Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1991389 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 12:14am On Apr 27, 2017
^^^Thank you for clarifying that. That was what I thought too.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keleto(m): 6:06pm On Apr 27, 2017
debbiejosh:

I landed in YYC(Calgary), after declaring my Nigerian food stuffs, I was shown the way to the new immigrants registration room.

However, you would be on the regular immigration queue till you get to an official who redirects you, after seeing your visa.

No questions were asked, the official just told me to sign, and welcome to Canada, I should update my address and PR card Would be sent there.

No questions on POF, and I carried physical cash.

I then moved to another room to declare goods to follow (can't remember the name again)

Calgary was where I intended to land, but you can change your POE as long as it is not Quebec

All seniors in the house pls kindly help to look at this questions.
Am getting my 2 year working visa any moment now.
I don't really have any province in mind. And I hope to start processing PR once I get over to Canada. As regard to jobs which province do you advice I stay. I studied electrical and electronics engineering (hnd). About 8 years working experience as an electrical technician.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 1:20am On Apr 28, 2017
keleto:

All seniors in the house pls kindly help to look at this questions.
Am getting my 2 year working visa any moment now.
I don't really have any province in mind. And I hope to start processing PR once I get over to Canada. As regard to jobs which province do you advice I stay. I studied electrical and electronics engineering (hnd). About 8 years working experience as an electrical technician.

Distribution is my specialty...your Electrical technician is in what exactly...?
high voltage, industrial or low voltage e.t.c ..

2 years work visa.. do you mind telling us what category of visa.

Also...your qualifications wont likely be recognized.

To scale this hurdle, you would have to write evaluation exams and provide proof that you actually performed what you claimed on your resume or return to school.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keleto(m): 8:52am On Apr 28, 2017
salford:

Distribution is my specialty...your Electrical technician is in what exactly...?

To scale this hurdle, you would have to write evaluation exams and provide proof that you actually performed what you claimed on your resume or return to school.

Good day Mr Salford.
I have worked as, (1) Electrical engineer(assembling, construction of low voltage electrical distribution panels and switchgears, 5 years , (2) Field service engineer(installation and maintenance of banknote processing machines, 2 years (3) Electrical /automation technician in a brewery 2 years

Is a temporary work visa with 2 years work permit.("working Holiday Visa) Is been handled by an immigration woman and I have deposited 200k and she said I would pay balance of 1m when the visa is out and verified. (non-appearance)

I plan to start processing PR in Canada if everything work out fine.

Pls kindly help me to x-ray all these points. For me to know what and what to do. 1)what you think about the visa 2)do I need credential evaluation 3)what should be my budget. 4) can I work with my Nigeria certificate,) HND) 5)any one to help me as in brief accommodation for a short time(not minding paying a little for it).

Pls I stated all these points for you to understand my case.
Pls I sent you a pm.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 9:47am On Apr 28, 2017
^^^ So Nigerians now qualify for the Working Holiday Visa? Have you done your own research without swallowing what the agent is telling you hook, line and sinker? 1.2M?

Last I checked (which was 2 minutes ago), Nigerian passport holders didn't qualify for that category of visa.

Attached are the countries that qualify.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keleto(m): 10:35am On Apr 28, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:
^^^ So Nigerians now qualify for the Working Holiday Visa? Have you done your own research without swallowing what the agent is telling you hook, line and sinker? 1.2M?

Last I checked (which was 2 minutes ago), Nigerian passport holders didn't qualify for that category of visa.

Attached are the countries that qualify.

I have actually seen your attached. Though I personally stated '' WORKING HOLIDAY VISA''. But I was told is a 2 year work visa. So I don't know the difference between the WORKING HOLIDAY VISA, and 2 YEAR WORK VIS
A.

Is there no other temporary visa aside, STUDY, TOURIST, VISIT VISA?
Pls clarify me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 11:02am On Apr 28, 2017
keleto:

I have actually seen your attached. Though I personally stated '' WORKING HOLIDAY VISA''. But I was told is a 2 year work visa. So I don't know the difference between the WORKING HOLIDAY VISA, and 2 YEAR WORK VIS
A.

Is there no other temporary visa aside, STUDY, TOURIST, VISIT VISA?
Pls clarify me.

From my understanding, a working holiday visa is like an open permit. Valid for two years and you don't need to get a job before hand. You get a job on landing and can change jobs as desired, as well as holiday.

While the Working visa is also a two year visa sponsored by an employer. This means you would have to get a job in Canada first, then get sponsored by that employer. This is very difficult because the employer would have to prove that they didn't get a Canadian citizen or permanent resident qualified for the job. How possible is that? With the skill set moving in droves to Canada everyday? I have seen just one Nigerian who qualified cos she sought for employment in a very rural setting as a Nurse.

Bottom line, ask your agent how far? How does she intend to manufacture a visa that you donot qualify for? Before you part with that 1M, please make sure you confirm whatever visa she gives you with the CIC. If it is fake and you travel with it, you will be returned from point of entry with a possible long ban. I've seen this happen to someone.

