Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,033 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times (1268 Views)

Buhari Makes An APC Chieftain Laugh Out Loud (Photos) / Buhari Makes New Appointments For FAAN, NCAA, NAMA, Rural Electrification Agency / Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by nwabobo: 4:56am On Feb 09, 2017
Nigeria’s president is missing in action
Muhammadu Buhari’s absence sends the rumour mill spinning

YESTERDAY by: David Pilling
For two weeks, Muhammadu Buhari, Nigeria’s septuagenarian president, has been out of action, receiving medical treatment in London for an undisclosed illness. His absence has sent the rumour mill of Africa’s most populous nation spinning, with frequent erroneous reports that the president is dead. The tragedy for Nigeria is that policymaking has been so ponderous during the 20 months since Mr Buhari took office that, dead or alive, it is not always easy to tell the difference.

Under Mr Buhari’s slow-blinking leadership, Africa’s largest economy has drifted into crisis. Brought low by the weak oil price, on which government revenues are woefully dependent, the system has been starved of dollars. That has driven businesses into the ground, people on to the margins and the economy into its worst recession in 25 years. What had been a growing middle class is being daily eviscerated. High inflation, especially for food, is damaging the poor in whose name Mr Buhari ran for office.

There are signs that Nigerians — among the most resilient and adaptive people on the continent — are losing patience. This week, there were small, but rowdy, protests in Lagos and Abuja, at which demonstrators complained about their “missing president”.

There is an irony that Mr Buhari, a retired major general, is missing in action. He ran the country as a military ruler in the mid-1980s after seizing power in a coup. In civilian guise, his leadership style has verged on the invisible. After winning power in 2015 on the fourth attempt at the ballot box, he set out at a pace that has marked his presidency: it took him six months to name a cabinet. Hopes that he had surrounded himself with a lean team of capable technocrats empowered to get policy cranking have come to naught. Policymaking — such that it is — has been crafted instead by a tiny cabal of loyal, less qualified, stalwarts. Mr Buhari has failed to articulate anything approaching a vision.

During his campaign, Nigeria’s soldier-turned-politician promised to train his sight on three main objectives: to improve security, crack down on corruption and diversify the oil-dependent economy. Progress on the first two has been patchy, and on the third dismal.

On security, Mr Buhari has managed to galvanise a demoralised army and make gains against Boko Haram, a terrorist organisation that had been metastasising beyond its northern base. Boko Haram has been pushed back into a north-eastern redoubt and across the border into Cameroon and Chad. But that displacement has been offset by security flare-ups elsewhere, most seriously in the Niger Delta where militants have been sabotaging oil production.

Mr Buhari’s anti-corruption drive can be boiled down to a few symbolic gestures and a few high-profile cases against members of the previous administration. Yet, systemically, little has changed. The confused exchange rate policy — in which the central bank doles out scarce dollars at an advantageous rate — is a recipe for opacity. The dollar shortage is killing off industry rather than nurturing it.

Seventy per cent of Nigeria’s 170m people were not born when Mr Buhari was last running the show, so they might not notice that his policies are stuck in the same 1980s groove. Statist and redistributionist by inclination, he finds himself in charge of a dysfunctional state and an economy with few revenues to recirculate.

To be fair, Mr Buhari inherited a dire situation courtesy of his hapless predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan. He did the country a service simply by beating Mr Jonathan in an election and sparing the country of further wilful misrule. Yet Dele Olojede, a Pulitzer prizewinning journalist, says Mr Buhari’s government has been “spinning around in circles”.

As well as the president’s flawed policies, he blames a bloated political system in which most of the 36 states (far too many) spend their time grovelling for federal funds. The mosaic of Nigerian politics is complicated by the need to balance power between north and south and between the plethora of regions and linguistic groups represented in the cabinet. That makes for a parasitic state, not one that can solve problems. “This is a system designed to fail even if you have capable people in charge,” says Mr Olojede, who does not put Mr Buhari in that category.

Nigeria has drifted before, though rarely at a time of such pressing crisis. In 2010, President Umaru Yar’Adua died in office after months in which his illness had been covered up. The man supposedly in charge of the country had been literally sleeping on the job. Mr Buhari may not be as ill as the rumours suggest. Politically, though, rigor mortis set in quite some time ago.

https://www.ft.com/content/544e58ae-ed4e-11e6-ba01-119a44939bb6

2 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by vanbonattel: 5:01am On Feb 09, 2017
Even oyibo ppl knows our presido is inconsequential grin

See finishing grin

7 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by samadeyemi007(m): 5:01am On Feb 09, 2017
Who no know that abeggyy.......
Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by sarrki(m): 5:02am On Feb 09, 2017
That is to the enemies of the nation

We missed our dear father,uncle brother,son

Mr president we miss you

We the progressive

You will live to testify to the glory of God

Long live Mr president

Long live muhammadu Buhari

Long live Federal Republic Of Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by spinna: 5:02am On Feb 09, 2017
ouch
Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by ayourbamie: 5:06am On Feb 09, 2017
They are telling u to just go about your daily activities like nothing is happening. In other word, the wailers should keep wailing and the zombies...... Finish the rest

2 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by fallout87: 5:08am On Feb 09, 2017
It is true.

