Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,167 members, 7,821,957 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

10 Classic Word Puzzles To Challenge Your Verbal Brain - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Classic Word Puzzles To Challenge Your Verbal Brain (663 Views)

Challenge Your Brain With This Pic / You Will Probably Get A Job At Google If You Can Solve This Puzzles / 25 Extraordinary Math Principles To Challenge Your Brain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Classic Word Puzzles To Challenge Your Verbal Brain by coolbreezy01: 10:08pm On Feb 25, 2017
The variety of word puzzles, many datingback to antiquity, is truly mind-boggling—riddles, anagrams, acrostics, and so on and so forth. Puzzles based on language are truly universal, revealing how the “verbal imagination” works. As a species, we have been dubbed Homo sapiens—the sapient species. But we are as muchHomo ludens(the game-player), as cultural theorist Johan Huizinga characterized our species in 1938. Indeed, Huizinga’s argument is that game-playing is a basic characteristic of sapience and essential to human civilization.
It is hard to argue against such a theory, given the invention of so many genres of puzzles throughout human history. Word puzzles in particular have constituted a vast repertoire of mental game-playing activities since the Riddle of the Sphinx—possibly the first documented language puzzle.
In this post, I present 10 “Change-A-Letter” word puzzles, a genre that has been presented under different names at different times in other puzzle collections. In my view, these challenges bring out a fascinating aspect of the verbal brain—its need to connect form and meaning. While this topic is an ancient philosophical one, it is my view that a simple puzzle genre can reveal as much, if not more, than a sophisticated theoretical disquisition.
Let’s do a model puzzle together: Change one letter in a five-letter word that means “frighten” to get a word that means “gaze” or “gape.” (Note that you are not provided the initial word.) The solution? Change the C in SCARE (“frighten”) to T to get STARE (“gaze” or “gape”). That’s all there is to it.
As in previous posts, you might come up with different answers to the ones I have provided. These types of puzzles tend to be open-ended rather than closed, in contrast, for example, to a Sudoku puzzle that has only one solution. I would loveto hear from you if you come up with different answers.

Try it out let's see who is smart here.

Have fun!

1. Change one letter in a four-letter word that refers to a “small round mark or stain” to get a colloquial word for “saliva.”

2. Change one letter in a five-letter word that means “to move something from one place to another” to get a word that refers to a delicious dish cooked in “an Indian-style spicy sauce.”

3. Change one letter in a six-letter word meaning “excessive self-adulation” to get a word that means “sound mental health.”

4. Change one letter in a five-letter word referring to a “hand tool” to get a word meaning “oddly amusing.”

5. Change one letter in a five-letter word meaning “supporting structure” to get a word meaning “blaze.”

6. Change one letter in a seven-letter word referring to an “adult male domestic fowl” to get a word meaning “supporter.”

7. Change one letter in a five-letter word meaning “commence” to get a word meaning “bright, clever.”

8. Change one letter in a four-letter word referring to a color to get a word referring to a musical genre.

9. Change one letter in a four-letter word meaning “succor” to get a word meaning “cry sharply.”

10. Change one letter in a five-letter word meaning “chubby” to get a word meaning “feather.”

Olawalebabs
Richiez
Fynestboi
Lalasticlala
Seun

Source:https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brain-workout/201702/10-classic-word-puzzles-challenge-your-verbal-brain?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C8916969151

Re: 10 Classic Word Puzzles To Challenge Your Verbal Brain by Nobody: 10:21pm On Feb 25, 2017
1).spot -spit

2).carry -curry

3).vanity - sanity
4). troll - droll
6). rooster -booster

8. pink -punk
10)plump-plume
Re: 10 Classic Word Puzzles To Challenge Your Verbal Brain by Nobody: 10:38pm On Feb 25, 2017
7. Start and smart
9. Help and yelp
You don't know how happy I am that I at least got one grin

(1) (Reply)

2017 UTME & Direct Entry Registration Begins On March, 2017 / Valid Id To Seat For Gre At Jkk Center, Ikorodu / 11 Secrets Only Successful People Know.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.