Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,101 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (289) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980517 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:35pm On May 14, 2018
bbaby84:

Very insensitive. So a few minutes is such a bother to you? May it not be your turn, that's how everyone should turn off their own alerts too.

That's how complete strangers helped me find my son 2 years ago at square one mall Mississauga. Please let's be our brother's keeper and stop all these .....

*post rubbed me off the wrong way.
Every parent worst nightmare.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 7:42pm On May 14, 2018
grin grin grin.

Everybody just dey hot this hot afternoon.

But errm... na just few seconds oh... wey get beta value

How many hours you dey spend for things wey no get value for social media?

Like my boss @bbaby84 talk , let us be our brother's/sister's helper...

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 8:35pm On May 14, 2018
TheCongo2:

That is the tricky part.
I always wonder what to do if I ever spot a 2 year old child wandering alone on the road.
Assume there is no phone around, should I carry him to the police? (Which may look like an abduction).
Dealing with children can be a very tricky and complicated subject in North America.

I am pretty sure the guy didn't know you were the mother. Else, he was going to notify you.
The same thing almost happened to me at a McDonald's restaurant when my 3 years old son walked out of the playground door but I was quickly notify by someone.

Ah! He saw him walk right out of the store. He could have brought him back into the store or called one of the advisor's attention. I don't even want to remember that day again sef. When we went to CN towers nko? My sister had to tie him to her waist literally with the belt on her dress as he almost went missing again. I had to ask if he needed the leash because his sister whom I brought it for never needed it. He was 4 years old at the time.
God continue to protect our children.

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 8:40pm On May 14, 2018
maziude:
grin grin grin.

Everybody just dey hot this hot afternoon.

But errm... na just few seconds oh... wey get beta value

How many hours you dey spend for things wey no get value for social media?

Like my boss @bbaby84 talk , let us be our brother's/sister's helper...

Yes boss! If we could adopt this, Nigeria will be a better place honestly...

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 9:38pm On May 14, 2018
Moving violation tickets.

If the police pull you over and give you a ticket for any moving violation such as going through a red light, or going over the speed limit, or making unsafe lane change , going through a stop sign, reckless driving … , you will be given the option of either to pay the ticket or to fight the ticket in court.

Guys, you should NEVER agree to pay the moving violation ticket without fighting it in court first. Always fight your moving violation ticket in court. The reason is that the minute you pay the ticket, the moving violation infraction will go on the driving record. And as a result of this, your insurance payment will go higher.

And this is how you can fight a moving violation ticket in court.

Immediately after the officer gives you the ticket, make sure all the information is correct, including anything identifying you or describing your car. Make sure your name isn’t misspelled. Make sure the all the digits of your VIN number that the officer wrote on your ticket are also correct.
Missing or incorrect information on your ticket may be grounds for dismissal.

In most jurisdictions, the police officer who issued your ticket is required to show up at your hearing. If he does not appear, your ticket may be dismissed automatically.

In other jurisdictions, on the ticket you will be asked whether or not you want the officer to show up at the hearing. If that is the case, check the box for the officer to be present. In so doing, if the officer doesn’t show, the judge will toss the ticket away.

In many cases, officers in Toronto don’t show up in court. They are too busy. Therefore, many moving violations cases are thrown out of court in Toronto because the police officers don’t show up. But in London, the police officers are most likely to show up in court

So, if you live in a jurisdiction where a police is most likely to show up in court, consider changing the court date when you get one. Typically the officer who issued your ticket already has that date in his schedule and plans to attend several hearings that day. If you have the date of your hearing changed, there's a greater possibility the officer won't show up.

Once the ticket date has been changed and the new date of hearing is approaching, consider changing the date again. This will increase the chances that the officer isn’t available to show up. In other words, keep changing the hearing date as much as possible.

And when you are facing the judge and the officer in court, this is how you can fight the ticket:

Challenge the officer’s version of event as much as possible. When the officer finish talking, the judge will give you the opportunity to speak. Ask the officer questions. Try to establish some doubt in the officer’s mind and the judge mind. You may ask the officer how certain he was that it was your car that was over speeding.

