Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,170 members, 7,811,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? (3382 Views)

No Ethnic Group Can Beat The Fulani, The largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Bello / Arms & Ammunitions Army Found In Southern Kaduna (Photos) / Police Launches “Operation Harmony” In Southern Kaduna (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by bigfrancis21: 12:12pm On Jan 26, 2017
The images below show the population census of southern Nigeria tribes as of 1921 or nearly 100 years ago. The total population at about 7 million.

The population figures are broken down as:

1) Edo 472,000

2) Ibo 3,927,000

3) Ijaw 174,000

4) Popo Ewe 39,000

5) Yoruba 2,113,000

6) Others 34,000

Under the Yoruba category, Itsekiris/Jekri and Popo Ewe (both not counted in the Yoruba population today) are included in the Yoruba population figure.

The Edo breakdown is given as:

Sobo/Urhobo 217,000
Bini 68,000
Esan 93,000
Kukuruku 94,000

How did we suddenly go from probably 15 million (including northern figures) in 1921 to over 170 million in population over night? Are our modern census figures probably inflated?

https://books.google.com/books?id=GUc8AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA4&lpg=PA6&focus=viewport&dq=ika+igbo+bini&output=html_text

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by JBismarck(m): 12:45pm On Jan 26, 2017
Coman take your trophy for this nice try. But it failed to achieve its purpose. Sorry bro.

4 Likes

Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by zendy: 12:53pm On Jan 26, 2017
Interesting. The British regarded all the western Igbos as 'Ika Igbo' its 3 major towns 'Ika Asaba', 'Ika Kwale', 'Ika Agbor'

Funny that today, many now call the 'Delta Igbo' which is wrong.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by babyfaceafrica: 1:04pm On Jan 26, 2017
Okay
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by Probz(m): 4:32pm On Jan 26, 2017
zendy:
Interesting. The British regarded all the western Igbos as 'Ika Igbo' its 3 major towns 'Ika Asaba', 'Ika Kwale', 'Ika Agbor'

Funny that today, many now call the 'Delta Igbo' which is wrong.

Delta Igbo and Western Igbo mean exactly the same thing, na?
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by zendy: 4:40pm On Jan 26, 2017
Probz:

Delta Igbo and Western Igbo mean exactly the same thing, na?

Not really. Delta Igbo is the wrong way of saying Western Igbo

30 years ago, there was nothing called "Delta Igbo".

4 Likes

Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by Igboid: 5:04pm On Jan 26, 2017
Well, it was first Western Igbo when they were in Western region, then it became Mid western Igbo after the Midwest was created, then Bendel Igbos, when the Midwest was renamed Bendel by Gowon, and now Delta Igbos following the creation of Delta from the old Bendel state.
I'm sure that by the time Anioma state is created, it will become Anioma-Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by Igboid: 5:05pm On Jan 26, 2017
OP. Some argue that those were not real census figures, but rather estimate figures by the British.
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by Probz(m): 5:13pm On Jan 26, 2017
zendy:

Not really. Delta Igbo is the wrong way of saying Western Igbo

30 years ago, there was nothing called "Delta Igbo".

I couldn't care less what happened 30 years ago, zendy. "Delta Igbo" or "Western Igbo" can be used to apply to the indigenous Igbos of Delta State, who just happen to be west of the River Niger. The two terms are synonymous and mean exactly the same thing.

What would you call Rivers Igbos specifically without referring to their state?
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by Probz(m): 5:17pm On Jan 26, 2017
Igboid:
Well, it was first Western Igbo when they were in Western region, then it became Mid western Igbo after the Midwest was created, then Bendel Igbos, when the Midwest was renamed Bendel by Gowon, and now Delta Igbos following the creation of Delta from the old Bendel state.
I'm sure that by the time Anioma state is created, it will become Anioma-Igbos.

They need to be careful carving out Anioma state, though. As I said in the thread I started, my understanding's that Ikas and Ukwuanis are only lumped in with the real Aniomas/Delta Igbos (Enuanis) for political reasons. There's a reason most of the so-called "Igbo" denial comes from that Bendel region.
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by zendy: 7:13pm On Jan 26, 2017
Probz:

I couldn't care less what happened 30 years ago, zendy. "Delta Igbo" or "Western Igbo" can be used to apply to the indigenous Igbos of Delta State, who just happen to be west of the River Niger. The two terms are synonymous and mean exactly the same thing.

What would you call Rivers Igbos specifically without referring to their state?

You have to care because 'importing' English words like 'Delta' to describe an indigenous ethnic group anywhere in Africa is not right. Calling someone 'Delta Igbo' is like calling me from Anambra an 'Anambra Igbo'. Makes no sense.
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by months: 7:50pm On Jan 26, 2017
Ngozi123 report
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by months: 7:52pm On Jan 26, 2017
The igbo population was more than Yoruba.

No wonder Awolowo devised a means to murder 3 million igbos. We were more populous than them.

