Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,946 members, 7,835,141 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue (25863 Views)

NCC Asks Telecoms To Give Subscribers Extra 14 Days To Use Up Their Data Sub / Telecoms Beg NCC To Block Whatsapp, Skype, IMO And Other OTT Services / Glo Launches Cheaper Calls To 30 Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by wristbangle: 8:19am On Feb 20, 2017
By doing this they expect customers to pay more in order to meet their financial obligation where other countries are thinking out of the box to drive revenue in telecommunication sector and provide free Internet services for their citizens. I wasn't surprise when Nigeria tops the list of the most corrupt country on earth according to the latest statistics.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Nobody: 8:25am On Feb 20, 2017
Fuqman:
There's nothing to benefit as a citizen of this country. I think another name for Nigeria equates to "hardship"..
Exactly
Was discussing this just yesterday. You cant name one thing, one service, one privilege you enjoy as a citizen.
Is it roads, water, healthcare,? Even the security they talk of.you are likely to be killed by those tasked with protecting you and U need to see what they deduct from my wages as tax.
Then someone will come and tell me not to leave this shithole for good?

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by ncoolsome(m): 8:25am On Feb 20, 2017
stev120:
enough, is a enough, must we all perish because of Apc..
thunder fire devil, from 50naira stamp duty to cutting off internet calls..
this govt. is creating more poverty by milking the masses dry..

Apc unah father.

so telcoms are now owned by the government abi?children of nowadays..
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Nobody: 8:31am On Feb 20, 2017
How are they gonna do that, bunch of incompetent fools!
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by jesicajonna(m): 8:35am On Feb 20, 2017
don't even try it..or else nay Ogun go kill Una...chtwww yeye government
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by nerovito(m): 8:42am On Feb 20, 2017
Jaabioro:
Ask them if their data is free. More over it is going to be GSM only.. I can still make my OTT call via other internet providers ,smile and Co...

Them go soon hear am now, spectranet don start unlimited data plan

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Lexusgs430: 8:44am On Feb 20, 2017
Truth234:
As the economic crisis continued to weigh on businesses, telecommunication firms are planning to adopt drastic measures to boost revenue.

Telecoms companies in the country are planning to curb losses from international calls and meet a revenue target of N20 trillion by blocking subscribers from using Skype and other internet call services, called Over-the-Top, the Punch reported on Sunday.

According to the report, subscribers might also be prevented from voice and video calls on Facebook and Whatsapp, among other OTT services.

A manager at one of the major telecommunication companies in the country, who preferred not to be named said, “It is an aggressive approach to stop further revenue loss to OTT players on international calls, having already lost about N100tn between 2012 and 2017.”

The manager added that “If we fail to be pro-active by taking cogent steps now, then there are indications that we may lose between N20tn and N30tn, or so, by the end of 2018.”

This further support Ovum report, a United Kingdom-based research and analytics company that about $386 billion would be lost over a period of six years, between 2012 and 2018, from Nigerian customers using the OTT voice applications.

“Generally, the main fear of the telecoms operators here will be that customers will increasingly use Skype as a substitute for conventional international calls,” said Mattew Reed, the Principal Analyst at Informa Telecoms and Media.

Whereas telecoms operators in the country have said international calls made up the bulk of their revenue due to Nigeria’s large diaspora population, but that the Nigerian Communications Commission is not doing enough to regulate the sector and keep them in business.

However, the Director, Public Affairs, NCC, Mr. Tony Ojobo, said, “We don’t have any evidence that we do not regulate the Internet.”

http://investorsking.com/telecoms-to-block-skype-whatsapp-calls-to-boost-revenue/

Kolewerk
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Jaabioro(m): 8:48am On Feb 20, 2017
nerovito:

