Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,197 members, 7,818,655 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

DIY - Drivers License Renewal - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / DIY - Drivers License Renewal (1651 Views)

FRSC Sets Deadline For Number Plates Violation, Drivers License / How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? / FRSC Gives Reasons For Drivers License Issuance Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY - Drivers License Renewal by adanny01(m): 10:42pm On Jan 30, 2017
We constantly hear tales of how much it cost to get The Nigerian Drivers License. From the tales, it cost anywhere between N6,350-20,000 for 3 years and N10,350-30,000 for 5year drivers license. A woman i know got her express plastic drivers license in 3 days with 20k including data capture.

Its a fact that the official cost is N6,000 or N10,000 plus N350 bank charge. The question is, why the extra charges?

My expired license was done 3 years ago and i spent N8,350. The normal N6,350 was paid in the bank plus 2 demands for N1,000 where made at 2 stages of the process. My understanding was i was paying for 2 internet services which is the purpose i created this thread to discuss on detailed experiences processing DL.

Last time, I paid N1,000 to get my Application ID which is an 11 digit number that is used for payment and another N1,000 for an officer to acknowledge the payment and give me the validation number.

Essentially, i paid bribe of 2k even though the FRSC website is designed to process all this at a sitting anywhere with any connection to the internet on mobile phones, tablet or PC.

So i encouraged myself to make sure i bypass all these and get to the furthest point before stepping a foot at the capture centre. My advise to anyone who will try this, is find the DL center that is least populated before you start the process. The least populated center will give you the least waiting time for data capture. Also, the best payment method is the Visa or Mastercard option since you can do it at no extra charge and in the comfort of your home, have at least N6,350 or N10,350 for 3 or 5 years resp as min available balance in your account. Best time is night time or weekends as the website doesnt respond well during office hrs. Even while am tying this, the website hasn't been responding for hours. Note, the renewal process is only for those who did data capture for their first license.

All you need to start the renewal process is to have your License number (L/NO) which is just above your passport and your D of B. Note, you can only initiate this renewal process 2 months prior to the expiry date on your DL. Its easy to find the option in the drop down menu on the website (https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org). All your info should show up once the right L/no and DoB is used. You can make updates to the data which in my case is the address that has changed. Some of the details cannot be changed while others can only be done by visiting the data capture center. Only the FRSC staff have access to such data especially the personal details section. Next important section is the processing office selection. It is advisable to select Yes for data capturing since it wont make a difference if you dont want it updated.

Next step is very important, dont print this form after this stage if you intend to pay in the bank. Click on proceed to payment and select the appropriate payment option. If you are paying in the bank, print at this stage but if paying visa or mastercard just proceed. The card payment is straight forward (not Security code is the 3 digit code behind the card. If payment is successful, it will show and display your validation number. At this point, print and take this form stapled with a photocopy of the expired DL.

At this stage, there is nothing they can ask for except the print out and checking your acknowledgement page to confirm your payment by a staff of board of internal revenue officer who should sign ( they may still ask for money here). The last step is for the authorizing officer.

In most cases, those who show up for the first time with armed with completed payment are either exempted from frivolous demands for fear of implicating themselves or frustrated by deliberate delay.
Re: DIY - Drivers License Renewal by nurey(m): 8:49am On Jan 31, 2017
You cannot initiate renewal until it's 30days to expiration. I confirmed this myself.

I paid 10350 for the 5yrs renewal, and I chose an option of non recapture means the print out will come out early enough for me as I don't need to recapture the bad side to this is that instead of been given a temporary ID, I have to be carrying documents around (paper)

I paid 1k as bribe to the guy that will sign my online print out and 500 to the vio for exam and eye test which I didn't do. The photocopy of my print out was acknowledge and I was to come back around April for the permanent ID.

What I notice is you can't by pass the bribe and agent thing because the agents themselves are the ones sitting in the staff office while the staffs are no where to be found until you pepper the hands of the agents and touts
Re: DIY - Drivers License Renewal by adanny01(m): 10:04am On Jan 31, 2017
nurey:
You cannot initiate renewal until it's 30days to expiration. I confirmed this myself.

