of mobile phone users in Nigeria. It hurt so much to see Nokia lose its place to other OEM's but with the kind of devices Nokia is planning on releasing this year, they'll certainly give other OEMs a run for their money.

3. Massive Advertising Budget

Nokia is planning a huge come back this year and they've budgeted almost $500 million dollars for just advertisements globally.

That's a massive amount of money. Other OEM's won't budget too much since they already have a certain place in the market already.

4. Updated Software

All new Nokia devices will be running on Android 7.0 and Nokia is reportedly working very closely with Google on their devices meaning that Nokia phones will definitely have a form of support from bug fixes to software updates via OTA unlike some of the other OEMs that release updates once in a blue moon.

Some wait till pigs fly before they send updates.

Nokia is planning to change all that.
You can vote The Device You Think Will Be Most Popular In 2017. A poll is available on the link.

i gues the Price will buy Land at Banana island at Lagos with 1 ferari and 2 spider cars
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NaijaTechGuy(m): 5:20am On Jan 25, 2017
abnsugbe:

i gues the Price will buy Land at Banana island at Lagos with 1 ferari and 2 spider cars
certainly not.. If you're trying to bring back a brand you'll certainly sell your device cheap to attract people , the new Nokia Heart will cost around $150 you can do the math.
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by Dam5reey(m): 5:50am On Jan 25, 2017
I tire for some people sha,
I don't know why they think Nigeria market should be considered by manufacturers, when put Price tag on it product.. shocked

Nokia 6 sold out, How many did Nigerians buy.... Abeg make una they use una own Tecno jeje, tecno is the Giant of Nigeria..
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nokia Will Beat Other Smartphone Companies In Nigeria This Year by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:15am On Jan 25, 2017
Dam5reey:
I tire for some people sha,
I don't know why they think Nigeria market should be considered by manufacturers, when put Price tag on it product.. shocked

Nokia 6 sold out, How many did Nigerians buy.... Abeg make una they use una own Tecno jeje, tecno is the Giant of Nigeria..

Nokia 6 sold out.. It's only available in China..will you trek to China to buy it :-/ smh

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NCC To Telecom Operators: All SIMs not linked To NIN Must Be Blocked Today / Have U Come Accross Tecno T731, Is It Origin Tecno And Andriod Too / Which Phone Can I Buy With 140k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.