Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. (795 Views)

Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 / Atiku: Unlike Buhari, I Will Appoint My Cabinet In One Day If Elected President / Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by NAVYdogg: 10:35am On Mar 02, 2017
Like we've all seen in the past elections in nigeria, before one takes over the office as the president, it is mandatory to take a presidential oath just like the example below:

“ I do solemnly swear/affirm that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that as President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, I will discharge my duties to the best of my ability, faithfully and in accordance with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the law, and always in the interest of the sovereignty, integrity, solidarity, well-being and prosperity of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will strive to preserve the Fundamental Objectives and Directive Principles of State Policy contained in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will not allow my personal interest to influence my official conduct or my official decisions; that I will to the best of my ability preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will abide by the Code of Conduct contained in the Fifth Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that in all circumstances, I will do right to all manner of people, according to law, without fear or favour, affection or ill-will; that I will not directly or indirectly communicate or reveal to any person any matter which shall be brought under my consideration or shall become known to me as President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, except as may be required for the due discharge of my duties as President; and that I will devote myself to the service and well-being of the people of Nigeria. So help me God.

But I've been asking myself this question. What will happen if "an atheist" who doesn't believe in God is to be sworn in as the president?

What is he going to use the Bible or Quran?

Who is he going to swear to?

Oga Seun, Lalasticlala Abeg make una do justice to my curiosity grin

1 Like

Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by midehi2(f): 10:38am On Mar 02, 2017
lol
Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by Naijiant: 10:44am On Mar 02, 2017
1. He has to swear to God b/c the constitution says so.
2. He would just do it as lip service just like all other presidents who have ignored everything in that oath.

1 Like

Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by NAVYdogg: 10:45am On Mar 02, 2017
midehi2:
lol

How fa grin
Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by Yugosng(m): 10:48am On Mar 02, 2017
Lol
Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by Nogodye(m): 10:53am On Mar 02, 2017
I have to hear Oga Seun before i talk...
Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by kingdenny(m): 11:00am On Mar 02, 2017
Don't bother bout that yet, an atheist can never win a presidential election in a religious country likeNigeria. Christians, Muslim, African tradition religion won't vote him,
Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by EazyMoh(m): 11:05am On Mar 02, 2017
No Nigerian politician will be foolish enough to profess his irreligion openly. He may likely just be a closet atheist. Who knows may be we have had one or two already.
Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by AK6464(m): 11:09am On Mar 02, 2017
He'll write his own oath
Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by daududaniel(m): 11:15am On Mar 02, 2017
Would be sworn in like a Christian. In Nigeria you're either a Christian or a Muslim.
Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by yanabasee(m): 11:36am On Mar 02, 2017
kingdenny:
Don't bother bout that yet, an atheist can never win a presidential election in a religious country likeNigeria. Christians, Muslim, African tradition religion won't vote him,

You wouldn't know how many Atheist that have ruled nigeria in the past...

The word "atheist" is just Ideate... They "atheist" are yet to prove why cells bring life and how man was craeted... All the theories speculated thus far makes them sound witted....raging from Bigbangthfrom to every other minor theories....

Their strongest argument is defaulting the Bible...

1 Like

Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by chijiblaze(m): 12:23pm On Mar 02, 2017
Christians swear in God's name, with bible (even though the same bible forbids them from doing so), Muslims swear with the Koran and say Insh'a Allah.
Traditionalists swear by the name of their local gods / goddess like the;
"ogwungwunminogwungwusikolakporoduimio"
and use red fowl and white goat with talisman and charm.
Atheists can swear with anything or nothing at all. They can swear using dictionary and in the name of Epicurus, Socrates, Nietzsche, or Hitchens.

1 Like

Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by NAVYdogg: 1:44pm On Mar 02, 2017
yanabasee:

You wouldn't know how many Atheist that have ruled nigeria in the past...

The word "atheist" is just Ideate... They "atheist" are yet to prove why cells bring life and how man was craeted... All the theories speculated thus far makes them sound witted....raging from Bigbangthfrom to every other minor theories....

Their strongest argument is defaulting the Bible...

Maybe one can simply decline because of there non religious reasons.
Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by NAVYdogg: 1:41pm On Mar 01, 2020
daududaniel:
Would be sworn in like a Christian. In Nigeria you're either a Christian or a Muslim.

Yea, you have a point there.
Re: How Would The Oath Be Given If An Atheist Is Elected President in Nigeria. by NAVYdogg: 6:34am On Jul 24, 2022

(1) (Reply)

Ex-commissioner, Hundreds Of APC Supporters Decamp To PDP$ / "Yellow Buses Have No Place in Lagos, They Have to Go" - Ambode / Edo Tribunal : Apc, Obaseki Walks On Tight Rope.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.