Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,835 members, 7,828,052 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi (4534 Views)

Buhari, Obasanjo, Jonathan Are Colonial Masters, Says Bakare / The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo) / Why Colonial Masters Refused To Educate The North – Emir Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Rilwayne001: 8:37pm On Jan 29, 2017

Contrary to the prevailing stereotype that the northern region does not want western education, the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi 11, yesterday said the British were the ones who did not want to educate the North.

Speaking at the 60th anniversary, Founder’s Day Lecture and Magazine launch of the Kaduna Capital School, the Emir said that the northern region was defined and stereotyped as conservative and against western education. He quoted a statement by the secretary of states for the colonies as saying, “The purpose of the British administration in Northern Nigeria is to assist native administration to promote the true happiness and wellbeing of their people and not education and material development”.

He said, “The Sokoto caliphate was more literate than its learned pre-colonial neighbours and a social welfare system supported scholars and students across the caliphate. If many people can remember, Sultan Bello and Shehu Danfodio set up the first university in this part of the world where a lot of the bureaucrats who ran the emirate were trained in fields including Law, Hadith, Quran, Linguistics and Administration. Unfortunately, by the end of the colonial rule, the society became so backward that it could no longer compete with other parts of middle independent Nigeria. Because the situation is no better today, north-western and north-eastern Nigeria are considered the most education disadvantaged zones in the country and among the most disadvantaged areas in the world.

“The British established indirect rule and used local rulers to administer the colony. It was successful in northern Nigeria; hence, there is this false notion that emirs supported every colonial policy. In Kano, the Emir Abbas who submitted to the British following the civil war, tried to maintain the Islamic character of the Emirate despite colonial onslaught. He refused to compromise his Islamic position and because of that, many people thought Emir Abbas was opposed to western education. This was an emir who removed his son Abdulkadir who was the Ciroman Kano and sent him to a western school.

“Even on girls’ education, all the daughters of Emir Abdullahi Bayero were enrolled in Gidan Makama School in 1930. The princesses in Ilorin went to school before the princesses in other parts of the North. The families also never objected to the Catholic Schools. I went to a Catholic school.

“Emir Abdullahi Bayero pioneered many of the projects transiting Kano into the modern era; he established the first independent power plant and first water works in Northern Nigeria but people forget that one of his greatest contributions was in the area of education as he was the first leader who had the vision of integrating Islamic and western education. In 1928, he established the first school in the North that began the integration of Islamic and Western education under the leadership of Alhaji Suleiman who became the Wali of Kano,” he said.

Emir Sanusi maintained that any government that does not give priority to education and healthcare is simply implementing the anti-North policies of the British Colonial masters.

“The only thing that can unlock all the problems of the North is education. In fact, God will reward you more for educating the people than building mosques for them. The northern governors must begin to think of the 19 northern states as one economy, build institutions that will bring students together from across the Northern region”, he said.

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/colonial-masters-refused-to-educate-north-emir-sanusi/183009.html#3axlr11BF8PtgrJt.99

Cc: lalasticlala, mynd44
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Rilwayne001: 8:37pm On Jan 29, 2017
Eehya cry

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by oatzeal(m): 8:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
HMMMM...na wa ooo
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Rilwayne001: 8:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
oatzeal:
HMMMM...na wa ooo

undecided undecided
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by LORDOFAFONJAS: 8:40pm On Jan 29, 2017
Rilwayne001:
Eehya cry
if i send you an invite to the KINGDOM OF UNITED STATE OF AMERICA, can you make it as a muslim.... I am ready to send you an invite grin

2 Likes

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Blue3k(m): 8:43pm On Jan 29, 2017
That's funny how he through in that jab at Jigawa governor. Anyway after colonial government departed why is education still lagging behind. The people are religious so you'd expect literacy to be higher so they can read their Quran.

Hasn't their been government programs to improve education? Assuming it's no squandered or put in someone's swiss account. Private school pick up slack in Southern Nigeria.

The Emir present interesting arguements.

Emir Sanusi maintained that any government that does not give priority to education and healthcare is simply implementing the anti-North policies of the British Colonial masters.

