Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,620 members, 7,816,552 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada (14063 Views)

Bus Conductor Sanitizes Passengers Before Boarding Danfo Bus (photo) / 7 Ways To Keep Your Properties Safe When You Board A Danfo Bus / 5 Ways To Keep Your Home Safe When You Travel For christmas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by autojosh: 1:06pm On Mar 02, 2017
I personally avoid “Okada”(motorcycle or motorbike) as much as I can .But some situations come up where you just can not do without these guys .

For some people its an everyday affair and very few people take their safety into consideration.

Today I would be giving you some tips on how to ensure your safety when boarding an Okada.

1.Make Sure He Is Not Drunk
This is more than important ,it should be your first check.Observe closely , at the first sign of alcohol back off !!,even if he looks completely sober.

2.Consider Mature Men
This is debatable,but its safe to say that real men and not boys are more responsible .Usually between the age bracket of 30 and 45,they are always cautious of their speed and most times obey traffic laws compared to the younger ones.After all, they have kids at home and they don’t want to die .

3.Be The Only Passenger If You Can
Its safer to be the only passenger.And I know many of the Okada men would not agree,but its safer.

4.Learn To Caution The Rider
If he is over-speeding and taking dangerous maneuvers and overtaking both big and small, with reckless abandon ,speak up !.

5.Avoid Okada At Night
I know some people would protest at this.But its safer to avoid okada at night .A tricycle would suffice.

6.Avoid Boarding Okada On Major And Express Roads
Cars move faster on such roads ,and bikes are more prone to accidents in such scenarios.

7.Pregnant And Nursing Mothers Should Stay Away !!
Yeah I said it ,its just too dangerous .In the event of even a slight fall ,the aftermath could be fatal.Don’t also back your babies on an Okada .

8.Be Careful With Dangling Clothes And Accessories
Trust me it could be fatal.

Picture this :An Okada is moving fast,and passes by a stationary vehicle and your beautiful dress or ear piece or hair is dangling in the air and it gets hooked to the stationary vehicle.

I am sure you have a good imagination ,play the scenario slowly in your head .

9.Never Leave Kids Alone At The Back Without An Adult
Except the kid is holding the riders waist firmly .But I see a lot Nigerian parents sending Okada men to pick their children from school(sometimes up to 4 of them on one bike !!!).Its very risky.

10.I Think Helmets Should Come Back
This is really not a tip,more of a suggestion, because the use of helmets in Nigeria has proven almost impossible .Due to hygiene concerns and other reasons it has continually failed .But note that it is still safe to have an helmet on when you are on a bike .

What do you think ?,have something to add ?.

Disagree with a point ?

Lets hear from you.

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/10-tips-to-help-you-stay-safe-when-boarding-okada/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

19 Likes

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by bazzyblings: 1:13pm On Mar 02, 2017
I dedicate this space to The God of Shiloh ... can I get 100 likes for Baba God ... happy new month

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Donald7610: 1:13pm On Mar 02, 2017
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
The journey is more important than the lives?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by oviejnr(m): 1:13pm On Mar 02, 2017
K

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by holuwatobhy(m): 1:14pm On Mar 02, 2017
what is okada?
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Alitair(m): 1:14pm On Mar 02, 2017
Nice one. Bike accidents though.
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by CplusJason: 1:14pm On Mar 02, 2017
Don't distract him with Nigeria problems in the name of having national conversation or debate.

Avoid Hausa bike rider's.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 02, 2017
And this made front page? Nawao!
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by AgbenuAnna(f): 1:15pm On Mar 02, 2017
God save us
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Silentscreamer(f): 1:15pm On Mar 02, 2017
Nice tips
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Mrsorogate: 1:15pm On Mar 02, 2017
Ok
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by MrGreenMavro: 1:17pm On Mar 02, 2017
grin

The Basic safety precaution when boarding okada or keke Napep angry

1. Always ask if he has seat belt, and make sure you use them when you are on the bike. grin grin grin grin

2. Make sure you seat at the owners corner cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3. If the bike man is an Aboki man, Tell him MAZA MAZA as soon as you climb the bike, If the bike man is an Afonja (identified by their charasteristic wicked tribal marks), Tell him KIA KIA cool cool

datsall for now...i will update you, when PMB comes back from honey moon in london sad sad

2 Likes

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Nobody: 1:17pm On Mar 02, 2017
bazzyblings:
I dedicate this space to The God of Shiloh ... can I get 100 likes for Baba God ... happy new month
Olé alagbari. Wetin Baba God won use the likes do

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Sammypedro18(m): 1:17pm On Mar 02, 2017
Make sure dBike man knows exactly d location/place your going to

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Afam4eva(m): 1:17pm On Mar 02, 2017
The age of okada riders keep decreasing by the day. Most okada riders these days are very young and mostly from the north. Some years back i used to look for those elderly Yoruba babas. Those guys are the safest. But these Hausa boys can carry you to cotonou with bike if you're ready and they're very reckless. Na god go save person.

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by aldo19: 1:18pm On Mar 02, 2017
you can never be safe on a Nigerian Okada.

You can argue with dangote trailers if you want to
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Goahead(m): 1:19pm On Mar 02, 2017
I still believe in complete ban of okada!! Say NO to turning our cities to Hanoi.
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Hashimyussufamao(m): 1:20pm On Mar 02, 2017
Don't check live score on okada
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Tgold1(m): 1:22pm On Mar 02, 2017
good one nigg
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Chimaritoponcho: 1:23pm On Mar 02, 2017
franciskaine:
And this made front page? Nawao!
So this is not frontpage worthy grin

4 Likes

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by ogawisdom(m): 1:23pm On Mar 02, 2017
Oka gini
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by gurunlocker: 1:27pm On Mar 02, 2017
Only God saves...
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by seangy4konji: 1:27pm On Mar 02, 2017
lol....

thank God.
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by fufuNegusi(m): 1:34pm On Mar 02, 2017
I drive or take a taxi undecided

POVERTY NA BASTARD

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Kimikazi2: 1:40pm On Mar 02, 2017
holuwatobhy:
what is okada?
Eyan Gifty.....
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by jjbest123(m): 1:48pm On Mar 02, 2017
GreenMavro:
grin

The Basic safety precaution when boarding okada or keke Napep angry

1. Always ask if he has seat belt, and make sure you use them when you are on the bike. grin grin grin grin

2. Make sure you seat at the owners corner cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3. If the bike man is an Aboki man, Tell him MAZA MAZA as soon as you climb the bike, If the bike man is an Afonja (identified by their charasteristic wicked tribal marks), Tell him KIA KIA cool cool

datsall for now...i will update you, when PMB comes back from honey moon in london sad sad

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by viki84(m): 1:56pm On Mar 02, 2017
Always fasten your seatbelt when you board an okada
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Stay Safe When Boarding Okada by Nobody: 1:57pm On Mar 02, 2017
go to igbobi and see the number of okada accidents victims. don't ride bikes when other means of transport are available. if you can't do without it, use helmets.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Launches Digital Registration For Commercial Motorcycles, Tricycles / Nigerians In Chinese Jails_ Please Watch / Tarco Aircraft Carrying 130 Nigerian Evacuees Leave Port Sudan For Abuja (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.