Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,985 members, 7,814,359 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks (2185 Views)

Aerocontractors, The Worst Nigerian Domestic Airline! / Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age / Ryanair’s Newest Money-making Stunt: In-flight P.O.R.N (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by tobilinoP(m): 6:07pm On Dec 05, 2009
i learnt that one of Nigeria's foremost airlines Aerocontractors now sell their in- flight refreshment , this was formerly given without charge once u have purchased your ticket. i consider this to be ridiculous.
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by Delta007(m): 6:20pm On Dec 05, 2009
tobilino P:

i learnt that one of Nigeria's foremost airlines Aerocontractors now sell their in- flight refreshment , this was formerly given without charge once u have purchased your ticket. i consider this to be ridiculous.
Why? Cos they do not give you a glass of juice and buscuit for free on a 1hr flight? Does Ekene Dili Chukwu give you pounded yam and egusi, complimentary on their 12hr bus rides?

Truth is, the airline business is pretty tight at the moment and airlines are struggling to fill up their planes. They end up having to slash prices to be competitive; hence, they'd have to cut costs in one way or the other. You have to buy our meals for flights less than 4hrs in the US. Do I like it? No but it's what you get when you pay $50 for a ticket. If you want your complimentary snacks, feel free to buy the full ticket. In the US, some airlines charge you for every bag checked in; that's how ridiculous things are but that's the way things are!
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by phuckNL: 9:16pm On Dec 05, 2009
tobilino P:

I blame them for serving free snacks in the first place. They should never have been serving free drinks on 1hr flights in the first place.
If you think you can not afford not to eat during the 1hr flight, then pay for the food. Wetin. Dem announce 5000 naira flight and you still want free food. Na Oleeeeeiiiiii you bi.
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by snowdrops(m): 9:35pm On Dec 05, 2009
tobilino P:

In that case i better arrange my own snacks like fufu and egusi soup next time i enter. Make man pikin chop belle full.
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by tanimz(f): 9:36pm On Dec 05, 2009
snowdrops:

In that case i better arrange my own snacks like fufu and egusi soup next time i enter. Make man pikin chop belle full.

Abi ohhh? I go add 50cl of fanta sef!!
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by snowdrops(m): 9:41pm On Dec 05, 2009
tanimz:

Abi ohhh? I go add 50cl of fanta sef!!
My sister; 50cl ke. Na one litre.
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by tanimz(f): 9:44pm On Dec 05, 2009
snowdrops:

My sister; 50cl ke. Na one litre.

LOL grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by tobilinoP(m): 1:44pm On Dec 06, 2009
@ PHuck NL
Why u dey talk like illiterate?
Ole ni baba ee!!!
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by phuckNL: 7:58pm On Dec 06, 2009
tobilino P:

@ PHuck NL
Why u dey talk like illiterate?
Ole ni baba ee!!!

See ur life. I bet u r one of those that has never been on a plane before, yet complain about airline services.
People who fly these routes regularly don't care about the meals. Lag to Abj is just 45minutes. Will you die if you don't eat for 45minutes. Get real people.
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by funkybaby(f): 9:06pm On Dec 06, 2009
if the cancellation of ''free'' in-flight snacks for a less than one hour flight will reduce the cost of air travel within nigeria, i will say it is a welcome development.

its not like they ever served ''assorted meals'' on the planes.

one pack of five alive juice poured into small cups for say about 20adults (or more) and then a scary looking donought or ''hardened bread''  undecided

no red wine sef  grin

personally, i think its a good initiative. . . . . all airlines should follow suit and effect the changes on lower air fares !
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by igbogolo: 10:05pm On Dec 06, 2009
Well, during the days of sosoliso, we normally get fresh coffee in the morning, plantain and fried egg in the afternoons and snacks for evening flights. I enjoyed the treats. also eating helps to ease tension amongst passengers that might have some phobia for flying.

however, i flew business class on aero once in 2006 from lagos to enugu. i expected to be served turkey thighs and champagne. well, it was not to be. i got baked beans, fried eggs, orange juice, sausages and bread.

now the issue is that aero is competing on price against a formidable arik and virgin nigeria on domestic routes. their strategy seems to mimic easy jet and ryan air who surprisingly have been recording huge profits than the mega carriers. there must be something about filling seats than flying empty on premium fares.

so after almost a 70 percent slash in fares, i still shudder at the thought of still requesting for orishirishi on domestic flights in nigeria. if you no fit keep your long throat, buy your own snack. simple. aero as it is has tried. let arik and virgin follow suit. such competition is good for the flying public, and thats you and i!!
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by funkybaby(f): 10:38pm On Dec 06, 2009
igbogolo:

Well, during the days of sosoliso, we normally get fresh coffee in the morning, plantain and fried egg in the afternoons and snacks for evening flights. I enjoyed the treats. also eating helps to ease tension amongst passengers that might have some phobia for flying.

however, i flew business class on aero once in 2006 from lagos to enugu. i expected to be served turkey thighs and champagne. well, it was not to be. i got baked beans, fried eggs, orange juice, sausages and bread. 

