Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck (29481 Views)

ALUTA GYRATION: Comrade Fijay Releases Volume 3 Of Comrade Song �(download) / “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? / Nnadi Nnedimkpa Susan Graduates With 4.93 CGPA From Covenant University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Emperoo: 12:57pm On Mar 01, 2017
Comrade Nnadi Goodluck adviced Nigerians on the poor usage of "am" and "i" in a sentence.

Below were his words as shared on his facebook page,
"Yesterday, I read the greatest shock of my life on an American website.

An American woman was describing the signs needed inorder to detect a Nigerian who has a hidden identity, I was going through the signs till I came to one that really stunned and consternated me.

She revealed that most Nigerians are illitrates who don't know how to make a simple correct sentence.

She was probably talking 'bout the poor usage of "am" and "i" in a sentence. Eg "am going to come soon" and "i arrived yesterday".

The reason that I'm sharing this to the whole Nigerians is because, this mistake has really gone viral and people of other countries have noticed this flaw that is only associated with Nigerians.

I am so much unhappy because, even celebrities and prominent Nigerian citizens that are supposed to correct this impression are also starting a sentence with "am" instead of "I'm" or "I am", while others are starting a sentence with "i", instead of "I".

Some languages are expediently subject-drop languages, but English is considered a subject-obligatory language. Thus, making the poor usage of the above words, non standard.

I would have said that the poor usage was created by a Nigerian, but Nigerians don't create English words nor how it will be used.

Comrade Nnadi Goodluck is trying to address this issue that has really been going on for so long and hoping to put an end to it with this message.

So, Nigerians, I urge you all to stop making this silly mistakes and always make the right and felicitous grammatical constituents. Thank you all.

Please, use the share button to share this message till every Nigerian get's to see it."[/color]

Nigerians, what is your take on this?

Source- http://www.facebook.com/100014089426009/posts/207516769727969

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Kondomatic(m): 12:59pm On Mar 01, 2017
And which Nigerian language can the American woman speak?
TexasR:

Soon as you tell me which Nigerian language is as internationally accepted and used like the English language.
Some things are just so simple to comprehend and flow with,but people like you must find a way to excuse the very glaringly inexcusable
China became what it's today because everyone speaks perfect English.

And please tell that little voice in your head that it lied when it told you that Americans speak and write grammatically correct English.They don't.

Get close to them and you will notice how careless they're with their spoken English even though it's their native language.

The idiot Op wants us to speak and write what will please them Huh?

You go there, you speak English to them.

They come here you still speak English to them.

Who them be sef?

201 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Emperoo: 1:03pm On Mar 01, 2017
Kondomatic:
Kondomatic:
Kondomatic:

Lmao!

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by ernesty20(m): 1:12pm On Mar 01, 2017
Yeah.. Nigerians are illiterate.. Come to London where i live, you will see them roaming the streets of london.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Emperoo: 1:16pm On Mar 01, 2017
ernesty20:
Yeah.. Nigerians are illiterate.. Come to London where i live, you will see them roaming the streets of london.

Haha, this damn serious!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by CoolFreeday(m): 1:18pm On Mar 01, 2017
Does spoken English makes one illiterate? So what about those that can speak Correct English but can't speak their language?

#Its all about communication, if you can hear and understand me, then its OK.

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Emperoo: 1:21pm On Mar 01, 2017
CoolFreeday:
Does spoken English makes one illiterate? So what about those that can speak Correct English but can't speak their language?

#Its all about communication, if you can hear and understand me, then its OK.

True talk joor!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Nbote(m): 1:35pm On Mar 01, 2017
Make dem gerrerahia, since dey see nothing wrong in British, Australian or New Zealand English, make dem leave Nigerian English.. So long as u understand what I mean, den we're gud..

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Emperoo: 1:39pm On Mar 01, 2017
Nbote:
Make dem gerrerahia, since dey see nothing wrong in British, Australian or New Zealand English, make dem leave Nigerian English.. So long as u understand what I mean, den we're gud..

Let the whites leave us alone!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Paul2434: 2:41pm On Mar 01, 2017
Naija people make we learn!
Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by amiibaby(f): 2:51pm On Mar 01, 2017
Thank you for this piece

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by DuBLINGreenb(m): 2:51pm On Mar 01, 2017
My only problem is that every hungry person is a comrade

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Grafixnuel(m): 2:51pm On Mar 01, 2017
Gift your friends a very nice cartoonized pictures on their bday.. Pm me now... Very affordable

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by DuBLINGreenb(m): 2:52pm On Mar 01, 2017
Am here comrade coman beat me

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by 247Dior(m): 2:54pm On Mar 01, 2017
Kondomatic:
how many Americans are hustling to come to Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by InvertedHammer: 2:54pm On Mar 01, 2017
/
I am more worried about Nnadi Goodluck than the faceless American woman. Nigerians write "am" while Americans write "ain't" and English folks say something that sounds like "innit". Big deal!

Nnadi needs to get a life.

\

28 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 01, 2017
Am coming back

i will comment later

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by ITbomb(m): 2:55pm On Mar 01, 2017
Also, it is you not yhu

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by cooljoe(m): 2:55pm On Mar 01, 2017
am cuming to smack some sense into ur skull. rubbish

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by LAFO: 2:56pm On Mar 01, 2017
What about Americans who can't speak or write correct English?

Communication is KEY

I was thinking he was going to give us examples that are more elaborate

The woman self no sabi anything pass English.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by cygnus05(m): 2:57pm On Mar 01, 2017
Abeggy jare , can the woman speak Yoruba or other Nigerian languages fluently...!
Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by helphelp: 2:57pm On Mar 01, 2017
We need to define illiteracy first, it really has nothing to do with the way or how anyone speaks a language.

It has to do more with an ability to READ, and not necessarily in ENGLISH.

Like a poster said, which of the Nigerian languages can the Americana read or speak.

Let's stop fooling ourselves. It's absolutely wrong to start a sentence with "am" but it shouldn't be used as a criteria to judge Nigerians as illiterates.

I'm open to critics though

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by searchng4love: 2:57pm On Mar 01, 2017
Igbos and the eternal inferiority complex syndrome.

Ayam going to comment later....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by YEMOYEMI: 2:58pm On Mar 01, 2017
Chicks

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by cygnus05(m): 2:59pm On Mar 01, 2017
247Dior:
how many Americans are hustling to come to Nigeria?
you can ask google bro!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by musulumi(m): 2:59pm On Mar 01, 2017
Am coming back to comment

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by pweeryambre: 3:00pm On Mar 01, 2017
what about Americans that speak ghetto

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by Kobicove(m): 3:00pm On Mar 01, 2017
I'm glad to know that someone else has also noticed this flaw undecided

The irony of the whole thing is that the vast majority of Nigerians are ignorant and insist on going the wrong way by starting a sentence with the word "Am"

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck by PetrePan(m): 3:00pm On Mar 01, 2017
i don't give a mess..who's gonna bash me for this?..'i'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Professor Matt Meyer In University Of Ilorin (UNILORIN) Delivering LECTURE (Pics / 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 / Nairalander Recreates High School Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.