Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,529 members, 7,816,291 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Nokia 3310 Hands-on: It’s Hard Not To Like This Modern Take On The Feature Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia 3310 Hands-on: It’s Hard Not To Like This Modern Take On The Feature Phone (573 Views)

Meet New Nokia 3310 With 3G Network That Cost Around N30,000 / NTEL Nova; A Feature Phone With 4g/volte - Discussion Thread / Body Design; One Creative Feature Phone Makers Can't Overlook. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nokia 3310 Hands-on: It’s Hard Not To Like This Modern Take On The Feature Phone by Mikeshiangala(m): 1:51am On Feb 27, 2017

The new 3310 is no longer a “brick.” It’s a lot rounder than the old one—it feels like a well-worn river rock. I actually would have liked if it was a little squarer and more reminiscent of the original.
Given that it has a really light plastic body (79g) and a plastic screen, it can probably stand up to lots of abuse (though no one would let me test this at the event ).
Like everything about the Nokia 3310, the screen is tiny. It has a 240×320, 2.4-inch color display with a polarized layer, which should make it easier to see in the sunlight. The tiny screen paired with a dead-simple OS leads to tons of battery life.

Nokia is promising a month of standby time out of the 1200mAh removable battery, along with 22 hours talk time, which is 10 times more than the original 3310.
The MicroUSB port is curiously on the top of the device, while a headphone jack sits on the bottom. On the back is a whopping 2MP camera with an LED flash.
The back pops off, revealing a removable battery and a spot for a MicroSD card (32GB max). The device comes in four colors with two finishes, a matte black or light gray, and a glossy red, or yellow.

There’s no touchscreen. You get the traditional feature phone controls: a 5-way D-Pad just below the screen, with left and right action buttons that correspond to labels on the screen.
The OS is Series 30+, an operating system originally made by Mediatek for Microsoft’s Nokia.

Unlike the other Nokia/HMD feature phones, which are loaded with Microsoft products like Skype and Bing, I didn’t spot any Microsoft influence here. S30+ means you aren’t exactly going to get a ton of apps.
There was a “Games & Apps” store, but given that the devices had no Internet access, I couldn’t see what was in there.
Speaking of games, it comes pre-loaded with a fancy new version of Snake that was whipped up by Gameloft! It’s in color now.

There were also a few other Gameloft games, like Asphalt 6. Web browsing is handled by Opera, but I can’t imagine you’ll want to do much web browsing on the 2.4-inch screen.
As fun as the new 3310 is; does anyone want to spend money on a feature phone? The long battery life, high nostalgia factor ($52) price might earn it a few niche customers in the US, but most of the 3310 units seem headed for the developing world, where HMD already has a line of feature phones.

Read our Full Review on: Huawei P10 & P10 Plus: hands-on impressions of this sleek, dual-camera flagship

(1) (Reply)

GM6 A New Android One Phone / Airtel Subscription Code For Android / Banking Script By Abubakar Lawal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.