Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained (61072 Views)

Advantage Of Concrete Mix Design Over Designated Mix / Empirical Method To Determine Material Requirement For Nominal Concrete Mix / Concrete Mix Ration For Decking Slab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 12:25pm On May 18, 2019
Muyi002:
Please I have three questions, please what quantity of sand, cement and granite/gravel stones will be required
1. To make a pillar that will be between block joining
2. To make lintel on 9 inch block
3. No of cement to lay 100 blocks

No1: 2 pillars of 225 by 255 = 3 bags of cement

No2: Lintel of what size and length? but cement needed is about 1/4 bag

No3: 100 blocks = 2 bags BUT the more the blocks, the less the cement. i.e. 200 bags = 3.5 bags NOT 4 bags etc...

all are approximate and without waste.

Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by oguguopenny(m): 4:24pm On May 20, 2019
saydfact:

Thanks sir,

Sincerely i'm not an expert in block making, its formula or mix - whatever info I give on that wld be googled...... I wld try expanding my knowledge that way soon...

It's safer to make 28 blocks out of a mix then the molders will do the ratio for you.
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 4:59pm On May 20, 2019
oguguopenny:

It's safer to make 28 blocks out of a mix then the molders will do the ratio for you.

thanks for the contribution..... that wld be 9 inches block

and about 50 for 6 inches block
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by tonididdy(m): 9:15am On Dec 12, 2019
saydfact:

200m2 is a lot of SqM - Well thats 135 bags if properly mixed or less if not.

Regards

Hello my friend,
Good morning.

I have found this your old topic very educating BUT I STILL NEED A LITTLE GUIDANCE.

Please I need your contribution on the exact mix for a 16ftX13ft one bedroom self contain structure decking (am sorry am not good with numbers and sqm).
We intend to put two tanks untop of the structure when completed, so I want a solid mixture because its manual mixing since its a small project.

Do you still use your 1: 3: 3 mix? If yes? How many bags exactly will cover this decking at a thickness of 6".

I await your Swift response.

1 Like

Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 9:35am On Dec 12, 2019
tonididdy:

Hello my friend,
Good morning.

I have found this your old topic very educating BUT I STILL NEED A LITTLE GUIDANCE.

Please I need your contribution on the exact mix for a 16ftX13ft one bedroom self contain structure decking (am sorry am not good with numbers and sqm).
We intend to put two tanks untop of the structure when completed, so I want a solid mixture because its manual mixing since its a small project.

Do you still use your 1: 3: 3 mix? If yes? How many bags exactly will cover this decking at a thickness of 6".

I await your Swift response.

Morning, thanks for following my thread - pls send me a Whatsapp message using the link in my signature.....

Don't worry - My consultation is free...
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Tjutt: 4:45pm On Feb 11, 2020
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Jopeters: 4:56pm On Feb 11, 2020
saydfact:

No1: 2 pillars of 225 by 255 = 3 bags of cement

No2: Lintel of what size and length? but cement needed is about 1/4 bag

No3: 100 blocks = 2 bags BUT the more the blocks, the less the cement. i.e. 200 bags = 3.5 bags NOT 4 bags etc...

all are approximate and without waste.

Goodluck

Hello,

Thank you for the educative information you provide in all your post.
I have been reading your post for awhile but only just signed up today.

Could you please help with the materials needed for plastering inside fence of a plot land measuring 18.00m by 30.00m @ 11 coaches

Many thanks
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Jopeters: 10:15am On Feb 13, 2020
Good morning

Could you please help calculate the materials needed for plastering inside fence of a plot land measuring 18.00m by 30.00m @ 11 coaches

Just the inside please. Thank you
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 9:47am On Feb 15, 2020
Jopeters:
Good morning

Could you please help calculate the materials needed for plastering inside fence of a plot land measuring 18.00m by 30.00m @ 11 coaches

Just the inside please. Thank you

using ratio 1:7
Cement = 15 bags
Sand = 6 tonne

This quantity is dependent on Mix Ratio or You could give me your workers Mix Ratio for more accurate quantities..

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Tjutt: 11:13am On Feb 15, 2020
saydfact:

using ratio 1:7
Cement = 15 bags
Sand = 6 tonne

This quantity is dependent on Mix Ratio or You could give me your workers Mix Ratio for more accurate quantities..

