Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

What Is Spine Decompression Surgery? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Is Spine Decompression Surgery? (814 Views)

Understanding Spine Pain And Management / Kenyan Man With World's Biggest Manhood And Testicles Undergoes Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Spine Decompression Surgery? by KimmieRollison: 7:09am On Feb 09, 2017
Sedentary lifestyle & hectic work schedule has given rise to many spinal problems. According to latest survey, nearly 70 % of working professionals experience low back pain at some point in their lives. Spinal decompression is a surgical procedure used to treat problems caused by pressure on spinal nerve roots & spinal cord. Usually, spine surgeons recommend this surgery when other treatments like physical therapy & medications fail to provide relief.

Major Signs & Symptoms of Spinal Nerve Compression

The following are some of the main signs & symptoms of spinal nerve compression.
• Severe back pain
• Tingling
• Extreme weakness
• Numbness
• Stiffness in neck
• Loss of sensation in legs
• Unsteadiness of spine
• bladder or bowel problem
Sometimes, extreme pressure on spine may also lead to paralysis. Patients must seek an immediate treatment if they experience worsening of these symptoms.

Different Types of Spine Decompression Surgeries

Laminectomy - It is a surgical procedure which expands spinal canal of patients to alleviate spinal compression. Laminectomy removes the entire lower back bone called as ‘lamina’.
Laminotomy - This surgery involves partial removal of lamina to create larger space. This surgery minimizes the risk of spinal instability after operation.
Foraminotomy - This surgery relieves chronic back pain by enlarging the opening in back portion of spine. It is mostly performed in combination with either laminectomy or laminotomy procedure in order to achieve better outcomes.
Laminaplasty - This surgical intervention involves enlargement of spinal canal by piercing lamina on one side & restricting development of spinal deformity.

Ideal Candidates for Spinal Decompression Surgery

Patients experiencing the following health conditions are considered as ideal candidates for spinal decompression surgery.
Weakness in Leg - Patients suffering from conditions like weakness, numbness, weakness or severe pain in leg.
Harsh Back Pain - Patients suffering from extreme back pain can opt for spinal decompression treatment.
Failure of Other Non-Surgical Treatment Methods - When other non-surgical treatment methods like medications or physical therapy have failed to provide relief.
Degrading Quality of Life - Patients having problems with simple activities like standing or merely walking can choose to undergo a spine decompression surgery.

Best Spinal Decompression Treatment in India

India is one of the prime healthcare destination offering a large range of spine surgeries to international patients. Spine surgery cost in India is extremely economical as compared to other western nations like United Kingdom, Australia or Canada. Overseas patients willing to get best spine treatment can heavily depend on reliable Indian medical services.

Re: What Is Spine Decompression Surgery? by stormtrooper: 9:54am On Feb 10, 2020
Thanks for the info, I feel like it's something very important in this day and age when all we do is sit behind desks. I have been struggling with a hernia for the past couple of months. I am trying to decide what type of surgery I want. Any advise?
Re: What Is Spine Decompression Surgery? by MrsSandman: 10:07am On Feb 10, 2020
I agree, since we live in a time where all we do is sit. we sit at work, in the cars on our way to and from, work, when we get home we either lie down or sit behind the laptop. So yes spinal problems are very common these days. What type of hernia do you have? Like what region (I'm guessing lumbar region L1-L2)? Because if it's there you can try a corrective surgery. I had one of those a few years back and I tried the new method by Dr. Mork who uses laser during the procedure. I was kind of skeptical at first (I mean this is laser spinal surgery) but it turned out really great. My recovery time was a lot faster and I had minimal to no pain since the cuts were so small and very thin. I felt like I could get up and move around freely the day after surgery. I am really happy with the results and the fact that I was able to get back home really fast. You should consult your doctor about this type of procedure since I feel like it has less side-effects and the recovery time is almost cut in half (at least in my case) compared to the standard surgery
Re: What Is Spine Decompression Surgery? by WooodSI: 5:09pm On Feb 16, 2020
MrsSandman:
I agree, since we live in a time where all we do is sit. we sit at work, in the cars on our way to and from, work, when we get home we either lie down or sit behind the laptop. So yes spinal problems are very common these days. What type of hernia do you have? Like what region (I'm guessing lumbar region L1-L2)? Because if it's there you can try a corrective surgery. I had one of those a few years back and I tried the new method by Dr. Mork who uses laser during the procedure. I was kind of skeptical at first (I mean this is laser spinal surgery) but it turned out really great. My recovery time was a lot faster and I had minimal to no pain since the cuts were so small and very thin. I felt like I could get up and move around freely the day after surgery. I am really happy with the results and the fact that I was able to get back home really fast. You should consult your doctor about this type of procedure since I feel like it has less side-effects and the recovery time is almost cut in half (at least in my case) compared to the standard surgery
Thanks for sharing your story. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

(1) (Reply)

Regular Sex Might Help Women Live Longer - Study / Facts Everyone Should Know About Paracetamol / Little Boy Got Trapped Inside Pot While Playing (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.