As for the bolded: Yes, those are the types of visas available to Nigerians other than family sponsorship. Also, the live-in nanny program. There might be some more, but these are the ones I can remember now.

Good luck.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keleto(m): 11:19am On Apr 28, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

From my understanding, a working holiday visa is like an open permit. Valid for two years and you don't need to get a job before hand. You get a job on landing and can change jobs as desired, as well as holiday.

While the Working visa is also a two year visa sponsored by an employer. This means you would have to get a job in Canada first, then get sponsored by that employer. This is very difficult because the employer would have to prove that they didn't get a Canadian citizen or permanent resident qualified for the job. How possible is that? With the skill set moving in droves to Canada everyday? I have seen just one Nigerian who qualified cos she sought for employment in a very rural setting as a Nurse.

Bottom line, ask your agent how far? How does she intend to manufacture a visa that you donot qualify for? Before you part with that 1M, please make sure you confirm whatever visa she gives you with the CIC. If it is fake and you travel with it, you will be returned from point of entry with a possible long ban. I've seen this happen to someone.

As for the bolded: Yes, those are the types of visas available to Nigerians other than family sponsorship. Also, the live-in nanny program. There might be some more, but these are the ones I can remember now.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot brother, you have really spoken well.
Pls I have pm you to explain how the whole stuff have been going.
Don't want to put the details here, for confidentiality
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Everest1989(m): 11:45am On Apr 28, 2017
keleto:

Thanks a lot brother, you have really spoken well.
Pls I have pm you to explain how the whole stuff have been going.
Don't want to put the details here, for confidentiality
yours and mine are almost the same...an agent said he will get a 2year Canadian work permit visa for me...Although I have not make any payment; he said is when the visa is out and confirmed...but I got to pay the mandatory visa application fee...my question is: does anything like 2year Canadian visa exist?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keleto(m): 12:47pm On Apr 28, 2017
Everest1989:

yours and mine are almost the same...an agent said he will get a 2year Canadian work permit visa for me...Although I have not make any payment; he said is when the visa is out and confirmed...but I got to pay the mandatory visa application fee...my question is: does anything like 2year Canadian visa exist?

Pls seniors here, kindly help us out with this
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keleto(m): 12:49pm On Apr 28, 2017
Everest1989:

I just pm you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 4:00pm On Apr 28, 2017
keleto:

Good day Mr Salford.
I have worked as, (1) Electrical engineer(assembling, construction of low voltage electrical distribution panels and switchgears, 5 years , (2) Field service engineer(installation and maintenance of banknote processing machines, 2 years (3) Electrical /automation technician in a brewery 2 years

Is a temporary work visa with 2 years work permit.("working Holiday Visa) Is been handled by an immigration woman and I have deposited 200k and she said I would pay balance of 1m when the visa is out and verified. (non-appearance)

I plan to start processing PR in Canada if everything work out fine.

Pls kindly help me to x-ray all these points. For me to know what and what to do. 1)what you think about the visa 2)do I need credential evaluation 3)what should be my budget. 4) can I work with my Nigeria certificate,) HND) 5)any one to help me as in brief accommodation for a short time(not minding paying a little for it).

Pls I stated all these points for you to understand my case.
Pls I sent you a pm.
Your experience fits the profile of a technician. Do you have a journeyman certificate? if you dont have...you should still be able to qualify to write a red seal exam for journeypersons if you can supply proof that you worked in these jobs, else the only job you would likely have access to are labour jobs in the electrical industry.

Slowlybutsurely has explained everything needed to be known on working visas. People i have met with tjat type of visas are usually from Europe.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by atiteb4: 6:35pm On Apr 28, 2017
Please guys am kind off new here.. .am currently in Ladoke akintola university of technology studying agricultural extension and rural developmen and will be graduating this year. I don't want to do nysc at all. Please how can I come to canada and hustle fully.. .i have plans on schooling in Canada after two years of hustle... .guys please help me out naija no pay me. What's d fastest and surest way of getting a work visa.....i have no work experience but am sure I will be good in cleaner jobs and other menial jobs. Please reply a brother please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keleto(m): 8:27am On Apr 29, 2017
salford:

Your experience fits the profile of a technician. Do you have a journeyman certificate? if you dont have...you should still be able to qualify to write a red seal exam for journeypersons if you can supply proof that you worked in these jobs, else the only job you would likely have access to are labour jobs in the electrical industry.

Slowlybutsurely has explained everything needed to be known on working visas. People i have met with tjat type of visas are usually from Europe.

I guess they don't write red sea exams in Nigeria
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keleto(m): 8:52am On Apr 29, 2017
salford:

@ Salford, slow bt surely etal
Let's assume the visa comes out and verified to be genuine, without job offer. What do you advice I do.

Secondly, let also assume the visa is out with a job offer, but the job is not in NOC O, A or B (for sake of PR application). What do you also advice that I do.

