Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,819 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Traditional Igbo Music - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Igbo Music (11126 Views)

'I Belong To Every Race' - Oluwo Of Iwo Says As He Rocks Traditional Igbo Attire / Traditional Igbo Circumcision And The 8th-day Lie,pt.1 / Igbo Music: Echefuna Asusu Igbo By Sajis Osakwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 8:52pm On Mar 01, 2017
In recent times many Igbos have erroneously subscribed to highlife as traditional music mostly because highlife musicians gained more urban acceptability than other forms of purely Igbo originated music. I opened this thread so that younger Igbo generation on Nairaland can appreciate Igbo music that is not Osadebe, Sunny Bobo, Oliver, Morroco, Flavour etc.

I will start with one of my favorites Theresa Onuorah and her Egedege which is a nickname to an ancient music of Unubi in Igbo heartland present day Anambra State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1fr2FRwTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqXh9PKmSm8
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by delishpot: 8:55pm On Mar 01, 2017
I love this woman's songs. They remind me of my late mother. She used to love songs like this. Wish she was here to enjoy this one

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 9:00pm On Mar 01, 2017
Yes Pericoma Okoye died recently but has been one of the men still dishing out traditional Igbo music. He is from Arondizuogu which is a community founded by Aros from Abia State and a combination of other Igbo clans found in present day Imo and Abia States. He is known for his incredible masquerades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkurnfl_yqo
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 9:04pm On Mar 01, 2017
delishpot:
I love this woman's songs. They remind me of my late mother. She used to love songs like this. Wish she was here to enjoy this one

Ijele elubego ma na mu n'onye ga agba egwu.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Klinee: 9:07pm On Mar 01, 2017
she say Anambra + Imo =1, Anambra Na IMO bu umunne is it true.? I like the woman's music
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 9:15pm On Mar 01, 2017
Klinee:
she say Anambra + Imo =1, Anambra Na IMO bu umunne is it true.? I like the woman's music

Of course Anambra and Imo are brothers and form the core of Igboland. The Northern part of Imo and Southern part of Anambra are settled in same pattern and exhibit similar character like Nnewi, Ihiala, Ozubulu, Orlu, Igboukwu, Amichi, Awo, Ezinifite, Ekwulobia, Akokwa, Nnobi, Uli, Uga, Nkwerre etc. and when you observe from google earth you will notice that belt is extremely built up for a rural area.
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 9:20pm On Mar 01, 2017
Show Promoter is a traditional Igbo musician from Igbo heartland in Imo State. This song "Azu Alala" is one of his well known. It tells of the suffering from the 1st fall in oil prices in early 1980s when meat, fish and chicken became unaffordable for Nigerians. In this case he made mention of Ogili which is one smelly thing used in making traditional soup in Igbo heartland area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZyu2nu9As
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by pazienza(m): 9:34pm On Mar 01, 2017
"Anambra na Imo bu umunne, anam ekene o! Udo dili unu dili anyi o"!

" Nwa mama na ife di nma n' ona adi anyi nma".

I love Theresa Onuorah songs. just listened to them
on Sunday.

Anambra na Imo in that context of her song doesn't mean Anambra and Imo state of today. It meant the entire SE.

It meant the entire SE, because in the Early 80's, the entire SE had just two states ie, Imo( present day Abia state, present Imo, and Afikpo/Ohaozara parts of Ebonyi) and Anambra( present Anambra, Enugu and Ezza/Ikwo/Izzi/Ngbo part of Ebonyi).

Anambra na Imo= The entire SE.

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Young03(m): 9:49pm On Mar 01, 2017
Chachachacha Enugwu state ekelem unu
rie nu, nuo nu
anyi new Ogene nwere udubonch
bia Abagworo dont forget pammy udubonch o

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by ezeagu(m): 11:24pm On Mar 01, 2017
This is folk music, not pop music. Pop = widely commercial and secular.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Doug07034780891(m): 5:33am On Mar 02, 2017
Tufiaaaass

Never you say that anywhere else. Anambra has nothing in common with Imo state. Please go and look for your brothers elsewhere. We have nothing in common with you nor your people.

[s]
Abagworo:

Of course Anambra and Imo are brothers and form the core of Igboland. The Northern part of Imo and Southern part of Anambra are settled in same pattern and exhibit similar character like Nnewi, Ihiala, Ozubulu, Orlu, Igboukwu, Amichi, Awo, Ezinifite, Ekwulobia, Akokwa, Nnobi, Uli, Uga, Nkwerre etc. and when you observe from google earth you will notice that belt is extremely built up for a rural area.

[/s]
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 7:13am On Mar 02, 2017
Doug07034780891:
Tufiaaaass

Never you say that anywhere else. Anambra has nothing in common with Imo state. Please go and look for your brothers elsewhere. We have nothing in common with you nor your people.

[s][/s]

Igala man mind your tribe and stop envying Igbos. You created dozens of monikers all for the purpose of dividing Igbos under pretense of being Anambra.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 8:27am On Mar 02, 2017
Young03:

rie nu, nuo nu

Pammy Udubonch is more of highlife not Ogene. Igno music has few recognizable instruments woth Ogene and Opi standing out. Udu gives the bass while Ekwe does the drumbeat.

