Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,648 members, 7,861,995 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:11 AM

Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? (11680 Views)

Helping My Son Prepare For Common Entrance...help With These Questions / How Do I Stop My Female Students From Lusting After Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by nbuli(m): 7:48am On Feb 16, 2017
Lala, seun thanks for pushing the post to the front page
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by bsop: 7:49am On Feb 16, 2017
You caused yourself this, the best thing is to teach them before the exam and not inside the exam hall,thank your scar you were not caught while teaching them... They are more wiser than you.
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by curvilicious: 7:49am On Feb 16, 2017
I think you shld give hints not elaborate on every question asked.
Moreso, learn to listen to pple around u during d exams definitely someone close will be saying something that will remind or redirect your answers in a better form
Don't be d only one chairing the exams
I see you as one of those pple who want to do the boss in the exams and then miss important things
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Nobody: 7:52am On Feb 16, 2017
Go ahead, teach them all you can; it hardly matters. The School environment is surely going to frustrate your efforts of goodwill through those despicable alphabets it gives us to rate our intelligence.

Continue, OP, in the larger field of life, it's all about networking and imparting on someone else's life.
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 16, 2017
So you have a lit candle and they came with their own candles so you can help them light theirs. You did and they went ahead to gather some firewood and made a larger fire for warmth and cooking. smiley

Keep teaching them, their success does not stop your own success. Just make sure you study harder and keep improving on your own performance.

Teaching them helps you understand better, but don't spend all your time teaching, you need to learn too.

All the best.

*modified

I hope teaching them during exam period doesn't mean teaching them IN the exam hall? angry

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by snowden9(m): 7:56am On Feb 16, 2017
The people above me have said it all but lemme add.
This is just like a teacher coming to nairaland to say that she teaches students and they end up having companies, becoming politicians and billionaires, etc and she wants to stop. You get where this is going right?
If it's your calling to be a blessing to others without you receiving the full blessing others receive, then keep up at it cos in becoming a blessing to others, you are the one with the biggest blessing.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by sunnyside16(m): 8:02am On Feb 16, 2017
I experienced something similar. In my case the result went missing and i did mercenary in the course for someone else and still had a missing result same course.........finally i was just let off the hook by the course lecturer since i couldnt be cleared as the result was a borrowed outstanding in my profile.
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Respecter(f): 8:03am On Feb 16, 2017
Osasnidas:
u will fair well if instead of teaching them u hold group discussions. there you share ideas gain ideas learn their secrets and ways of answering questions. it works, I tell you.. group discussions help me to read and understand better, pls don't group discuss with people who only come to listen and not say anything or people tries to say they no it all. no matter how you read your efficiency is never 100%
well said
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by SycophanticGoat: 8:05am On Feb 16, 2017
You probably know little and teach people who know more than you do. During my undergraduate days, it was in only a few occasions that people I thought or gave my summaries and solutions to past questions made better results than I did.

Most times I performed better than everyone else in my class because of the time I put into studying the courses. I even reach 80 to 90 something in some courses. So Mr, the problem lies with you and not your friends. Except of course your friends claim not to know anything but actually are better than you.

Also, I'll advise you to desist from the habit of teaching people when it's close to exams because that's supposed to be your revision period. Any serious student should come to you on normal days to learn not when you should be doing your revision. I hated that habit of teaching people close to exam periods.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by toyota3(m): 8:07am On Feb 16, 2017
op.. shey u wan take 1st position ni for ur class grin
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Osasnidas(m): 8:15am On Feb 16, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Nah people like you been wan carry first for university grin
if I wan carry 1st I go just dey cram few days to the exam dey pour am.. then I go b superstar.. but I am not like that.. when I read I read wide, notes, textbook materials from the net. so if u just read only note and material. com dey xpet me dey tel u everything.. bros me myself wey dey tell you
. I go tire.. many pple get smartphone only few no how to use am for academics
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by talisman35(m): 8:21am On Feb 16, 2017
You will continue to fail,you know why because they are tapping your knowledge and not given you interm if knowledge back,The only way out is this find more time for yourself to known what you are not doing right ,ask those that passed very well in the exams how they answered exams questions and if you want to teach make it interactive sections,let everybody contribute in class ,you think those who you teaching don't know or you better than them ,bros Na lair o,One problem you have again is that you are not well prepared for exams , tutorial class has taken much of you time ,find more time for yourself
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Osasnidas(m): 8:22am On Feb 16, 2017
SycophanticGoat:
You probably know little and teach people who know more than you do. During my undergraduate days, it was in only a few occasions that people I thought or gave my summaries and solutions to past questions made better results than I did.

