Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,085 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. (3707 Views)

Quality Galvanize Movable Fish Ponds / Tarpaulin Fish Pond Price List - Cost Of Different Sizes Of Mobile Fish Ponds / Odourless Farms; Poultry, Fish Ponds, Livestock, Sewage, Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by Pavore9: 4:43am On Feb 18, 2017
Standing next to a fish pond on a farm in Kapsaret, Eldoret, Philip Adamba fidgets on his smart phone endlessly.

Soon, the phone rings and water starts to flow immediately from three taps into the fish ponds.

It looks like magic for first-timers, but for Adamba, this is his life. The young innovator has developed a mobile phone system that allows farmers to monitor and control their fish farms.

They do this by dialling codes that send signals to a gadget fitted with a sim-card next to the fish pond.

On this day, Adamba, 27, was at a fish farm belonging to Philip Maritim, 66, one of the farmers using the system.

The farm has four ponds with tilapia and ornamental fish. He also has three aquariums.

“Maritim only needs to dial a number and then key commands like switching taps on or off,” he says.

Adamba dropped out of the African Institute of Research and Development Studies in Eldoret, where he had enrolled for a diploma in electrical engineering in 2007.

It took him about 10 years to develop the gadget. In that time, he bought 30 new phones at an average of Sh3,000 each which he dismantled to find out how they work.

And last year, after testing it and discovering that it was working well, he patented the gadget. It has a circuit, a Sim-card and a battery.

“A phone is not just a gadget for communication but it can also be used to irrigate a farm, water and even drain a fish pond by dialling a number,” says Adamba.

LUXURY OF TRAVELLING

He has installed the system for 15 farmers in Eldoret, Kitale and Nakuru.

Maritim embraced it last October and paid Sh15,000 ($150) for it.

“Each tap at the pond is connected to the gadget and so I can command a specific tap, or all of them at a go to fill the pond,” said the retired civil engineer.

“Since my fish ponds are made of concrete, there is no sippage, I lose water mainly through evaporation. I, therefore, ensure that water is added to the ponds once in two weeks, especially during dry spells,” says Maritim.

The farmer used to keep cows but switched to aquaculture because his farm workers were unreliable.

“Every time I returned home, I would find the cows had not been fed properly. With this system, my work has never been easier,” he explains.

While it does many other functions, it’s the mode of watering and draining of the ponds that makes the system unique.

The technology, according to Maritim, has helped him to bring down the running costs. “I don’t need to employ many workers as I can do most things myself using the technology. Sometimes workers can lie but the system cannot,” he says.

Now he can afford the luxury of travelling outside the farm and still run it as long as there is internet connectivity.

Power back-up is required just in case of black-outs.

RUN IRRIGATION SYSTEM

Adamba has patented the gadget at the Kenya Industrial Property Institute, calling it BSR. The B, he says, is an inverted P for his name Philip, S for sensitive and R for revolutionary.

“What inspired me was the need to reduce farmers’ reliance on workers and also to secure a farm as the less number of people involved, the safer it is,” he says.

Apart from draining the ponds, the BSR can be used to run an irrigation system, setting the time when water is to flow in drip and sprinkler systems.

It also has a sensor to determine the soil moisture and notify the farmer about it before the water starts to drip.

Adamba scored a B– in the 2006 his final Form Four exams at Cheptiret Secondary School.

He says he developed an interest in engineering when he was in Standard 6. He would dismantle radios and restore them and also make electronic toys.

IN SUMMARY

- Technology can also run drip irrigation.
- Power back-up is required just in case of black-outs.
-. Apart from draining the ponds, the BSR can be used to run an irrigation system, setting the time when water is to flow in drip and sprinkler systems.
-. Phillip Adamba has patented the gadget at the Kenya Industrial Property Institute, calling it BSR.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by cbngov01(m): 5:53am On Feb 18, 2017
While our youths are busy developing ponzi sites others are making major innovation marks....supercool!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by odiereke(m): 6:42am On Feb 18, 2017
Good luck to him. Nice ideas.
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 8:43am On Feb 18, 2017
I have a team of engineer s that special ize in control system

That is not strange in engineering

what we do is to program a small unit that will be timed to do a particular task at a particular time .

