Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Private Universities In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Universities In Nigeria (24527 Views)

15 Good Universities In Nigeria You Can Study Geology/geophysic Without Regret. / Tuition Fees In Nigeria Private Universities / List Private Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by DrNo: 4:12pm On Sep 10, 2006
Hi people! grin I like need some serious help in finding a really good Nigerian University to go to. So like i would like your opinions on UNN( university of Nsukka) or ABU (Amadou Bello university). Your opinon on other Unis would seriously be appreciated tongue
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by Icejay(m): 11:30am On Dec 21, 2006
SEUN I totally agree with you on your position on this issue. I'm a beneficiary of a private University.I know what I went thru in 2 of the most renown Public Universities in this country before moving to a private institution; and I must confess if given a second chance I will choose to attend that same institution over and over again.Although it's expensive it's worth it. It's like that everywhere. We have to be realistic here. Do you know that all the Universities(including HARVARD,MIT,STANDFORD,NEW YORK U.,PENNSYLVANIA ,OXFORD,CAMBRIDGE,IMPERIAL COLLEGE,TOKYO U,UNIV OF BEIJING to mention but a few ) making waves around the globe are privately run? It's not like I'm condeming the public Universities but the truth is that private Universities are better managed and better equipped. I think the performance of these private universities so far is going to make the key players in our public universities sit up if at all they have the interest of this nation at heart. The level of decay is our public universities is deplorable and something has to be done & fast too. Most importantly there aren't enough Universities to meet the needs of millions of aspiring undergraduates in the country so,I think it's a welcome development but the NUC should exercise absolute care in granting licences to intending private university proprietors;and the already existing ones should be closely monitored.

About the private universities charging exorbitant fees,I think that's what is obtainable worldwide due to the cost of operation since the private univeristies have limited source of funding. In Nigeria especially the private universities do not recieve grants from the govt like in most countries in the world. The major source of University funding in the UK for instance is thru fees especially foreign students' fees. It's unfortunate that most people are unable to afford the fees but what I believe is that no matter what institution a person attends private or public you could still achieve your goals.It all depends on the individual. It's one thing to have a degree but I think the most important thing is self development/empowerment. Have a focus,believe in your abilities and above all trust in GOD.
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by omofineboy(m): 5:11pm On Dec 26, 2006
I went through your posts I have a different opinion, I am person who believe in social services by the government, how many of us are from rich homes? we talk as if we are all from rich homes, compare the ratio, ho many Nigerian fathers can afford 300,000 naira per child for a session? lets not look into our own cases lets be considerate and think about the larger percentage that is poor, poverty level is high in this country, our discussion on this topic tends to support total neglect of the poor masses, and experience have shown that most of the people from humble background are more intelligent and brilliant, if only government have been living to its expectations there may not be need to talk about this private uni, and I am not one of those who supports privatization, all I know is that it furthers widens the gap between the rich and the poor and it encourages thieves to steal more.
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:16pm On Dec 26, 2006
Nothing is free in life. People should be willing to pay if they are interested in quality education. If you come from a poor family, get part-time job to sponsor yourself through university. The absence of freebies provided by the government will teach you responsibility, so that when it's your turn to procreate you will not have 12 children. People have to learn to struggle and prosper with their own efforts instead of waiting on government or father Christmas. If we have more private universities, the price of university education will drop so sharply that market women will be able to afford it. Even if the price doesn't go down, the private universities will free up more space in public universities.

I am person who believes in social services by the government,
Let's learn to put aside whatever we "believe" in (government, father Christmas, whatever) and face reality.
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by LoverBwoy(m): 10:18am On Dec 27, 2006
Seun:

Nothing is free in life. People should be willing to pay if they are interested in quality education. If you come from a poor family, get part-time job to sponsor yourself through university. The absence of freebies provided by the government will teach you responsibility, so that when it's your turn to procreate you will not have 12 children. People have to learn to struggle and prosper with their own efforts instead of waiting on government or father Christmas. If we have more private universities, the price of university education will drop so sharply that market women will be able to afford it. Even if the price doesn't go down, the private universities will free up more space in public universities.
Let's learn to put aside whatever we "believe" in (government, father Christmas, whatever) and face reality.

and the government should be willing to pay if they want a better society
Isn't that the reason people pay tax whether it's very low or not?
it's not like the money belong to them it's the people money in the first place!

