Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). (43553 Views)

Throwback Photos Of Louis Van Gaal And Jose Mourinho At Barcelona In 1997 / Iran Women Attend First Football Match In 40 Years (Photos) / South Africa Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers - 1 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by naptu2: 7:58am On Feb 07, 2017
naptu2:
Africa 2-1 Europe (January 2nd, 1997).

(Abedi Pele and Mustapha Hadji scored for Africa and Vincent Guerin scored for Europe).

The match, which was UEFA and CAF's contribution to the European Year Against Racism, was held at Benfica's Stadium of Light in honour of Eusebio, the first African to be named European player of the year (He was from Mozambique, but he played for Portugal). Eusebio was the guest of honour and he took the ceremonial kickoff.

Two African legends that I loved to hate played important roles in this game. Algerian, Rabah Madjer scored a fantastic backheel goal to win the 1987 European Champions Cup for Porto. I hated him because of what happened at the 1990 Nations Cup.

Nigeria went to the Algeria 1990 Nations Cup with a team of Africa based players. Our Europe based professionals couldn't make it because their clubs refused to release them. The first match of the tournament was between Nigeria and Algeria. Rabah Madjer scored two goals for Algeria and Emmanuel Okocha (Jay Jay's elder brother) scored for Nigeria as Algeria beat us 5-1. Algeria also beat us in the final 1-0. Rabah Madjer was the coach of this African side.

Abedi "Pele" Ayew is a Ghanaian legend. A fantastic Nigerian side played against Ghana in the semi-final of Senegal '92. Abedi Pele admitted on the BBC (years later) that they knew that Nigeria was better than them (he then went on to list all the stars in the Super Eagles at that time), so they decided to defend, frustrate the Nigerians and hit them with counter attacks. It worked. Abedi Pele and Prince Opoku Polley scored for Ghana and Mutiu Adepoju as Ghana beat Nigeria 2-1.

The shock and heartbreak from that match was unbelievable. I left home before the final whistle to take a walk and clear my head and I witnessed one of the bloodiest fights I've ever seen. A guy beat up and stabbed a much bigger guy because of an argument over the match. He almost killed him.(Abedi Pele was the player of the tournament, while Yekini was the highest goal scorer. Abedi also won the 1993 European Champions League with Olympique Marseille). Watch out for Abedi's wonder goal in the video below

German super wingback Mathias Sammer captained Europe, while Abedi Pele captained Africa.

Abedi Pele, Mawade Wade and Rabah Madjer hold the Meridian Cup trophy.

There were lots of Nigerians and South Africans in this team (Nigeria won Tunisia '94 and Atlanta '96, while South Africa won SA '96) and lots of Germans, AC Milan and Ajax players in the European team (Germany won Euro '96, Ajax won the '95 champions league and came second in '96, while AC Milan was still the biggest club in the world at that time). There were no English players due to the Premier League Christmas programme.

Africa

GK 20 Andre Arendse (South Africa)

DF 2 Frank Amankwah (Ghana)
DF 16 Taribo West (Nigeria)
DF 5 Mark Fish (South Africa)

MF 7 Sunday Oliseh (Nigeria)
MF 12 Radwan Yasser (Egypt)
MF 14 Moussa Saïb (Algeria)
MF 10 Abedi Pele (c) (Ghana)

FW 3 Tijani Babangida (Nigeria)
FW 8 Ahmed Ouattara (Ivory Coast)
FW 9 Paulão (Angola)

substitutes

GK 1 Abiodun Baruwa (Nigeria)
MF 6 Mustapha Hadji (Morocco)
FW 4 Chiquinho Conde (Mozambique)
FW 11 Quinzinho (Angola)
FW 15 Souleyman Sané (Senegal)

Coaches:
Rabah Madjer (Algeria)
Mawade Wade (Senegal)

Europe

GK 20 Edwin van der Sar (Netherlands)

2 Zvonimir Boban (Croatia)
4 Frank de Boer (Netherlands)
5 Ronald de Boer (Netherlands)
7 Vincent Guérin (France)
9 João Pinto (Portugal)

10 Jürgen Klinsmann (Germany)
11 Jürgen Kohler (Germany)
14 Paulinho Santos (Portugal)

15 Rui Costa (Portugal)

16 Matthias Sammer (c) (Germany)

Substitutes

GK 1 Stanislav Cherchesov (Russia)
DF 6 Stéphane Henchoz (Switzerland)
MF 12 Andreas Möller (Germany)
MF 13 Pavel Nedvěd (Czech Republic)
FW 3 Pierluigi Casiraghi (Italy)
FW 6 Domingos Paciência (Portugal)

Coaches :
Berti Vogts (Germany)
Rinus Michels (Netherlands)

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuyJ52OGCu8

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1o1tbuHGdg

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by robosky02(m): 8:14am On Feb 07, 2017
nice hope to see more on current days

1 Like

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Gotaya: 11:49am On Feb 07, 2017
Good one, wish such can be played again in this time of ours and it was nice to know that even then the NPFL was represented in the person of "GK 1 Abiodun Baruwa (Nigeria)", who was playing that time for 3SC of Ibadan, making the Africa list, and kept the whole 2nd half with wonderful safes.

