Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,626 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (241) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1988522 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:39pm On Mar 06, 2018
Beeea:
Just a piece of information I thought to share: Most stores will at this time be disposing their winter stock at great discounts and you will get good bargains. For parents, you can anticipate what sizes your children will wear next winter and buy those winter materials now. Winter boots and jackets don't have to be an exact fit- can be 1 or 2 sizes bigger.
For adults, you will get long johns and thermals at great discounts.

For adult jackets, I will recommend Mark's Work Wear House. They have good stuff at decent prices. My winter jacket that I bought at less than $100 is five years old and still going strong.

Nice! Thanks.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 1:33pm On Mar 06, 2018
@czaratwork

I guess you are an accountant or in a profession close to that as you post several accounting related contents, I hope to be in Canada before the year end, by the grace of God.
what are the opportunities in Manitoba and Saskatchewan for accountants, had all my career in banks in Nigeria, Funds transfer, Internal control/Compliance officer and IT control Officer.I would love to move back into Accounting/Finance fully.
I would appreciate to have a detailed C.V for an accountant to use as a guide to prepare mine(seen a few science based CV's that are a bit difficult to edit)

ayoboy06@yahoo.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tollu: 2:19pm On Mar 06, 2018
Beeea:
Just a piece of information I thought to share:

Nice one, thanks for this!

Congratulations, MummyJaygirls!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by caon: 2:27pm On Mar 06, 2018
hi have u got update yet. from Accra?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 2:29pm On Mar 06, 2018
no worries dear. i have also seen them try to stop someone who made a suggestion on sending his passport from middle east for stamping and was not happy and i decided once and for all to tell them that this is a free thread where you respond to issues relevant to you and ignore the ones you dont like. i personally decided to do that yesterday and wont go back to doing it. worse case i mind other things. (leave the thread) its just apalling that we cant tolerate ourselves. Take care
tollu:
Honestly czaratwork, you need to CHILL out. Seriously.
The vibes you give off are concerning and me o, I care.
All the best.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:30pm On Mar 06, 2018
daremum:
Hello to everyone.

Had to read over 5 Pages

Una welldone.

@XX01, Welcome, Na my guider be that.

@Blackbuddy...Thanks to you but you didnt reply my last mail.

Thank you

Hi, I read your last mail but there was nothing for me to reply smiley Your update then was that you were waiting for feedback from the settlement assistance agency and I'm yet to hear how that went from you. I hope things are moving smoothly.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 3:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
I dont know much about settling in Manitoba because i have never really asked about the province. Any reason you want to be in Manitoba? Because your skill that i see very lucrative in Ontario is IT CONTROL. I know banks are interested in that kind of role(IT AUDIT and IT CONTROL) and most banks are headquartered in Toronto. Also most banking roles are found in Ontario. You have some (mainly branch roles) in other provinces too.

If you want to pursue the accounting profession, you can easily do that in any province. even though i would still say there are more accounting roles in Ontario.(my opinion)

If it is accounting roles you need you can start sending out your resumes to recruitment agencies like Robert half, international financial group, kelly services, etc. then you can also google indeed, glassdoor, eluta, workopolis, hays, AltisHR, the few i remember now but remember to tailor your resume to the job description on each advertised role so that your resume can pass the scanning stage.(This is not to claim a role you cant defend when shortlisted)

Also accountant roles come with skills in some accounting packages like JDedwards, quickbooks, sage, advanced excel (vlookup, pivot table, macros) and even SAP.(FICO). I would suggest you train on these skills back home because when you convert the cost to get trained here to our naira, you would have preferred to have done it back home. You can also google for some of these training online, some are free online even on youtube.

Then which certification do you have? if it is ACCA, you can start the process of conversion immediately. I dont know the process for ACA, you may have to ask others.

I will send an accountant's resume to you as requested. You can also google it online so that you have so many to work with. Best of luck in your job hunt.

