Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,114 members, 7,957,160 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:19 AM

Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs (13036 Views)

How To Change Your Car’s Spark Plugs / "Tokunbo" Or New Spark Plugs: Which Is Better? / How To Read Your Spark Plugs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by EACBLAZE: 9:08am On Feb 23, 2017
OP thanks for the info, all these listed are exactly happening to me at the moment, to the point I went to change my fuel pump, yet am still experiencing it.
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by Adeemi2(f): 9:12am On Feb 23, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
Spark plugs are an integral part of your vehicle's motor as they provide the much-needed spark that ignites the air and fuel mixture within the cylinders. This continuous ignition is what keeps your car moving on the road.

If spark plugs are not checked with regular services, cleaned or changed when necessary, they can cause problems to occur with the vehicle's engine. Below are six signs for when to change your spark plugs.

When to change spark plugs:

1. Engine has a rough idle

Your engine idles when it is a stationary, and in this position, the engine usually produces around 1000rpm. The sound the engine gives off is constant and smooth, but if your spark plugs aren’t performing as they should, your engine will produce a rough and jittery sound while producing larger vibrations through the car. Not having this checked can lead to costly damage being done.

2. Having trouble starting your car?

Many people put their car not starting down to being out of fuel or having a flat battery. One possibility you may overlook is having bad or worn spark plugs. If your spark plugs don’t produce the spark needed to get the vehicle moving, then you’re going nowhere. It is also possible that faulty spark plugs are causing your battery to drain. If so you need to have your battery and spark plugs changed as soon as possible.

3. Your engine misfires

When your engine misfires it causes the vehicle to halt for a fraction of a second and then continues it’s usual movement. This means the vehicle isn’t functioning as smoothly as it should because one or more cylinders aren’t firing properly, which can also lead to higher amounts of emissions.

4. Engine surging

When a vehicle sucks in more air than usual in the combustion process it can cause the vehicle to jerk and then slow down or continually start and stop, which means the vehicles engine is working inefficiently. This is also known as engine hesitation and dangerous situation can arise if this occurs in traffic.

5. High fuel consumption

If your spark plugs have deteriorated you’ll notice that your vehicle's fuel economy can decrease by up to 30% due to incomplete combustion. If you notice you’re having to fill up more often than usual it can be caused by deteriorating spark plugs. To get back to your vehicle’s optimum level of fuel consumption all you’ll need to do is have your spark plugs changed.

6. Lack of acceleration

If your vehicle is accelerating poorly it is fairly easy to tell. It feels as if the vehicle doesn’t want to respond when you put your foot down, or it does but not instantly as you’ve become accustomed to. It can also feel as if your vehicle is trying really hard to pull itself along. This ‘sluggishness’ can be easily fixed by having the vehicle serviced with a spark plug change.

Do you know any other signs of when to change spark plugs? Let us know in the comments below!

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/02/signs-to-watch-out-for-when-its-time-to.html
This is the best post of the week for me. I have been having issues with my car acceleration for some time now. With this knowledge, I will just go to the mechanic workshop and act like a professional " Oga mecho, can you please check my spark plugs for me." Thanks Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by greggng: 9:34am On Feb 23, 2017
Eazeee:
i do experience difficult acceleration & even jacking d moment i want to accelerate after slowing down with my 2000 camry. could dat b d pluggs too?

I ve exactly that type of ur car with same problem. My mechanic scanned it and with the codes he got he he changed the 02 sensors, heat sensor, cleaned the spark plugs, serviced the injector the car is just perfect after all this services were done. I can recommend my mechanic to u if you are in lagos and ready to visit ayobo. He doesn't touch ur car engine without scanning it
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by Eazeee(m): 9:54am On Feb 23, 2017
unfortunately am not in lagos but abuja. mayb i will ask my mech to try all dat u did to see if dia will b improvement
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by Eazeee(m): 9:57am On Feb 23, 2017
greggng:

I ve exactly that type of ur car with same problem. My mechanic scanned it and with the codes he got he he changed the 02 sensors, heat sensor, cleaned the spark plugs, serviced the injector the car is just perfect after all this services were done. I can recommend my mechanic to u if you are in lagos and ready to visit ayobo. He doesn't touch ur car engine without scanning it

am not in lagos but abuja. may b i will just try what y did n see if dia wil b improvement
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by greggng: 10:08am On Feb 23, 2017
Eazeee:

am not in lagos but abuja. may b i will just try what y did n see if dia wil b improvement

It will definitely be perfect. Don't just change anything except scanning dictated. The o2 sensor must be properly tested with a digital meter to ensure you bought the a good one. He tested the old one after the scanner dictated it was faulty thereafter he went to ladipo market with his meter to buy a good replacemment
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by ayokenny37(m): 10:08am On Feb 23, 2017
oil filter change and engine coolant

SonofHim:
Please beside oil change and replacement of plugs what are other components of a comprehensive engine servicing?
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by secpowell: 10:10am On Feb 23, 2017
How much does he charge to scan a engine and where is the location in Ayobo.
greggng:

Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by Emblj: 10:28am On Feb 23, 2017
Eazeee:
i do experience difficult acceleration & even jacking d moment i want to accelerate after slowing down with my 2000 camry. could dat b d pluggs too?

