Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,775 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:56 AM

Kanu Is 55 Years Old! - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kanu Is 55 Years Old! (7167 Views)

Nwankwo Kanu Celebrates His 39th Birthday Today! / Japan ’93 Heroes: Kanu Is Last Man Standing ! / Fortune Chukwudi (Under-17 Captain) Is At Least 25 Years Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by triaophant: 1:35am On Dec 22, 2009
Mama-gee, the essay is for people who do not see anything good in their fellow countrymen and women. At the age of 42 years, ROGER MILLER became an enigma in African and world football. His record at the world cup is still standing till today. At the age of over 40 years, the great Dwight Yorke was celebrated in Trinidad and Tobago with the national stadium named after him. At the age of over 40 years, ROY KEANE was the master at MAN U and was still the captain of Ireland, At the age of almost 40 years, Rabah Madjar of Algeria made nonsense of a star studded Nigerian team. At that age, Roberto Baggio dispatched the killer punch that eliminated Nigeria from US '94 world cup, At that age, Pele and Maradona were still active in the round leather game. At that age, Peter Shilton and Gary Linekar were still actively hitting the ball for England. IN SUMMARY LIKE I EARLIER SAID IN MY POST< ONLY KANU AND HIS PARENTS CAN RIGHTLY TELL US HIS AGE AND SINCE HE OFFICIALLY PUT HIS AGE AT 33, WHOSE PROBLEM IS IT, I hope someone is not crying more than the bereaved? As long as his club need him, whether he is 50 years or not, WETIN CONCERN AGBORO WITH OVERLOAD?
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by mamagee3(f): 6:03pm On Dec 22, 2009
^He types another essay, again. grin grin
anyway, it's your choice
. grin grin
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by deb(m): 9:39pm On Dec 22, 2009
Our players are in trouble. This is what you get when you publicly disgrace yourself in the eyes
of the world like we did at the just concluded Nigeria 2009. Fewer clubs will be interested in buying our players now because they don't want old
men plying their trade for them disguising as 18, 19 and 20years old.

The unwise and untimely disgrace meted out by Adokie will go a long way to affect the career of footballers in Nigeria but the sad thing is that
its not only Nigeria that cheats yet it is only our players that will suffer the consequences more now. I believe in sanity for our football
but I prefer that we deal with our problem within ourselves instead of happily and foolishly disgracing ourselves in the glaring eyes of the
whole world.
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:41am On Dec 23, 2009
deb:

Our players are in trouble. This is what you get when you publicly disgrace yourself in the eyes
of the world like we did at the just concluded Nigeria 2009. Fewer clubs will be interested in buying our players now because they don't want old
men plying their trade for them disguising as 18, 19 and 20years old.

The unwise and untimely disgrace meted out by Adokie will go a long way to affect the career of footballers in Nigeria but the sad thing is that
its not only Nigeria that cheats yet it is only our players that will suffer the consequences more now. I believe in sanity for our football
but I prefer that we deal with our problem within ourselves instead of happily and foolishly disgracing ourselves in the glaring eyes of the
whole world.

I cannot argue with you there; the impact of adokiye's revelation has cut Nigerian players opportunities by a huge chunk, but it has always been an open secret in international circles that a lot of African players have credibility issues when it comes to their Age (especially at the youth level). I had the same problem trying to market a stellar mid-fielder who regularly benches Taye Taiwo back at Niger-docks (Now disbanded). He looked young but then i discovered he was also called to camp at Nigeria 99. When Fanny Amun saw him, he simply wondered out loud, "Are you still playing football!!?" my 19yr old happens to be 33 yrs as of December 15 2009. He can pull of an exciting performance in an amateur league but will not cut it in our Local League or Europe because his performance against much younger and technically adept players will tell negatively.

That is what happens to over-aged players when they try to match football old-age+experience with youth+experience,  they fail ignobly.

