Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference (18109 Views)

Fuel Crisis: Current Petrol Subsidy Regime Illegal - Senate Says / FG Petrol Subsidy Now N26 Per Liter / Control Of Federal Land: Lagos Defeats FG In Supreme Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by dre11(m): 9:41am On Feb 18, 2017
Petrol subsidy is back. The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation has been offsetting for months the difference between the landing costs of petrol and the pump price.

In series of interviews with knowledgeable players in the sector, NAN can report authoritatively that the landing costs per litre of petrol is higher than the price Nigerians pay at the pump.

According to a source, who is a staff of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, government being a listening one has been quietly bearing the differential.

“The landing costs hovers around N160 to N165. The marketers buy from us and so the government bears it because it feels it will be unfair to make the consumer pay the difference.
“With the current recession, the government will not want to burden the people with a price hike,’’ the source said.

Both the NNPC and the government are also concerned by the recent smuggling of petrol across the porous Nigerian borders to Chad and Niger, where a litre of petrol goes for over N400, compared to Nigeria’s N145.

A staff of the Petroleum Products Pricing Agency (PPPRA), who also preferred anonymity, said the marketers had no moral right to divert fuel meant for the people.

“For now Forex is a big issue,’’ the source said adding that “but the NNPC sells virtually everything it imports to them. So no marketer has any right to divert fuel.”

“If indeed the product is being sold for N400 in Niger Republic like you said, the Nigerian marketer has no right to look there.

“This is because NNPC is paying the difference just because it wants every Nigerian to have easy access to the white products.

“The fluctuating foreign exchange has not helped matters, but even the marketers cannot complain because government bears the brunt of the whole thing’’, the source reiterated.

However, a source at the NNPC fears that government may find itself overburdened by the subsidy as the economy is still caught in a web of recession.

“Soon the government may not be able to pay the price difference again because it runs into billions of naira”, said the source.

“Recall that at a workshop last year, an engineer with the corporation had said partial deregulation was unreasonable, he was right.

“The solution is full deregulation. Let the consumer feel it once and for all. This politics of walking around the problem won’t help at all’’.

On May 11, 2016 the Federal Government, through the PPPRA, had announced a new petrol regime of N135-N145 from its previous price of N97, which was heavily subsidised.

This increase led to various economic emergencies that affected all sectors and since Nigeria operates an oil-dependent economy, the impact was felt on external reserves, exchange rate, gross domestic product and inflation rate.

The Minister of State for Petroleum, Dr Ibe Kachikwu, had at the time said he would prefer to use the word liberalization rather than deregulation.

Kachikwu said the major plan of the Federal Government was to stop importation of petroleum products in the long term.

The global oil benchmark, Brent crude, which was trading around $41 per barrel when the petrol price was increased, is now $55.64 per barrel. (NAN)

http://thenationonlineng.net/petrol-subsidy-back-fg-dilemma-keep-paying-difference/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by Jafar1: 9:42am On Feb 18, 2017
nawaoo
Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by rifasenate11(m): 9:45am On Feb 18, 2017
gradually we are getting there.... the system is beyond control.this is what the government wants, they will rather continue to hide the truth. and the truth is building new refineries and upgrading the existing or sell off the refineries to business men who will conviently invest on modernising it. rather they will choose to continue to waste the funds on subsidizing the products on imports. ironically, for crude oil,we have the raw material but we don't have the raw material. I wonder if Nigeria is rigged. rigged by those who are selling us the petrol products. USA is milking Nigeria and that's why they were quick to install this present regime. they pay billions for the crude oil and in turn make the billions back by selling petrol to Nigeria. the past administration started understanding this and the USA picked offence. building a refinery in Nigeria is just as easy as building a block of houses. we have the money but they cannot allow Nigeria to do that. check what will happen to Nigerian economy of we export this petroleum products without importing crude at all. I think government of Nigeria is a puppet to USA. and they continue to feel relaxed being a puppet. I pray that God will give us leaders who will see beyond the billions of dollars being given to Nigeria and look at how strong Nigerian currency will become when we export not only crude oil, but petroleum products too and in a quantity that no other African nation can. our leaders be it whoever needs to see past frolicking with USA, party affiliation,ethnicity ir religious faith and see our real problems,look at what we can achieve if we stand on ourselves.