You can also monitor your farm on your phone from remote location

Once you know the times of the day to you want to feed your animals be it fish, cow goats,poultry birds , once it is exactly the set time feeds will be release from the stored container at the required program ed quantities to the animals feeding container s .

It involve mechanical and electronic design

call Gbenga 08120528952
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by hahn(m): 9:20am On Feb 18, 2017
Beautiful

The farm has four ponds with tilapia and ornamental fish. He also has three aquariums.

Interesting
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by Pavore9: 12:31pm On Feb 18, 2017
hahn:
Beautiful

Interesting

Kenyans who eat fish have preference for tilapia, most of them don't feel comfortable with catfish as they say it reminds them of snakes! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by hahn(m): 1:15pm On Feb 18, 2017
Pavore9:

Kenyans who eat fish have preference for tilapia, most of them don't feel comfortable with catfish as they say it reminds them of snakes! grin

That is interesting

Tilapia is more or less a delicacy here and it will be really unique to farm it because honestly I have NEVER come across a Nigerian Tilapia farmer. I always wondered if it is possible to rear other fish aside from catfish
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by Pavore9: 1:41pm On Feb 18, 2017
hahn:

That is interesting

Tilapia is more or less a delicacy here and it will be really unique to farm it because honestly I have NEVER come across a Nigerian Tilapia farmer. I always wondered if it is possible to rear other fish aside from catfish

From the article it shows rearing tilapia is possible but our interest is not just there. I do believe there are Nigerians into it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by hahn(m): 2:10pm On Feb 18, 2017
Pavore9:

From the article it shows rearing tilapia is possible but our interest is not just there. I do believe there are Nigerians into it.

I just did a small research and found out it is actually big business and has great export value too

If there are any Nigerians in it, I am yet to meet them
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by ThunderingHooves: 8:16pm On Feb 18, 2017
Pavore9:

Okays. I think this fish has a huge future in Kenya.I have eaten it before and it tastes good. Most fish eaters are not actually lakeside people or coastal people (read luos and coastals), but a growing number of highlands originated people are the major consumers of fish according to my local fish mama!!!
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by 222Martins(m): 7:06am On Feb 19, 2017
Pavore9:

Oga, do you want to die in Kenya?? When are you coming back to Nigeria to start up something? ?

2 Likes

Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by Pavore9: 8:05am On Feb 19, 2017
222Martins:
Oga, do you want to die in Kenya?? When are you coming back to Nigeria to start up something? ?

Bros, who tell you say na only Kenya l base? grin

My footprints dey Nigeria. cheesy cheesy
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by Ademat7(m): 8:29am On Feb 19, 2017
Pavore9:

Bros, who tell you say na only Kenya l base? grin

My footprints dey Nigeria. cheesy cheesy
What are d areas of agriculture u r into in Nigeria
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by Ademat7(m): 8:31am On Feb 19, 2017
BoluwGoldenFarm:
I have a team of engineer s that special ize in control system

That is not strange in engineering

what we do is to program a small unit that will be timed to do a particular task at a particular time .

You can also monitor your farm on your phone from remote location

Once you know the times of the day to you want to feed your animals be it fish, cow goats,poultry birds , once it is exactly the set time feeds will be release from the stored container at the required program ed quantities to the animals feeding container s .

It involve mechanical and electronic design

call Gbenga 08120528952
Share more insight on this forum,don't just say call Dis n dat number
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 8:51am On Feb 19, 2017
For farm automation call Gbenga on 08120528950

what you can automate

water supply for irrigation, to overhead tanks,drinking water for animals like goats, poultry birds into nipple ,

Feed supply to animals

Electric light on and off on the farm

To switch on and off generator on the farm

To take pictures of daily specific farm task at certain time of the day

To do video recording of daily schedule task on the farm

To record voice massage on the farm!

