Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,411 members, 7,954,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:12 AM

25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack (15432 Views)

Dino Melaye Injured, Rushed To Hospital After Jumping Off A Police Vehicle / 23 INEC Officials Arrested During Rivers Rerun Appear In Court In Abuja(pics) / "INEC Officials Caught In Opobo Writing Results For APC"- UnitedRiversReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by ijustdey: 2:51pm On Feb 27, 2017
[img]https://1.bp..com/-effYHn4X56o/WEwte6CRt8I/AAAAAAACvgQ/6rpg7e0y1T8ZrDfkvJ7QTdyLRa8-2gRsgCLcB/s1600/ballot-box2%2Binec.jpg[/img]

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday said more than 25 of its staff members were receiving medical attention as a result of attacks suffered during Saturday’s supplementary election in Etche local government area of Rivers state.

In an interview with NAN in Port Harcourt, the state capital, Aniedi Ikoiwak, resident electoral commissioner (REC) blamed the attacks on the people of Rivers.

He said one of the victims just regained consciousness on Sunday.

“This is one area that Nigerians should ask questions: over 25 INEC staff members are in hospital today because the people of Rivers state decided to either kill or wound them,” he said.

“They were all beaten up because they went to those villages to conduct an election.

“Let the people of Rivers state tell us the offence any of them committed. What did they do? They were bringing materials for the election; they decided to descend on them, beat them up, collect their personal belongings and run away.”

Ikoiwak noted that the victims were on official duty and needed a peaceful environment to achieve success.
He called on Nigerians to condemn the alleged attack.

“It is very sad. None of them was beaten up in his home but where they went to conduct an election,” he said.

“Why shouldn’t Nigerians discuss that? Why should people sent to conduct an election be beaten up and their belongings taken away from them?”

But Nyesom Wike, governor of the state, has described the election as one of the most peaceful in the history of the state.

Speaking at a church service in Port Harcourt, Wike commended security operatives for the role they played in the exercise.

“For the first time, I want to commend the security operatives in the state. If they have been doing this way, we wouldn’t have been having problems in this state,” he said.

“This is the first election I have seen in my life, since this government came, that you don’t see too much involvement of security operatives and that is why nobody has died, that’s why the election went on peacefully.

“I told the opposition party, because security is not interfering, that’s why you can’t get one seat. If they were carrying [electoral] materials as they used to do before, they would have allocated some seats.

“So, I want to commend them.”
About 700 staff members of INEC were mobilised for the supplementary legislative election in Etche.

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) had withdrawn from assisting INEC in the election due to security issues.

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) emerged victorious in the exercise.

https://www.thecable.ng/25-inec-officials-hospital-rivers-rerun-attack
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by madridguy(m): 2:52pm On Feb 27, 2017
Wish them speedy recovery.

4 Likes

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by midehi2(f): 2:52pm On Feb 27, 2017
hian!
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by Nobody: 2:53pm On Feb 27, 2017
Wetin we no go hear for this country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by StRichard(m): 2:57pm On Feb 27, 2017
Rivers of blood

5 Likes

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by chiedu7: 5:24pm On Feb 27, 2017
APC no happy

14 Likes

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by maberry(m): 5:24pm On Feb 27, 2017
This wouldn't have happened if APC had listened to the voice of reasoning and left rivers state alone

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by rectitude(m): 5:24pm On Feb 27, 2017
Na wa o
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by edlion57(m): 5:24pm On Feb 27, 2017
Personal opinion...all dis rerun no der help matters
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by Proffdada: 5:25pm On Feb 27, 2017
Two words :wicked wike angry

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by MrGreenMavro: 5:26pm On Feb 27, 2017
angry angry
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by me69: 5:26pm On Feb 27, 2017
Village people can't conduct an election without violence Uncivilized people

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by wisesoul(m): 5:26pm On Feb 27, 2017
Those guyz try na, Hadn't been they killed them by now dem go dey face heavenly tribunal. A sensible Nigerian won't participate in any election come up in Rivers state base on what happened at the last rerun election but the love of money go send many to early grave.

2 Likes

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by BicxBrother: 5:26pm On Feb 27, 2017
Everyday them they do election for Rivers. Why kind state be that?!

4 Likes

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by AfonjaGuy: 5:27pm On Feb 27, 2017
Dis My Country Nigeria ehhh Kaiiii Bloody Elections since Apc Buhari govt enter aso rock grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by officialJP(m): 5:27pm On Feb 27, 2017
river dey do election you dey show face i pity ur life
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by godunia(m): 5:27pm On Feb 27, 2017
When will good news come out of Rivers? Na wao
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by DollarAngel(m): 5:27pm On Feb 27, 2017
We need to bring back JEGA
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 27, 2017
the home of violent politics......rivers state
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by jennifer22(f): 5:27pm On Feb 27, 2017
Seen
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by bitcoininvesto(m): 5:29pm On Feb 27, 2017
Pinshure or Adonbilvit grin

Naija and political drama...
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by smallbigboy(m): 5:30pm On Feb 27, 2017
NAIJA DON TIRE ME SEF
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by ddippset(m): 5:33pm On Feb 27, 2017
I hope that noisy rivers PDP spokesman Samuel Wanosike is still in detention. I saw him sitting humbly on the ground yesterday. He likes to think of himself as the toughest man in Nigeria.
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by goshen26: 5:35pm On Feb 27, 2017
The only thing that gladdens my heart is nysc withdrew corps member
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by Chinagurum1995(m): 5:35pm On Feb 27, 2017
Well after the attack and rerun in Rivers state Nigeria well the election will be coming soon. smiley

2 Likes

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by chrisxxx(m): 5:36pm On Feb 27, 2017
I feared Nigeria Police when they swept under the carpet the murders of some of their own to investigate Wike's phone call. Those who murdered those officers were responsible for this.

3 Likes

Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 27, 2017
When Wicked Wike cannot be trusted, when he says the election us peaceful he meant the opposite
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by goslowgoslow(m): 5:41pm On Feb 27, 2017
maberry:
This wouldn't have happened if APC had listened to the voice of reasoning and left rivers state alone
So APC doesn't have the right to contest for elections in Rivers State?
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by mayweather145: 5:42pm On Feb 27, 2017
hie! dis re-run don too much , and na blood dey, dey take end am I know say dey no fit ever do successful election for river sta
te kbam.
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by soderican(m): 5:42pm On Feb 27, 2017
Wicked wike
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by blackboy(m): 5:44pm On Feb 27, 2017
Those beaten what happened to their security? Does not add up. You send them out without security? No fair and not right.
Re: 25 INEC Officials In Hospital After Rivers Rerun Attack by oel12(f): 5:47pm On Feb 27, 2017
Rivers election and violence na 5 and 6

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ohanaeze Ndigbo To Capture Data Of All Igbo / Primate Ayodele To Igbo: Forget 2023 Presidency / Presidency: Kalu Said He Will Consider Contesting If APC Zones Ticket To SE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.