Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,660 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980363 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:50pm On Dec 01, 2017
TEECANN:
Good day e-family

@Blackbuddy

How's work and family? I trust you are doing great.

Kindly oblige me a bit of your time to respond to my PM sent to you via:

kayjyde2016[at]gmail[dot]com

It will be a nice opportunity to connect with you and pick your knowledge on diverse matters as I happen to do what you ve done previously (AML/Compliance).

Everytime I read your post, I'm fired to give more, share more...you re indeed a natural mentor...I want to start my own mentoring now with you b4 crossing over. grin grin

God bless you and family.

Hi, I got the notification from NL that you sent me a PM but there's no NL mail in my inbox! This has been the same for PMs from several other people and I've been wondering how to address it. I guess I will just connect with you using your email address above. Would love to 'rub minds' with you, it would be my pleasure.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:52pm On Dec 01, 2017
daremum:
Bros,

@Blackbuddy Don make me over read, seems now sef that my wife and @Blackbuddy sabi each other,everytime she kept telling me to Reach

out to blackbuddy, that he is stuffy!

Indeed you are sir!!!

We registered for planning for Canada!!!
Coming up January 9th In Ibadan.

Bros my mail is also below;

daremum@gmail.com

Would like to rub minds with you!!!(as we dey talk from hia)

Your contributions are appreciated from my family!!! grin

Thank you!

Happy for you, will send you an email soon smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dammysanmi(m): 3:01pm On Dec 01, 2017
Hello @czaratwork
Ive rechecked my mail (spam and all) and cant seem to find the mail. If you can reach him please ask him to resend (mine and wifey's) as he has not responded to my mails.
Thanks- Damilola

czaratwork:
If you applied for letter from FRSC through Adeballer, he says it is ready. Please check your mailbox for it.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 3:03pm On Dec 01, 2017
damiolly:
what if I become a citizen, and how many years will it take to become a citizen?

The most important factor is that you are a PR who has spent 3 years in Canada going by the reduction in wait period this year from the former period 4 out of 6 years. Another important factor is that you have been filing your taxes here during this period. Please see full citizenship requirements here, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html

Once you are a citizen, you may apply to join the Armed Forces.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:21pm On Dec 01, 2017
DatechMan:

Mr/Mrs honey86
I don't know which one of my words came out as being insulting. In fairness to the lexis/grammar of English, and my innocuous intentions, you have only succeeded in being condescending.

You really didnt know you were insultive?. Do you think 'no brainer' and confused is the right word to use?. I wish you the best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 8:17pm On Dec 01, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Happy for you, will send you an email soon smiley

Hello NL family,

@blackbuddy, please can you share the information in work from home opportunities you mentioned earlier? Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 8:30pm On Dec 01, 2017
Feygbe:

Hello NL family,

@blackbuddy, please can you share the information in work from home opportunities you mentioned earlier? Thank you.

There are some stay at/work from home job opportunities through Sykes Recruiting for roles that have to do with customer care/online support. Register and find out more here, https://alpineaccessjobs.ca/recruiting/reg/login/

14 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Elle78: 8:34am On Dec 02, 2017
Good morning @jyteman I would really appreciate if you could send me the cv sample as well. The email address is smilyn_b@yahoo.com

Thank you very much

jyteman:

Actually subscribed to zip recruiter and indeed news letter and also narrow my search on linkedin to canada thats all.

Sample template resume sent .

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 02, 2017
Bsbabe:
Good morning all. Please if WES evaluated a certification as equivalent of[b] ‘College Level Certificate’[/b], can it be combined with a BSc as ‘two or more degrees’?

Will appreciate a response, thank you.

Apologies...wrong thread
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cathymia: 9:19am On Dec 02, 2017
Hello everyone,�

I would please like to find out from those who have landed...

Is the CAD $10,000 to be declared at point of entry for the family landing? Or per individual?

If you carry over CAD $10,000 and declare is that allowed?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 11:20am On Dec 02, 2017
cathymia:
Hello everyone,�

I would please like to find out from those who have landed...

Is the CAD $10,000 to be declared at point of entry for the family landing? Or per individual?

If you carry over CAD $10,000 and declare is that allowed?

From my experience and every other person i have discussed their own landing experience with...

You are required to declare only physical cash and valuables on you. Its stated on the declaration form thats given on the plane. If you declare 10000 cad and above, you may be required to show them. They do not check POF.

Cc: revlane

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mire222: 11:23am On Dec 02, 2017
Hello,

Please I need to know from those that have settled especially in Ontario( I'm looking at Mississauga ),honestly the options advertised for rent online seem very limited to me. Not much to choose from on a budget of 1500 for two bedrooms.

My questions are
1) is it possible that there are many more homes available for rent but they don't just have online presence?Maybe we would see nicer places/neighbourhoods/townhouses when we land .

2) Is 1500 too little for a decent apartment in a good neighbourhood in Mississauga?