Them go soon hear am now, spectranet don start unlimited data plan
May be I should get their Wi-Fi gadgets.. Thanks for info
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Omoluabi16(m): 8:51am On Feb 20, 2017
wizzyrich:
Is it not money we use to purchase data to make these calls or na free ? These people are funny.
my thoughts. They miss those theirs fraudulent charges they make on calls.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by VajanahDischaj(f): 8:51am On Feb 20, 2017
the fo0lish govt we have in power! we need educated persons on seat abeg!
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by badman007(m): 8:52am On Feb 20, 2017
Is this progress or what? We seem to be taking one step forwards and 10 steps backwards..
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by daroz(m): 8:54am On Feb 20, 2017
Why is that everything in Nigeria is always different? Is Nigeria the only country in the world or is Nigeria the only country whose citizens make free calls through social media sites?
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by aolawale025: 8:56am On Feb 20, 2017
When would Govt stand up for the people? How can a telecom dictate to consumers how to use their data? Why can't the telecom review call rates to make it competitive?
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Thedruggist: 9:04am On Feb 20, 2017
These guys are too greedy, Must they take everything. Na wa oo
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by vertueptime: 9:11am On Feb 20, 2017
How can u loose what is not yours
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Olubee22(f): 9:15am On Feb 20, 2017
Are they mad ni undecided. As if we don't buy data to make the calls ,they shouldn't try nonsense o.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by all4ualone: 9:17am On Feb 20, 2017
there was a country... we are waiting for 2019
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Yteflon(m): 9:17am On Feb 20, 2017
are these people foolish??
They should look other ways to make money or just park home. i believe their counterparts in other countries earn enough money without doing any of this.

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Abudu2000(m): 9:20am On Feb 20, 2017
So this is how they tend to control information flow!?? By blocking the most innovative and important part of communication technology, smh

To those who thought abacha was worse, welcome to the most tyrannic government of all time

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by hermosa7: 9:23am On Feb 20, 2017
realhumanity:
This is sheer wickedness. It is going to affect me personally because I make a lot of international calls and internet calls have been favorable. These guys just want to block every easy and simple route at which we save money in this recession. I cannot make a call of 10 minutes because these guys charge N2/seconds for calls.

We should fight them by not making international calls at all. We should revert back to emails.

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Maximus85(m): 9:24am On Feb 20, 2017
Useless telecos, we'd love to see you try this nonsense.
Aren't we buying data? And are the calls made through this apps free? Don't you charge us?

Fools. They want to boost their revenue by making life hard for us. Wen money no dey to even buy data not to talk of airtime, I go see Wetin go happen. Greedy basthards.

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by kingPhidel(m): 9:26am On Feb 20, 2017
Afonja people @work.. Kontinue...
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by ephi123(f): 9:41am On Feb 20, 2017
What exactly is NCC doing?
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by EbolaParasite: 9:44am On Feb 20, 2017
DuBLINGreenb:
How da Bleep we gone do Skype interviews for admission abroad
I always knew these fucktards never had our interest at heart

If they do block, it will only be for phone operators. You would still be able to use skype via ISP's
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by nizetee: 9:46am On Feb 20, 2017
Fuqman:
There's nothing to benefit as a citizen of this country. I think another name for Nigeria equates to "hardship"..

The whites call blacks nigger. Nigger is derived from niggard. Niggard is somebody regarded as miserly. Niger area (Nigeria) nija needs to make an affidavit of change of name. Useless country.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 20, 2017
ode people, they should av just said they dont want us to use the internet again since they want to make money. nonsense, all the money they have been making since year 2000 never do dem ba? they wana be rich like bill gates, kolewerk!!!
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by stev120(m): 10:05am On Feb 20, 2017
ncoolsome:

so telcoms are now owned by the government abi?children of nowadays..
shet up if u dn't knw what to say
read the article again the govt. gave them *tax* target that they can't meet up with, and thats why they plan to do so..
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by potent5(m): 10:07am On Feb 20, 2017
We will not allow it! We shall not take it!
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by dckng16(m): 10:25am On Feb 20, 2017
wizzyrich:
Is it not money we use to purchase data to make these calls or na free ? These people are funny.
This is d one of reasons Nigeria is backward
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by stagger: 10:29am On Feb 20, 2017
Why is everyone panicking?

Such action is not backed up by any law in Nigeria. By the time 1,000 Nigerians institute lawsuits of N100m each against the Telcos, they will be begging for mercy.

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by blackHAZE: 10:40am On Feb 20, 2017
Just how MTN started charging 2 naira per share and sale on transfer less than 100 naira and 4 naira above 100 naira and nobody is complaining.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by porozhniy(m): 10:40am On Feb 20, 2017
I am not interested in online protests without any action anymore.
How do we hit them where it hurts most?
Reduced subscriptions? reduced calls?
Any ideas!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Phone Being Charged For Long & Left Unattended Explodes, Captured On CCTV / Glo! Glo! Call Me Back. / How To Play PSP Games On Your Android Device

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.