Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Last Edition Of Forgotten History - Interesting Views From An American - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Last Edition Of Forgotten History - Interesting Views From An American (1107 Views)

Rivers Killings, Share Your Views From this Probing Question. / Deep Racism: The Forgotten History Of Human Zoos / Jonathan/buhari Candidacy: Views From Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Last Edition Of Forgotten History - Interesting Views From An American by Afam(m): 12:37pm On Jan 16, 2007
From my inbox, happy reading.

The part that deals with lies being used to justify a lot of wars is soooooo real.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last Article
By Denis Mueller

This will be my last article. It has been a pleasure writing and selecting articles for this column. Seven years ago I posted the first article. What we have tried to do is to illustrate that history is an evolving story that has a point of view. I am a documentary filmmaker who is the co-producer of the film, "Howard Zinn: You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train," which you can find anywhere on the net. This is why you saw so many articles by Dr. Zinn in this column.

One of the things I have tried to emphasize is that wars are accompanied by lies and deceit. This is a historical fact. We may argue that those lies are necessary but they are still lies. I believe that history illustrates that the people are ahead of the curve when it comes to change and that power never gives away power without a struggle, so it is important for us to always keep pressure on the politicians.

That being said what history tells us about our present dilemma is that we have not bothered to look at history when making our judgments concerning the present. For the past three articles we have seen how Iraq has always been a violent place, which somehow was overlooked by our leaders. I come out of the Vietnam generation and cannot understand the thinking of someone like Bush.

Some have speculated as to why a certain segment of the population, which I guess includes me, grows fangs when seeing Bush. I let you in on a little secret. It is because we, of the Vietnam generation, cannot believe one of our own gleefully walked into a situation that has more catastrophic possibilities than anything since the Cuban missile crises. They were so arrogant in dismissing criticism that all of us who knew this was a disaster from the beginning have watched this train wreck happen in utter disbelief.

Here are a couple of observations that I have made through the years and I propose we follow them in the future.

1. Never elect anyone for president from Texas again. We have had LBJ and Bush leading us in failed wars so that is enough.

2. We have learned from history never to trust politicians when it comes to war. They are most likely lying. Bush, LBJ, Polk and Wilson have all lied to the country about their true intentions.

3. The mainstream press will not bother explaining anything about the history of the country we are presently invading, so it is your responsibility to find out about their history for yourself.

So this is it. I am still around and kicking just keep an eye out for my films. Peace!

Attention Forgotten History Readers! Today is the final edition of Forgotten History, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy GopherCentral's other flagship publication dealing with historical and current world issues. That's why subscribers will receive our Viewpoint newsletter. If you don't want to receive Viewpoint then please unsubscribe to the final issue of Forgotten History.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
Your Editor

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

"no Lying Quiz" / Chief Olusegun Obasdanjo And Alhaji Umaru Yar'adua: Problem Has Changed Name / I Am Not Resigning! - Maurice Iwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.