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by Shawnpattern(m): 9:45am On Feb 18, 2017
it is in their best interest,
to keep mute about this subsidy thing
cos we have had enough of this incompetent administration

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by dodelight(m): 10:09am On Feb 18, 2017
So soon?! Nemesis is catching up with APC already.
What a scam of a government! In their next opposition life they will no how better to play.

94 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by dodelight(m): 10:09am On Feb 18, 2017
What a scam of a government! In their next opposition life they will know how better to play the role.

9 Likes

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by omenkaLives(m): 10:16am On Feb 18, 2017
Thee panecea to this prerenial headache of subsidy is simply an aggressive push towards 100% local refining as this would not only create hundreds of thousands of jobs but would also save us scarce forex.

I wonder why successive governments, including this government, make achieving this noble and simplistic goal seem like rocket science. sad

What a pathetic situation.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by herzern(m): 11:04am On Feb 18, 2017
shocked
Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by dragonking3: 11:04am On Feb 18, 2017
If they pay subsidy then they should take the price back to N86. Simple angry angry

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by NNVanguard(m): 11:05am On Feb 18, 2017
Why deceiving the gullible? Where is the change?

Chai!
Enough supporting PDP or APC.
These Old corrupt men do not care about anyone else.
We also are not helping the matter by supporting corruption.
There is an emergence of revolution - The New Nigeria Vanguard!
While many of us are sitting down by our keyboards complaining, other young, intelligent and resourceful Nigerians have begun taking steps.
We have no affiliations or sponsors
We are young Nigerians who will defy the anomaly.
Do not be left out
THE REVOLUTION IS HERE!!!
Check my signature

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by massinola(m): 11:06am On Feb 18, 2017
Was it ever removed before? They have been paying for the same subsidy they condemned since time imemorial.
Please oh my people, I have been wanting to ask this question that has been bothering me for long. Please who knows where, when, and how the 2016 budget was implemented? Is it only me or are there others who feel the same way?
In an unrelated news,

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by dragonking3: 11:06am On Feb 18, 2017
omenkaLives:
Thee panecea to this prerenial headache of subsidy is simply an aggressive push towards 100% local refining as this would not only create hundreds of thousands of jobs but would also save us scarce forex.

I wonder why successive governments, including this government, make achieving this noble and simplistic goal seem like rocket science. sad

What a pathetic situation.
This is what we have been trying to tell you and others like modath, sarrki, quotasystem, madridguy etc..PDP=APC...No difference.. It is obvious this government is worse and very clueless.. They should revise the fuel prices back to N86 since they are paying subsidy

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by seankay(m): 11:06am On Feb 18, 2017
I just tire for this country. So are they trying to tell us that we won't see the gain of accenting to pay 147 naira as against 87?

No new refinery
No repair or upgrade o existing ones
Economy keeps nosediving

I think this country is not yet ripe for independence

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by gurunlocker: 11:08am On Feb 18, 2017
rifasenate11:
gradually we are getting there.... the system is beyond control.this is what the government wants, they will rather continue to hide the truth. and the truth is building new refineries and upgrading the existing or sell off the refineries to business men who will conviently invest on modernising it. rather they will choose to continue to waste the funds on subsidizing the products on imports. ironically, for crude oil,we have the raw material but we don't have the raw material. I wonder if Nigeria is rigged.

Getting where Abeg?

This government now understand its not that easy to make deregulation work without bringing hardship on people when the refineries are yet to be working....

4 Likes

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by Nobody: 11:08am On Feb 18, 2017
rifasenate11:
gradually we are getting there.... the system is beyond control.this is what the government wants, they will rather continue to hide the truth. and the truth is building new refineries and upgrading the existing or sell off the refineries to business men who will conviently invest on modernising it. rather they will choose to continue to waste the funds on subsidizing the products on imports. ironically, for crude oil,we have the raw material but we don't have the raw material. I wonder if Nigeria is rigged.

Build new refineries huh? At whose expense? Nigeria supplies about 15% of US oil needs and they have most of their oil companies in Nigeria which drill, transport, and refine the oil, and also sell it back to us at a profit.