The NPFL would be great again!
Check my Signature to buy your NPFL Clubs' Jerseys.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by naptu2: 1:37pm On Feb 07, 2017
Gotaya:
Good one, wish such can be played again in this time of ours and it was nice to know that even then the NPFL was represented in the person of "GK 1 Abiodun Baruwa (Nigeria)", who was playing that time for 3SC of Ibadan, making the Africa list, and kept the whole 2nd half with wonderful safes.

The NPFL would be great again!

He kept for Shooting Stars in the 1996 African Champions Cup. They lost to Zamalek in the final.

4 Likes

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by gabazin080(m): 6:15pm On Feb 07, 2017
nice game, i was there live in benfica that night.

some will quote and say its a lie

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by gabazin080(m): 6:15pm On Feb 07, 2017
MxtaMichealz:
Lol....

MIYONSE AND SOMA EVICTED FROM BBNAIJA ARRIVES NIGERIA >>

www.thearticle.com.ng/2017/02/bbnaija-soma-and-miyonse-arrives.html
wetin concern us with BBNAIJA na. la click la bend

13 Likes

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by hushshinani(m): 6:18pm On Feb 07, 2017
k
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by holysainbj(m): 6:18pm On Feb 07, 2017
issokay...
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by hushshinani(m): 6:18pm On Feb 07, 2017
i remember that time.... when we scored...
we celebrated thoughh out the street drumming...
not now that everyyhing is flop
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by permsec: 6:19pm On Feb 07, 2017
Funny how time flies!
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by MostHated: 6:21pm On Feb 07, 2017
Imagine say we repeat that feature now... We go chop goals till we say we no dey do again grin

2 Likes

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:22pm On Feb 07, 2017
Hmmm... Took place in 1997 and M. Hadji scored... smiley

And Mustapha Hadji went on to be African footballer of the year in 1998 afterwards flooring Jay Jay Okocha.

I was a toddler when the '97 game took place... Just barely 5...

1 Like

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Nobody: 6:22pm On Feb 07, 2017
I remember this game very well. Was 14, in JSS 3

2 Likes

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by SWG25: 6:22pm On Feb 07, 2017
Who loves Rui Costa here? I love that dude. Him and mustapha hadji were great midfielders, especially in Winning Eleven 4.

Who played Winning eleven 4 here? grin

World Soccer! Jikyo! Winning Eleven, Four!

Rui Costa, shot 88, one of the best free kick takers in the game.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by AlexCk: 6:24pm On Feb 07, 2017
Choi,

Mustapha Hadji!!
I think na Moroccan him be,

That time Morocco dey play ball o, infact, anytime naija met a North Africa country in afcon, the match dey always tough,

But na Cameroon i fear pass, shooo, Cameroon was naija's kryptonite that time o.

The good old days shaa smiley

4 Likes

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by livinus009(m): 6:24pm On Feb 07, 2017
Vintage
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by kjhova(m): 6:24pm On Feb 07, 2017
naptu2:

He kept for Shooting Stars in the 1996 African Champions Cup. They lost to Zamalek in the final.

That Shooting Stars side was an awfully good side at the time. I saw the 1st leg of that final at a pub in Ota, Ogun State and the pub was filled to the brim! The atmosphere was no less than an AFCON final or UEFA champs league setting!!

Can't rem most of the lads in that side by name now but Duke Udi, Abiodun Baruwa, Gbenga Okunnowo et al shone like million stars. shame they lost the cup.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by IVORY2009(m): 6:24pm On Feb 07, 2017
naptu2:

Omo' Alhaja

2 Likes

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Iphone5: 6:25pm On Feb 07, 2017
Which kain rubbish be this undecided
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by rawpadgin(m): 6:27pm On Feb 07, 2017
n
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by jnrbayano(m): 6:31pm On Feb 07, 2017
Zvonimir Boban.

One of the guys I adored so much

Matthias Sammer was a CentreHalf not a WingBack

2 Likes

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Silva79(f): 6:32pm On Feb 07, 2017
Iphone5:
ur brain is paining u

5 Likes

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by jnrbayano(m): 6:32pm On Feb 07, 2017
Iphone5:

Show me the rubbish and will show you an 18year old boy...

6 Likes

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by sod09(m): 6:35pm On Feb 07, 2017
op pls y was neved included??
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by petkoffdrake2(m): 6:36pm On Feb 07, 2017
Dem Neva born me DAT time...
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by sod09(m): 6:36pm On Feb 07, 2017
op pls y was neved included??
he never played for ac milan
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by lexyman(m): 6:36pm On Feb 07, 2017
Nigeria has the highest number of players in team africa ....Abedi Pele used to be a mercurial no 10 . he understand the role and he can cos havoc , i think Ghana is blessed with midfielders , looking forward to another one in the coming future .....199 just like yesterday

1 Like

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by SalomonKane: 6:37pm On Feb 07, 2017
That was when African football was top notch. Now I can just imagine if Africa play Europe, the outcome would be devastating.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Brazil Vs Nigeria Friendly: Super Eagles On Their Way To Singapore (Photos) / Top 25 Most Valuable Football Players 2022 / Kelechi Nwakali Donates N86M To ASJ Of Eziobodo, First Academy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.