Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,745 members, 7,809,843 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia (668 Views)

President Adama Barrow Lands In Gambia Amid Tight Security. Photos / Adama Barrow Sworn In As The Gambian President / Son Of Adama Barrow Killed By Dog (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by Harbdulrasaq(m): 10:53am On Jan 29, 2017
Gambia's new President, Adama Barrow, has vowed to reform the country's notorious intelligence agency and promised to ensure media freedom in the country.

Barrow, speaking at his first news conference since returning to take office on Thursday,

Barrow announced plans to rename the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), a dreaded secret police accused by rights groups of forced disappearances and torture under the control of former leader Yahya Jammeh.

Barrow also said the country's official name will no longer contain the word "Islamic", which had been added by Jammeh in 2015.

The new president said The Gambia, whose population is 90 percent Muslim, with the rest Christian and animist, was a republic "not the Islamic republic".

Jammeh, who ruled the small West African nation for 22 years caused a major political crisis by refusing to exit office after losing the December 1 presidential election to Barrow.

http://www.newshelm.com/2017/01/president-adama-barrow-renames-gambia.html

cc lalasticlala

Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by dominique(f): 10:57am On Jan 29, 2017
Hope this is not initial gra gra.
Wishing him a successful tenure
Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by Nobody: 11:04am On Jan 29, 2017
Islamic republic of Biafra grin
Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by Flexherbal(m): 11:12am On Jan 29, 2017
dominique:
Hope this is not initial gra gra.
Wishing him a successful tenure

Abi!
Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 29, 2017
I checked in Wikipedia, why do Igbo people practise Islam and the Hausa people don't practise Christianity
I checked in Wikipedia, why do Igbo people practise Islam and the Hausa people don't practise Christianity

According to Wikipedia: Igbos are primarily Christians but practice Islam in minority, the Hausa people are pure Muslims and don't practice Christianity.
Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by emorse(m): 11:36am On Jan 29, 2017
I saw this one coming. I'm sure many people did too.
Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by decatalyst(m): 11:36am On Jan 29, 2017
DrayDDon:
Islamic republic of Biafra grin

Nah nah nah

Catholic Republic of Biafra cool
Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by talk2riel: 11:47am On Jan 29, 2017
OoniOfIfe:

According to Wikipedia: Igbos are primarily Christians but practice Islam in minority, the Hausa people are pure Muslims and don't practice Christianity.
From which planet are you?

There are indigenous Hausa Christians in Kaduna, katsina, kano, zamfara and sokoto.

I wonder who a pure Muslim is? Northern Nigeria has always being an animist state before the era of dan- fodio. There are still people of animist believe katsina state.

1 Like

Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by Nutase: 11:48am On Jan 29, 2017
Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 29, 2017
talk2riel:

From which planet are you?

There are indigenous Hausa Christians in Kaduna, katsina, kano, zamfara and sokoto.

I wonder who a pure Muslim is? Northern Nigeria has always being an animist state before the era of dan- fodio. There are still people of animist believe katsina state.
tell that to Wikipedia,
Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by gurunlocker: 1:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
Still searching for a country with "Christian Republic of.... "

Na their own dey always different.... Nice one barrow, if we are dealing with religion, let's act with using our sense along.
Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by talk2riel: 2:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
OoniOfIfe:
tell that to Wikipedia,

My brother who is Wikipedia?

The guy that sit new York and writes the little he knows about Nigeria. Its a shame you know little about your own country, trying to use Wikipedia as a base for your argument.

Mr man travel and see.
Re: President Adama Barrow Renames Gambia by meeky007(m): 2:25pm On Jan 29, 2017
maybe hes a christian

(1) (Reply)

American Soldiers On Mission To Poland Brings Life To Polish Town. / See Reasons The 57 Year Old Crown Prince Was Replaced By The Son Of Saudi King / The Kiss Of The Married Woman That Eventually Scattered Mugabe's Kingdom. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.