Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Progressive African Cultures - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Progressive African Cultures (1091 Views)

Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures / What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? / The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Progressive African Cultures by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 22, 2017
I was talking to my uncle and in part of our discussion, we discussed what marriage use to be back in the day. It's quiet fascinating and very interesting to know that some cultures in Africa were progressive and kind of similar to modern day western liberal/progressive values and ideas.
I think, for a long time, we've only seen the bad aspects to the cultures in Africa.

so, for my tribe and before the foreign religions
* Women divorcing their husbands wasn't a big deal. was perfectly normal. Whenever a woman is tired of the marriage (with ofcourse concrete reasons), she can ask for a divorce. the family members of both sides reach an agreement on custody of the kids, if any. Also, there was no stigma associated with been a divorced woman, hence, remarrying isn't a problem.

* Women do not adopt their husband's name after marriage. They still maintain their father's name. That way, it's easier to trace family lineage.

* Men could marry women older than them.

What is it about your culture, even if it's no longer in practice, that you're proud of and that seems liberal and progressive?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Progressive African Cultures by Nobody: 2:22pm On Feb 22, 2017
lalasticlala smiley

naptu2

raudemeter

shymexx sirshymex

sukkot

ishilove

odumchi

Abagworo

bigfrancis21

and every other culture lander, educate me na. angry
Re: Progressive African Cultures by 419forlife: 6:47pm On Feb 22, 2017
Foreign ideologies has fiddle with much.

Take for instance some muslim may have 4 wife no matter the man live in tent next ride camel for work

It is at male discretion in islam whether to not take four wife no matter if he is penniless sounds misogynistic

Take for instance kano state would those saudis limit a wife the same

We can be progressive if we use a few african sense.
Re: Progressive African Cultures by Nobody: 9:41am On Feb 23, 2017
419forlife:
Foreign ideologies has fiddle with much.

Take for instance some muslim may have 4 wife no matter the man live in tent next ride camel for work

It is at male discretion in islam whether to not take four wife no matter if he is penniless sounds misogynistic

Take for instance kano state would those saudis limit a wife the same

We can be progressive if we use a few african sense.
ok.
So, what is it about your culture, even if it's no longer in practice, that you're proud of and that seems liberal and progressive?
Re: Progressive African Cultures by PrinceAbinibi: 12:11pm On Feb 23, 2017
A few things from the Yoruba

Women were not as marginalise as the western women, there was no meeting at the King's council without iyalode being present. Women also married a lot of husbands, women shuffled between men like you won't believe with no stigma. Women also held position of power in religion apart from witches of course (Mojuba eyin iyami osholo shala oshala shalo ti won we ninu omi shalo shalo). Women generally had more power and say in the affairs of the community.
There was an army in Diahomey that was composed of just women- gallant women: they conquered far and wide. female army long before the white even conceived of the idea of allowing women to fight.
If you study history you will realise that Africans are not as backward as they claim we were. Study your history and you will be proud of those who came before you.

2 Likes

Re: Progressive African Cultures by Nobody: 2:30pm On Feb 23, 2017
thank you princeabinibi. I had always known of the iyalode.

This thread will serve a purpose, I believe. if others can contribute as well.
Re: Progressive African Cultures by 419forlife: 12:20am On Feb 24, 2017
Joavid:

ok.
So, what is it about your culture, even if it's no longer in practice, that you're proud of and that seems liberal and progressive?

Yes my culture has been polluted now beyond recognition also I don't do culture talks in depth so much for the open I will agree with prince abinibi so now I will just shed some small bit of light for the old progressives.

The old culture women were not only treat fair but you see they were worship in such a way that a foul act against them may be an abomination to society. Reason why is because in the old culture a women will be consider closer to 'god' and god like. Next virginity was not prerequisite for marriage as sex also was for some important 'industrial' purpose. Next in the old culture we had free energy as government provide it free for society this is why the old culture survive for much a good time. So then we had rules such as any man defend nation we make them upper class. Soldier were upper class in the old culture same as doctor today depending on some warriorship a soldier may become wealthy and a Royal.Today this is why much african can fight so well on impulse. Next gold was utilize in such a way medically that no matter what trouble the people had face the gold would defeat harshest disease. After that relations between religion and science were used in such a way that made them compatible as one so cohesively these unlocked many mystery from a plain sight.

The only progressive we keep now is beer which is good for headache.

1 Like

Re: Progressive African Cultures by Nobody: 10:17am On Apr 02, 2017
PrinceAbinibi:
A few things from the Yoruba

Women were not as marginalise as the western women, there was no meeting at the King's council without iyalode being present. Women also married a lot of husbands, women shuffled between men like you won't believe with no stigma. Women also held position of power in religion apart from witches of course (Mojuba eyin iyami osholo shala oshala shalo ti won we ninu omi shalo shalo). Women generally had more :opower and say in the affairs of the community.
There was an army in Diahomey that was composed of just women- gallant women: they conquered far and wide. female army long before the white even conceived of the idea of allowing women to fight.
If you study history you will realise that Africans are not as backward as they claim we were. Study your history and you will be proud of those who came before you.

Wow really shocked. Had no idea

(1) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin Wows Guests At A Children's Party With His Shaku Shaku Dance Step. / Asina Ririse/ Eyonu / Vent Your Anger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.