We have so many private secondary schools many people afford it but are they really all getting quality education?
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 1:07pm On Dec 27, 2006
Seun:

So seun, at the end of the day the government should have nothing to do for its citizens abi?? Road & bridge constructions in communities too should be privatized abi?? General and teaching hospitals should be privatized too abi??Then people should not be asked to pay tax or be taxed. What will the government be doing with the money collected from tax -payers??
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by Omolulu(m): 5:26pm On Jan 03, 2007
I agree with seun on the view that nothing is free in life.however examples from developed states like Britain and the US shows that privatized enterprises and ventures aid the the growth of nations.there are privatized railway lines in the US,Privatized hospitals etc.it doesn't stop the government from providing alternatives to private options.The objective of tax payment is to provide services for the common welfare of the society irrespective of one's status or position.When we talk about exorbitant school fees,such a situation is not only peculiar to Nigerian private universities but in private universities all over the world.they receive no funds from government and still have to build structures,pay staff,pay bills,TAX,etc.if these factors are duly considered,then we would see that there is every reason for these prices to be increased.By the way,no one is been forced to pay such exorbitant prices.if you can't pay,forget about it and continue writing jamb.
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by namglobal: 10:58pm On Jan 21, 2007
With regards to comments made on the private/public university issue, both are important to a system--as are technical and specialized institutions. My fear with the proliferation of private schools is that we are denying the need to perfect the public system. Given that the majority of Nigerian higher-ed students (less than 1% of the population) cannot afford a $3,000 fee, how can private schools truly assist the system? At best they will provide succor to those from upper middle-class and wealthy families who can afford the luxury. But it won't do much for the majority of people or the heart and spirit of our country.

At the same time, public universities need to be challenged to do more in preparing the students for the real world. In the past they have used lack of funding as an excuse for not performing. Recently, these institutions were challenged by the current administration to be more creative in their quest for funds. Perhaps this is a strategy that can help us get to where we need to be. But it is but one strategy. But because they are not part of the competitive system, whereby they shut down if they don't perform, the new policies are unlikely going to be enough impetus to stimulate substantial reaction.

Remember that we're 140 million people with 55% under age 15. At an average of 10,000 students per institution, we will need no less than 1000 institutions to educate 5-10% of our people as the population approaches 200 million. However, as some have rightly pointed out, quantity is useless in the education industry as quality has everything to do with the content that our nation comes to be made of.

My hope is that, while private universities are being built, we will put more resources into developing public ones--even if with private means.

For those who continue to point to the success of American private schools, even that country is admitting how much they have failed the public schooling system--and, as a result, the American people. As of the 1990's many public institutions are using private school tactics for growth and development.

For my part, I lead a team of people intent to transform 100 Nigerian universities into digital campuses. If you would like to join and assist our efforts and make this your movement, please check out http://www.udcnigeria.com/.

Regards,
Nam Mokwunye
Reuters Digital Vision Fellow
Stanford University
Stanford, CA, USA
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by leslie(m): 8:39am On Feb 07, 2007
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by leslie(m): 8:46am On Feb 07, 2007
THERES ALSO A NEW UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA OF WHICH I AM A STUDENT OF THE NAME IS ABTI- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA LOCATED IN ADAMAWA YOLA. ITS REALY A COOL PLACE TO BE THE ONLY THING IS THATS ITS A VERY EXPENSIVE SCHOOL TO BE IN BUT OTHERWISE ITS ONE OF THE BEST YOU CAN FIND AROUND. FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO THE WEB SITE www.aaun.edu.ng OR YOU COULD CALL ME ON WILL BE WILLING TO HELP YOU OUT.THANKS
grin
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 8:58am On Feb 07, 2007
The fees at Private Universities in Naija is outrageous. How many people can afford it? Some guy gave the reason for their exhorbitant school fees because the Federal Govt does not provide aid to them. But even in the USA, there are some Private Universities that rely solely on grants and donations from their alumni. Some even provide a free ride to their students. Harvard just started a trend, of waiving school fees for students whose families earn below 40k a year. I don't know what 'deals' that these private universities back home offer their students, neither am I going to make comparisons, because the USA education is more advanced than the Nigerian system.

Like Naija, even in the USA, there is a remarkable difference between the state/amenities on private universities and the public ones. However, amenities are a poor substitute to a rigorous learning and prestige of the University. University of California (Berkeley and Los Angeles) are leading public institutions in the USA, and I would actually pick them over Santa Clara University, or even Rice University, a private University in Houston. So, in conclusion, being private, does not necessarily mean that it is highly rated or offers superior academic programs, when juxtaposed with their public counterparts.
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by etauso(m): 1:37pm On Feb 24, 2007
I am in support of Covenant and CRUTECh, YEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by 9ja4eva: 6:37pm On Jun 23, 2007
Covenant too get bad rules n policies
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by fuzek: 7:06pm On Aug 19, 2007
9ja4eva:

Covenant too get bad rules n policies

9ja4eva!!!!!!!1iv watched u closely for sometime now,when it cums to CU, all ure there to talk about is its rules/policies/wateva!!!! y dont u c something good about the school cos although ur comments about d school doesnt count as people will alwais go there even being aware of the skul,

u v to undastand dat its private and d owner has every right to dictate 4it, as long as it doesnt make u an animal then its fine--------we c the products and trustme 9jeria will alwais be poud of them wink wink wink wink

its not easy keepin rules but wit time u get used to them and evenutally find out dat it 4ur own good and not otherwise and when u c the final product-------its gosh!!!4real.

relax abeg 4 d skul grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by 9ja4eva: 2:02am On Aug 22, 2007
I know d skul better dn u.