“The only thing that can unlock all the problems of the North is education. In fact, God will reward you more for educating the people than building mosques for them. The northern governors must begin to think of the 19 northern states as one economy, build institutions that will bring students together from across the Northern region”, he said.
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by dokyOloye: 8:45pm On Jan 29, 2017
Ode.
Always talking wt both sides of their mouth.
Are d colonial masters still preventing d northerners from going to school up till today?
Come to Keffi in Nassarawa state,dominated by muslim northeners,50km to Abuja town,25km to Nyanya,yet children of school age still carry bowls and go into d streets every morning in d name of almajiri,wt no form of formal education.

10 Likes

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Likei(m): 8:45pm On Jan 29, 2017
its a lie..... Muslims say western education is a sin "boko haram" they are the ones who rejected western education.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Rilwayne001: 8:47pm On Jan 29, 2017
LORDOFAFONJAS:

if i send you an invite to the KINGDOM OF UNITED STATE OF AMERICA, can you make it as a muslim.... I am ready to send you an invite grin

Of course yes. Kindly send it.
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jan 29, 2017
Rubbish talk. North enjoy higher privileges under them than other regions.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 29, 2017
Rilwayne001 are you a northerner? Because base on the article above Illorin is classified as north since early 19s.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Tunami(m): 8:51pm On Jan 29, 2017
Rubbish talk.
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by CplusJason: 8:51pm On Jan 29, 2017
And GEJ was trying to give them FREE education but they choose a legendary herdsman who's punishing them with untold hardship and poverty.

BTW, Mallam na Mallam

Long live the Emir of Kano!

4 Likes

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by vatiqan(m): 8:53pm On Jan 29, 2017
They tried it but yoi chose to run after the cows, into the bush.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by mr1759: 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2017
colonial master only gave the north nomadic training.
so slaughtering is part of it
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Rilwayne001: 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2017
FriendChoice:
Rilwayne001 are you a northerner? Because base on the article above Illorin is classified as north since early 19s.

The capital was occupied by the Royal Niger Company in 1897 and its lands were incorporated into the British colony of Northern Nigeria in 1900, https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilorin

And from the same link: Ilorin is the state capital of Kwara in Western Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2017
CplusJason:
And GEJ was trying to give them FREE education but they choose a legendary herdsman who's punishing them with untold hardship and poverty.

BTW, Mallam na Mallam

Long live the Emir of Kano!

Which 1 is free education?

So during the ineffectual Buffon education is free in northern Nigeria. Haha grin grin I laugh in Otoeke haha gringrin
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by MONITZ: 9:01pm On Jan 29, 2017
Haha, thought a former minister of northern extraction made a statement which suggested that southerners were in a mad rush to acquire education for nothing. Their eyes don clear? When other parts of the country were acquiring education, the North held onto the military like it was their birthright and thru it they were able to change governments upon governments thru the instrumentality of coups...

Somebody should pls tell Emir Sanusi that he can't ve his cake and eat it at the same time. The status quo even favored and still favors the elite in the north because it is the only means thru which they can continue to subject their masses to all manners of misinformation and poverty...

1 Like

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 29, 2017
Rilwayne001:

The capital was occupied by the Royal Niger Company in 1897 and its lands were incorporated into the British colony of Northern Nigeria in 1900, https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilorin

And from the same link: Ilorin is the state capital of Kwara in Western Nigeria.

You first failed the question. I said "Are you a northerner? "

Secondly: I said the article above or are you blind? Let me help you quote it.

“Even on girls’ education, all the daughters of Emir Abdullahi Bayero were enrolled in Gidan Makama School in 1930. The princesses in Ilorin went to
school before the princesses in other parts of the North.
The families also never objected to the Catholic Schools. I went to a Catholic school.

Finally: Your Wikipedia link is not working.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by dokyOloye: 9:02pm On Jan 29, 2017
FriendChoice:

Which 1 is free education?

So during the ineffectual Buffon education is free in northern Nigeria. Haha grin grin I laugh in Otoeke haha gringrin
almajiri schools were free.
But as a Taqqiya muslim that U are,U will prefer to lie about it.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by hucienda: 9:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
They left 57 years ago.

So what's the new excuse for the ensuing 57 years and counting?

4 Likes

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 29, 2017
dokyOloye:

And how much is Almajiri school now? I have never seen any Almajiri School only on Nairaland. So before Gej we are not enrol into the education system.

How old is University Of Maiduguri? (The centre of insurgency?)

How old is Bayero University Of Kano ? (Core Northern State)

How old is Abu, Unijos, Unilorin?