I know others here too especially those in Manitoba can also guide you with their contributions.
hayor2014:
@czaratwork

I guess you are an accountant or in a profession close to that as you post several accounting related contents, I hope to be in Canada before the year end, by the grace of God.
what are the opportunities in Manitoba and Saskatchewan for accountants, had all my career in banks in Nigeria, Funds transfer, Internal control/Compliance officer and IT control Officer.I would love to move back into Accounting/Finance fully.
I would appreciate to have a detailed C.V for an accountant to use as a guide to prepare mine(seen a few science based CV's that are a bit difficult to edit)

ayoboy06@yahoo.com

19 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 4:32pm On Mar 06, 2018
czaratwork:
I dont know much about settling in Manitoba because i have never really asked about the province. Any reason you want to be in Manitoba? Because your skill that i see very lucrative in Ontario is IT CONTROL. I know banks are interested in that kind of role(IT AUDIT and IT CONTROL) and most banks are headquartered in Toronto. Also most banking roles are found in Ontario. You have some (mainly branch roles) in other provinces too.

I have honestly heard how lucrative and in high demand the IT Control role is , i was moved into the unit from branch control recently due to me passing the CISA exam. IT control unit, where i work is a relatively new unit and i have just worked in a sub unit for about a year.i am afraid of messing up when i get called for interview.
I can confidently defend an accounting role( i have ICAN ACA).

I would have loved to quickly write ACCA, but this venture is not so cheap for some of us and practically all funds have been tied towards this journey(POF in investments).

i would honestly appreciate the CV as promised...thanks a lot.... ayoboy06@yahoo.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lacreamAB: 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2018
Hello great people........ please is there anyone on this thread who is into importation from Nigeria OR who knows anyone who is PLEASE HELP, I need some information. All I've seen so far is about getting jobs, resumes, interviews and stuff. Some of us wanna explore the business world. grin

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DaddyTheFather: 8:10pm On Mar 06, 2018
Read through all the pages on this thread, and it's quite disheartening seeing all the personal attacks on these later pages. Please, let us encourage each other. The back and forth and singling out one person just cos you don't agree with their opinions does not help anyone. I believe oyinbo people call that bullying. We all have free speech, but it's safe to say we are all adults, so we should be able to express ourselves and disagree without resorting to name calling. If you disagree with something someone says, and they don't agree with your rebuttal, let it go. In the end of it all, no matter how much info is on here or how many prayers we pray for each other or how much abuse we hurl, this journey is a very personal journey. No one will share their success with others, and no one will offer to share someone else's struggles either. Please, if you cannot encourage, don't pull down. The point of this thread afterall was to give people info to help with the migration process. Please, let us not turn this into catfight central. We are all adults.

24 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 8:28pm On Mar 06, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 9:11pm On Mar 06, 2018
Beeea:
Just a piece of information I thought to share: Most stores will at this time be disposing their winter stock at great discounts and you will get good bargains. For parents, you can anticipate what sizes your children will wear next winter and buy those winter materials now. Winter boots and jackets don't have to be an exact fit- can be 1 or 2 sizes bigger.
For adults, you will get long johns and thermals at great discounts.

For adult jackets, I will recommend Mark's Work Wear House. They have good stuff at decent prices. My winter jacket that I bought at less than $100 is five years old and still going strong.

Nice one.....thanks!! Just realised what the Mark's store 2 mins away from my place sells.... cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by JESUSisable: 10:41pm On Mar 06, 2018
Hi,

Pls I will like to pm you for this information also.
Thanks

Mire222:
"Kindly pm me and I will share what has worked for us."

Let me rephrase that statement for the sake of others.

We didn't do anything extra as per job search. Basically ,we did what @fusion23 recommended. I think what made the most difference was matching keys words relevant with his job role. And he did that after we went through seminars on access employment website, the whole Job Scan system thing and applying to every job in his field available to mankind. Lol.

