Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,503 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries (805 Views)

Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections / Edgar Lungu Wants U.S. Ambassador Out Of The Country For Defending Gay Couple / Trump Defends His Executive Order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by Cyriloha(m): 6:17am On Jan 31, 2017
US President Donald Trump has defended his executive order ban on seven Islamic countries, saying it isn't a 'Muslim ban', rather an 'extreme vetting' . In a White House statement on Saturday afternoon, he said:
'My policy is similar to what President Obama did in 2011 when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months,' Trump said of his own order, which is slated to expire in 90 days. Obama's directive, carried out in response to a specific terror threat, affected only refugees.
He added that the seven countries– Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia Sudan, Syria and Yemen – 'are the same countries previously identified by the Obama administration as sources of terror.' He continued..
'To be clear, this is not a Muslim ban, as the media is falsely reporting. This is not about religion – this is about terror and keeping our country safe. There are over 40 different countries worldwide that are majority Muslim that are not affected by this order.'
'What people need to understand is that 325,000 foreign travelers came into the United States.' 'About 109 of those people were retained – detained for further questioning because they came from the identified seven countries that the Obama administration and both houses of Congress have identified as being countries that harbor and train terrorists.'

White House official Reince Priebus said on NBC's 'Meet the Press' that one of the Democrats' main points of contention – a fear that the executive order made lawful permanent residents, those holding 'green cards,' eligible for the same special screening as first-time visitors.
He said:
'The executive order doesn't affect green card holders moving forward,' Priebus said.
'If they have a person that's traveling back and forth to Libya or Somalia or Yemen, I would suspect within their discretion, they might ask a few more questions at JFK or some other airport when someone's coming back and forth within their discretionary authority as a customs and border patrol agent,' he said.
'And what I'm saying is I would suspect that most Americans would agree that that might be a good thing to do.'
Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly declared the entry of lawful permanent residents, also known as green card holders, to be of national interest on Sunday evening. He said:
'In applying the provisions of the president's executive order, I hereby deem the entry of lawful permanent residents to be in the national interest,' he said in a statement.
'Accordingly, absent the receipt of significant derogatory information indicating a serious threat to public safety and welfare, lawful permanent resident status will be a dispositive factor in our case-by-case determinations.'
Even after Kelly’s statement there were still unanswered questions about what the government intended to do about refugees who had received permission to come to the United States before Trump signed his order Friday afternoon.

Two court rulings questioned whether Trump could reject by executive action valid immigration documents issued by the government itself. Airports remained the frontline in the battle. Crowds gathered at airports in Miami, Dallas, Cleveland, Charlotte, N.C., New York, Washington, San Francisco and Chicago. Exasperation grew on all sides, and some immigration officials threw up their hands.
“They finally stopped talking to us altogether and told us to call President Trump,” said Becca Heller, director of the International Refugee Assistance Project.

Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by Cyriloha(m): 6:19am On Jan 31, 2017
Trump is giving zero ffffk

God bless you sir
Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by EternalTruths: 6:25am On Jan 31, 2017
Trump needs to be told about Fulani herdsmen terrorism across the Christian part of Nigeria so that he can do something about these evil herdsmen angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by Nobody: 6:33am On Jan 31, 2017
I love the guts with which this man acts
a real president indeed

2 Likes

Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by aishatu19(f): 6:34am On Jan 31, 2017
I don't blame Muslims for being Muslims wherever they are: in buses, in the streets, in secular places, christian places, in political offices, military etc. I blame Christians for being hypocrites. They are only Christians in church and on Sundays.

They love their lives and their money more than their Faith. You will find a Christian blaming a fellow Christian who is being persecuted by Muslims (what an irony)! Christians read only passages in the Holy Bible that promises them "riches". Take they old Testament, they will preach verses of Tithes but ignore verse of Defense of Faith. These persecution of Christians will continue until they learn from the Jews.
Christian countries even deny their status and call themselves Secular States. Muslim majority countries don't do that. Christians always strive to be politically correct. I wonder whom that would please. I believe some Christians teachers should read the Qu'ran to better understand what they are up against.

Christian only know how to come to Social Media and rant. Its pathetic. Most Muslims (in the North) don't waste their time. They don't need to voice their concerns or threaten. They simply act when its time. They listen mainly to radio to be informed with relevant stuff. Are they not Christians in SSS, DIA, NAF, EFCC? Are they not Christians in Aso Rock? Are they not Christians Governors? I am sure u get my point. Christians sees their job as secular. Muslims see their language, culture, job, office, business, banking , etc as Islamic.

If this trend should continue, Islam will take over the World. Just give it time. There is one Redeem Pastor ( Is it Pst Emma?) whom I believe is a bit enlightened when I listened to his tape. Don't be shock that it is Christians who will disclaim him words. Muslims know he is very right. Only people like Obassanjo, Fayose, Femi Fani are forces to be contented in the South in a small scale. None of the clergy down south seems to bother even when their members here are killed. They are only worried when heir personal life is threatened (like two two cases Pastors down south who called for Self defense simple because the received life threatening intel). Their reactions were selfish but commended.

Christians in small community must arm themselves with physical and spiritual weapons. Forget you political and religious leaders. They will always betray you and fly abroad where their families are. CAN can do little. Form a strong neighborhood watch. Arms your youths and pray. Let your educated ones form a long term plan because from what I hear, Muslims have been planning all along.
For those reading this, forgive my grammatical blunders. In my heart I love everyone irrespective of their religion. I simple hate wickedness and blood thirst in the hearts of some Muslims. God bless you. God Bless Nigeria!
Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by Gambitt007(m): 6:38am On Jan 31, 2017
all hail, alhaji Donald trump.....The eziogwu of sakorome landgrin

Nigeria needs the kind of president......not that gworo chewing and kunu sipping President Buhari

Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by Omudia11: 6:42am On Jan 31, 2017
Ok

1 Like

Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by rusher14: 6:56am On Jan 31, 2017
I see nobody is bringing the Sunni/ Shi'a angle.
Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by wydmag(m): 7:02am On Jan 31, 2017
This is a president with vision, not a president with a singular and questionable agenda. Who doesn't know that America is more corrupt than Nigeria, Yet their president employs tactical moves to solve all the problems as they come. He is futuristic though many people don't get him because he is arrogant and straight forward but he produces the required results. Unlike a president who is even confused of his on singular campaign against corruption!
Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by IVORY2009(m): 7:16am On Jan 31, 2017
[s]
rusher14:
I see nobody is bringing the Sunni/ Shi'a angle.
[/s]
Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by Nobody: 7:36am On Jan 31, 2017
b
Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by Nobody: 9:21am On Jan 31, 2017
No guts no glory.
Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by Radiohead6(f): 10:18am On Feb 01, 2017
Gambitt007:
all hail, alhaji Donald trump.....The eziogwu of sakorome landgrin

Nigeria needs the kind of president......not that gworo chewing and kunu sipping President Buhari
idiat
Re: Trump's Official Statement Defending His Executive Order Against The 7 Countries by Gambitt007(m): 10:39am On Feb 01, 2017
Radiohead6:
idiat

(1) (Reply)

China: The 21st Century Superpower Bargaining From A Position Of Strength / Trade War? EU Ready For Economic Counter-sanctions If US Anti-russia Bill Signed / U.S. To Deploy Military Forces To Saudi Arabia After Drone Attacks On Oil Sites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.