Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,803 members, 7,820,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One (21691 Views)

Brake Failure Accident Is Dreadful!!! Top Secret To Avoid It "Exposed" / This Device Can Save You From Brake Failure. / Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Brake Pads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by AutoReportNG2: 5:46pm On Feb 20, 2017
The Federal Road Safety Commission has shared some important tips for car owners. Use the following tips anytime your brake malfunctions.

Remain calm- a brake malfunction is quite scary. However, the only way you can make it safely is by staying calm. Once you can remain calm, you can take the following actions.

* Downshift immediately

* Use the emergency brake.

* Move into the right lane quickly.

*Stay off the gas pedal.

*Check for anything that may be blocking the brake pedal, thus preventing it from working.

* Pump your brakes, if you have an older car, and firmly press the brake pedal, if you have a new model.

* Alert others by horning.

* If you can not avoid hitting something, make sure it is soft.

* Get help immediately your car stops.

If your brake ever fails, always remember to stay calm and avoid freaking out.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/02/break-failure-these-are-what-to-do-when.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by AutoReportNG2: 5:47pm On Feb 20, 2017
Has anyone experienced a brake failure before? Do you mind telling us your experience and how you scale through?

Read more here...

http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/02/break-failure-these-are-what-to-do-when.html

3 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by ITbomb(m): 6:04pm On Feb 20, 2017
Check your title, it is Brake not Break.

Apart from that, I have nothing to add

4 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by AutoReportNG2: 6:06pm On Feb 20, 2017
ITbomb:
Check your title, it is Brake not Break.

Apart from that, I have nothing to add

Thanks... Adjusted

Lets hear your story
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Nobody: 6:42am On Feb 21, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
Has anyone experienced a brake failure before? Do you mind telling us your experience and how you scale through?

Lalasticlala
jst shout Eje jesu dat all

17 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by mclaaro(f): 6:43am On Feb 21, 2017
My second day of driving all alone. On getting to maryland immediately after the traffic light I realize my brake is not sensitive,i was scared n I needed it that moment a danfo was turning ahead of me and the lane he is turnin to was blocked God so good he was able to turn befr I got to that particular junction,all effort was made to stop the car i but couldn't was confused don't kno wat to do,i kept goin without d gas pedal I got to oba akran traffic light God so good the brake responded I was in d traafic light wen a marwa driver came down frm is marwa to tel me smoke was comin out around my back tire,i wanted to off d engine n rush out askin him wat can I do, he said madam be calm is ur handbrake, release it sadI drove all d way frm surulere with my handbrake uptight, I did that n wen we left the traffic light I realise my brake pad was still soft n not responding but after movin abit more it became hard n responding, that was how I made it home. If I had knew abt dashboard light would v seen d warnin light n release the brake,ever after I check d dashboard lights at intervals. Na so God save me oo,

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Psalmuel92(m): 6:45am On Feb 21, 2017
WfBabakhay:
Naxo
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by prettyzee11(f): 6:45am On Feb 21, 2017
When a brake fails, it takes God grace to be calm.

3 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by michaelwilli(m): 6:46am On Feb 21, 2017
WfBabakhay:
Typical nigerian somebodi. Like dose yoruba mamas da will b shoutin if bus enta small gallop. Lol

4 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by finestiyke(m): 6:46am On Feb 21, 2017
Yes I have oh

Back then

With my BMX bicycle

7 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Nobody: 6:47am On Feb 21, 2017
Psalmuel92:
Naxo
lol good moring 2u
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by kajsa08: 6:47am On Feb 21, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
The Federal Road Safety Commission has shared some important tips for car owners. Use the following tips anytime your brake malfunctions.

Remain calm- a brake malfunction is quite scary. However, the only way you can make it safely is by staying calm. Once you can remain calm, you can take the following actions.

* Downshift immediately

* Use the emergency brake.

* Move into the right lane quickly.

*Stay off the gas pedal.

*Check for anything that may be blocking the brake pedal, thus preventing it from working.

* Pump your brakes, if you have an older car, and firmly press the brake pedal, if you have a new model.

* Alert others by horning.

* If you can not avoid hitting something, make sure it is soft.

* Get help immediately your car stops.

If your brake ever fails, always remember to stay calm and avoid freaking out.

Source:

Lalasticlala
Seun
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
the last point
* shout BLOOD OF JESUS! cool

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by LEOSIRSIR(m): 6:49am On Feb 21, 2017
i think negligence sometimes compound to the issue of brake failures, there will be a time the brake will be giving signs but most drivers wont take notice, it takes courage and a frequent and smart drivers to know how to put a vehicle to halt when there is a brake failure.

imagine you are doing 100 in 80 and the brake give way, the panic of the heart alone can cause more harm than correcting it.
AutoReportNG2:

Lalasticlala

5 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by whizbee(m): 6:50am On Feb 21, 2017
Nice write up, next time I'm driving, it'll be in my head
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Nobody: 6:50am On Feb 21, 2017
michaelwilli:
Typical nigerian somebodi. Like dose yoruba mamas da will b shoutin if bus enta small gallop. Lol
Na so
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by miketayo(m): 6:52am On Feb 21, 2017
Y not just off the engine??