Pls seniors, I need answers to these.
Thsnks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 12:13pm On Apr 29, 2017
keleto:

Let's assume the visa comes out and verified to be genuine, without job offer. What do you advice I do.

Secondly, let also assume the visa is out with a job offer, but the job is not in NOC O, A or B (for sake of PR application). What do you also advice that I do.

Thsnks

At the bolded; what you do depends on the kind of visa it is. You would have to read the terms and conditions of the visa.

If it comes with a job that isn't O, A or B, you may have to do the job, save enough to apply to a college and take it up from there.

In summary, ask them the specific type of visa it is, so one can know the way forward. Read the terms and conditions of the visa, then decide what to do.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nievel: 4:42pm On Apr 29, 2017
My people do not be deceived please! There is nothing like working holiday visa for Nigerian passport holders. That agent is gonna chop your money and disappear into thin air .

The only category of Nigerians that get work visa from Nigeria are employees of multinationals like Proter and Gamble, schlumberger,etc whom their companies are sending on intra company transfer. Please please save your money and write ielts and get in the pool like everyone else.

Unless you want to risk it and dash agent 1.2M.

All the best!

keleto:

Thsnks

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 6:12pm On Apr 29, 2017
Nievel:
My people do not be deceived please! There is nothing like working holiday visa for Nigerian passport holders. That agent is gonna chop your money and disappear into thin air .

The only category of Nigerians that get work visa from Nigeria are employees of multinationals like Proter and Gamble, schlumberger,etc whom their companies are sending on intra company transfer. Please please save your money and write ielts and get in the pool like everyone else.

All the best!

Most people don't want to hear the truth. They let their desperation get the best of them. They only learn when they must have lost their life savings. The much we can do is warn.

I mean, how difficult is it to search online to see immigration options available to one and the processes involved?

I rest my case.

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by atiteb4: 9:48pm On Apr 29, 2017
atiteb4:
Please guys am kind off new here.. .am currently in Ladoke akintola university of technology studying agricultural extension and rural developmen and will be graduating this year. I don't want to do nysc at all. Please how can I come to canada and hustle fully.. .i have plans on schooling in Canada after two years of hustle... .guys please help me out naija no pay me. What's d fastest and surest way of getting a work visa.....i have no work experience but am sure I will be good in cleaner jobs and other menial jobs. Please reply a brother please
for God sake someone reply me am begging
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 10:22pm On Apr 29, 2017
atiteb4:
for God sake someone reply me am begging

You may try other threads that discuss Canadian visas. This thread talks about life in Canada.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by osigiepurr(m): 1:44pm On Apr 30, 2017
Good day to all my intellectual colleagues.

Pls, i want a good advice on where to get a flight ticket that is not too expensive to Canada from Nigeria. It's very important because I want a ticket myself and my wify.

Ur advice will be humbly appreciated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 2:57pm On Apr 30, 2017
osigiepurr:
Good day to all my intellectual colleagues.

Pls, i want a good advice on where to get a flight ticket that is not too expensive to Canada from Nigeria. It's very important because I want a ticket myself and my wify.

Ur advice will be humbly appreciated.

Have you tried Egyptair?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keleto(m): 3:14pm On Apr 30, 2017
Nievel:

All the best!
My head is boiling, then they won't return my passport
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by swiftkid007: 3:57pm On Apr 30, 2017
maternal:

Ask me what you need to ask me here

Good evening Maternal. I am new on this forum and have gone through some comments here. You are all doing quite great here. I am married, Bsc Biochemistry, MSc Community Health (Occupational Health) but have not been able to use it to get a job here in Nigeria. I would like to relocate to Canada, with my family (wife and a toddler). What are my chances? Can you guide me on how to go about it? Thank you. Seniors in the house can also help. I will be really grateful. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by osigiepurr(m): 6:20pm On Apr 30, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

Have you tried Egyptair?
I have not tried it. Please, how do i go about it?.
Thanks for your quick response.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by osigiepurr(m): 6:20pm On Apr 30, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

Have you tried Egyptair?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Markab: 6:28pm On Apr 30, 2017
Www.egyptair.com

osigiepurr:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by osigiepurr(m): 6:46pm On Apr 30, 2017
Markab:
Www.egyptair.com

Thanks boss.....Jah bless

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by temitope06(m): 7:57pm On Apr 30, 2017
swiftkid007:

Good evening Maternal. I am new on this forum and have gone through some comments here. You are all doing quite great here. I am married, Bsc Biochemistry, MSc Community Health (Occupational Health) but have not been able to use it to get a job here in Nigeria. I would like to relocate to Canada, with my family (wife and a toddler). What are my chances? Can you guide me on how to go about it? Thank you. Seniors in the house can also help. I will be really grateful. Thanks

Have you tried Express Entry? Locate the Express Entry thread in this Travel section and you will have all the info you need there. You can ask any question there but read through the first 5 pages to get a basic understanding.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lavivaavril(f): 6:51am On May 02, 2017
osigiepurr:

You can even check wakanow. Egyptair is about 500k plus for two people, one way flight.

2 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.