Ogene Awka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Wun24tQDI
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Doug07034780891(m): 8:31am On Mar 02, 2017
Hopeless I.diot. stop attaching yourself to Anambra and its people. We have nothing in common with your useless Imo state and it's people. We are not the same people with you people because we don't even marry from your state as we consider it sacrilegious. Deal with the reality. Ezi ofia.

[s]
Abagworo:

Igala man mind your tribe and stop envying Igbos. You created dozens of monikers all for the purpose of dividing Igbos under pretense of being Anambra.
[/s]
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 8:33am On Mar 02, 2017
Professor Obewe reps Ohuhu in Abia State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjLUmIsBqk0

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 8:35am On Mar 02, 2017
Ohafia war dance music from Eastern or Crossriver Igbo area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVrZtT5q19A
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 8:39am On Mar 02, 2017

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 8:42am On Mar 02, 2017
Igba ndi Eze from Igbo heartland area covering Orlu-Nnewi-Awka area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrYK_tICZVg
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 6:14pm On Mar 02, 2017
Abagworo:

Only one person is quarreling with all igbo states, SMH.
Na Enugu people fit that guy. Anytime he tries crap on a thread that praises Enugu, it's either he is ignored or even Anambra/other igbos come against him.

Give him total negligence and he will fizzle out.

I believe Udu bonch is ogene too
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by pazienza(m): 8:07pm On Mar 02, 2017
I loved the early version of Chino under his numerous monikers such as "Schematics", he usually defended all parts of Igboland against the rabidly Igbophobic entities in NL. He was the type that took no prisoners, like a one man Army.

That Chino is long gone. What we now have is a self destructive agent that attacks all Igbo groups from
Imo to Abia to Enugu to Ebonyi, but has no time to reply Igbophobic posts directed at Igbos by our enemies.

Sometimes, I wonder if it's same person that started the Chino revolution that is still behind these new Chino monikers. It's so hard believing they are same person.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by agadez007(m): 8:11pm On Mar 02, 2017
Abagworo:

why do you join chino in dividing Igboland,everyday i keep seeing this your "core and uncore" IGBO nonsense,northern Anambra south Imo stuff

Abstain from that behavior

BTW Nnobi is not Southern Anambra

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by pazienza(m): 8:15pm On Mar 02, 2017
Young03:

rie nu, nuo nu

Udubonchi is dope.

As a man brought up and raised in Enugu South, I can't get enough of Udu bonchi!

My best Udubonchi track is that one they featured a certain Molokwu from Illah. That track in that album that the chorus is "Ah ohh" is my favourite.

"Ya abuna na obu eziokwu, n' udubonchi n'Obe ana"
"Ah oh o"

"Akwa ariri egbuo muo"
"Ah oh o"

"Onwu ike na odinu njo"

Use to have it on constant repeat those days!

Igbo music sweet die, maka chukwu!

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by pazienza(m): 8:16pm On Mar 02, 2017
agadez007:
why do you join chino in dividing Igboland,everyday i keep seeing this your "core and uncore" IGBO nonsense,northern Anambra south Imo stuff

True! Abagworo and betterAbia are not helping issues too.

It is not bad enough that the entire Nigerian groups are infested with a rabid case of Igbophobia, and we have to tame them on daily basis here. We now have to deal with self destructive agents aka "Agu unos" that had decided to attack their fellow Igbos, rather than seeing beyond their myopia the bigger picture that we all face a common enemy.

Me, I can only ignore them, but I'd be lying if I say that their actions here don't trouble me.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by agadez007(m): 8:29pm On Mar 02, 2017
pazienza:

True! Abagworo and betterAbia are not helping issues too.

It is not bad enough that the entire Nigerian groups are infested with a rabid case of Igbophobia, and we have to tame them on daily basis here. We now have to deal with self destructive agents aka "Agu unos" that had decided to attack their fellow Igbos, rather than seeing beyond their myopia the bigger picture that we all face a common enemy.

Me, I can only ignore them, but I'd be lying if I say that their actions here don't trouble me.
Good you've noticed it too

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by pazienza(m): 8:39pm On Mar 02, 2017
agadez007:
Good you've noticed it too

Of course I did.

This is the old Chino I knew: https://www.nairaland.com/2330306/functioning-seaport-economic-technological-revolution/8

The one that would target the most Igbophobic of Yorubas here, and use them
for toys over many pages of funny exchanges.

That's the old Chino I knew.

The current version is the opposite, only interested in fighting fellow Igbos and their states. I can't remember the last time I saw him take on Yorubas again.

It's hard not to notice the change.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 9:06pm On Mar 02, 2017
agadez007:

It's not core I used but heartland. It doesn't in anyway suggest any form of division as it relates more to geographical area.
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Abagworo(m): 9:11pm On Mar 02, 2017
pazienza:

Of course I did.

