Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,286 members, 7,836,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" (1412 Views)

Is This The End Of One North / Ekiti APC Secretariat Turned To 'Shrine' (Photo) / Fulani Herdsman Killed In Ekiti, Fayose Said Ekiti Should Not Be Turned To War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" by NuclearWinter: 3:41pm On Jan 31, 2017
The mantra "one north" was first coined and reiterated by the late Sarduna of Sokoto, Ahmadu Bello.

Most of you will be forgiven to take Ahmadu's "one north" rhetoric to mean a one united north but that wasn't what Ahmadu Bello was pushing for with that statement.

Ahmadu Bello was staunchly against the British plan of partitioning the northern protectorate but that did not stop him from pushing for the partitioning of the southern protectorate along ethnic lines.

The north remains the most diverse region in Nigeria with more ethnic groups combined than the south, so the "one north" mantra was only being echoed by the likes of the Sarduna only with the considerations of the Hausa/Fulani elite agenda and not in any way meant to reflect the yearnings of the minority groups that criss-cross the northern landscape.

Only important factor leading to the "one north" agenda by the Hausa/Fulani Muslim class is the fact that the Sokoto Caliphate was still bent on renewing their Jihad once the British left.

Consider the original map of the Sokoto Caliphate to that of Northern Nigeria circa 1960 and you will see that apart from the Kanuri empire, Kogi, Benue, Taraba and parts of southern Adamawa, the Sokoto Caliphate was well intact during British colonial rule.

So while the southern protectorates allowed themselves to be further weakened by British partition, the Hausa/Fulani resisted any attempt to partition the north.

This will later serve the north well as the British will use landmass and a skewed censors to give northern Nigeria more sits in parliament than both the western and eastern regions combined thereby solidifying Hausa/Fulani political control of Nigeria.

From "One north" which serves only the Hausa/Fulani muslim agenda we ended up with "one Nijeriya" under the same Hausa/Fulani domination.

7 Likes

Re: How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" by sarrki(m): 3:42pm On Jan 31, 2017
Wailers getting confused day by day

1 Like

Re: How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" by izombie(m): 3:42pm On Jan 31, 2017
Looking at the nigeria map up there, i have just realized that the north is a heavy burden on the south of nigeria. Just look at that.

One more thing, the guy above me is a shameless zombie.
And the guy below me is an unrepentant zombie.

4 Likes

Re: How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" by sarrki(m): 3:43pm On Jan 31, 2017
izombie:
T

T ?
Re: How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" by NuclearWinter: 3:43pm On Jan 31, 2017
sarrki:
Wailers getting confused day by day

I blame you.

2 Likes

Re: How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" by BlowBack: 7:48pm On May 21, 2017
Re: How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" by SHTFguy: 10:27am On Sep 09, 2017
They will be seeking to divide the people of the south just as they did with the dichotomy of SS and SE and which Tanko Yakassi stated with the Yoruba muslim problem whose loyalty is first and foremost to Sokoto than Odua.
Re: How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" by ZombieNation: 12:09pm On Mar 13, 2019
izombie:
Looking at the nigeria map up there, i have just realized that the north is a heavy burden on the south of nigeria. Just look at that.

One more thing, the guy above me is a shameless zombie.
And the guy below me is an unrepentant zombie.

BuhariAdvocate is begging for southern unity for the selfish reason of having a useless Yoruba presidency come 2023.

Rather than going into a self serving alliance that the Yorubas want for the sole purpose of achieving a Yoruba presidency, the better south (SS and SE) should explore an alliance with the Christian middle belt.

Benue and Taraba have since pulled out of Arewa.

The SS and SE should embrace these two states and other nationals like the Igalas in Kogi, Berom people in Plateau, Gbagi people in Abuja, Kaduna, Niger and Kogi.

Yorubas can serve as slaves to the north for all I care.
Re: How The "One North" Facade Turned To "One Nijeriya" by TheDevilIsALai: 7:47am On Feb 04, 2020
Bump

(1) (Reply)

Reno Omokiri Shades Buhari On Twitter. / Sex Evangelism Of Christians / Nigerians Demands Amaechi's Sack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.