Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Man Marries His Mother To Appease The Ancestors - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Man Marries His Mother To Appease The Ancestors (625 Views)

[photos] Young Man Marries His Cex Doll In Lagos, Nigeria / Our Ancestors Playing With A Gigantic Snake / Thin Tall Tony Should Appease The God Of Friendship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Marries His Mother To Appease The Ancestors by Ameboor: 5:28pm On Feb 18, 2017
In a sleepy village known as Slovo Park near Siyabuswa, villagers were torn with joy and surprise as they witnessed a rather strange wedding where, a mother and son exchanged wedding vows.
The son, a traditional healer from Siyabuswa in Mpumalanga, said he married his biological mother in a wedding ceremony to appease his ancestors. He now calls his mother “my wife”.
On Sunday more than 2000 people turned up to witness the wedding of Buti Mphethi , 28, to his mother Francinah Makunyane, 62.
Mphethi said that his forefathers had instructed him to pay lobola to his mother’s family before he could marry his wife, who stays separately from her own husband, Buti’s father.
Mphethi paid the lobola of two cows to his mother with a street value of R14 000.
The wedding was arranged and took place at his mother’s home in the same village on Saturday and finished at his home at the weekend.
Mphethi dropped out of his second year studies in sound engineering at the Tshwane University of Technology in 2003 to become a sangoma.
He felt it was a calling from his ancestors.
Mphethi said he had been married before, but it did not work out. His wife left him four years ago.
Mphethi said that his father William Mphethi was still alive, and had four wives. The father stays with the elder wife in Burgersfort, Limpopo.
He was confident that marrying his own mother had been in line with his culture.
Speaking to The New Age, the beaming bride, Makunyane, said she never imagined having a ‘white wedding’ because she was a grown up.
“I am now old enough and getting married was never in my mind. My son really did a good thing to marry me before he can marry his wife.
“This process is part of our culture. I am now a married woman because he represented his father,” she said, before bursting into tears of joy

http://www.ameboor.com/2017/02/man-marries-his-mother-to-appease.html

Re: Man Marries His Mother To Appease The Ancestors by uminem02(m): 5:44pm On Feb 18, 2017
lemme guess...this happened in kenya

1 Like

Re: Man Marries His Mother To Appease The Ancestors by adadike281(f): 5:45pm On Feb 18, 2017
both son , mother and culture needs deliverance.
Re: Man Marries His Mother To Appease The Ancestors by Ameboor: 5:46pm On Feb 18, 2017
Zambia
uminem02:
lemme guess...this happened in kenya
Re: Man Marries His Mother To Appease The Ancestors by Ayeesharh(f): 5:49pm On Feb 18, 2017
End time wedding
Re: Man Marries His Mother To Appease The Ancestors by ShobayoEmma(m): 6:01pm On Feb 18, 2017
well before the usual bashing on nairaland, we should also put into consideration that what some tribes do in the name of culture here in the country is worse off. However, the marriage is against sanity.
Re: Man Marries His Mother To Appease The Ancestors by DivinelyBlessed: 6:59pm On Feb 18, 2017
Only in Africa
Re: Man Marries His Mother To Appease The Ancestors by jose556(m): 2:12am On Feb 19, 2017
What a drag

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Nigerian Army Lieutenant Killed In Boko Haram Attack / Look What My Friend Found Inside Legend Extra Stout (PIC) / America And North Korea: Historic Pictures Reveal The Devastation Caused By The

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.