We also downloaded the freetone app which has been very useful.

Another point I would like to add is that if you earn big in Nigeria, please don't set your expectations too high.
it's okay to give yourself a standard or target but also be realistic and give room for growth. Of course there are people who get great jobs immediately and we'll all get there maybe not just the same time. Just keep aiming and never give up.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by JESUSisable: 10:44pm On Mar 06, 2018
Hi,
Pls how did you link your Access card to your google account?

[quote author=behati post=64710540][/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 11:05pm On Mar 06, 2018
maziude:

Within the space of 14 hours, 3 marriage cases. Make una no go let them block people way. Na small thing dey make this people vex oh...

Why she no marry before she comot naija, then update? Nobody go trouble am so far she declare am.

Just 2 months she wan go back marry the marry wey she for don do before she comot naija. Na still the same process.

Make she go marry, if dem ask am why she tell them wetin you just tell us.

My thoughts? Boss, na wetin you think naim me and VO/Border officer go think sha.

Abi na!!!
Nigerians don start ooo!!!

I never collect PR ooo, Abeg, make we no start our shaku shaku ways make oyinbo vex cancel this express entry thing o!!

Naija people and our ways...hiaa! lipsrsealed

It will end in praise ooo IJN

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 12:43am On Mar 07, 2018
Have to agree with tollu @czaratwork. Was one of those guys rooting for you but right now...its like something else is going on other than you'r letting on. Please let this go already so we can move on with the thread. truthfully, i'm a lil concerned too. In your bid to get people to share their experiences, you'r coming on a lil too strong and scaring some of us off. Easy...

tollu:
Honestly czaratwork, you need to CHILL out. Seriously.
The vibes you give off are concerning and me o, I care.
All the best.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 2:30am On Mar 07, 2018
Thanks @blackbuddy, called the contact number for the Nigerian consulate at Ottawa. They basically reiterated your findings.....to present myself on a day of my choosing between 9am - 1pm on Tuesday - Friday and that I would get the new passport the same day.
@maziude, thanks so much for offering to help, I truly appreciate.
@Nogen, looping you in here for info purposes regarding your renewal as well.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by daremum(m): 6:14am On Mar 07, 2018
Moved on with settlement.

Will send you am mail shortly.

Thank you

Blackbuddy:

Hi, I read your last mail but there was nothing for me to reply smiley Your update then was that you were waiting for feedback from the settlement assistance agency and I'm yet to hear how that went from you. I hope things are moving smoothly.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ysteph: 6:54am On Mar 07, 2018
They won't cancel it, they'll just suspend Nigeria as a country from participating.
That is even more painful.

TEECANN:

Abi na!!!
Nigerians don start ooo!!!

I never collect PR ooo, Abeg, make we no start our shaku shaku ways make oyinbo vex cancel this express entry thing o!!

Naija people and our ways...hiaa! lipsrsealed

It will end in praise ooo IJN

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Talkingboy: 8:27am On Mar 07, 2018
Good morning elders ,

Please those familiar with this ICAN/AcCA/CPA issue . Kindly help please .

For someone who has ICAN and pursuing express entry , is it advisable to write ACCA (4 professional level papers) in Nigeria or he should wait till he lands to write CPA and claim exemptions with his ICAN ? how many paper exemptions are we talking about here ?

Thank You

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 9:17am On Mar 07, 2018
vcole:
Thanks @blackbuddy, called the contact number for the Nigerian consulate at Ottawa. They basically reiterated your findings.....to present myself on a day of my choosing between 9am - 1pm on Tuesday - Friday and that I would get the new passport the same day.
@maziude, thanks so much for offering to help, I truly appreciate.
@Nogen, looping you in here for info purposes regarding your renewal as well.