All aforementioned were built by Gej?
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Rilwayne001: 9:08pm On Jan 29, 2017
FriendChoice:

You first failed the question. I said "Are you a northerner? "

No, i am not a Northerner.

Secondly: I said the article above or are you blind? Let me help you quote it.

No, i am not blind. I was actually trying to connect what was said in the article about Ilorin with what we have on that Wikipedia link. The underlined part in my earlier post should make it obvious that your question was answered.

Finally: Your Wikipedia link is not working.

Sorry, i actually edited it. This should do: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilorin

1 Like

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Rilwayne001: 9:10pm On Jan 29, 2017
MONITZ:
Haha, thought a former minister of northern extraction made a statement which suggested that southerners were in a mad rush to acquire education for nothing. Their eyes don clear? When other parts of the country were acquiring education, the North held onto the military like it was their birthright and thru it they were able to change governments upon governments thru the instrumentality of coups...

Somebody should pls tell Emir Dania that he can't ve his cake and eat it at the same time. The status quo even favored and still favors the elite in the north because it is the only means thru which they can continue to subject their masses to all manners of misinformation and poverty...

Nicely put. smiley
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 29, 2017
Rilwayne001:

No, i am not a Northerner.

So what are you ? An indigene of Kwara belongs to which part of Nigeria?

No, i am not blind. I was actually trying to connect what was said in the article about Ilorin with what we have on that Wikipedia link. The underlined part in my earlier post should make it obvious that your question was answered.

According to the link illorin become North for the past one hundred and 17 years (More than a century) ?
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by freeze001(f): 9:13pm On Jan 29, 2017
Blue3k:
That's funny how he through in that jab at Jigawa governor. Anyway after colonial government departed why is education still lagging behind. The people are religious so you'd expect literacy to be higher so they can read their Quran.

Hasn't their been government programs to improve education? Assuming it's no squandered or put in someone's swiss account. Private school pick up slack in Southern Nigeria.

They don't necessarily need to read the quran for themselves especially at that almajiri level, all they do is rote learning and reproduction of sounds. The moment they get d sounds n pronunciation of the Arabic words right, their teachers and imams interprete whatever catches their fancy and sets then up as catastrophes waiting to happen.

3 Likes

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by dokyOloye: 9:19pm On Jan 29, 2017
FriendChoice:

And how much is Almajiri school now? I have never seen any Almajiri School only in Nairaland.
U said U r not a northener,so hw can u know abt almajiri school?
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 29, 2017
dokyOloye:
U said U r not a northener,so hw can u know abt almajiri school?

When and Where did I said so? I have modified my post, thus adding more details to it.
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by CplusJason: 9:24pm On Jan 29, 2017
dokyOloye:
If he like make he slam e forehead 5times for ground.......

Na you get time to dey answer the slowpoke.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by BigIyanga: 9:27pm On Jan 29, 2017
FriendChoice:

And how much is Almajiri school now? I have never seen any Almajiri School only on Nairaland. So before Gej we are not enrol into the education system.

How old is University Of Maiduguri? (The centre of insurgency?)

How old is Bayero University Of Kano ? (Core Northern State)

How old is Abu, Unijos, Unilorin?

All aforementioned were built by Gej?
Keep living in denial... 11m northern kids aren't enrolled in school.
Kano is the largest state in Naija, but it graduates fewer sec schl students than small states like Ebonyi and Ekiti.
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 29, 2017
Blue3k:

Girls child education is free in Jigawa. They have two University now federal university dutse and Sule Lamido University. A state and federal polytechnic. College of education, school in nursing and school of health technology. The ones I know.
Re: Colonial Masters Refused To Educate North – Emir Sanusi by Rilwayne001: 9:29pm On Jan 29, 2017
FriendChoice:

So what are you ?

Westerner.

An indigene of Kwara belongs to which part of Nigeria?

Kwara is not all about Ilorin alone. Ilorin as a matter of fact is closer to SW that North, and therefore is a south Western state, which automatically makes me one. We have other parts of kwara state that are closer to the north.

From the link i posted Ilorin is the state capital of Kwara in Western Nigeria. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilorin

According to the link illorin become North for the past one hundred and 17 years (More than a century) ?

It was incorporated, which means it was never part of the north. Get it?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

female Sheridan terrorist: obasanjo (Biafra) is a. lunatic, madman / Sallah: Yobe Government Places 12-Hour Ban On Vehicular Movements / Senators, Reps Boo Buhari, Shehu Sani Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.