Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,452 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? (1214 Views)

Get Free Host And Free Domain Name Forever / Pls Kindly Help With A DMCA Free Host... / Help!---- How To Host A Website On A Free Host Platform (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by pxjosh(m): 8:42pm On Feb 01, 2017
I plan to start a blog, so I bought a dot com domain. The plan I had in mine was to use the domain name on the blogger platform.

Now someone told me WordPress is way faster than blogger and I should host my site on the WordPress platform.

Now I don't know if I should start with blogger or just register for free host and then install WordPress on the free host. Experts please help me out on this.
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by Jose213(m): 8:58pm On Feb 01, 2017
pxjosh:
I plan to start a blog, so I bought a dot com domain. The plan I had in mine was to use the domain name on the blogger platform.

Now someone told me WordPress is way faster than blogger and I should host my site on the WordPress platform.

Now I don't know if I should start with blogger or just register for free host and then install WordPress on the free host. Experts please help me out on this.

I would say go with a free reputable host.

Blogger is good but full of limitations unless you know how to dig in to code.

Use wordpress and learn with that free host until the time you can be comfortable paying for your own hosting.
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by pxjosh(m): 9:01pm On Feb 01, 2017
Jose213:

I would say go with a free reputable host.

Blogger is good but full of limitations unless you know how to dig in to code.

Use wordpress and learn with that free host until the time you can be comfortable paying for your own hosting.
Thank you. I'm going to register with 000webhost
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by Julius2214(m): 4:51pm On Feb 02, 2017
pxjosh:
Thank you. I'm going to register with 000webhost
I would advice you go for blogger for the main time, since you can move all your contents to WordPress whenever you're ready.

Free website hosting can come with lots of downtime and no support, and you can’t really complain because, after all, it’s free!

With free website hosting you are probably going to have slower than normal page load speed times because their servers are overcrowded. Hey, everyone else wants it for free too! Slow page load times will hurt you with search engine rankings and could make it impossible for you to gain top spots in searches for your industry or local market.

And, keep in mind, because you don’t own the hosting, there is no guarantee how long the free website host will be around, or if they will continue to offer you free hosting. Free website hosts often have limited support options, if any at all, and such companies tend to come and go in the industry.

Just start with blogger first and see how it goes. You can holla me if you need my help.
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by bedfordng(m): 4:57pm On Feb 02, 2017
pxjosh:

using a free webhost for your blog would be your worse nightmare. Even some well known paid host are messing up, not to talk of free host. If you don't have cash to maintain a wp blog, don't even think of going there because you may end up getting frustrated if you don't make cash while maintaining it except you have other means of generating income that can sustain your blogging platform. If i would advice you, it will be to use blogger but if you have cash, then you can pay for hosting to use wordpress. So don't ever think of using free host for wp blog else you end up losing it in the long run
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by pxjosh(m): 9:19pm On Feb 02, 2017
Julius2214:

I would advice you go for blogger for the main time, since you can move all your contents to WordPress whenever you're ready.

Free website hosting can come with lots of downtime and no support, and you can’t really complain because, after all, it’s free!

With free website hosting you are probably going to have slower than normal page load speed times because their servers are overcrowded. Hey, everyone else wants it for free too! Slow page load times will hurt you with search engine rankings and could make it impossible for you to gain top spots in searches for your industry or local market.

And, keep in mind, because you don’t own the hosting, there is no guarantee how long the free website host will be around, or if they will continue to offer you free hosting. Free website hosts often have limited support options, if any at all, and such companies tend to come and go in the industry.

Just start with blogger first and see how it goes. You can holla me if you need my help.

Thank you so much!
Yesterday I registered with 000webhost and after installing WordPress and all that I started seeing their ad on the footer of my site! I tried editing it but I couldn't. I went online and read comparisons between WordPress and blogger and i got to understand blogger was better than using a free host, when you have a domain name.
I've moved over to blogger.
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by Julius2214(m): 11:46pm On Feb 02, 2017
pxjosh:

Thank you so much!
Yesterday I registered with 000webhost and after installing WordPress and all that I started seeing their ad on the footer of my site! I tried editing it but I couldn't. I went online and read comparisons between WordPress and blogger and i got to understand blogger was better than using a free host, when you have a domain name.
I've moved over to blogger.

Nice! As times goes on and you got enough funds, you can then purchase hosting and move to WordPress.
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by pxjosh(m): 12:02am On Feb 03, 2017
Julius2214:

Nice! As times goes on and you got enough funds, you can then purchase hosting and move to WordPress.
Thank you. I like the subscribe to e-mail thingy at the top of your blog. How'd u set it there?
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by Julius2214(m): 12:11am On Feb 03, 2017
pxjosh:

Thank you. I like the subscribe to e-mail thingy at the top of your blog. How'd u set it there?
I use sumoMe which also works with blogger.

Visit www.sumoMe.com to sign up.
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by phililp(m): 12:50am On Feb 03, 2017
guys! abeg hang on... am really confused about something... do WordPress offer a hosting service.. if no then the plans listed there are for what. is it for using the wp or wat exactly... ama newbie... thanks
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by pxjosh(m): 11:06am On Feb 04, 2017
phililp:
guys! abeg hang on... am really confused about something... do WordPress offer a hosting service.. if no then the plans listed there are for what. is it for using the wp or wat exactly... ama newbie... thanks
There's and WordPress.org

will give you free hosting but you can't use a custom domain name (e.g Nairaland dot come is a domain name). Your site or blog must carry 'dot WordPress dot com' at the end (e.g Nairaland dot WordPress dot com).

But for WordPress.org you don't get free hosting. You have to pay for hosting, then install WordPress on that hosting space. Clear enough?
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by HostForBlog: 9:26am On Mar 10, 2017
Wordpress.org is the way you should go its so easy to find a cheap and reliable host for your blog these days.

You can download latest version of wordpress from wordpress.org and install it manually on the host you bought it will come around USD3 to USD4 per month at most.

Advantages of own domain and a good host...

You will have a control over your blog
Its fairly cheap
You will get professional support from hosting team
and self wordpress give you more options and its scalable
you can install plugins for your various purposes
best platform for SEO friendly posts
Google loves best seo optimized blogs wordpress is the way to go for best SEO

Hope these will help you to make a decision.

Thank you
Jayadevan
Re: I Have A Domain Name. Should I Use A Free Host Or Use Blogger? by Nobody: 9:42am On Mar 10, 2017
I've been using the blogger platform for more than 3years with no downside or any issh..
If you wanted to go for WordPress, go for paid hosting. Free hosting is a NO-NO for you if want to be serious about the site

(1) (Reply)

Buy And Verify(4days) Usa Adsense Here / Need Traffic! / Windows Phones Removed From Sales Stats As The World’s All About Iphone, Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.