Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

The Horse Riders - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Horse Riders (332 Views)

Strange Horse Caught On Camera Moving In The Sky. Do You Believe This? / Man And His Horse Wearing Lord's Chosen Apron (Photo) / The 1st Horse Of Revelation 6 Has Been Revealed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Horse Riders by christainslove: 2:02pm On Feb 18, 2017
The Horse riders
Fran went up wooden stairs to her brother, Francis room, the tapping sound of her own feet following her.
“Time for lunch” She said in her really low voice. She smiled at the sight of him, he had a delicate lean build with fair hair and blue eyes just like herself. His fair head was bent over a book and she could just caught the scent of soap from him.
“Okay”He nodded at her.
Downstairs, She carried the hot dish of yam porridge to the dining table with a cloth. Francis came in then, making for a plate in the kitchen.
“What smells so nice?” said her papa voice.
“Welcome home daddy”both children said smiling.
Turning, both siblings smiled at the sight of their father. Though he had their fair looks, his body was strong from working at the ranch .Both siblings had been born and raised here.
“We need to talk” said papa.
“What’s wrong?”
“I told you guys right, about Lucus coming to live here now my brother David and Sarah are dead, may God bless both their souls ”
Fran felt unease at this news. He was coming to share their home and Francis bedroom.
“Don’t make that face” Francis touched her check. “Don’t forget it is our Christian duty to welcome the stranger”
Fran willed her unease away. Though Lucas was their cousin he had always lived in another country so they had never met him before, only seen his photos. And now he was coming to live with them permanently.
They were in the middle of the meal when the doorbell rang.
“I get it, I get it” Their father left the table and made for the door. A chorus of voices sounded outside and he soon returned, a young boy by his side, carrying a small green suitcase..
Just like in his pictures, he looked to be their age, just above fourteen but he was dark with gray eyes in a round face and big body.
“Good to see you, Lucas” Francis went forward to shake his big hand.
They shook hands and Francis led him to the table to eat, Fran rising to greet him.
Lucus ate his meal quietly. He seemed like a decent boy.
The next month passed quietly. Lucus soon fitted in, at home and at school. Everyone seemed to like him.

Horses were everywhere. Fran shivered in fright at the sight of them.
“I want to ride, please” Lucus was saying to Fran amazement. She was terrified of horses. A white pony called Rose came near and she drew back from the wooden fence, taking in its dusky scent.
Lucas climbed on the pony and was soon riding like it was no big deal. He took to riding horses as a duck takes to water!
Four days later, Fran went to watch the boys ride again. Francis rode his horse Bella, a pretty dark pony . Fran watched as her gently stirred his horse on the field.
Lucas on the other hand was deftly leading his horse Rose on, without any fear.
They both were great, Lucas fearless and Francis gentle.
Later that evening, Father called them to his study.
“Your Grades, please’He checked on their school grades every week.
Francis opened the test score. An A. As usual
Fran opened hers. A C. She made it.
Lucus opened his and her father jaw dropped. He made an F
“Leave” was all he needed to tell the siblings before they were out the door. He was going to talk to Lucus alone.

Fran found Lucus in the stables in the morning.
“Hey” She called when she came near. The whole place smelt of the horses.
He looked oddly focused. Fran helped him as he gave each horse a rubbing down, cleaned every stall and changed their hay, straw and water.
“You like the horses a lot”
“Yea, I love them but Uncle says I can’t ride anymore unless my grades improve ”he looked downcast.
“You can improve your grades if you try and if you feel discouraged then say - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13
“EH”
“We can resist the devil with the word of God as Lord Jesus did”
“Matthew 4:3-4 -And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of GOD”.
“Thanks”

As the weeks passed, the three of them went riding in the fields every day. Both Lucus and Francis were good riders while Fran rode her horse shakily, terrified to even move.