So we should build refineries? You realize that such a move would interfere with US interests? Countries have been toppled for even harboring such ideas.

Haven't you ever asked yourself why no refineries have ever been built all these years? Just ask Sadam, Gaddafi, and Assad about that.

13 Likes

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by homebase(m): 11:09am On Feb 18, 2017
The fear of mass protest.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by Firefire(m): 11:09am On Feb 18, 2017
Shame on Mohomodu Buharu, Shame on APC.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by braimeddy: 11:10am On Feb 18, 2017
What kind of a scam government is this? I'm highly disappointed at the way this APC government is ruling the country. They know they can't meet up to their promises, yet they keep on pushing till recession is now affecting over 80% of the populace. They could have jejely allowed GEJ govt to continue their rule. At least there's nothing like recession when GEJ was in power. This present govt have failed woefully.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by feldido(m): 11:10am On Feb 18, 2017
Is this Administration on Drugs? undecided

19 Likes

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by Firefire(m): 11:10am On Feb 18, 2017
dodelight:
What a scam of a government! In their next opposition life they will no how better to play.

Reason I hate APC with passion, most especially that Lienus called Lie Mohammed.

They played wicked opposition with everything, including our national security.

I love Karma...

Sai Barber!

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by Mopolchi: 11:11am On Feb 18, 2017
I thought apc say dem don remove am why do back now? Apc na dog?

4 Likes

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by curvilicious: 11:12am On Feb 18, 2017
Subsidy matter is back!
@ some point they said they removed subsidy and i said we will hear subsidy matter in the future, i never knew it will come up this soon. Less than two years subsidy will be removed twice.
Oh this govt my smoking weed

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by greatgod2012(f): 11:12am On Feb 18, 2017
The subsidy PMB said wasn't existing is now existing!

What a disappointment?

Karma is real!

18 Likes

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by deflover(m): 11:12am On Feb 18, 2017
Landing cost we hear every time
Who collects this landing cost
Is it not the government
Why not remove it
And let landing cost be free on petroleum products
And work on building refineries
Oh I forgot most of our crude are refined in obj refineries in the Caribbean

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by Karlman: 11:13am On Feb 18, 2017
THIS GOVERNMENT TIRE ME ...IF PDP was to still be in power today petrol will still be under one hundred naira or at most one hundred naira ...click LIKE IF YOU AGREE and SHARE IF DISAGREE

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by Firefire(m): 11:13am On Feb 18, 2017
seankay:
I just tire for this country. So are they trying to tell us that we won't see the gain of accenting to pay 147 naira as against 87?

No new refinery
No repair or upgrade o existing ones
Economy keeps nosediving

Absolutely, we need re-colonization.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by tete7000(m): 11:13am On Feb 18, 2017
When did the word 'sibsidy' enter Buhari's dictionary? I thought he and his party said there is no word like that. Awon olodo, desperate power grabber, ready to dispense with reality just to get power. Fuel must return to N40/litre o. That's what we were promised without subsidy and they must not come and tell us they spent billions or trillions on subsidy o. When the other party said that they labelled them thieves.

3 Likes

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by sakalisis(m): 11:13am On Feb 18, 2017
Hmm
Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by Enemyofpeace: 11:14am On Feb 18, 2017
seankay:
Ghana should come and colonize us jare

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by greatgod2012(f): 11:17am On Feb 18, 2017
Firefire:

Absolutely, we need re-colonization.

100% supported!

We were not yet mature for independence when we got it, we need re-colonization.
Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 18, 2017
dey should regulate illegal refinery
Re: Petrol Subsidy Back, FG In Dilemma How To Keep Paying Difference by daniska3yaro(m): 11:17am On Feb 18, 2017
dragonking3:
If they pay subsidy then they should take the price back to N86. Simple angry angry
This govt is just full of lies,only beneficials are enjoying the govt,everything is from normal has gone back 500% price high,even adam smith and karl marx cant explain the economy situation.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Just In: Abayomi Ayeola Lagos Reps Member Is Dead / Ken Nnamani Declares Intention To Run For President Under APC / Days Of Oil Are Numbered If Not Over- Ekweremadu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.