2 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by LEOSIRSIR(m): 6:54am On Feb 21, 2017
it was a Peugeot 505 wagon very rugged, the brake sometimes you have to pump it twice before the brake can catch, was driving my family to church and the brake give way it went flat, started pumping till i hit a car parked on the road after slowly applying the hand brake, if i didnt use the hand brake the damages will be severe.
AutoReportNG2:

Lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Sunmolar(m): 6:57am On Feb 21, 2017
AutoReportNG2:

Lalasticlala
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Chigorkizz(m): 6:58am On Feb 21, 2017
Nice tips
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Sunmolar(m): 6:59am On Feb 21, 2017
AutoReportNG2:

Lalasticlala

After my car brake failed, been for first time I had a little panic. Then I swerved to the shoulder of the road. Suddenly, different thoughts came. I felt like opening the door and jumping out, but because the car is moving fast down the hill from Zuma rock Madalla, I couldn't but started shouting Jesus, blood of Jesus, I shall not have an accident, i shall not die. Then a thought said I should look up ahead on the hill to Zuba and behold no car is entering from junction or coming behind me. I climbed the hill and it slowly stopped. It was an automatic transmission car. Thanks to God.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by lonelydora: 7:04am On Feb 21, 2017
If automatic, downshift to D1 or 1. Do not shift to neutral.

3 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Mckandre(m): 7:05am On Feb 21, 2017
miketayo:
Y not just off the engine??
I've always thought abt this when I was little though twill seem like a beffiting choice but its not dont ever try it. Cars of nowadays comes with what is called power steering that helps to ease control of a vehicle,ones the engine goes numb that is if u remove the key from the ignition, the steering lockups entirely that is it becomes unbearablly stiff making maneuvering very difficult which will rather cause u harm than good.

4 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by asumo12: 7:12am On Feb 21, 2017
lonelydora:
If automatic, downshift to D1 or 1. Do not shift to neutral.

Why
Not
Neutral?

2 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by drkay(m): 7:20am On Feb 21, 2017
nice one
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by waltinnovers: 7:21am On Feb 21, 2017
Yes, I think the first thing to do is to be calm. That is why you have to be matured in mind before going high way so that you can be able to take or think fast when any situation accour. I was able to remember that apart from the leg pedal brake, there is hand brake but I also remember that I cannot draw it the way we do when we want to park. So I press that release button that is needed to press before the hand brake will drop. So as I press it, I was lift it up gradually and the speed of th car started coming down, infact with that, I have to manage the car to where I worked on the brake.
One more thing, it can give u sign or it may not because mine didn't give me sign because when we were checking the cause of the brake failure, we discovered that the hydrolic hose was somehow touching the tyre and it gave it a cut and the whole hydrolic dropped through the cut. Since this idea helped me on the highway, it can still help another person.

AutoReportNG2:

Lalasticlala

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by mecussey(m): 7:25am On Feb 21, 2017
Brake is a small thing compaired to when dual engine fail in an ascending air craft...you have just 10 seconds to do sth otherwise, you are on free fall ...and the downfall force F = mgh. If you cannot be calm when your car brake fails, i wonder what you will do in the case of air craft

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by MayowaAleem(m): 7:33am On Feb 21, 2017
over speeding when brake fails most time cuse accident not the brake failure itself...
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by ibroh22(m): 7:38am On Feb 21, 2017
mecussey:
Brake is a small thing compaired to when dual engine fail in an ascending air craft...you have just 10 seconds to do sth otherwise, you are on free fall ...and the downfall force F = mgh. If you cannot be calm when your car brake fails, i wonder what you will do in the case of air craft
oga shift,you shall want us to know that you are a pilot,we are talking about car and not air craft,can you compare the number of people driving car in Nigeria to Nigerian pilots mtcheeww

8 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by mecussey(m): 7:45am On Feb 21, 2017
ibroh22:

oga shift,you shall want us to know that you are a pilot,we are talking about car and not air craft,can you compare the number of people driving car in Nigeria to Nigerian pilots mtcheeww

Bro...i never enter cockpit before oooo since my life na only for film i dey see am. It is only natural for you to think the same way of cars and aircraft if you are a science student. Sometimes, when I fly, i ask my self if this engine fail now, waitin we go do....likewise, when i am driving high speed, i ask the same question about brake....

3 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Senipapa(m): 7:45am On Feb 21, 2017
mecussey:
Have you ever experienced break failure close to a busy Junction moving at a speed no less than 80Km/h where you definitely have less than 10 seconds to do something, let me no how you will be calm.

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by ruggedtimi(m): 7:47am On Feb 21, 2017
It happened to me recently...my heart came out.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Engine Goes Off When The Brake Is Applied In Motion. / Small Nyash... The Rebuild/restoration / How To Determine The Age Of A Car Tire (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.