One Saturday, Fran was lagging much behind them.
“Hurry up” Lucus shouted back at her and he moved quickly. Fran nervously tried to hurry Timothy, her sluggish gray horse along.
All of a sudden, Lucus came to a sudden stop near a pile of what smelled like horse shit.
“What?” Fran heard Francis ask when she reached him.
He pointed ahead, his eyes glowing
Fran edged closer to the small hill they were on.
"What's up". She called. Lucus pointed ahead. It was the Manwick building the famous horse company and just written in red and gold were the words " The Man wick Children riding competition for under eighteen holding on Saturday the 14’
‘It has a prize of a hundred gold coins and a position as a student teacher"
" Oh that" Fran could see that Lucus was deeply interested.
"It happens every year" Francis tensed up as the sound of trains passing. "I would have tried to enter this year but I have to prepare for the upcoming scholarship exams". The exams were important because it would give him a free ride until he finishes college and he was going to study a long course like medicine.
'I want to join' Lucus pleaded.
‘But you are such a new rider’ Fran coughed as the wind threw dust on her face.
'I can do it' He looked determined.

Later that evening, after Francis had helped him write his application to the horse writing completion and send it through the mail, Lucus wanted to go and practice again.
'You can't until had your dinner and done your homework' Father said.
Fran paused from the roast lamb she was tending to. She felt uneasy. Francis was working on his scholarship and Lucus was going to be a horse trainer, he was so good with both riding and tending to horses that she just knew. Yet she was only an average student and was a timid rider. What was she going to do about her future?. She felt the desire to pray as the lamb finished cooking, it delicious scent filling the house.
Soon, Lucus was practicing every day. Francis was busy with his studies while Fran spent most of her free time reading her bible and other Christian books.
Finally the 14th came. The three of them were ready to leave.

Father drove them to the Manwick ranch. Fran knew it belonged to the government but she wasn't prepared for the sight of it all as she had only ever seen it from afar.
The high front gates were opened today to let the competitors in and soon they were helped by a valet to park their car in a massive garage, no doubt used by the staff. The grounds were massive, like a whole estate of land and spread across the longer than anything she had ever seen wooden enclosure, were an outrageous number of horses, both small and big.
'Papers' said an officer in brown uniform. Once he had them checked he directed them to a far-off field that was to be used for the competition.
The field was spacious and surrounded by fitted seats perfect for the occasion. A lady in white was standing in front of a small audience.
‘Who is Lucus, please’ she was asking in a high pitched voice.
' Me, please' Lucus legs were shaking as they hurried in front of the seated audience to meet her.
‘I am his guardian ' Father said.
'My name is Jite, I am a host for the competition, please come along so I can introduce you to the other contestants ‘ She had to shout as lots more people were now entering to join the audience and the sound of their feet and their voices was now filling the place.
She led then away to a nearby hut on the side of the enclosure where some young boys were waiting and a girl was waiting.
'This is Lucus,he is a contestant from the Dunt farm’She introduced him politely then turned to the others. ‘these are the Steven brothers- she pointed to three boys who had identical black hair and hazel eyes - ' and this is Billy - She nodded at a fat, blue eyed boy and this is Jane- she pointed at a pretty Chinese girl who looked to be about her age.
' Just great, everybody been introduced'
She smiled and nodded to them.
'Goodluck,Lucus' Fran grunted as the three of them hugged him goodbye.