I just don't want him to die because it means people from the south and Christians will be killed by those animals.

1 Like

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by vanbonattel: 5:09am On Feb 09, 2017
sarrki:

Mr president we miss you

We the progressive

Long live Mr president

Long live zombeism grin

6 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by OBAGADAFFI: 5:10am On Feb 09, 2017
sarrki:

Mr president we miss you

We the progressive

Long live Mr president

And how have we(Nigerians) been doing, before he traveled to London.

It seems your patriotism is only to PMB and not Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by sarrki(m): 5:14am On Feb 09, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

And how have we(Nigerians) been doing, before he traveled to London.

It seems your patriotism is only to PMB and not Nigeria.

Are you asking me?

Ask freeze001, Tonyebarcanista, Madriguy, dunkem, limeta, fulaniherdsmen and the high chief of wailers beebeeoh host of others they will tell you am a patriot.
Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by jejemanito: 5:16am On Feb 09, 2017
sarrki:

Mr president we miss you

We the progressive

Long live Mr president

Seun tell your programmers to add the feature below angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by vanbonattel: 5:17am On Feb 09, 2017
sarrki:

Are you asking me?

Ask freeze001, Tonyebarcanista, Madriguy, dunkem, limeta, fulaniherdsmen and the high chief of wailers beebeeoh host of others they will tell you am a patriot.

A very patriotic zombie grin

2 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by DIKEnaWAR: 5:17am On Feb 09, 2017
sarrki:

Mr president we miss you

We the progressive

Long live Mr president

Bia prove that you are human and not a robot. Type;

I have a brain and think with it.

2 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by OBAGADAFFI: 5:21am On Feb 09, 2017
sarrki:

Are you asking me?

Patriotism to PMB- yes.
Patriotism to Nigeria- No

Nigeria is bigger than PMB, APC or PDP

2 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by sarrki(m): 5:24am On Feb 09, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

Patriotism to PMB- yes.
Patriotism to Nigeria- No

Nigeria is bigger than PMB, APC or PDP

Bro my patriotism to Nigeria first

Then to Mr president

Like I said I will judge him after his tenure
Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by Nobody: 5:25am On Feb 09, 2017
Is that the President of "giant of Africa"? Bubu dey good as being dead already..giant indeed

3 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:32am On Feb 09, 2017
sarrki:

Are you asking me?

Shame dey catch me on your behalf sad

2 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by mesoprogress(m): 5:33am On Feb 09, 2017
Seriously, it makes no difference. Next is to remove, tear down his kitchen cabinet, sack all his ministers except a few. Emefiele and Adesun should leave with immediate effect. Daura and Co should be jailed not just sacked.

2 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by Nobody: 5:37am On Feb 09, 2017
No difference at all... I wish him sound health anyway.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by sarrki(m): 5:51am On Feb 09, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
Shame dey catch me on your behalf sad

Your patriotic should be to your president and your country

Not to a party
Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by Splashme: 5:56am On Feb 09, 2017
Hahahahaha . . . .

"Under Mr Buhari’s slow-blinking leadership, a once Africa’s largest economy has now drifted into crisis"

~ Financial Times

We are now a laughing stock to the international community
I feel so ashamed as a Nigerian

A

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:59am On Feb 09, 2017
sarrki:

Your patriotic should be to your president and your country

Not to a party
A President That Can't Die For His Country Is Not Patriotic tongue tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by 1shortblackboy: 6:02am On Feb 09, 2017
sarrki:

Mr president we miss you

We the progressive

Long live Mr president

o this one na enemies of the state not IPOB miscreants?....the day u go get sense i go go do thanksgiving for church i go put a very big offering because the impossible has happened

3 Likes

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by SpecialAdviser(m): 6:03am On Feb 09, 2017
grin grin grin grin grin grin See finishing

1 Like

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by NCP: 6:10am On Feb 09, 2017
We are still grappling with ban on certain goods, dollar wahala and corruption. As a practicing BioChemist, l cant fulfill my obligations again. l don't have
FerrousOxide,
Uranium,
Chloride n
Kalium for anybody.

Nigeria which way forward posters below me might have solutions.

1 Like

Re: Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times by Mynd44: 6:19am On Feb 09, 2017

(1)

I Survived Five Assassination Attempts In Eleven Months – Wike / Magu: No Going Back On Suspension Of Presidency Appointments - Saraki / Please What About $43m Recovered From Ikoyi Building?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.