Most times I performed better than everyone else in my class because of the time I put into studying the courses. I even reach 80 to 90 something in some courses. So Mr, the problem lies with you and not your friends. Except of course your friends claim not to know anything but actually are better than you.

Also, I'll advise you to desist from the habit of teaching people when it's close to exams because that's supposed to be your revision period. Any serious student should come to you on normal days to learn not when you should be doing your revision. I hated that habit of teaching people close to exam periods.
yes u ar right.. I had that experience where a classmate of mine will wait for exam period to get close to me. the person wouldn't read but would xpet me to keep talking that affected me but recently the person was able to read we discussed and the exam I guarantee you am getting an A,.. I dnt like teaching my classmates but I do wen its for younger colleagues.
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Nobody: 8:24am On Feb 16, 2017
nbuli:
Am an undergraduate student, after teaching some of my colleagues during exam period, when result comes out, their result will be perfect than my own, who taught them.

Should I quit TEACHING them? Or should I continue....
Please help me out!!! Harsh criticisms are welcomed, one love!!

Well have been in such situation before but one thing help me out, had to find my purpose, dere is no dull person on earth my best advice is dis no human can help u rededicate ur self to God ask him wat he has in stock for u its nt ur strength nor ur brilliance but it has been hinm all along. Sometimes we feel we hav arrived nd don't ref God in everytin we do not some tins but in all tins we shud ref God.
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by femi4: 8:25am On Feb 16, 2017
I taught a lady MAT 103 aka Calculus. When the result came out, she got A while I got B. I avoided her like plague the following semester.

The truth is that your friends will always hide what they know from you.
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by wizsolzy(m): 8:41am On Feb 16, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Nah people like you been wan carry first for university grin

d guy logic Na dead.
I get one close pal for school dat year Na only wen we won write course wen he no know nae he dey sit down near me...wen results come he go pass pass me.. funny enough dis dude dey stay my house..bros I gat to retrace my steps....

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by donefezy: 8:46am On Feb 16, 2017
Reading through comments i shook my head for this country. That's why we will never move forward, simply because we don't want others to know better than we do. OP please continue to teach them to the fullest, because you don't know if they will still be the ones to help you later in life. Do it for the good will of your heart.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Akemim(m): 8:54am On Feb 16, 2017
OP.... U dont have to stop impacting knowledge, but you shouldn't do it at your own detriment... What i mean is this, if u haven't covered up ur scheme of work, going ahead to teach your colleagues is a distraction... And You also need to master the art of answering questions,...... I could remember a friend of mine use to teach us, but when the result is out he will have D while all of us will have either A or B.... And another thing, when you are teaching, they should also contribute, and don't feel as If you know it all... Because THAT is where you will fail....
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Opakan2: 9:37am On Feb 16, 2017
Instead of doing the teaching alone, why not make it a group discussion where you'll also get to learn.

some people actually read more and wide, they pretend not to know just to get the parts they didn't understand from you
Also review how you answer questions in exams.. might be that you're not getting something right, could be neatness or your presentation
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by proffemi: 10:04am On Feb 16, 2017
YoungRichRuler:

Remember, when you're talking, you aren't learning because you already know everything you're saying

Taa, this is not true. Teaching is one of the best ways to learn. As you explain, you gain new perspectives, and often see cracks in your own comprehension.

There are two possible problems:

1. If you teach multiple groups the same topics at different times, you're effectively wasting time.
Suggestion: teach each topic only once or at most twice.

2. Some people perform poorly under exam conditions either due to tension, or because they are unable to properly marshal their thoughts and/or present in a coherent/legible manner. Perhaps this is you. Something in your post suggests this. To quote:
"their result will be perfect than my own" Poor use of English will affect your performance in most examinations.