Common arguments involve casting doubt on the officer’s story. Defendants often argue that the speed measuring unit wasn’t used properly, or their view of a stop sign was obstructed.

Please note that moving violation ticket is different from parking ticket. The parking ticket doesn’t go on your record nor does has any effect on your insurance. So, if you have a parking ticket just pay it unless you have strong reason to believe the ticket should be dismissed.

94 Likes 54 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 12:47pm On May 15, 2018
Iyamefa:
Guys in Ontario,

Please pardon my question, it might be a bit insensitive.

Is this how emergency alert will be going forward? I understand it’s importance and all but I thought it was just a notification the first time so that anytime there is a province based general emergency, we will know. Now, radio, tv, phones, everything just paused and alert came on about a child last seen with a woman and to call 911 if seen. The alert even disconnects a call just to get one’s attention.

Pls is there a way one can ‘unregister’ from this alert services?

It's a government safety initiative, one can not opt out of it. It will definitely come in useful to marshal public awareness and response to emergency situations. Just accept it as for the common good smiley

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by stubbornman(m): 1:50pm On May 15, 2018
You guys should be dropping pictures nahhh make we wey dey Naija take dey get hope

22 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by annmmesoma: 2:21pm On May 15, 2018
hi everyone, please who knows where I will pay for the Canadian student visa application and how much is it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by annmmesoma: 2:24pm On May 15, 2018
hi everyone, please who knows where I will pay for the Canada student visa application and how much is it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 3:37pm On May 15, 2018
annmmesoma:
hi everyone, please who knows where I will pay for the Canadian student visa application and how much is it

Hi, you can make online payment at this link, https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/epay/order.do?category=17

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 5:13pm On May 15, 2018
annmmesoma:
Hello, this is the right thread for your questions
https://www.nairaland.com/4390108/canadian-student-visa-thread-part
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by xtacycares(m): 5:30pm On May 15, 2018
Hello,pls we would like to know how to renew our stay? My question is i intend applying for visiting visa to Canada but my passport will expire in April next year,less than 8months ,is it possible for the embassy to give me 2years on the passport?..

I have other plans & I am aware of the renewing of stay.[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by annmmesoma: 10:45pm On May 15, 2018
hi everyone, please I don't know what to do, the college that I am applying to have sent me my admission letter and also visa forms for application but they are yet to send me my payment receipt should I start the visa onfilling process or wait for them when they send me the payment receipt then I will start
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 12:14am On May 16, 2018
For your viewing pleasure

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 12:15am On May 16, 2018
bbaby84:

Ah! He saw him walk right out of the store. He could have brought him back into the store or called one of the advisor's attention. I don't even want to remember that day again sef. When we went to CN towers nko? My sister had to tie him to her waist literally with the belt on her dress as he almost went missing again. I had to ask if he needed the leash because his sister whom I brought it for never needed it. He was 4 years old at the time.
God continue to protect our children.

Amen. I thank God for you. It scares the hell out of me, can't even imagine what you went through.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 1:00am On May 16, 2018
TheCongo2:

grin grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by reavealhidden: 11:01am On May 16, 2018
maziude:
Amazing!
...gives me goosebumps! grin grin grin

Thank you!

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kylexy61(m): 11:51am On May 16, 2018
maziude:

Awesome. I cannot wait to land in August!

Which city is that?

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 12:38pm On May 16, 2018
Guys,

Please has anyone who sent passports to Accra around May 3, 2018 received any feedback on his/her CIC account or PUM from VFS?

I am getting impatient with them. After a long delay at London VO, now Accra seems to be taking their own time.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4Barr: 2:15pm On May 16, 2018
TheCongo2:

If the police pull you over and give you a ticket for any moving violation such as going through a red light, or going over the speed limit, or making unsafe lane change , going through a stop sign, reckless driving … , you will be given the option of either to pay the ticket or to fight the ticket in court.

Guys, you should NEVER agree to pay the moving violation ticket without fighting it in court first. Always fight your moving violation ticket in court. The reason is that the minute you pay the ticket, the moving violation infraction will go on the driving record. And as a result of this, your insurance payment will go higher.