To record 3 times daily humidity, temperature and pressure on the farm and send to the appropriate farm authority

To keep track record of daily laid. eggs on the farm and send the record of farm owner

Automation is about programing and robotic engineering

As an engineer by background who is fully into agriculture ,I understand the how to marry the two fields together

1 Like

Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by chinexchiboy(m): 5:14pm On Feb 22, 2017
Good day all,ikorodu catfish farmers can get their growbest feeds now.call 080-232-689-27,080-348-222-88,070-337-867-93.limited stock available.(3mm,4mm,5mm,6mm) best price in the market.
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by oscarvicto(m): 1:30pm On Feb 23, 2017
hahn:

That is interesting

. My brother, there are several Nigerian tilapia farmers. I rear both tilpia and catfish too. Contact me if u want to be enlightened.
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by Nobody: 12:07am On Feb 24, 2017
Wow, some people are thinking.
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by damilonya(m): 7:47am On Feb 25, 2017
oscarvicto:
. My brother, there are several Nigerian tilapia farmers. I rear both tilpia and catfish too. Contact me if u want to be enlightened.
pls, my bro. I will love to learn from u 2. My contacts in my signature bellow. Tanx big.
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by Pavore9: 8:51am On Feb 25, 2017
oscarvicto:

Can you open a thread and enlighten others on tilapia fish farming.
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by oscarvicto(m): 4:51am On Apr 17, 2017
damilonya:

pls, my bro. I will love to learn from u 2. My contacts in my signature bellow. Tanx big.

there a group called tilapia aquaculture developers association. drop ur number to be added to the whatsapp grpup
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by oscarvicto(m): 4:52am On Apr 17, 2017
Pavore9:

Can you open a thread and enlighten others on tilapia fish farming.

yes i can. working on it already. drop ypur number to be added to the tilapia whatsapp group
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by uzoexcel(m): 9:53am On Apr 17, 2017
Lol
Interesting innovation though..the power of pushing one's creative mind to solve everyday problems. I bet he 'll soon be invited on TedX
Will try and read more on this

cbngov01:
While our youths are busy developing ponzi sites others are making major innovation marks....supercool!
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by Emmafly(m): 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2018
oscarvicto:

there a group called tilapia aquaculture developers association. drop ur number to be added to the whatsapp grpup
08183549869 emmafly. pls add me. happy new year to everyone
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by jjblues(m): 6:47pm On Jan 03, 2018
oscarvicto:

Add my WhatsApp 09028949040
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by oscarvicto(m): 8:02pm On Jan 04, 2018
Ok
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by oscarvicto(m): 12:10am On Aug 06, 2018
Ok. Send a message on WhatsApp to +2349051843573 Will take off from there

Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by KdotThaTruth88: 2:35pm On Sep 08, 2018
oscarvicto:

I'm part of the team interested in contacting learn from you, light my lfie abeg, God bless you. :-)
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by patrickkkk: 5:15pm On Sep 08, 2018
Innovation solves problems.
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by yuriel(m): 8:09am On Sep 09, 2018
Want to be a member to a group called tilapia aquaculture developers association. Please add me, whatsApp number 08181130184
Re: Farm Where Cell Phone Fills, Drains Fish Ponds. by 222Martins(m): 8:10am On Sep 09, 2018
Pavore9:

I have asked this years ago and I am repeating it again, when are you bringing your skills down to Nigeria? I am looking to invest in any lucrative sector of agriculture in Imo state, we can work together...... It's about time you come back and contribute your quota to developing this country. You have tried for Kenyans.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Partner Needed In River State Startup Farm / Cost Of 8weeks Broiler / Updated Rates For Food Stuff Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.