Goodluck

Thanks for your response.
The ratio is 1:5
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 11:45am On Feb 15, 2020
Tjutt:

Thanks for your response.
The ratio is 1:5

Ratio 1:5
Cement = 19.5 bags
Sand = 6 tonnes

Goodluck
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Tjutt: 12:46pm On Feb 16, 2020
saydfact:

Ratio 1:5
Cement = 19.5 bags
Sand = 6 tonnes

Goodluck

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by lexho: 9:50pm On May 29, 2020
the red stones are called sandstones and the Gray stones normally used for road construction are called gravel. correction. according to Wikipedia
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by lexho: 9:54pm On May 29, 2020
the brown stones are called sandstones while the Grey stones are called crushed stones. a mixture of grey stones and grey sand is called gravel.
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Chekitaut: 1:08am On May 30, 2020
lexho:
the brown stones are called sandstones while the Grey stones are called crushed stones. a mixture of grey stones and grey sand is called gravel.
As in? What are you saying? this is total mislead.

1 Like

Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 11:02pm On Jul 13, 2020
montana1965:
Thanks for sharing. I want to do concrete bathroom. I think it will look quite modern and unusual cause concrete look has become a real trend in recent years. As my friend said me, I can use cocrete paint. The ready-to-use concrete paint is a do-it-yourself product that can be applied directly from the bucket to practically any surface. This gives me opportunity to create my own concrete look in interior. with this paint, I want to refreshed the walls in the bath. I think it'll look amazing!

It shd.. However because it's a bathroom, you shd consider that the surface wld always be exposed to water, moisture and heat.... Wld it sustain and last the time?

I'm asking sir.. We all are learning
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by jogncartman: 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2020
montana1965:
Thanks for sharing. I want to do concrete bathroom. I think it will look quite modern and unusual cause concrete look has become a real trend in recent years. As my friend said me, I can use cocrete paint. The ready-to-use concrete paint is a do-it-yourself product that can be applied directly from the bucket to practically any surface. This gives me opportunity to create my own concrete look in interior. with this paint, I want to refreshed the walls in the bath. I think it'll look amazing!
I used concrete paint when I was doing repairs in the kitchen. Everything looks really cool, but do not forget to sand the surface well before applying the paint.

1 Like

Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by TylerSolana: 2:58pm On Sep 30, 2020
I absolutely agree with this! We also emphasize the importance of quality concrete mix for aesthetic and quality purposes.

Tyler from Encinitas Pro Concrete Co | https://www.encinitasconcrete.com

1 Like

Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Jibowskyy: 12:13am On Apr 08, 2022
What is ratio for a mixing of pillar and beams with a 3/4down of granites stone?
Please I urgently need your response
Thanks

Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by maysoft: 5:44am On Apr 08, 2022
Jibowskyy:
What is ratio for a mixing of pillar and beams with a 3/4down of granites stone?
Thanks
1:3:3
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 11:46am On Apr 13, 2022
Jibowskyy:
Thanks

sorry - i've been away for a while - how did the casting go?
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by FieldMarshall06(m): 8:52pm On May 31, 2022
saydfact:
Good Day:
Lets explain concrete mix and how your bricklayer is expected to mix your next foundation / decking.

Most time as Non-Construction experienced house builders, we put our trust on the bricklayers to mix our concrete rightly, however very few of them can be trusted to do the right thing - If your bricklayer negotiated for material and labour (its even more difficult to trust him) because he might be maximizing gain and reducing materials; often times even when you buy your materials; they tend to put in excess sand, granite ratio to minimize time spent in doing the job.

LETS DISCUSS THE BASIC RATIOS AND WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THEM.

We'll start by explaining what the ratio 1:2:4, 1:3:6 etc. means - What this means is the Cement, Fine aggregate and Coarse aggregate ratio. Where fine aggregate could be Sharp Sand or Stone dust and Coarse aggregate could be granite, gravel or stone-base (for certain project types).

1:2:4 therefore means, 1 part of cement : 2 part of fine aggregate : 4 part of coarse aggregate. This 'part' as used refers to volume. It means If I have 1 head-pan of cement, I'll need 2 head-pan of sharp sand and 4 head-pans of granite / gravel or 1 cup of cement, 2 cups and 4 cups respectively of sand and stone.

The above is the theory of the mixture.... but practically on site; their might be need to modify a bit.