Immediately after the officer gives you the ticket, make sure all the information is correct, including anything identifying you or describing your car. Make sure your name isn’t misspelled. Make sure the all the digits of your VIN number that the officer wrote on your ticket are also correct.
Missing or incorrect information on your ticket may be grounds for dismissal.

In most jurisdictions, the police officer who issued your ticket is required to show up at your hearing. If he does not appear, your ticket may be dismissed automatically.

In other jurisdictions, on the ticket you will be asked whether or not you want the officer to show up at the hearing. If that is the case, check the box for the officer to be present. In so doing, if the officer doesn’t show, the judge will toss the ticket away.

In many cases, officers in Toronto don’t show up in court. They are too busy. Therefore, many moving violations cases are thrown out of court in Toronto because the police officers don’t show up. But in London, the police officers are most likely to show up in court

So, if you live in a jurisdiction where a police is most likely to show up in court, consider changing the court date when you get one. Typically the officer who issued your ticket already has that date in his schedule and plans to attend several hearings that day. If you have the date of your hearing changed, there's a greater possibility the officer won't show up.

Once the ticket date has been changed and the new date of hearing is approaching, consider changing the date again. This will increase the chances that the officer isn’t available to show up. In other words, keep changing the hearing date as much as possible.

And when you are facing the judge and the officer in court, this is how you can fight the ticket:

Challenge the officer’s version of event as much as possible. When the officer finish talking, the judge will give you the opportunity to speak. Ask the officer questions. Try to establish some doubt in the officer’s mind and the judge mind. You may ask the officer how certain he was that it was your car that was over speeding.

Common arguments involve casting doubt on the officer’s story. Defendants often argue that the speed measuring unit wasn’t used properly, or their view of a stop sign was obstructed.

Please note that moving violation ticket is different from parking ticket. The parking ticket doesn’t go on your record nor does has any effect on your insurance. So, if you have a parking ticket just pay it unless you have strong reason to believe the ticket should be dismissed.

Wawu

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ToyinOA: 2:56pm On May 16, 2018
Hello house. I'm glad to be a bonafide member of this thread. PPR landed today and we intend landing in Ontario by the middle of July. Hubby is into IT and also has many years of banking experience while i used to be an office assistant. Are there pre landing services we can register for in Canada to facilitate our job search and also what are the best areas to narrow our search for house hunting in the Greater Toronto Area. We have 3 kids(5,4 and 2 year olds)

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kazchick(f): 3:44pm On May 16, 2018
redocean:
Guys,

Please has anyone who sent passports to Accra around May 3, 2018 received any feedback on his/her CIC account or PUM from VFS?

I am getting impatient with them. After a long delay at London VO, now Accra seems to be taking their own time.

I submitted too on the 3rd but nothing till now. Accra is the new LVO
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Patterns18: 4:03pm On May 16, 2018
ToyinOA:
Hello house. I'm glad to be a bonafide member of this thread. PPR landed today and we intend landing in Ontario by the middle of July. Hubby is into IT and also has many years of banking experience while i used to be an office assistant. Are there pre landing services we can register for in Canada to facilitate our job search and also what are the best areas to narrow our search for house hunting in the Greater Toronto Area. We have 3 kids(5,4 and 2 year olds)

Try SOPA, google them.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 4:49pm On May 16, 2018
Good day Good people,

I would appreciate if anyone here that has completed his/her ACCA examination, can please spare me the lecture material ( even if its for photocopy) , i wanna start early ooo, hopefully i clear the 5 papers ( after ICAN exemption) before PPR comes or before travelling.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 5:35pm On May 16, 2018
Guys in Ontario,

Please pardon my question, it might be a bit insensitive.

Is this how emergency alert will be going forward?

Pls is there a way one can ‘unregister’ from this alert services?

You see why I have always been saying that Nigerians relocating to Canny should "format" our (I'm sorry to say) not so ideal-naija values, mindsets, thinking patterns and attitudes generally and "re-install" the spirit of Canada- that which attracted us about Canada that is making most of us darm the life here and jumping ship- that spirit of care, genuine concern for the next man[whether rich or poor], sharing a smile to a total stranger, lending helping hands, volunteering in the community....etc

There is more to just following the trend of relocating- what do you really want to change in your life now? how do you really want to order your life going forward in Canada? what do you really want to add to your life different from what you have always had over the years in Naija??

