Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,857 members, 7,828,084 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End (18475 Views)

Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves / Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Hit $47 Billion - Surpass That Of South Africa by $4b / External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by me69: 11:37pm On Feb 13, 2017
rusher14:

What raw materials if I may ask?

Lot of our local firms buy inputs from countries like china, india and so on like special chemicals, polyethylene, fabrics, machines etc..
Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by rusher14: 11:47pm On Feb 13, 2017
me69:
Immediate? who's talking about immediate, i'm telling that they had a better response like russia.

So you would like to compare a behemoth like Russia to Nigeria?

Can you compare Dangote with Seun Egbegbe?

1 Like

Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by Thecassanova: 11:49pm On Feb 13, 2017
deomelo:

You obviously did not read your own rubbish.

[s]You brought up the president flying abroad for treatment and I rightly stated that jona and his wife were flying from London to Garmin for medical treatment[/s].

[s]And about politics, you brought up politics by claiming that what the whole thing with CBN and forex is political games and political elites.[/s]

Read over your post before submitting..
You simple can't comprehend my basic assertions. Hence, no need wasting time on further clarifications.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by rusher14: 12:00am On Feb 14, 2017
me69:
Lot of our local firms buy inputs from countries like china, india and so on like special chemicals, polyethylene, fabrics, machines etc..

And they should continue to import polyethylene at government subsidised rates from countries that don't even have the raw materials for the manufacture of polyethylene.

Na wa for Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by deomelo: 12:23am On Feb 14, 2017
me69:
Don't ignore the facts, manufacturers are closing, arik had to be taken over by AMCON because of unsettled debt. Politicians are still budgeting for brand new cars

What facts? Poor management and companies with poor business record folds no matter what?

Exactly what do you expect or want to happen after looting the largest FG earnings under Jona and PDP and draining of our reserve? Do you spend or continue spending don't have to waste or spend any how?

Do you continue spending based on $40/barrel oil same way you did when oil was $100/barrel?

Let me tell you the hard truth about facts, it's when you make a lot of money for so many years and failed to invest your money, when you steal, loot and mismanage your money, you will suffer when tomorrow comes.

You can even try in real life by mismanaging your salary and see how fast you suffer when your bills and rent comes knocking.

You people just talk and talk with poor reasoning and rational

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by plamonee: 7:14am On Feb 14, 2017
Kudos to PMB for saving during austere times. Thanks to cbn governor for a good job. At least there is hope. My advice to those student waiting for forex allocation to pay tuition is, they should return to Nigerian university. Reasons:
1. Is patriotic to do so.
2. There's no job upon completion.
3. Many of them are studying management courses which is well served up in nigerian universities.
4. Forex scarcity means we will apportion . Such courses that has the most likelyhood of landing a foreign job upon completion should be given forex. such like, medicine, software engineering, ict, and the likes. Upon completion they will join others to increase our direct remittances to Nigerian.
5. Nigerian university is not so bad, many of us attended it and we didn't turn out bad.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by agabusta: 8:00am On Feb 14, 2017
me69:
No point of having rising reserves if the Forex market lacks liquidity and the fundamental problem of efficient forex allocation is not addressed. When eventually the CBN start releasing Forex to people, the demand will be so huge that the reserves will again fall. Plus all these BDCs are just waiting for CBN to start selling at cheap rates so that they can change the nairas they bought at high rates from customers, when this happens it will be the biggest wealth transfer (pure money conversion, not based on production increase) ever seen in Nigeria. BDCs will be so rich that politicians will look like mere civil servants. And inflation will be soo high
When the reserves rises, it boost investor confidence and portfolio investors will return to the country in droves. Those dollar requests you mentioned may necessarily not be met by CBN but by other sources in the economy.

We first ran into problem shortly after the election when reserves dropped to dangerous levels and majority of portfolio investors pulled out their funds.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by chibuzorAbia: 9:38am On Feb 14, 2017
me69:
Stp arguing you have no point. If the CBN doesn't change it policies, as soon as they start selling dollars again the reserve will deplete because they fail to address the fundamentals of this Forex crisis. I'm telling the issue is not about hoarding forex, it is about allocating it in a efficient manner.

Let me assure you that you are talking absolute rubbish! You are just using theoretical jargon that you just don't understand. What in hell is efficient allocation when you are seriously short of money (dollars)? The only fundamental problem is we are foolish consumers of imported products that we are capable of producing ourselves. Everything else is nonsense. If I were Buhari nobody will withdraw 1 cent from the CBN. If we can't produce anything then let us DIE!