Two men in dark coats holding microphones stood in front of the audience.
'Welcome' the shorter of the two shouted. 'it is time for the Manwick children Horse riding competition, my name is Eden and I and my buddy Mike here will be your hosts for the evening'.
Everyone clapped loudly.
'Let's first dedicate the day to the Lord Jesus' he continued. 'Our Father in heaven thank you for this beautiful day,we are grateful for all the good things you have done in our lives,please let' s this competition be a success without any injury. Amen'
‘Amen’ shouted the crowd. Everyone looked excited.
‘And here we have our contestants' The taller one now spoke. 'First we have the 16 year old Steven brothers'
The crowd all clapped loudly. Fran could tell they were a sure favourite. What would happen to Lucus now?
' And we have the 15 year old Jane' Some in the crowd appalled eagerly and Fran heard someone say 'that's my girl'
'Next, we have Lucas' said the guy.Fran,Francis and their father clapped and clapped but hardly anyone else made a move as he went to stand with the other contestants.
' And, here we have Billy' The fat blue-eyed boy came out and few clapped. A few even booed him. Fran clapped as hard as she could.
'Now then, it is time for our competition to start' concluded the shorter announcer.

'Our first task will be the tending of the horses' said Mike the taller announcer.' Each participant will be given a horse to tend to'.
The lady in white clothing,Jite appeared leading six young men each holding onto a horse and a horse care box.They gave one each to every participant.
'Now get to work' said Eden.

The horse that Lucus was given immediately started shaking his feet.
'Are here we have a troubled horse' said Mike.
The horse moved away from Lucus and Lucus followed trying to pat him down.
Our of the corner of her eye,Fran watched Billy try to run a brush on his blue-black horse.The horse only moved backwards.He looked as nervous as Fran was around horses.
The girl, Jane started petting her horse,a white horse which seemed docile.Jane held up an apple to the horse and she ate it up.
The Steven brother held on to their horses tightly.They were brushing and petting them with such perfection that Fran could only mouth an O.
Suddenly, Billy’s horse took off running. Most of the crowd burst into laughing. Billy left off sadly.
Lucus held on to his horse, finally to Fran relief and started petting it down. Beside him, Jane was doing such a poor job of cleaning her horse that is was as if she had never cleaned a horse before. Many in the audience were already pointing derisively at her.

Half an hour later, Fran was smiling.Lucus had taken amazing care of his horse, cleaning the brown horse, patting it down and even got it to eat an apple and lie on some hay.
The other contestants weren't too good apart from the Stevenson brothers who were great with horses.

' And our winners are Lucus'
Fran gave a yelp.
'And the Steven brothers'
Most of the audience burst into applause. The Steven brothers had seemed flawless. And one of them had won the previous competition.

'And now we have our next task' Jite, the lady host took the microphone. ‘For us to select the one and true winner'
‘It is a race' said Mike from Jite’s side.
The audience burst into applause. Everyone seemed eager to see the four remaining contestants race.
'And the winner takes home the hundred gold coins'. Eden added on his own phone. The audience seemed to hold their breath. It was time.

The three Steven brothers with their identical black hair and hazel eyes each mounted a horse.Lucus mounted his and they stood in front of the long field the exact length of the audience rows.
'Ready,steady,go' called the three announcers together.
The four of them took off riding.Lucus was ahead,to Fran joy.
But it lasted but a moment.The three Stevenson brothers all over took him and were soon well ahead ed of him.
Lucus seemed disappointed and began slowing down.
'Don't give up,Lucus' Fran got up screaming. Francis and Papa also got up and shouted 'don't give up'
New spirit seemed to enter Lucus and he moved his horse forward fast. He moved his horse with such zeal that he caught up with the Steven brothers.
'You can do it,Lucus' Fran kept shouting. The crowd, picking up from them also began to shout 'you can do it,Lucus'
They were near in the finish line. Determined,Lucus edged his horse forward and his horse took the ropes tied at the finish line.
' And the winner is Lucus,he takes the gold' someone shouted.
Everyone got to their feet, clapping wildly. Lucus was given the winner cup while the Steven brothers stood aside, eyes filling with bitter disappointment.

