Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

This Is The “change” We Voted For By Godwin Amadi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is The “change” We Voted For By Godwin Amadi (647 Views)

"Suswam Engaged In Gun Battle With Fulani Herdsmen" - Chima Amadi Reveals / Man Hails Buhari For Using Cheap Refreshments; "This Is The Change I Voted For" / Twitter Users Recount How They Voted For Buhari And Their Regrets Afterwards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is The “change” We Voted For By Godwin Amadi by gbollybakare: 4:00pm On Feb 03, 2017
Some people glamourize regret as if regret is a virtue or an endowment. All some posers need to do to remain relevant on social media is to say they regret voting Buhari. Others less imaginative ask, “Is this the change we voted for?” Whenever I hear these, I am reminded that loyalty is a high-price commodity.

What are you regretting? IF you really voted “Change”, what did you have in mind? Instead of reveling in your ignorance, should you not be ashamed that you lacked the basic understanding of what you espoused? At your age and with your level of education you still dance to every beat? Shame!

This is the “Change” I campaigned and voted for. From inception, I know real, lasting change comes at a high cost and discomfort. Have you ever attempted to change your life, weight, values or complexion? Did it come cheap or easy? Why do many people fail to live up to their New Year resolutions? Genuine change at any level is tough and cruel at first. Nigeria will not be an exception.

What happens when corporate organizations decide to change processes and procedures in the workplace? It is usually resisted because most people prefer the status quo. Corporate changes like mergers, acquisitions and reconstructions create imbalance and uncertainties in the concerned entities. I know a man whose workforce reduced by 75% when he restructured (or effected change in) his company. Today, the same man is shouting his voice hoarse that Buhari’s change is draconian and insensitive. Hypocrite!

How do we become self-sufficient in food production? The answer is simple: make heavy investments in agriculture and ban importation of foods that deplete our foreign reserve. Take rice for instance. As long as there are no restrictions on the importation of rice, local farmers will not grow rice and our exotic taste buds will not be retrained. If I were Buhari, I would put a total ban on the importation of rice.

Take cars, fabrics and wines (and spirits) for another instance. Something drastic needed to be done about our appetite for cars, clothes and wines. The cumulative costs of importing this trio into Nigeria consumed a substantial share of our foreign reserve. Buhari says NO. He argues that if you must use these imports, then be ready to pay a premium price for them. This is simple logic and economics. This is especially so since global oil price has dwindled and tempers are high in the Niger Delta.

Goods are more expensive in Nigeria today because Buhari insists that most of the products we import can and should be produced locally. By so doing, he has flung open unending investment and job opportunities for Nigerians especially. While reserving limited foreign exchange for some critical sectors of the economy, Buhari is urging them to make hay while the sun shines. Buhari is CHANGING the way we live, and the pains we now experience are his instruments of CHANGE. You can only take it, but you can’t reject it.

Why is Buhari putting these strategic restrictions on our consumption patterns? If you are PDP or a hater, these restrictions are to punish Nigerians. But to the dispassionate observer, Buhari’s stance is the most effective route to Nigeria’s escape from economic doldrums festered by inordinate importation of all and every product. Some countries in Asia, Africa and North America have provided infallible precedents to what Buhari has set out to do.

What has happened so far? Buhari is in a mad hurry to fix the refineries. About 6 states are now producing rice in commercial quantities. Cross River state has almost completed what is arguably the largest textile mill in Africa. Buhari is challenging Nigerians to introspect and unleash their creative geniuses. Unfortunately, politics is providing a distracting counter-intuition to these breath-taking developments.

Where will Nigeria be in 10 years if we continue (or forced to continue) to look inwards? Imagine what will happen if we continue to produce a larger chunk of what we eat, wear and drink. Imagine when Aba, Sokoto, Nnewi, Kano, Ondo, Osun, Benue and Nasarawa turn natural endowments into skills. Imagine when our universities and polytechnics wake up. Imagine when our industries and blue-chip companies begin to produce. Only a bold step like Buhari’s CHANGE will give form to these imaginations.

If you did not understand Buhari’s change, it is not Buhari’s fault. Regretting voting Buhari says so much about your character. Asking “Is this the change we voted for?” is the clearest indication that you must never be taken seriously again. You are a plastic supporter, and we will not need you in 2019.
Re: This Is The “change” We Voted For By Godwin Amadi by Baawaa(m): 4:17pm On Feb 03, 2017
A tree cannot make a forest, Buhari cannot do it alone, inasmuch all these rogues and thieves we called politicians don't give him full support CHANGE might become CHAIN.
Re: This Is The “change” We Voted For By Godwin Amadi by paschu: 5:32pm On Feb 03, 2017
Unforyunately there's a huge difference between your fancy imaginations and plain reality.

So, wake up.

The dream is over.

Protests are now the new reality.

No more dumb sermonizations.

2 Likes

Re: This Is The “change” We Voted For By Godwin Amadi by Alphaoscar: 5:36pm On Feb 03, 2017
This is not the change I canvassed for .
Re: This Is The “change” We Voted For By Godwin Amadi by 1Rebel: 6:15pm On Feb 03, 2017
No matter what happens, a zombie would always find a way to justify its zombie-ism. undecided

1 Like

Re: This Is The “change” We Voted For By Godwin Amadi by Zeddicuz(m): 6:39pm On Feb 03, 2017
A very dumb write up grom a brainwashed, retrogressed zombie. change in ur own definition is putti g d economy in comatose with counter productive policies,i guess u havent lost ur job in dis chain era dats y u still have time to type dis trash.ur buhari on life suprt has failed nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

If You Don’t Like Buhari, Wait For 2019 Election – Obasanjo Tells Nigerians / N26m Scam: Fani-kayode Seeks Out Of Court Settlement / Strict Warning For Nigerians In SA...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.