Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,425 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations (655 Views)

Own A Farm Today / Man Without Legs Ploughing On A Farm (Photos) / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations by polo35: 6:28pm On Jan 31, 2017
I am starting a farm around Abeokuta and Ibadan. I have an idea of what exactly i want to do, but still very unclear on how to start and what areas to focus on.
Before getting myself too involved, I am desperately seeking for your advice and recommendations.

Land Information:

Size: 6 plots

Ideas of what to focus on: 1. Cassava and coin farm 2. Pig farm 3. Goat farm 4. Fish farm 5. Yam farm

I do not want to make a wrong move...Please your great advice and recommendations are needed desperately.

Thanks!
Re: Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations by saliubello(m): 6:30pm On Jan 31, 2017
I will suggest you read through this piece, perhaps it might be of help

https://www.nairaland.com/3369206/farmer-business-school-learning-simple
Re: Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations by alakara(m): 9:57pm On Jan 31, 2017
what other things do you av on ground.
Re: Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations by polo35: 10:40pm On Jan 31, 2017
At the moment, nothing...just getting started.
Re: Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations by alakara(m): 6:59am On Feb 01, 2017
You can do vegetables, piggery and fishery now. If you dont have any experience,mentor under practising farmers around you. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations by showietee: 9:59pm On Feb 01, 2017
Am about to start as well in the same axis, already know some practising farmer in the neighborhood.

I will advice you start small and expand over time as results is favourable, also you have to do some training.
Re: Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations by polo35: 2:49pm On Feb 02, 2017
alakara:
You can do vegetables, piggery and fishery now.
If you dont have any experience,mentor under practising farmers around you.
Thanks.
I am seriously looking at Piggery, but I am yet to see a high demand for pig meat in Ibadan, Lagos or Abeokuta....I'm also, looking at the size of the land, Fishery may not be a bad idea.

Vegetables too sounds like a great idea, but my question is, what type of vegetables should I focus on as a new farmer?

I look forward to your input.

Thanks!
Re: Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations by polo35: 2:52pm On Feb 02, 2017
showietee:
Am about to start as well in the same axis, already know some practising farmer in the neighborhood.

I will advice you start small and expand over time as results is favourable, also you have to do some training.

I have a couple of people that will do the training. My focus is on managing the operation of the farm.

Starting small is a great idea.

May I ask you what area do you plan to focus on?

Thanks!
Re: Starting A Farm...seeking Advice And Recommendations by alakara(m): 11:29am On Feb 03, 2017
polo35:

I am seriously looking at Piggery, but I am yet to see a high demand for pig meat in Ibadan, Lagos or Abeokuta....I'm also, looking at the size of the land, Fishery may not be a bad idea.

Vegetables too sounds like a great idea, but my question is, what type of vegetables should I focus on as a new farmer?

I look forward to your input.

Thanks!

Now that were in dry season you can plant soko,ewedu and tete if u av irrigation.

For the pig there is demand for pig especially the ibo use to come to buy in bulk.

(1) (Reply)

Imported Battery Cages @ #87,000 / How To Access Bank Of Agriculture Loans / Ilorin Poultry Farmers Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.