Suggestion: Try to talk to as many lecturers as are willing, to let you see your scripts, just to gauge how well you perform under exam conditions, and to identify any patterns. Also take steps to consciously and deliberately improve your written (if not spoken) English.
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by sharpshooter: 10:11am On Feb 16, 2017
You did not study yourself very well, Not possible you know everything at of the whole courses but you only give focus on those you know and teach others without given time to your lapses. Kindly also give more time to that and reschedule your time to study on your own.....Finally, dn't feel shame to ask question as well those you think they dont know may be of help to you. Thank you.
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by mikeapollo: 10:25am On Feb 16, 2017
nbuli:
Am an undergraduate student, after teaching some of my colleagues during exam period, when result comes out, their result will be perfect than my own, who taught them.

Do not stop helping your fellow students!
You never know who among them would help you in future.
Always help whenever you can. This life is a mystery. Being the best in school does not necessary mean you would be the best after school. and some of the people you helped in school could be key to your breakthrough in future.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Prodigy4ever: 10:30am On Feb 16, 2017
your ability to touch and affect lives positively in the area of freely giving what takes you time and effort to know and understand is plausible. this shows you value friendship and relationships and I assure you, you are not just doing this for them, you will never forget what you have taught as they will come handy some day. The challenge of low performance is not because u teach ur friends but you have failed to define the secret of passing exams. knowledge is one while implementation for exam purpose is another... learn to go thru past questions, join responsible discussion group, humbly meet with those you teach that pass their exams how they legally do so. shalom!!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by drtee247(m): 12:40pm On Feb 16, 2017
Don't stop teaching your mates.. The best knowledge is that which is shared..I think the issue might have to be with the way you approach questions in exams. Knowing the stuff is one thing, arranging it in exam format is another.. Just let it go both ways, teach them & learn from them
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by DanielGb(m): 1:46pm On Feb 16, 2017
It takes WISDOM. Study yourself and know what works for you. Your strength and weakness.

Don't give your all at once. (Learn to reserve the best part for yourself.) on less you are the proud type. Don't always let people know all you have gat. Its selfish yes. but its the secret.

Other things: figure out. some people are parasite and time waster. Give only what you can afford to give.
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by firstking01(m): 2:09pm On Feb 16, 2017
In the end they sort plus the already high scores and you remain at just the high score levelundecided
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by lawnreigh(m): 4:09pm On Feb 16, 2017
nbuli:

Its a cold world brother, they are not only coming to learn but also on espionage to know how far you have gone and all that. After they‘ve gotten all they want, they will come out in flying colours ahead of you. You have 2 options now, you can quit teaching them or release part and hold on the key ones to yourself which will be your joker in exam all to edge them.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Rhea(f): 1:45am On Feb 17, 2017
nbuli:

When you teach, you become better at what you think you know. It should be a privilege to teach your classmates. Seize the opportunity anytime it presents itself. As long as you pass the course, the question of who scores highest is insignificant. As a teacher/tutor, you can always include that in your resume.
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Digitron: 8:37am On Feb 17, 2017
Osasnidas:
simple logic.. u have 2 they have 2, when u teach them ur 2.. they gain 2 extra. 2+2 =4. while u are still with ur 2, thus 4 is better than 2, if u are teaching ur classmates do not tell them everything.. being an undergrad means u discover stuffs for urself.

ure a wrong, the best way i prepare for an exam is to teach someone else, the questions they will ask you will help you to discover things u dont know before
Re: Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? by Osasnidas(m): 5:41pm On Feb 17, 2017
Digitron:

ure a wrong, the best way i prepare for an exam is to teach someone else, the questions they will ask you will help you to discover things u dont know before
I guess u quoted me wrongly or you don't understand me.. wat am trying to tell op is that people he is teaching already knows wat e doesn't so if e teaches them wat e knows they gain more knowledge than him and perform better. wat you are quoting me for is quite different from wat you are saying.. am not wrong seeing am an undergrad in my final year. so I know whatsup

(1) (2) (Reply)

Learn German Language In Port Harcourt at Schneider Institute / Kperogi: Adamu Adamu's Admission Of Failure Will Be More Genuine If He Resigns / 200 Days Of ASUU Strike - An Analysis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.