Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,307 members, 7,836,333 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Obey Your Parents Or Follow Your Passion? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Obey Your Parents Or Follow Your Passion? (579 Views)

Who Is To Be Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths:parents Or Teachers? / Vices Among Children, Who Are To Blame? The Parents Or The Children / Are U A Student.?do U Want To Avoid Relying On Your Parents.?chect THIS OUT!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obey Your Parents Or Follow Your Passion? by Umartins1(m): 10:48am On Feb 24, 2017
Many of us, our real problem is our parents. They are the limiting constraints on our potentials. Even before obtaining my degree, my mum already calls me 'prof', sealing my fate as an academician. No one asked what I really want to become.
My friend, Bida would have replaced Dagrin if only his parents allowed him to hit the street earlier. You can't suddenly run away from an African home to pursue your dreams without parents drawing you with charms to return. All they care about is for you to go to Unilag, Covenant, UNN..., and dress corporate on Monday mornings with briefcase dangling in your hand. To them, an educated child is the glorious child.
And on contrary is the problem child. The one that prefers street to class. The Michael Jackson that chooses not to be a professor, the Muhammad Ali that chooses not to be Banki Moon, the Cristiano Ronaldo that broke a chair on his teacher's head and ran off from class to the footballing street. He is constantly cursed by the mother in particular. To African parents, he is the child causing their blood pressure to rise. He is the child that won't make it far like his siblings. He is the child that will join bad gang, smoke hemp and turn a cultist. He is the bastard child.
Our parents are the reason for our failure and persistent struggles. Their generation was the one that failed this country and still failing it. None of my generation has ruled Nigeria. If we forgive them for giving birth to us in an awkward society that limits potentials, we can't forgive them for holding our intellectual factory to ransome. The few that ran from them and succeed did it under great pretence. Massive respect to Olamide, Phyno, Ighalo, Opa six..., that defied all odds to rule the street. At a point in their street struggles, I am sure they were cursed by their African mothers. But now, they are welcomed with warming embrace because they have made it. That's what the African parents care about. Produce result. If you produce result, you will be glorified than the educated chap. You can also do it.
Find your potentials, every man is born with one. If you are good at scamming people, go ahead. Pastors scam on daily basis. If you can programme and code, please drop out from that Uniben, Zuckerberg did and today owns facebook. If you can sing, why remain in the lab carrying out unnecessary diagnosis? Had Falz followed his father's wish, he would have been an unproductive lawyer.
But our problem is poverty. An unfortunate situation we never bargained for. We are afraid of the unknown. We are terrified of the aftermath of going against our parents' wishes. My brothers and sisters, will you rather obey your parents and remain unhappy or you are ready to risk everything and break the chain of poverty? Destiny is never written, it is the product of one's handwork.
cc: seun, lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Obey Your Parents Or Follow Your Passion? by ekrizz(m): 10:56am On Feb 24, 2017
Space booked!
Re: Obey Your Parents Or Follow Your Passion? by farouk0403(m): 11:16am On Feb 24, 2017
Not all parents draw the line of career or profession for their children.
Butt most African parent does, how I wish we will start leaving an American or European life in Nigeria, immeadiately if a child turns 18 he can live on his own, we cannot achieve anything in our comfort zone.
Re: Obey Your Parents Or Follow Your Passion? by Umartins1(m): 10:25am On Feb 25, 2017
ekrizz:
Space booked!
this is not Tonto Dikeh or top ten this, top ten that oooo.
Re: Obey Your Parents Or Follow Your Passion? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 25, 2017
My passion is "Independence". And for the most part, being in control of my cash flow seals this independence. I'm out on my own now, chasing only stuff that makes me happy.

That's the only life I dream of.

(1) (Reply)

... / Another Nigerian Gets Accepted Into 8 Ivy League School / JAMB 2017: Important Information To Take Note Of- Edificationinfo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.