3) would we use a real estate agent and are they paid agency fees

4) how much were you requested to pay in advance. First and last month? 6 months? Bank checks?

Please note that we are trying to avoid homes where we would share eg basements and apartments that have thin floors except if were on ground floor. We have very energetic kids and we wouldn't want to be a nuisance as per noise.

Thank you

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoboy1: 11:39am On Dec 02, 2017
Mire222:
Hello,

Please I need to know from those that have settled especially in Ontario( I'm looking at Mississauga ),honestly the options advertised for rent online seem very limited to me. Not much to choose from on a budget of 1500 for two bedrooms.

My questions are
1) is it possible that there are many more homes available for rent but they don't just have online presence?Maybe we would see nicer places/neighbourhoods/townhouses when we land .

2) Is 1500 too little for a decent apartment in a good neighbourhood in Mississauga?

3) would we use a real estate agent and are they paid agency fees

Please note that we are trying to avoid homes where we would share eg basements and apartments that have thin floors except if were on ground floor. We have very energetic kids and we wouldn't want to be a nuisance as per noise.

Thank you
These are my fears exactly. We are landing in a few weeks in Mississauga and all I can see are 2-bedrooms basements for 1000-1300. I also have energetic kids and I can’t even think. When I check places like Alberta and I see houses for the same price it’s hard to make a case for Ontario except you are fixed on working in the financial sector. Elders in the house please help a harried Mom on how to navigate this pressing matter!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mire222: 12:13pm On Dec 02, 2017
Ayoboy1:

These are my fears exactly. We are landing in a few weeks in Mississauga and all I can see are 2-bedrooms basements for 1000-1300. I also have energetic kids and I can’t even think. When I check places like Alberta and I see houses for the same price it’s hard to make a case for Ontario except you are fixed on working in the financial sector. Elders in the house please help a harried Mom on how to navigate this pressing matter!

Check rentfaster.ca and sushihomes. The rentfast and other few websites, you can uncheck the box for basements. My challenge is that when you do that, the listings become even shorter. Yet when I look at places like Calgary, I see soooo many nice places .But I'm pnp so I don't have an option of another province

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 12:43pm On Dec 02, 2017
Same situation here. Wish o could teleport some Calgary homes to Mississauga.
I also noticed that there are many more Options in Brampton compared to Mississauga
Check www.zolo.ca
I want to know how to get subsidy for daycare, two of my three kids are under 5
Cc @blackbuddy, @maternal

Ayoboy1:

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoboy1: 1:07pm On Dec 02, 2017
Mire222:

Check rentfaster.ca and sushihomes. The rentfast and other few websites, you can uncheck the box for basements. My challenge is that when you do that, the listings become even shorter. Yet when I look at places like Calgary, I see soooo many nice places .But I'm pnp so I don't have an option of another province

I do check kijiji and rentfaster everyday. Once you remove basement you are left with high rise buildings. Very Very High Rise! It’s just hard to think of going into a basement in this cold weather urghhhh
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoboy1: 1:09pm On Dec 02, 2017
yokus:
Same situation here. Wish o could teleport some Calgary homes to Mississauga.
I also noticed that there are many more Options in Brampton compared to Mississauga
Check www.zolo.ca
I want to know how to get subsidy for daycare, two of my three kids are under 5
Cc @blackbuddy, @maternal

I have heard reservations about Brampton and yes they do have more options! I want to stay closer to the city tho! I also have 2 kids under 4. I have returned your mail I think! When are u landing?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jyteman: 3:23pm On Dec 02, 2017
[quote author=Elle78 post=62904941]Good morning @jyteman I would really appreciate if you could send me the cv sample as well. The email address is smilyn_b@yahoo.com

Thank you very much

Sent
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tombrook0: 4:35pm On Dec 02, 2017
Please guys between this two state, which is preferable to live.
How is the tax system there.

Newmarket, Ontario

Hazelton, British Columbia

I will appreciate ur kind response.
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:11pm On Dec 02, 2017
Tombrook0:
Good morning sir
Pls between British Columbia and Ontario which is affordable to live and work.

Also which of the state above is easy to get Green card

Generally speaking, BC and Ontario are the more pricier provinces to live in but there is a trade off that they also host more work opportunities. BC has great weather while Ontario is home to the headquarters of many Canadian employers especially in the GTA.

There is no green card system in Canada. You should study the requirements for Canadian Express Entry program instead.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by donrabii: 5:36pm On Dec 02, 2017
I also noticed most of the apartments are unfurnished unlike what is obtainable in the UK

Ayoboy1:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Happylassy: 1:15am On Dec 03, 2017
Hi,

You could find a 2 bed for 1500 but they are mostly high rise. Have you checked Kiijiji? Padmapper? We got our apartment on Kijiji. The reason we opted for that platform was because we wanted to rent directly from a landlord as opposed to an agent or a letting company (eg DMS). To rent an apartment, most people request you present an employment letter and credit check. We are new immigrants we had neither! So we had to rent on the basis of our potential. We met with our landlord, explained we are migrants (he is as well) and we dont have any paper work. We offered to pay some rent in advance and revisit the lease agreement on month 6. The lease agreements are usually 12 months from what we have experienced.
Some landlords didnt accept our offer, one eventually did. The morale: Keep Looking till you find someone who will let to you. I have written some answers to your questions below.