I paid 10350 for the 5yrs renewal, and I chose an option of non recapture means the print out will come out early enough for me as I don't need to recapture the bad side to this is that instead of been given a temporary ID, I have to be carrying documents around (paper)

I paid 1k as bribe to the guy that will sign my online print out and 500 to the vio for exam and eye test which I didn't do. The photocopy of my print out was acknowledge and I was to come back around April for the permanent ID.

What I notice is you can't by pass the bribe and agent thing because the agents themselves are the ones sitting in the staff office while the staffs are no where to be found until you pepper the hands of the agents and touts

Yea, its 30 days. I actually tried in Nov but i couldn't get access.

Thats the exact reason it is better to recapture to get the temporary DL. Else, anyone can still be a victim with the police carrying just the acknowledgment paper.

Thats why it is advisable to find the least populated centre. I am mostly in Abj, but i never do my car docs in Abj. In Kafanchan-Kaduna st, FRSC officials sit idle and dozing waiting for people to come for processing. There are zero touts. They can only ask for money to fuel generator if there is no NEPA electricity. I also noticed that it is better to go in the morning when they still have battery charge in their laptops, else, more money for fuel.

Also, the site has been down since last night, only came minutes ago after about 12hrs. The same problem i had last week.

I have already made up my mind to give them something which is just assistance for fuel. This amount will not be more than 1k
Re: DIY - Drivers License Renewal by nurey(m): 10:43am On Jan 31, 2017
adanny01:

Yea, its 30 days. I actually tried in Nov but i couldn't get access.

Thats the exact reason it is better to recapture to get the temporary DL. Else, anyone can still be a victim with the police carrying just the acknowledgment paper.

Thats why it is advisable to find the least populated centre. I am mostly in Abj, but i never do my car docs in Abj. In Kafanchan-Kaduna st, FRSC officials sit idle and dozing waiting for people to come for processing. There are zero touts. They can only ask for money to fuel generator if there is no NEPA electricity. I also noticed that it is better to go in the morning when they still have battery charge in their laptops, else, more money for fuel.

Also, the site has been down since last night, only came minutes ago after about 12hrs. The same problem i had last week.

I have already made up my mind to give them something which is just assistance for fuel. This amount will not be more than 1k

I decided to by pass the capture as its better to go in the morning which is hard for me as I run two jobs. driving family to work and also resuming work early. As for police harassing me, its hard because a yahoo boy doesn't drive Toyota sienna. most times I get flagged down is straight to "what do you have for us"

the capturing center in eti osa lagos is extremely fast but not without touts and agents
Re: DIY - Drivers License Renewal by adanny01(m): 4:16pm On Jan 31, 2017
I did my data capture and got the temporary license today.

However, it was not without the anticipated maltreatment because i did most of the stuff myself. They didnt tell me there was another fee of N500 to be paid to Kaduna state revenue acc for Driving test, Vision test and test certificate. Zenith bank had no network since Friday so i was not able to pay. They told me to come back and proceed when the bank is able to receive my N500 fee, without which there is no approval.

So i resorted to begging to give them N1000, N500 they will pay for me in the bank and N500 for the guy to use as TP or his inconvenience and N500 to fuel their gen. The guy who had already started the gen and the system insisted i must pay N2,000. Before i said jack, he turned off the system and turned off the gen. My plea fell on his deaf ear but fell on his boss's ear who asked him to understand. This is a guy i recognize at a popular joint. The gen refused to start afterwards which i felt the guy must have tempered with it and kept me for an hr saying the fuel was short. He took my N1,500 and went out bought like N500 fuel. he tried once more but the gen didnt start. Another 30mins later, the gen started one attempt. The guy chatted with me well afterwards and promised to call me this evening probably to buy him beer.

From the look of things, one cannot avoid paying extra N500 -1,000 which they never pre inform at the beginning of the process. So many people have made inquiries in my presence and they always tell people N6,350 and 10,350 for 3 and 5yrs plus N6,000 for driving school cert and 250 for lerners permit for new applications if they have to be detailed. If asked the round up figure the say 15k or 20k. When you come, the story changes.
Re: DIY - Drivers License Renewal by nurey(m): 4:28pm On Jan 31, 2017
I would advise a first timer to just pay the damn 15k or 20k depending on year and get it over with. If you pay online this guy's will frustrate your efforts, before your details is sent to the office for capturing.