now the issue is that aero is competing on price against a formidable arik and virgin nigeria on domestic routes. their strategy seems to mimic easy jet and ryan air who surprisingly have been recording huge profits than the mega carriers. there must be something about filling seats than flying empty on premium fares.

so after almost a 70 percent slash in fares, i still shudder at the thought of still requesting for orishirishi on domestic flights in nigeria. if you no fit keep your long throat, buy your own snack. simple. aero as it is has tried. let arik and virgin follow suit. such competition is good for the flying public, and thats you and i!!

spot on !
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by noblegas2(m): 10:43pm On Dec 06, 2009
Aero-contractor is crazy, didnt i pay for the flight? if u fly emirates 4rm Dubai to Doha or Muscat wich is just abt 35minutes, u ll be given your confirmed meal, so why shuld aero-contractors be different?
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by funkybaby(f): 11:00pm On Dec 06, 2009
noble_gas1:

Aero-contractor is crazy, didnt i pay for the flight? if u fly emirates 4rm Dubai to Doha or Muscat wich is just abt 35minutes, u ll be given your confirmed meal, so why shuld aero-contractors be different?

well, i have flown on an iberia flight from madrid to heathrow (about 2 hours or so) and i had to pay for the snacks i ate on the plane.

i saw no reason to complain. the ticket was very cheap.

my point is: if cancelling free in-flight meals will bring about competitive pricing and hence reduce the cost of air travel in nigeria, so be it !!!!

however, if i have to pay 20,000 naira for a one-leg flight to kano, it is annoying that i get to be served a small cup of juice and tasteless bread.

i will rather prefer am asked to pay 10-15k and have a variety of snacks/drinks to choose from which i will pay for.
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by tobilinoP(m): 11:17pm On Dec 06, 2009
@ funkybaby
The prices are not coming down, they are still the same
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by funkybaby(f): 11:33pm On Dec 06, 2009
tobilino P:

@ funkybaby
The prices are not coming down, they are still the same

but aero currently offers the lowest fares. . . . if booked online ahead of time, right?

and their fares are way lower than arik and co? right?
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by FlyinNaija: 10:10pm On Dec 13, 2009
The airline industry is one of the hardest industries to run. This is due to very high operating costs. There are two operating models: Full service (e.g. emirates) and low cost (e.g. southwest). No model is better than the other; they have their niche customers. But the bottom line is customers want value for money. Therefore a well run airline is one that is run efficiently and offers customers value for money, whether u offer a 5 course meal on a 1 hr flight or u cram passengers like sardines in the name of Low cost.
When low cost airlines are mismanaged they usually go bust cos there is no way to cut costs as they are already operating at the edge of the envelope. When full service airlines are mismanaged they try to cut costs. The easiest, but not
necessarily the most sensible, thing is to revert to the low cost model which immediately brings down operating costs.
Aerocontractors was mismanaged and went into a financial crisis. The management panicked and decided to adopt the low cost model. They sell cheap tickets and have more passengers but it doesn't necessarily translate into more revenue.
Unfortunately 4 them , a significant proportion of customers choose airlines based on the services they offer. They can afford to pay to be pampered. When aero ventured into the scheduled airline biz a couple years or so ago, people flew them cos they had some sort of class. Aeroplanes were crashing, so airlines has to sell class. Now they are throwing out that class. Who wants to bet? It aint gonna last. Wealth in Nigeria is not well balanced; most ppl are poor and very few are rich, very rich. The rich fly, the poor enter the bus. The low cost model works in developed countries where the working class can afford $50 to travel low cost. N7000 cheap air ticket is not cheap to the average working class nigerian, so dont expect aero to flill their planes just as southwest does in the USA. In fact since they introduced these cheap tickets their passenger numbers have not increased significantly. secondly, the passenger numbers on other airlines has not dropped.
Explanation:N7000 tickets allows a lotofpeoplewho couldn't previously afford it to fly, but those that could have voted with their feet in search of comfort.
I wish them luck but i dont think going low cost will get them out of the messthey put themselves in
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by tanimz(f): 2:29am On Dec 14, 2009
funkybaby:

but aero currently offers the lowest fares. . . . if booked online ahead of time, right?

and their fares are way lower than arik and co? right?

Not at all, lagos to ph (the airport by airforce) is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive thann the other guys, but I most commend that their services are more superior (from ph to lag), but I guess Arik is stepping up.
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by zexyworm: 4:22pm On Dec 14, 2009
noble_gas1:

Because Emirates is a publically owned airline (emirate of Dubai). Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways are literally sitting on oil wells. Aero is a privately owned airline!!!
Re: Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks by noblegas2(m): 7:57pm On Dec 16, 2009
zexyworm:

Because Emirates is a publically owned airline (emirate of Dubai). Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways are literally sitting on oil wells. Aero is a privately owned airline!!!
hmmmm, makes sense though!!!

(1) (Reply)

Any Direct Flight From Ilorin To Kano? / How To Get To Wharf,apapa From Ojota / My Trip To Obudu Mountain Resort (OMR) And Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.