Mire222:
Hello,

My questions are
1) is it possible that there are many more homes available for rent but they don't just have online presence?Maybe we would see nicer places/neighbourhoods/townhouses when we land . You can drive around and look for sign boards outside the apartments, Another website you might want to check is viewit.ca. The neighbourhoods are all nice, it depends on what you are particular about. Do you want to have everything nearby? The Mississauga. Do you want suburban life: Burlington and Oakville. Do you want Nigerian shops? Brampton. Do you want great schools http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/elementary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx.
It is all down to choice

2) Is 1500 too little for a decent apartment in a good neighbourhood in Mississauga? Its average.

3) would we use a real estate agent and are they paid agency fees They are not paid fees. The landlord pays them. They work for the landlord not you. Unlike the UK and Nigeria

4) how much were you requested to pay in advance. First and last month? 6 months? Bank checks? By law the ladlord can only ask for 2 months. Because you might not have the documentations they require, offer them more. YOU have to OFFER. They wont ask.

Please note that we are trying to avoid homes where we would share eg basements and apartments that have thin floors except if were on ground floor. We have very energetic kids and we wouldn't want to be a nuisance as per noise. Look for condo apartments or townhouses. You are right, basements are coldish.

Thank you

2 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vieve111: 2:30am On Dec 03, 2017
If anyone needs rent in Calgary.
I am looking for a Clean, Quiet Professional Roomate to share my lovely Furnitured 2 bedroom apartment with me located in SW calgary in the heart of downtown.
2 minutes walk to Ctrain Station.
$750 monthly.
Term of Rent: 6 months to 1 year.
Fully Furnished Apartment
All Utilities are included plus wifi.
Other Amenities in the building are a well equipped gym+ indoor pool+games room.
Security/Damage Deposit (half of $750)
please contact me on yvv1234567@gmail.com or 4039073040
Proof of employment and/or finance, proof of status in Canada and two references. At least one reference must come from your financial sponsor (if you are being sponsored) or both reference from Calgary. Your Calgary references must be willing to meet in person.

OTHER CONVENIENCES
A friendly, on-site, professional management, security, and maintenance.
Secured fob access, touch-screen intercom, elevators.
In-suite or on-site storage.
Reserved, covered monthly parking.
Include utilities, (electricity, heat, water, and high speed Internet) and appliances, (fridge, stove, dishwasher, range hood, microwave).

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mire222: 7:24am On Dec 03, 2017
[quote author=Happylassy post=62929526]Hi,

Thank you so much!!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 8:49am On Dec 03, 2017
@Blackbuddy

How is work and life bro?

I received an email supposedly from you.

uk***vie@yahoo.com (Kindly confirm this is your email starting and ending with those alphabets)

I guess we have learnt one or two things about verifications from VOs in this process grin grin

Awaiting your kind response.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nanaghano: 11:05am On Dec 03, 2017
Please did your move to canada still come through with the two years working visa, someone is offering me same for the same price.. I just wanted to find out from you first .

Good day Mr Salford.
I have worked as, (1) Electrical engineer(assembling, construction of low voltage electrical distribution panels and switchgears, 5 years , (2) Field service engineer(installation and maintenance of banknote processing machines, 2 years (3) Electrical /automation technician in a brewery 2 years

Is a temporary work visa with 2 years work permit.("working Holiday Visa) Is been handled by an immigration woman and I have deposited 200k and she said I would pay balance of 1m when the visa is out and verified. (non-appearance)

I plan to start processing PR in Canada if everything work out fine.

Pls kindly help me to x-ray all these points. For me to know what and what to do. 1)what you think about the visa 2)do I need credential evaluation 3)what should be my budget. 4) can I work with my Nigeria certificate,) HND) 5)any one to help me as in brief accommodation for a short time(not minding paying a little for it).

Pls I stated all these points for you to understand my case.
Pls I sent you a pm. [/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 03, 2017
vieve111:
If anyone needs rent in Calgary.
I am looking for a Clean, Quiet Professional Roomate to share my lovely Furnitured 2 bedroom apartment with me located in SW calgary in the heart of downtown.
2 minutes walk to 8 str Ctrain Station.
$650
Fully Furnished Apartment
All Utilities are included plus wifi.
Other Amenities in the building are a well equipped gym+ indoor pool+games room.
Security/Damage Deposit (1 month Rent)
please contact me on yvv1234567@gmail.com or 4039073040

Is the $650 per annual or monthly??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hafsat24(f): 11:51am On Dec 03, 2017
Chukason1:

Is the $650 per annual or monthly??

Lol..per annual bawo..its monthly obviously..
@vieve111..lovely apartment by the way

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.