Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,240 members, 7,818,823 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

A Yoruba Girl Lost In Translation: The Name Issue - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Yoruba Girl Lost In Translation: The Name Issue (693 Views)

Lost in Lust [A story by Toyin Olorunsola] / Memoirs Of A Yoruba Demon / A Yoruba Girl Lost In Translation: The University Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Yoruba Girl Lost In Translation: The Name Issue by PenAStory: 8:11am On Mar 02, 2017
https://penastory.com/2017/02/21/the-name-issue-oluwakorede-akinkuolie/

So as a young Yoruba adult who has never truly lived in the south-western part of the country (I mean I did from like ages 6 to 9, might have been longer but that’s all I remember *sigh*). Anyway my dad had the brilliant idea to send me to a university in my region of origin and the culture shock was MAD! (And as I am sure the title of this column indicates I still can’t figure it out so please permit me to vent out my frustrations to you weekly, lest I make Yaba Left my new sanctuary.

My first problem was my name. My name is Oluwakorede but I make everyone call me Koreey (two e’s no exceptions). Why you ask, because I learnt in my first month of life in Yoruba land that female Koredes are rare. The first response you get is “Oh like Korede Bello?” Ummmm NO, I’m pretty sure my parents didn’t know him or his existence when I was named (no offence to him). That response is actually more bearable than the next one. Growing up in a different culture meant my name wasn’t common, and I was always had fun explaining what Oluwakorede meant (F.Y.I it means “God brings blessings” and no you cannot by that logic say my English name is blessing, so don’t go there please). Anyway I move here and go from; “Awwww your name is so unique!” to “Oh I thought that was a guy’s name!”

If I had N10 naira for every time I have heard that statement in the past four months, I would be a millionaire! Honestly, almost all Yoruba names are unisex right? So can someone please explain to me why people still have shocked expressions when I introduce myself as a Korede (if this seems like I’m exaggerating then think about every female Femi or Lanre that you know and the reaction you had when they said their name; if you are one then sweetie, I feel your pain).

So I said it was a problem right? My solution is Koreey, and I wish I could say it was full-proof and has stopped the stupid questions and annoying references but sadly it hasn’t. It has reduced them though and I don’t have to say, “Don’t say Bello” or listen to people attempt to sing Godwin as much. That’s a step up in my opinion. I am not saying it doesn’t still drive me crazy, believe me it does. I am just saying that I am now able to keep my annoyance on the inside (at least I hope so).

So to everyone out there who thinks that Yoruba names are gender specific and think that female Femis, Kolas, Obas, Kunles and the like are a myth; they aren’t. Our parents pick our names based on the meaning and often times how well it will glorify God not based on whether it sounds masculine or feminine. Please take this as a lesson to keep the shock as well as the urge to ask “Isn’t that a guy’s name?” to yourself the next time you meet someone who’s name doesn’t seem to you to fit their gender. As someone this happens to often, it’s annoying and kind of rude.

Unfortunately, that all I have time for this week but honestly people, don’t do this to anyone, please for the love of all that is good and decent. Also because if the person is like me, you could be the last straw and they could curse you out. Until next time, I have to go back to trying to figure out my own culture. *sigh*

Source: PenAStory - www.penastory.com
Re: A Yoruba Girl Lost In Translation: The Name Issue by blessedvisky(m): 3:51am On Mar 03, 2017
Lol. I know 2 ladies bearing Korede.

(1) (Reply)

What Do I Do Next / Lekki Conservation Centre Palava / The Gun - A Short Story.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.