Comparing Granite and Gravel:

Granite are basically rocks blasted and keep 'neat' while gravel are rocks that come with a lot of 'dirt' i.e sand. (in my terms) - It means if I have 2 head-pans of granite; I have 2 head-pans of granite but in the case of gravel, if I have 2 head-pans of gravel, what I have is probably 1 head-pan of gravel + 1 head-pan of gravel sand.

The implication is simply:

If I'm working with granite, I can maintain my mix ratios as theory has it but when working with gravel, you are expected to reduce the quantities of sand in it (because gravel itself contains too many sand) so you don't end having too much sand hence the theoretical ratios can't work.

Solution:
The solution to this is by mixing the first bag of cement & aggregate on site and adjusting the quantities accordingly.

Relationship Between Concrete Elements:

CEMENT - SAND - STONE relationship; In practice a 50kg of cement bag contains 2 head pan of cement; this means that if i have a plan to mix 1 bag of cement my mixing ratio would be:

1:2:4 = 1 bag of cement : 4 head-pans of sand : 8 head-pans of stone
1:3:6 = 1 bag of cement : 6 head-pans of sand : 12 head-pans of stone

but must you measure sand and stone in head-pans when you have large quantities to mix?

We have come to conclude also that 4 head-pans = 1 wheel barrow; so for my 1:2:4 mix - I'll have it as 1 bag of cement : 1 wheel barrow of sand : 2 wheel barrow of stone etc.

Over time on site however; you always find the above mix to have too much sand or too much stone....but that doesn't mean the ratios are wrong; IT MEANS OUR MEASUREMENTS ARE NOT ACCURATE - We can only get an accurate mix if we're using a batching plant (off-course not on our little project is this possible)

MY SOLUTION:
I've studied a ratio that works: and that's what I've always recommended on small projects, especially when the Manual Mixers (that mixes half bag at a time) are used.

1:3:3 is that mix.

HALF BAG OF CEMENT : 3 HEAD-PANS OF SAND : 3 HEAD-PANS OF GRANITE and if you're using gravel, you might need to reduce the sand content and increase the stone content to say 1:2:4 etc. mixed with about 30-35 ltrs of water.

Lastly; the other factor that affect this ratio is the size of stone; the smaller the granite size, the more you might need to add eg if I'm using the smallest chippings (1/4) of an Inch; I might need to make my ratio 1:3:4 instead of 1:3:3 to ensure adequate strength.

Lets create a 'healthy discussion' towards ensuring a safe construction practices...

Thanks.

Pics:
1. 1/2 bag Manual Mixer
2. Gravel (It is possible to get 'neat' gravel but most of the ones supplied are local and very dirty with sand here in Lagos)
3. Granite

Saved and thanks for this.
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 9:57am On Jun 18, 2022
FieldMarshall06:

Saved and thanks for this.

UWC - Thanks for following.
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Emmzyst: 11:05am On Jun 28, 2022
What's the unit of 225 by 255?
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 11:37am On Jul 04, 2022
Emmzyst:
What's the unit of 225 by 255?

225mm by 225mm
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Duzzlag(m): 11:01am On Jul 24, 2022
Concrete is good because they make the structure stronger. The only downside now is that they are expensive. But there are other cheaper concrete alternatives.

1 Like

Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Duzzlag(m): 2:01am On Aug 10, 2022
https://www.duzzlag.com/lightweight-concrete-mix-design/
Concrete is a durable material that can be used for a variety of applications, such as building roads and bridges. Unfortunately, because concrete is so heavy and bulky, it’s difficult to transport and use in large quantities. A new type of lightweight concrete mix has been developed that could make construction more efficient.
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by Lopigo: 11:21am On Feb 20, 2023
I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. asphalt
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 12:17pm On Feb 20, 2023
Lopigo:
I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. asphalt

Thanks Sir for the kind words - words as this keeps me motivated.... do check out my other post on buildings; you'll love them.... grin
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by saydfact(m): 11:09pm On Dec 16, 2023
Good Evening All.

How're we all doing.
Something new is coming... Watch out
Re: Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained by BlondieZ(f): 6:46pm On Apr 26
God bless you. Nice writeup!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cost, Estimate For Building A 3bedroom Bungalow In Nigeria (Detailed Info) / See This Fine Mansion Lagos Is Demolishing With "2 Days" Notice / Parapet Roofing Support Building In Ebonyi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.