Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,488 members, 7,958,485 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:25 PM

Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use (909 Views)

Browse Internet For Free Wit 1,000,000mb And Free Txt Msg 360,000 / Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive / MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use by Okeamu1(m): 6:59pm On Jan 18, 2007
Guys

how much would it cost to buy a PC set in nigeria for home only with internet connection:

I need a breakdown:

Thank You!
Re: Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use by naijafan(m): 7:23am On Jan 19, 2007
a nice-ass toshiba laptop (dual core)
N165k - laptop
N35k - starcomms EvDO card (bandwith really crazy in ikeja and victoria island, upto 100kBps if you knw what i mean)
N20k - Monthly 24hr subscription
Re: Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use by naijacutee(f): 9:53am On Jan 19, 2007
Sorry but how does the Starcomms thing work? Do you need one of those phones that search for service like mobile phones? What's an Evdo card? Is that a wireless card? If so, how much does a wired connection cost? Do you need a Nitel line in your area for that?
Re: Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use by Okeamu1(m): 3:07am On Jan 20, 2007
That is way too much, $160 for one nigerian per month to have full internet Acess. I guess there isn't too much competition yet or the people are investing way too much in the hosting process.

Question for naijafan, is this connection LAN or Dial up? do you have any idea?
Re: Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use by naijafan(m): 8:51pm On Jan 23, 2007
@oke amu and naijacutee

it's wireless broadband. and its dial-up, just like 'em hspda, umts, etc. you can read more on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evdo
there are definitely other cheaper alternatives, but this connection is more like hooking up to a VSAT and having it all to yourself, if you knw what i mean - stupidly fast. been using it since november 2006 and i have no regrets.
Re: Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use by Okeamu1(m): 9:15pm On Jan 23, 2007
wow, radio wireless. that may be weaker, I like LAN
Re: Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use by naijafan(m): 10:32am On Jan 26, 2007
wtf do you meanby lan shocked? u want a direct cable from ur house to the isp?! lmao. well sha, na you sabi. i've been using this and i think i can say its the best solution here in nigeria.

ps. did you read that wikipedia article before jumpin into conclusions?
Re: Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use by Seun(m): 4:42pm On Jan 26, 2007
Is this EVDO thingie available towards the border between Lagos and Ogun State?
Re: Buying And Installing Computer With Internet For Personal Use by naijafan(m): 8:52pm On Jan 26, 2007
it works in agege and iju ishaga, i'm replyin to this right nw in iju, altho its not under their coverage area so speed drops seriously. upto like 20kBps transfer rate on the downlink. i'm not sure if it works in ota cos i've not tired it there. you can check out their main coverage areas on their site altho i'm sure of victoria island, lekki, ikeja, surulere (i mean in those areas, speed is awesome)

(1) (Reply)

Needing Help To Access My Hard Drive / Do I Pay N35,000.00 For 2 Months Lecture In Visual Basic. Net / Help! My Laptop Screen Is Drawing Lines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.