Now you see adanny01 they will fleece you in small frsc office because once in a while customer has to pay extra for the missing no customer days. Lol

Even if I registered for recapture I won't need to pay a dime to anyone I just by passes it since my face never change 3years ago

2 Likes

Re: DIY - Drivers License Renewal by lonelydora: 6:24pm On Jan 31, 2017
FRSC officials will frustrate you when you pay online.
Re: DIY - Drivers License Renewal by adanny01(m): 7:06pm On Jan 31, 2017
nurey:
I would advise a first timer to just pay the damn 15k or 20k depending on year and get it over with. If you pay online this guy's will frustrate your efforts, before your details is sent to the office for capturing.

Now you see adanny01 they will fleece you in small frsc office because once in a while customer has to pay extra for the missing no customer days. Lol

Even if I registered for recapture I won't need to pay a dime to anyone I just by passes it since my face never change 3years ago

I guess, if the bank was working, I will be sent to MW&T for the test which am sure they will just sign as they may not have the equipment. At least i spent minimally. In Abj, renewal is 10k flat, the data capture waiting is weeks. All was summarized in 2hrs which would have been less than 30mins.

It means it is possible to renew DL with less than 7k. They confessed to me i am the second person who paid by myself. The first was a female lecturer, they told me. She came to their office and paid right in front of them on her laptop. On of the other officers who wasnt around when i came was asking for my teller but they told him thee was none and he got confused.

Less i forget, before i left a man came to the center from a centre in Jos who has not been captured since Nov 2013! We were all shocked. He has been driving with teller for 3years plus. He was seeking for assistance since they have not been straight with him.
Re: DIY - Drivers License Renewal by nurey(m): 8:32pm On Jan 31, 2017
adanny01:

I guess, if the bank was working, I will be sent to MW&T for the test which am sure they will just sign as they may not have the equipment. At least i spent minimally. In Abj, renewal is 10k flat, the data capture waiting is weeks. All was summarized in 2hrs which would have been less than 30mins.

It means it is possible to renew DL with less than 7k. They confessed to me i am the second person who paid by myself. The first was a female lecturer, they told me. She came to their office and paid right in front of them on her laptop. On of the other officers who wasnt around when i came was asking for my teller but they told him thee was none and he got confused.

Less i forget, before i left a man came to the center from a centre in Jos who has not been captured since Nov 2013! We were all shocked. He has been driving with teller for 3years plus. He was seeking for assistance since they have not been straight with him.

That's good, I did still say you are lucky. Corruption has disable real reasoning in Nigeria. If you intend to fight for your right and shout, nah one Nigerian go still come meet you say you dey shout make you Roger them and commot. I just Taya for public office workers and their Roger me attitude
Re: DIY - Drivers License Renewal by sooperrescue(m): 4:33am On Feb 04, 2017
I just followed your advice and I have initiated the process of renewing my old driver's license that expired 2 years ago. I have made payment online and I intend to go on Monday with the slip. All these tips will not be necessary if you stand your ground. I have direct access with the Corp Marshall and it will be a trial for these guys if they mess up. When I got the second real license because the first one which I went for the capture in their office in Abuja was not in their database, they stylishly added 650 Naira to the 6350 Naira as bank charges for paying cash. I did the test with the VIO and it was an eye opener but I passed after arguing with them that these road signs are nowhere to be found on Nigerian roads and that if they were even there, it has been defaced by posters from all sorts of adverts. The VIO boss for the License in Abuja had to intervene and admitted that the road signs are not on the road and even the driving school does not have the current road signs that are asked the candidates at the test center. The eye test is included in the 6350 Naira and so it is free. We need to start the process of making sure no one is paid for what he does not deserve. They are public servants and they are paid for their job. If we pay for little things, we will surely bribe for bigger issues. But there are some scenarios where you need to pay and leave there immediately, ie the passport office and even the magistrate courts where you pay for your freedom even before you appear before a magistrate...

(1) (Reply)

Most Nigerians Are Very Wicked, Selfish Drivers / Car Alternator / See World’s Biggest, Most Bizarre SUV Built By Billionaire Sheikh In UAE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.