Guy put ur pics up make i see u.U sure say u no be Muyiwa or dem Rev squad people?

Why u carry CU wahala for head?
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by fuzek: 2:07am On Aug 22, 2007
are u referring to me
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by fuzek: 2:12am On Aug 22, 2007
9ja4eva:

Why u carry CU wahala for head?

howeva if its 4me------ i think we're both in same shoes (y r u also carryin it on your head?) tongue, its probably just your responses im addressing, because this thread is about Private Uni's and here we are pickin CU def something we have in common

Funny enuf i'm not a graduate/undergrad of d school and wat about u (m not even supposed to ask, cos 4sure ul rada not go to skul dan CU, from all ur comments)
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by 9ja4eva: 2:19am On Aug 22, 2007
E don do
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by fuzek: 2:22am On Aug 22, 2007
na real don do grin grin grin

cheers wink
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by 9ja4eva: 2:26am On Aug 22, 2007
No hassles for life.

Ao bodi? grin grin grin grin

Peace
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by tobaaro(m): 9:15am On Aug 26, 2007
@ 9ja4eva,
Thank u oo,  All ds CU boyz like 2 take their skul personal. ,
Anyway, Bishop dey give una nice orentation!!

@Topic
Priv8 universities are d best thing 2 happen 2 Naija educ8n and save us from redundancy and truancy caused by JAMBfrustration!!
If u hav d money, close 1 eye and pay your ward's way thru d skul,
If u don't hav d money, strive 2 sell all u've got and still pay!!!,  It's worth that much!!! grin grin
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by 9ja4eva: 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2007
Na d hype

Like say dem tech well well
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by tobaaro(m): 6:38am On Aug 27, 2007
Kudos 2 them, them try sef!!

Bt sorry2add: They r dull!! lipsrsealed
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by fuzek: 6:02pm On Aug 27, 2007
tobaaro:

Bt sorry2add: They r dull!! lipsrsealed

Really shocked U must be very bright, 4 u to v 4gotten dat a school only has intensions 4 u, ur success/brightness is ur decision *hisses*
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by tobaaro(m): 10:32pm On Aug 27, 2007
fuzek: ur point exactly?

Pls don't dull ds thread wit ds pathetic approach of urs,
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by 9ja4eva: 2:24am On Aug 28, 2007
I tire oh

D idea be say we all dey entitled to our own opinion
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by fuzek: 8:05pm On Aug 29, 2007
9ja4eva:

I tire oh
D idea be say we all dey entitled to our own opinion

Exactly u are entitled to u opinion, whoeva said u weren't

tobaaro:

fuzek: your point exactly?

Please don't dull ds thread wit ds pathetic approach of urs,

U call it dulling a thread, well i didn't know dats all u were after but i'l rather enlighten the thread and dats wat i did/i'm doing. Who are u to say people are dull just cos they're in private schools and when did going to any school make u more bright or less. I alwais thot goin to skul was to acquire knowledge. . .only if u'l correct my opinion.

No school makes a student more intelligent nor less intelligent. . .dat's my point exactly undecided
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by 9ja4eva: 8:21pm On Aug 29, 2007
In a situation where it is supposed that

64 students bag first class honors.

What do you have to say to that?
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by fuzek: 8:28pm On Aug 29, 2007
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

In such situation, yes i will congratulate the students, saying. . .thanks for making the school proud. The school deposited in them and they worked with the deposits.

D high school i graduated from, i could tell u alot of silly teachers we had, some neva even came to class. My dear, we conquered and came out with very (i mean very very)good results. Thanks to who Individuals who knew wat they wanted in life---dats d definition of wat u just described. wink grin
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by 9ja4eva: 1:42am On Aug 30, 2007
I would only reply ur posts when u speak the truth and nt be biased.

Good Day
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by fuzek: 3:59pm On Aug 30, 2007
Wat truth!!! Let's be real aight! wink grin

I've said all i have to say on this topic lipsrsealed tongue
Re: Private Universities In Nigeria by kingsley2k: 2:08pm On Jan 10, 2009
Rubbish universities.Go school finish u no fit use dem result find better work except office assistant for kitchen company.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unilag Dli Is Not A Part Time Programmes / They're Shooting Us! - Plateau Student Cries In Bokkos Bush / 5 Types Of Lecturers In Nigeria Tertiary Institutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.