The rest of the day passed in a jiffy.Lucus was congratulated and made a fuss over by lots of people.
Finally, Father drove them home.
'So you get a job at the Man wick foundation as well' Francis said matter of factly.' helping young riders'
'Yea,for five gold coins a month'Lucus still looked elated by his win.
'I am so happy for you ‘Fran said

The next day, after school,Lucus stopped walking at the rail track.
'Bye for now, then,i need to get going to my new job'
'Great' said Francis and Fran cheerfully.
' Where do you think you are going?' said a voice.
They seemed to have appeared out of nowhere, the Stevens brothers. Fran shivered and grabbed Francis hand.
' As if we let you do that' said one of the brothers.
' We have never lost the Manwick competition before' muttered another, face boiling.
‘You will pay for it' said the third advancing.
They pounced on Lucus and each blew him hard on his tommy,face and back.
'Stop'cried Fran.Francis tried to drag them off.But he was too weak and one of the brothers easily pushed him off.
Lucus was beaten blue and black within a few minutes. Francis was also injured and clutching his arm.

An hour later Fran sat in between two beds in the hospital. On one lay her brother who arm had been stitched and Lucus lay on the other, one leg and arm in a string and a badly bruised body. He looked shell-shocked.
' I can't believe they did this' said Lucus.
' I can't believe they did this either' said Fran.
She opened the bible by her side and read from Matthew 6:14
For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
' We should forgive them' she said.
Both boys nodded in agreement.
Day passed slowly from then on as Lucus needed a lot of recuperation. Father was displeased with what happened and made him resign his part time job.

Two weeks later,Lucus was deemed fully recovered by the doctor.
' Finally, let go riding again' he said. He had seemed really bored staying indoors with little to do. And Francis had travelled for his scholarship exam.
They mounted their horses and rode out.Lucus rode quickly,happy to be back on a horse again.
'Wait a little' Fran said as usual from behind.
They were moving fast through the fields when they suddenly saw smoke ahead.
' Isn't that the Stevens ranch? Fran asked. She had gotten to know of it after the beating incident.
'Yea,you go get help,i go in and try to save the horses'
'But....'
' Please'
She backed off and rode southwards fast, heading for the police station as she had left her phone at home.
Lucus went into the stables quickly. It seemed no one was at home. The horses were all figeting. He quickly opened the doors one after the other letting the horses out.
The fire was filling the place and heat filled his face. Once he let the last horse out, he ran quickly outside, the flame now near.Outside,he watched the fire consume the stable. What could have caused it?he wondered.

Ten minutes later,Fran returned along with the police and firemen to find the fire still raging.
' Lucus' She screamed. ' Where is Lucus'
' I am here' He called. She ran to him, relieved.He was standing next to the Stevens brothers, their parents and a host of horses.
' You did it' she laughed as she hugged him.' you saved the horses'
The Steven brothers looked shame- faced.
'Thank you'they said over and over.
'Let go home'lucus said guiding her back to her horse as the fire men put out the fire.

'Well done,Francis'the three of them said together in their cosy home, cups of warm tea in front of them.
Francis only blushed.
' You did it' said Fran. 'Now you have a scholarship for medicine school' Though Francis was only fifteen he was going to study medicine at Harvard.
What about you,Fran,what do you wish to become?' Francis asked.
Fran felt boldness fill her. 'I am going to become a missionary'
'It seems your little adventure has changed you'said her father.
' I am going to own a horse ranch one day'. said Lucus firmly.
And I am going to marry Jite,the lady host at the competition' All the teenagers gaped at him.
'it's true' said a voice.It was Jite the lady host coming in the front door which must have been left open on purpose.
'Welcome' Father greeted her standing up and leading her to the vacant chair on the table and filling a cup with tea for her.
'Delicious' she said after thanking God and
taking a slip. She beamed at them.
'Cheers, then to all our futures'. Father raised his cup and everyone followed.
' Cheers' Everyone hit their cups together. 'Thank God'

(1) (Reply)

God Marches Us On- And We MUST Keep Up, Or Be Discarded! / Conform To Reform / Homily Recipe For The 2nd Sunday Of Lent, Yr A 2017: Listen To Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.