Thanks sis. Ottawa , here I come. Thanks for this Can I renew it now? It is expiring June next year and I need to apply for a fresh visa 3 months ahead. What do you think? We need to exchange phone numbers o.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Pamperme: 12:59pm On Mar 07, 2018
mamacajah:

Wow! congrats sis...10 weeks exactly....
Good to see timeline is still valid..for others planning short landing, hope this info helps in your planning and preparation.

Lol. it does o... Logged in to ask how long it will take so i can book the flight.

Thanks MummyJayGirls...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 4:04pm On Mar 07, 2018
Nogen:

Thanks sis. Ottawa , here I come. Thanks for this Can I renew it now? It is expiring June next year and I need to apply for a fresh visa 3 months ahead. What do you think? We need to exchange phone numbers o.
I think you can still apply for your visa now without any issues. You are allowed ro renew within 6 months of expiry. Since yours is expiring June 2019? You can renew anytime from Dec 2018 if I'm not mistaken. Na PM things to share number.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by JESUSisable: 5:22pm On Mar 07, 2018
Hi Behati and seniors,

Pls I recently downloaded the FREETONE app and my spouse called with his naija line to test if its working but his call was redirected to voicemail after one ring.

I have gone through the settings on the app but am unable to see where to deactivate voicemail. What do I do pls?

behati:

Hi Damidamsel, I know your question wasn't directed at me but I have experienced same and it was mainly due to the fact that my phone was on silent mode, and i didnt set call notification to a ringtone, so I don't hear it ring and only notice the missed call when I open the app. Once I removed it from silent mode and changed the notification from my settings, it was okay.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 5:44pm On Mar 07, 2018
Thanks all.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Asinkwa(f): 5:49pm On Mar 07, 2018
I advise you write the 4 ACCA papers here in Nigeria, then do the CPA conversion.
Converting to CPA from ICAN is almost as if you did not have the ICAN in the first place.
The only issue is the number of annual subcriptions you will have to start paying having ICAN, ACCA and CPA.

Talkingboy:
Good morning elders ,

Please those familiar with this ICAN/AcCA/CPA issue . Kindly help please .

For someone who has ICAN and pursuing express entry , is it advisable to write ACCA (4 professional level papers) in Nigeria or he should wait till he lands to write CPA and claim exemptions with his ICAN ? how many paper exemptions are we talking about here ?

Thank You

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chidaroy(f): 8:05pm On Mar 07, 2018
This is truly testimony galore. Congrats to you.

Nogen:
Wow!!! Want to share this great news with you guys. My parents' visas have been approved. They applied on the 1st of February (Visiting visa) Need them to come help me out while i write my exams as Oga has gone back to Nigeria.

Secondly, i got a school fees waiver. I paid the same amount as a Canadian student. The University gave me the privilege and what it means is that i must maintain great grades to keep enjoying the privilege. God is too good. I am so excited.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by koonlay5: 8:27pm On Mar 07, 2018
Hi,

Please, who can help me with understanding my GCMS note or a link that would help me? Been trying to get around it for a while now.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blessedluvdfavd: 8:45pm On Mar 07, 2018
@ AzeD1 , salford1, blackbuddy, thecongo and all ancestors smiley

Please I need clarity.

I have an Alberta health card obtained when we did a short landing in calgary in early 2016. Later that same year, I went back alone and had a baby. I returned to naija early 2017 and now we plan to return to Canada late 2018 but are seriously considering staying in OTTAWA.

QUESTIONS:
1. Can I switch my Alberta health card for the ontario healthcard and instantly get coverage?
2. Does it matter that I would have been out of calgary for over a year before moving to Ottawa?

Any info is highly appreciated.
Merci beaucoup!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eddycross(m): 8:51pm On Mar 07, 2018
Try this: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/gcms-notes-well-explained-has-never-before-until-now.390292/

koonlay5:
Hi,

Please, who can help me with understanding my GCMS note or a link that would help me? Been trying to get around it for a while now.

Thank you.

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by koonlay5: 9:06pm On Mar 07, 2018

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.