Even today, our population is still more than yorubas. Potentially we are the most populous in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by KOBOJO: 8:03pm On Jan 26, 2017
Igboid:
OP. Some argue that those were not real census figures, but rather estimate figures by the British.

Ok., lets assume that statement is true.,why did British gave higher estmated figure to the igbos? ?
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by samstradam: 8:06pm On Jan 26, 2017
months:
The igbo population was more than Yoruba.

No wonder Awolowo devised a means to murder 3 million igbos. We were more populous than them.

Even today, our population is still more than yorubas. Potentially we are the most populous in Nigeria.

Bros wetin keep you, we de wait since wink
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by Probz(m): 9:05pm On Jan 26, 2017
zendy:

You have to care because 'importing' English words like 'Delta' to describe an indigenous ethnic group anywhere in Africa is not right. Calling someone 'Delta Igbo' is like calling me from Anambra an 'Anambra Igbo'. Makes no sense.

It actually does make sense because Igbos aren't exactly the majority in Delta state, are they? That's why they're called Delta Igbos, because that way everyone knows you're referring to the Igbo-speaking section of Delta state. Ditto for Rivers Igbo.

Me too dey onye Anambra but no one would call people like you and me 'Anambra Igbo' because Anambra's our state through and through, not just one section.
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by Adaodogwu(f): 9:35pm On Jan 26, 2017
I see
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by leofab(f): 10:30pm On Jan 26, 2017
Nice analysis
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 26, 2017
Igbophobia on Nairaland as usual grin
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by cheruv: 10:50pm On Jan 26, 2017
Probz:

[s]They need to be careful carving out Anioma state, though. As I said in the thread I started, my understanding's that Ikas and Ukwuanis are only lumped in with the real Aniomas/Delta Igbos (Enuanis) for political reasons. There's a reason most of the so-called "Igbo" denial comes from that Bendel region[/s].
Its Easterners like that cause issues for Igbos West of the Niger. Aside Anioma state, which state do you recommend?? Njaba? Aba? Adada? Which other stupid name have I heard again from our immature kinsmen?? undecided
See... Rather than creating Aba state, Abia state should try and retrieve obigbo that was ceded in 1976....ditto for Imo state that wants creation of njaba state, they should fight to ensure that egbema that was ceded to Rivers in 1976 is returned.
Every Igbo.. I mean every Igbo should be angling for the creation of Anioma state.that's the only choice as regards state creation that we've.... Any other thing is gross stupidity angry

2 Likes

Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by months: 10:58pm On Jan 26, 2017
cheruv:

Its Easterners like that cause issues for Igbos West of the Niger. Aside Anioma state, which state do you recommend?? Njaba? Aba? Adada? Which other stupid name have I heard again from our immature kinsmen?? undecided
See... Rather than creating Aba state, Abia state should try and retrieve obigbo that was ceded in 1976....ditto for Imo state that wants creation of njaba state, they should fight to ensure that egbema that was ceded to Rivers in 1976 is returned.
Every Igbo.. I mean every Igbo should be angling for the creation of Anioma state.that's the only choice as regards state creation that we've.... Any other thing is gross stupidity angry

Anioma with Ika and Igbanke is long over due. The question is should the capital remain in Asaba or be in Agbo?

1 Like

Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by orimsamsam(m): 11:17pm On Jan 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:
The images below show the population census of southern Nigeria tribes as of 1921 or nearly 100 years ago. The total population at about 7 million.

The population figures are broken down as:

1) Edo 472,000

2) Ibo 3,927,000

3) Ijaw 174,000

4) Popo Ewe 39,000

5) Yoruba 2,113,000

6) Others 34,000

Under the Yoruba category, Itsekiris/Jekri and Popo Ewe (both not counted in the Yoruba population today) are included in the Yoruba population figure.

The Edo breakdown is given as:

Sobo/Urhobo 217,000
Bini 68,000
Esan 93,000
Kukuruku 94,000

How did we suddenly go from probably 15 million (including northern figures) in 1921 to over 170 million in population over night? Are our modern census figures probably inflated?

https://books.google.com/books?id=GUc8AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA4&lpg=PA6&focus=viewport&dq=ika+igbo+bini&output=html_text
anything that soothing ur ego.
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by cheruv: 12:53pm On Jan 27, 2017
months:

Anioma with Ika and Igbanke is long over due. The question is should the capital remain in Asaba or be in Agbo?
Anioma state would've three senatorial zones viz enuani, ika and ukwuani with zone HQs at asaba, agbo and abo respectively but the state capital should remain at asaba for certain geopolitical and socioeconomic reasons smiley
Re: Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 1:03pm On Jan 27, 2017
How can igbo's have more population than yoruba when d 20 biggest towns in d 1950's by population 18, where in in d sw.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

SEE The Audience On Sit When President Buhari Gave His Speech At UNGA / SARS Awaiting Saraki's Arrival / Nigerians Seen Defending Themselves In South Africa(Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.