This is the old Chino I knew: https://www.nairaland.com/2330306/functioning-seaport-economic-technological-revolution/8

The current version is the opposite, only interested in fighting fellow Igbos and their states. I can't remember the last time I saw him take on Yorubas again.

Chino has never been pro-Igbo because he is not an Igbo man but Igala. His interest is in using Anambra as a launch point to create division among us. Both me and BetterAbiastate only tried to tame his stupid arss. Right now I've discovered that most of the Anambra anti-Igbo comments are all his monikers with few innocent ones coming in to side him without knowing his manipulative intentions.
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Doug07034780891(m): 9:19pm On Mar 02, 2017
Hopeless frustrated old hag. You know that you are the cause of all the problems and divisions going on here on NL. You stance on Anambra with your launch pad Imo state is well know on this board. Though you have always tried to deny it. It took my consistent effort of horse whipping and dealing a great blow on you and your useless and worthless Imo state to reset you and got you to stay away from my state. Your demonic outing on Anambra would have continued had I not clipped your wings till this moment.

[s]
Abagworo:

Chino has never been pro-Igbo because he is not an Igbo man but Igala. His interest is in using Anambra as a launch point to create division among us. Both me and BetterAbiastate only tried to tame his stupid arss. Right now I've discovered that most of the Anambra anti-Igbo comments are all his monikers with few innocent ones coming in to side him without knowing his manipulative intentions.
[/s]
Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Doug07034780891(m): 9:26pm On Mar 02, 2017
Brother it is the same Chino. Chino left yoruba divide and focused on Imo state when he realised that the frustrated old man called abagworo is out to dent the image of Anambra on this board. Chino took it upon himself to face Imo state where abagworo comes in retaliation. This has brought some level normalcy because they already knew the implications of attacking Anambra. Chino sole duty is to monitor abagworo's comments and peruse them as it affects him and his state.

pazienza:

Of course I did.

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by pazienza(m): 9:29pm On Mar 02, 2017
Abagworo:

You tried to tame him by denigrating Anambra and Ndi Anambra, calling our Aguleri brothers Igalas, our Nri people Igalas too. Posting bad pics of Anambra?

You are not serious. Do you kill a mosquito that perched on your scrotum with hammer?

Cos if Chino were indeed Igala, then that's exactly what you and BetterAbia had done.

Klinee is an Igala man from Anambra, and he is not Igbophobic. I'v even seen him defend Ndiigbo at times here.

So this Chino is Igala theory to cover your unnecessary attack on Anambra will not work.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by pazienza(m): 9:35pm On Mar 02, 2017
Doug07034780891:
Brother it is the same Chino. Chino left yoruba divide and focused on Imo state when he realised that the frustrated old man called abagworo is out to dent the image of Anambra on this board. Chino took it upon himself to face Imo state where abagworo comes in retaliation. This has brought some level normalcy because they already knew the implications of attacking Anambra. Chino sole duty is to monitor abagworo's comments and peruse them as it affects him and his state.

Nwanne, Please I beg you in the name of Ogwugwu Ogidi.

Can you sheath your sword and let Imo and Abia be?

Abagworo and betterAbiastate don't represent Imo and Abia states.

Will you now destroy your scrotum because a fly perched on it?

We have many good Abians and Imolites who have nothing but love and admiration for Anambra.

This your fights with Abagworo and betterAbia isn't doing any Igboman any good.

Chetakwa na anya bebe, imi ebebe.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Igbo Music by Doug07034780891(m): 9:38pm On Mar 02, 2017
This is still the same problem. It is not good to pay lip service that Anambra has anything to do with the ordinary Imo state when we all know that an average Anambra family would not want to marry an Imo state girl. In my family we consider it sacrilegious to marry from Imo state. My younger brother brought a girl from Mbano but Umunna almost dealt with him before he had to abandon the entire thing despite the fact that he had got a LIST from her parents.

Delta Igbo inter marry so much with Anambra than you can ever find from Anambra going to Imo state to marry. However I must admit that in flirting/relationship Imo girls are the best but once it gets to married issues it is a NO NO.

Imo state people are similar to Akwaibom people, both male and female. Anambrans have nothing in common with these people. Let us start to face reality than all these online academic exercise.

pazienza:
"Anambra na Imo bu umunne, anam ekene o! Udo dili unu dili anyi o"!

" Nwa mama na ife di nma n' ona adi anyi nma".

I love Theresa Onuorah songs. just listened to them
on Sunday.

Anambra na Imo in that context of her song doesn't mean Anambra and Imo state of today. It meant the entire SE.

It meant the entire SE, because in the Early 80's, the entire SE had just two states ie, Imo( present day Abia state, present Imo, and Afikpo/Ohaozara parts of Ebonyi) and Anambra( present Anambra, Enugu and Ezza/Ikwo/Izzi/Ngbo part of Ebonyi).

Anambra na Imo= The entire SE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maps Of Kingdoms, Peoples, States, And Cities In Africa Through Time / Ever Witnessed A Witch Confessing? / How Many Languages Do You Speak Fluently?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.