Striving for a more fulfilling living and positive impact to those around you should be the goal......else ones relocation wont have made a difference, one would have just been better off staying back. grin grin

Like a friend in Halifax said to me in a recent call..."I just started living now, all my 35 previous years in Nigeria, I had just been existing" grin That was deep, if you can relate to the story of an average Nigerian and how the "Naija system" has made us to live how we have lived all these years. The more reason I always say it will be so unfair to make my children live the type of life and in the type of system I had existed in the last almost 4 decades!

It will end in praise IJN!

28 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 5:44pm On May 16, 2018
kylexy61:

Awesome. I cannot wait to land in August!

Which city is that?
Ottawa.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 5:50pm On May 16, 2018
maternal:

People like you is why Africa is what it is today. Let someone's child die, who cares, as long as my call isn't cut off. You're in a civilized society, get use to it.

Don't generalize Africa; make it specific: NIGERIA! grin

It will ens in praise IJN!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 8:12pm On May 16, 2018
Hi everyone. It's been a while. Tried to catch up on the thread. 280 pages plus! Congrats to all recent landed immigrants, ppr recipients, ppr hopefuls, etc.
@virt @rainazoe @happytbaby @honey86 plus anyone with experience regarding the acca to cpa conversion, mbok can you help me with a link to info about how long it takes and whether only cpa ontario and cpa bc accept apps for the conversion? Does cpa alberta accept it? Just trying to garner info for a friend who is in the process. As I am quite clueless about the kinks around the cpa thingy, whatever info you have would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance.
@bbaby84, i had my own scare last week when my almost 4yo decided to take himself and his younger sibling visiting down d hall to a neighbour's house unbeknownst to me. It was a nightmare....one that has led to extra locks installation.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 9:36am On May 17, 2018
ToyinOA:

@ToyinOA, congrats on your PPR,wishing you the best in canny land. You can read posts here by blackbuddy, fusion,azed1, thecongo, maternal, salford1 to get more information. ACCESS is one pre-arrival service you can also check out.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by verygoodones1: 12:04pm On May 17, 2018
Hello seniors

Oliver twist has come again smiley

Pls which is generally easier, changing money to usd here in naija and carrying to canada

Or transferring via the bank when one opens an a/c over there

Thanks for all the help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 1:10pm On May 17, 2018
Hey @vcole... Been a while. Hope you and your family are ok.Thankful your kids are ok... One can't be too careful.

vcole:
Hi everyone. It's been a while. Tried to catch up on the thread. 280 pages plus! Congrats to all recent landed immigrants, ppr recipients, ppr hopefuls, etc.

@bbaby84, i had my own scare last week when my almost 4yo decided to take himself and his younger sibling visiting down d hall to a neighbour's house unbeknownst to me. It was a nightmare....one that has led to extra locks installation.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 2:04pm On May 17, 2018
I don't know about CPA Alberta but Ontario and BC are currently processing.

The first step is to mail either office. I favor Ontario because most people have testified they are quite responsive unlike BC. I would write from the BC perspective cos I used them.

Your friend has to either have his transcript ready or do a course by course evaluation WES or any evaluation body. I used my transcript because it was cheaper. The CPA body will send a form to fill and also request ACCA letter of good standing. This can be gotten via email to ACCA.

He will also have to pass an online exam on the overview of CA law and tax which is easy peasy but expensive (CAD537 tax incl).

Once they are satisfied, he send over notarised copied of two IDs and wait for finance dept to tell him the cost of membership. Mine is$965 (excluding tax) because I am still in Nigeria.

vcole:
@virt @rainazoe @happytbaby @honey86 plus anyone with experience regarding the acca to cpa conversion, mbok can you help me with a link to info about how long it takes and whether only cpa ontario and cpa bc accept apps for the conversion? Does cpa alberta accept it? Just trying to garner info for a friend who is in the process. As I am quite clueless about the kinks around the cpa thingy, whatever info you have would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance.

1 Like 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.