Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,189 members, 7,867,453 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 04:23 PM

How Six Lawmakers Dumped PDP For APC In Lagos Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Six Lawmakers Dumped PDP For APC In Lagos Assembly (461 Views)

2019: Why I Dumped PDP For LP – Mimiko / Adeyeye: Why I Dumped PDP For APC / Why I Dumped PDP For APC – Sullivan Chime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Six Lawmakers Dumped PDP For APC In Lagos Assembly by treasure2: 11:04am On Mar 01, 2017
How six lawmakers dumped PDP for APC in Lagos Assembly

For the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Lagos State, it is not the best of times. The defection of six out of eight of its lawmakers in the state House of Assembly to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), has depleted its representative rank in the chamber, WALE ELEGBEDE reports

For ardent followers of Lagos politics, the second fiddle role of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is not a new story. In fact, some political analysts opine that the bane of the party’s poor outings at the polls can be tied to its many shades of internal wrangling as against any external influence. Since the advent of the Fourth Republic, Lagos State has been elusive to the PDP despite being in charge at the federal level for 16 straight years.

The party’s futile attempt to take a shot at the Alausa Lagos House seat, has largely been adduced to internal strife and battle of ego within its ranks. Since 1999, the battle for the soul of Lagos politics has always pitched the PDP and the metamorphosing progressives’ party against each other.

Although the battle appears to be a festering one, each election year, the progressives, under the leadership of a former governor of the state, Senator Bola Tinubu, have always laughed last. Interestingly, despite the flashes of skirmishes that trailed the party’s performance at the 2015 election, the party put up a spirited performance and recorded its best performance since 1999.

The credential of the party soared especially in both the national and state assembly elections. For the first time in its history, the party won five House of Representatives and eight state Assembly seats. Given the feat achieved with the legislative seats, many analysts believed that the party would consolidate on its gains and build a virile network around its lawmakers to enhance its chances in the next round of electioneering period in the state.

But that was not meant to be because after months of covert and overt speculations, the lid finally got removed few weeks ago on the defection of six out of eight lawmakers that got their seats in the Lagos State House of Assembly on the platform of the PDP.

The six lawmakers, who dumped the umbrella party include Minority leader, Akeem Bello (Amuwo Odofin II); Minority Whip, Mosunmola Sangodara (Surulere II); Olusola Sokunle (Oshodi/Isolo I); Jude Idimogu (Oshodi/ Isolo II); Dayo Famakinwa (Ajeromi Ifelodun II) and Oluwa Fatai (Ajeromi/Ifelodun I).

Read more at http://newtelegraphonline.com/politics/a-defection-too-many/

Re: How Six Lawmakers Dumped PDP For APC In Lagos Assembly by edoboy33(m): 11:08am On Mar 01, 2017
I wonder while inec has not cancelled this useless party and jail it corrupt leaders useless pdp
Re: How Six Lawmakers Dumped PDP For APC In Lagos Assembly by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 11:18am On Mar 01, 2017
edoboy33:
I wonder while inec has not cancelled this useless party and jail it corrupt leaders useless pdp
cool

(1) (Reply)

Nobody Above 50 Years Will Be Governor In 2019 – Okorocha / Nairaland To Send Member To Visit Buhari In London. / Don't Appoint Politicians As Judges: Group Tells Njc, Agf, Sss, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.