1. Your plugs could be bad.
2. Check for plug cable disconnection from the coil or ignition.
3. Are your battery terminals firmly attached ? Intermittent failure of battery head could be a suspect too.

1 Like

Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by SonofHim: 10:50am On Feb 23, 2017
ayokenny37:
oil filter change and engine coolant

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by AutoReportNG2: 11:20am On Feb 23, 2017
SonofHim:
Thank you so much AutoReportNG2. That's my car you just described and I was getting worried about it.

Awwww... Thats awesome, Glad we can be of help to you Sir.
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by NOETHNICITY(m): 11:32am On Feb 23, 2017
pls any recommendation of a particular brand of plug? If there is, which and what's the cost, pls?
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by Pyroclast(m): 11:36am On Feb 23, 2017
Rayd502:
My check engine light blinks sometimes during acceleration,which causes the car to drag.
The car also experiences a rough idle although not all the all time.
With these outlines you gave I m very positive my plugs requires change.Thanks alot for the insight.
You have a misfire on one or more cylinder. Have it scanned to determine which cylinder(s). A misfire is not limited to bad spark plugs alone.

2 Likes

Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by greggng: 4:13pm On Feb 23, 2017
secpowell:
How much does he charge to scan a engine and where is the location in Ayobo.

He is my mechanic and he doesn't charge me separately for scanning. Before I knew him I ve once visited a mechanic that collected 5k for scanning alone and he nearly finished my car. If you know ayobo wella then ask for onuora bustop from their trace ayobo mechanic village. At that mechanic village ask anyone about good season auto mechanic. You will see his sign post or sign board to lead u in. His name is bayo. Tell him elder recommended u. Come and give testimony here
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by bizzibodi(m): 1:10am On Feb 24, 2017
mykelmeezy:
good morning folks

I hereby claim this ftc in the name of

ah Fvck it

hope y'all have a good day

This shit will not work with 9jerian police they will arrest u 4 making a phone call & bring up false witness.
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by Okebarn: 2:13pm On Feb 24, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
Spark plugs are an integral part of your vehicle's motor as they provide the much-needed spark that ignites the air and fuel mixture within the cylinders. This continuous ignition is what keeps your car moving on the road.

If spark plugs are not checked with regular services, cleaned or changed when necessary, they can cause problems to occur with the vehicle's engine. Below are six signs for when to change your spark plugs.

When to change spark plugs:

1. Engine has a rough idle

Your engine idles when it is a stationary, and in this position, the engine usually produces around 1000rpm. The sound the engine gives off is constant and smooth, but if your spark plugs aren’t performing as they should, your engine will produce a rough and jittery sound while producing larger vibrations through the car. Not having this checked can lead to costly damage being done.

2. Having trouble starting your car?

Many people put their car not starting down to being out of fuel or having a flat battery. One possibility you may overlook is having bad or worn spark plugs. If your spark plugs don’t produce the spark needed to get the vehicle moving, then you’re going nowhere. It is also possible that faulty spark plugs are causing your battery to drain. If so you need to have your battery and spark plugs changed as soon as possible.

3. Your engine misfires

When your engine misfires it causes the vehicle to halt for a fraction of a second and then continues it’s usual movement. This means the vehicle isn’t functioning as smoothly as it should because one or more cylinders aren’t firing properly, which can also lead to higher amounts of emissions.

4. Engine surging

When a vehicle sucks in more air than usual in the combustion process it can cause the vehicle to jerk and then slow down or continually start and stop, which means the vehicles engine is working inefficiently. This is also known as engine hesitation and dangerous situation can arise if this occurs in traffic.

5. High fuel consumption

If your spark plugs have deteriorated you’ll notice that your vehicle's fuel economy can decrease by up to 30% due to incomplete combustion. If you notice you’re having to fill up more often than usual it can be caused by deteriorating spark plugs. To get back to your vehicle’s optimum level of fuel consumption all you’ll need to do is have your spark plugs changed.

6. Lack of acceleration

If your vehicle is accelerating poorly it is fairly easy to tell. It feels as if the vehicle doesn’t want to respond when you put your foot down, or it does but not instantly as you’ve become accustomed to. It can also feel as if your vehicle is trying really hard to pull itself along. This ‘sluggishness’ can be easily fixed by having the vehicle serviced with a spark plug change.

Do you know any other signs of when to change spark plugs? Let us know in the comments below!

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/02/signs-to-watch-out-for-when-its-time-to.html

Wow
My car experiences 3 & 5
It can be frustrating when you keep taking it o the mechanic.
Re: Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs by DavidIfesieh(m): 4:19pm On Feb 24, 2017
Note, you should check spark plug wires also when ever they must be replaced. The wire can become cracked and heat from motor can damage wires. And corrosion at connection is possible. Check these things well.

(1) (2) (Reply)

These Are The Different Types Of Fuel Injectors You Need To Know / Naija MDXers Community: For The Owners, Techs, DIYers, Or Fans Of The X / Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.