Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,048 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

What Does It Mean That Job Repented In Dust And Ashes? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean That Job Repented In Dust And Ashes? (797 Views)

"And The Lord Repented" / When Was The Last Time You Cried And Repented Of Wrong Against Someone? / What Does It Mean That Our Sins Are Washed Away? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean That Job Repented In Dust And Ashes? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:23pm On Jan 27, 2017
What does it mean that Job repented in dust and ashes? What was it about what God said that caused Job to repent?
Re: What Does It Mean That Job Repented In Dust And Ashes? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:34am On Feb 11, 2017
What was it about what God said that caused Job to repent?
Re: What Does It Mean That Job Repented In Dust And Ashes? by johnw74: 2:55am On Feb 11, 2017
dust and ashes is the least thing in the world
it is what everything is broken down into
Abraham saw that he was just like dust and ashes before the LORD
that he was like nothing before the LORD, or compared to the LORD

Gen_18:27  And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:

Job 42:1  Then Job answered the LORD, and said, 
Job 42:2  I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. 
Job 42:3  Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. 
Job 42:4  Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
Job 42:5  I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. 
Job 42:6  Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Job was defending his righteousness to his fellows
but now face to face with God he sees he is but nothing
covering himself in dust and ashes was an outward sign of repentance

none is righteous, except in Christ.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean That Job Repented In Dust And Ashes? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:51am On Feb 25, 2017
johnw74:

dust and ashes is the least thing in the world
it is what everything is broken down into
Abraham saw that he was just like dust and ashes before the LORD
that he was like nothing before the LORD, or compared to the LORD

Gen_18:27  And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:

Job 42:1  Then Job answered the LORD, and said, 
Job 42:2  I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. 
Job 42:3  Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. 
Job 42:4  Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
Job 42:5  I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. 
Job 42:6  Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Job was defending his righteousness to his fellows
but now face to face with God he sees he is but nothing
covering himself in dust and ashes was an outward sign of repentance

none is righteous, except in Christ.

God bless you. smiley

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That Job Repented In Dust And Ashes? by orisa37: 4:15am On Feb 25, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

God bless you. smiley

AMEN.
Re: What Does It Mean That Job Repented In Dust And Ashes? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:51am On Mar 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

What does it mean that Job repented in dust and ashes? What was it about what God said that caused Job to repent?

Suggested answers to the OP

https://www.gotquestions.org/repent-dust-ashes.html

(1) (Reply)

Why Archbishop Obinna Withdrew His Seminarians From Bigard Memorial Seminary. / Who Is Watching Emmanuel Tv Now / The Gullibility Of Christians (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.