How often do you see a 15 our 16 yr old playing in 1st division football in awa hardened (tough) local league. but Kanu and Utaka and Yakubu all did  shocked so who is lying and why would this knowledge not impact on our chances at the 2010 World Cup.?
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by Boyembo(m): 9:57pm On Dec 23, 2009
Kanu is 55 and will be 60 next year is an irony and this should not give anybody the impetus to jeopardize him,best nigerian player so far,team motivator both in nigeria and portsmouth,at 33 is still a hotcake what happens to your young obafemi m who is relegated,aghaghowa.Respect my man cause every team needs a motivator like england uses aged beckham
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by AndreUweh(m): 10:48am On Dec 24, 2009
Word.
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by Smi1(m): 2:41am On Mar 24, 2010
Kanu hater's should FuQing keep quite, you sore loosers ! angry
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by sulad82i(m): 5:23am On Mar 25, 2010
Old soldier never die.
Kanu no go leave football until the game leave him
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by sulad82i(m): 5:24am On Mar 25, 2010
S@mi:

Kanu hater's should FuQing keep quite, you sore loosers ! angry

Did u learn english on NL? ?
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by Duniverse(m): 8:03pm On Mar 25, 2010
Kanu is still good in pitch so
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by Duniverse(m): 8:04pm On Mar 25, 2010
Kanu is still good in pitch so
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by Freiburger(m): 12:25pm On Mar 26, 2010
Kanu is not yet 55 but he is not also 33 as some ppl may claim, he should be between 38 and 42.
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by enomakos(m): 3:43pm On Mar 26, 2010
what had papilo done to u people?

his coach was just joking

can a 55 years old man be fit as kanu is?
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by Moyola(f): 4:11pm On Mar 26, 2010
Uncle Kanu don suffa! cheesy
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by adeomos(m): 2:09am On Mar 27, 2010
oga oooooooooo
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by ikeyman00(m): 7:17pm On Mar 28, 2010
more bombshell grin grin grin grin haaaaaaaaaaaa

Kanu is 49, Redknapp mocks
HARRY Redknapp has a dangerman to Tottenham's FA Cup dreams.

He is Nigerian international, Nwankwo Kanu, the Portsmouth forward he cheerfully labels as a '49-year-old', serial puller of sickies and who once was both so rigidly legless and armless that he had to be prised out of an airport seat.
For all the 6ft 5in Nigerian's foibles, Redknapp still describes him as 'King Kanu, a great signing , what a player!'

Redknapp's tales of when he and the incredible Kanu were at Pompey had an audience transfixed and rolling with laughter last Friday.

"I took Kanu off the local park. He wasn't playing, just training on the park on his own - or so he said.

"He would ring me every Sunday night at 11pm so he knew I was in bed. "Oh gaffer, it's Kanu here.'Gaffer, I have the upset tummy, I cannot train tomorrow. I will not be in tomorrow, I do not feel well".

'Every Sunday. But on the pitch , first game, I stuck him on for the second half against Blackburn, he got two great goals and missed a penalty for the hat-trick. Monday we went to Middlesbrough, won 4-0 and Kanu got two more goals. He ran from the halfway line for the second. What a goal!

"We got back home to the airport and we were sitting while waiting for the baggage to come. Suddenly he could not get up. His body had given up. We had to lift him into one of those wheelchairs. grin grin grin grin

"No matter how the physios tried, his body would not straighten up. They lifted him up into the chair and wheeled him out the airport! He had to leave his car there and he could not drive. The physio had to drive him back. His body had gone.
grin grin grin grin

"How old is he? 49? I don't know (officially, he's 33).
But when you think he played at Inter Milan, won the Champions League with Ajax and he'd had a heart problem. In training you'd pay to watch him some days. He could do things you'd never seen. What a lovely guy as well.

"Yet when I took him, people at the club who worked with me said, 'He's finished, Harry'.

"I said, "No". I took him and he did fantastic for me and he's still there now. King Kanu. He's an amazing talent. Still."
Re: Kanu Is 55 Years Old! by ikeyman00(m): 7:20pm On Mar 28, 2010
haaaahaaa

anyway anybody that have watched King KANU live can only wish Nigeria got another young KING KANU

i remember in london when super e played Paraguay in friendly; this man dribbled pass one of their defender like walkin in an empty thin air

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obaseki Celebrates Super Eagles As Nigeria Progresses To Round Of 16 / Olympics Weight Lifting: Maryam Usman Is Out / COVID-19: Sergio Aguero Tests Positive, Self-isolates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.