1 Like

Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by me69: 12:42pm On Feb 14, 2017
chibuzorAbia:

Let me assure you that you are talking absolute rubbish! You are just using theoretical jargon that you just don't understand. What in hell is efficient allocation when you are seriously short of money (dollars)? The only fundamental problem is we are foolish consumers of imported products that we are capable of producing ourselves. Everything else is nonsense. If I were Buhari nobody will withdraw 1 cent from the CBN. If we can't produce anything then let us DIE!
The people will kill you before you kill them, there some items that nigerian cannot produce in the immediate, this a issue far beyond the importation of toothpicks
Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by me69: 12:45pm On Feb 14, 2017
agabusta:
When the reserves rises, it boost investor confidence and portfolio investors will return to the country in droves. Those dollar requests you mentioned may necessarily not be met by CBN but by other sources in the economy.

We first ran into problem shortly after the election when reserves dropped to dangerous levels and majority of portfolio investors pulled out their funds.
How will investors have confidence if they know that they can't take away their profits because no dollar. No foreign investor will invest because of that, he cant get his money back because he won't be able to change his profit to his own currency, or even get dollars to buy inputs to produce in Nigeria
Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by me69: 12:50pm On Feb 14, 2017
deomelo:

What facts? Poor management and companies with poor business record folds no matter what?

Exactly what do you expect or want to happen after looting the largest FG earnings under Jona and PDP and draining of our reserve? Do you spend or continue spending don't have to waste or spend any how?

Do you continue spending based on $40/barrel oil same way you did when oil was $100/barrel?

Let me tell you the hard truth about facts, it's when you make a lot of money for so many years and failed to invest your money, when you steal, loot and mismanage your money, you will suffer when tomorrow comes.

You can even try in real life by mismanaging your salary and see how fast you suffer when your bills and rent comes knocking.

You people just talk and talk with poor reasoning and rational
Now i see why you are confused, you don't even know what the reserves are. Look the dollar that is in the reserves are mainly proceeds from oil sale, when the government sell oil and receive dollars they sell the dollars back to the CBN for naira in return which is then distributed as allocations to states and FG, you cannot look at it as money meant for the government because CBN is independent
Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by me69: 12:53pm On Feb 14, 2017
rusher14:

And they should continue to import polyethylene at government subsidised rates from countries that don't even have the raw materials for the manufacture of polyethylene.

Na wa for Africa.
Some local firms produce plastics of all sorts for plastic bags, jerricans, bottles etc... the fact is that they need the raw materials like polyethylene, some companies produce aluminum roofing and import the aluminum where in Nigeria do we have metallurgy industry
Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by me69: 12:54pm On Feb 14, 2017
rusher14:

So you would like to compare a behemoth like Russia to Nigeria?

Can you compare Dangote with Seun Egbegbe?
What d u even mean by compare? Yes we take lessons from other people situations, that is what reserch is all about
Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by Horus(m): 5:19am On Feb 24, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htgbgt4uw-U

Nigeria Central Bank to sell off $500 million to improve dollar liquidity

Nigeria's central bank will sell $500 million to help improve dollar liquidity a day after the bank effectively devalued the naira for retail currency sales. Nigeria has been running short of dollars as its oil revenues have fallen along with the price of crude. That has driven the naira to a low of 520 to the dollar on the black market, far weaker than the official inter-bank rate of 305.
Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by Adminisher: 5:41am On Feb 24, 2017
druidvision:
So am I supposed to have an erection on this news? The issue is not to grow foreign reserves, the tools cbn is using to support economic growth are outdated. It's like using the manual of a 1985 Range Rover to diagnose the problem of a 2017 Range Rover.

Go and grow yams, cocoa or rice. Manufacture and sell something. Invent something no matter how small, look for a better way to do things. If only 100000 people in Nigeria do this the economy will improve.
The buying and selling model of Economics that PDP sold you will destroy your generation
Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by toniok: 6:43am On Feb 24, 2017
me69:
Immediate? who's talking about immediate, i'm telling that they had a better response like russia.

Why are you comparing Nigeria with Russia for God's sake? most of these countries over the years used there oil wealth to develop their country (build good schools, hospitals, roads, housing, manufacturing entities etc). so whatever the situation, you will never see them running around looking for FX to travel outside their country for schooling, hospital, importation of -rice,toothpick, shoes etc. Our Government failed over the year's to put any of these things down for us. rather they stole every thing and took them to other people's country not even investing any part of it in this country

1 Like

Re: Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End by me69: 3:51pm On Feb 24, 2017
toniok:

Why are you comparing Nigeria with Russia for God's sake? most of these countries over the years used there oil wealth to develop their country (build good schools, hospitals, roads, housing, manufacturing entities etc). so whatever the situation, you will never see them running around looking for FX to travel outside their country for schooling, hospital, importation of -rice,toothpick, shoes etc. Our Government failed over the year's to put any of these things down for us. rather they stole every thing and took them to other people's country not even investing any part of it in this country
Stop whinnig, I'm sick of people like you waiting for government to do everything for you. No the government has part of responsability but stop whinning PLEASE pff

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Peter Obi Wins Politician Of The Year At Ongoing Leadership Awards / BUHARI's SUPREME MILITARY COUNCIL , Names And States Of Origin Of Members. / Governors’ Forum Congratulates Buhari, Thanks Jonathan For Concession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.