Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,165 members, 7,821,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade (1767 Views)

Opinion - Nairaland Should Be Redesigned / nairaland is the best site in naija / Nairaland Is Africa's Most Visited Website And Largest Forum Today:afz Tweets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 4:57pm On Mar 02, 2017
hi everyone...

I have been a nairalander for a long time now as a guest...I practically scroll through everyday but decided to join just recently and I have made a lot of friends here and I will say the experience has been so amazing...

but the reason for opening this thread today is to voice my opinion..I also hope.. the mods and also the owner take note.

I agree to the fact that nairaland is by far the best Nigerian online platform and is way above its competitors...in terms of popularity and all..

but the truth is the actual reason this Is so, is majorly because of the people and not the website...
unlike others were its because of the owner of the site or what service the site is providing..
I think its time that changed...

as a business man..I will first of all want to look at nairaland from the business point of view..

nairaland is more than just a site now..its a business..to seun most especially.. to those that advertise..its a form of business aid also..
and in business they are competitors and how do you stay ahead of your competitors? you think outside the box and keep ur customers and try to take their own customers..

nairaland no doubt doesn't need to be fighting for more users but what if a new website comes up and takes the numbers one spot?

you don't wait till there is war before you create your army..and also..if you want peace, show your competitors that you are too advanced for them to fight with..we can see that case in Microsoft and any other tech company in the world..

how can we create this army of innovations? how do we strategies to create a better platform that every nairalander would be comfortable using? should nairaland be for just Nigeria?

I am going to give afew of my ideas that j think should truly raise the Alexa ranking of our site..

so no 1

Overall change in UI (User Interface)

the current nairaland ui is basic and that accounts for its speedy opening despite on low network coverage but being to simple in 2017 is not only deadly, risky and dangerous but also unwise...
although it might come with its changes and we would have to throw away some things..e.g having a more stylish font with rounded edges and adverts should be more of a decor to the website instead of looking like those on redwap..grin..
having sliding transition of adverts on the front page would be great, the text on the front page need to be more aligned, there should be spacing between the topics on FP..and the FP is kind of too bulky, they should be an option to "see more" only of the user wishes..

also before posting, we know the rules are there but putting it there like one sign board is not OK...

that's why you see that T&C of all websites have their separate link. if fiverr can do this, nairaland too should

there should be a clear difference between the mobile version and web version.

let's move to number 2

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 5:09pm On Mar 02, 2017

a mobile app (standard)

I've used the nl app on my blackberry way back then..and wen android was booming I tried using the android nl app. honestly I was disappointed...
for me it was a total display of miserly spending... for a site like nairaland, the ui of the app should be A1. the app is just like what my junior sister thought of..an app is there to make things more convenient for a user, the app should have at least been able to offer functions such as check your mentions, your pm, your profile, easily change your dp, without looking exactly like the website..the Facebook app and Facebook website have notable differences between them..and the app is by far more interesting..because of the transitions etc...if Linda ikeji can create her own social app I don't see a reason why nairaland of all sites should roll out something that poor...if nairaland wants to improve..this should be taken into consideration

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 5:18pm On Mar 02, 2017
a functional PM box

I need not over emphasize the usefulness of this, nairaland is here to make Nigerians to be able to interact.. but how can we when we have to use emails? like wtf? we need privacy on the site too and I think every nairalander will Agree that the pm box isn't pleasing at all, it should be more like that of Facebook...
where we can send images etc.. the amount I estimate nl makes in a month should be enough to do more than just hire mods, a functional tech team too that can handle a server to aid this part of the site..

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 5:26pm On Mar 02, 2017
polls option

yes..polls option..lots of contests are held on a daily basis here...if its not a post in romance section asking "like if you think she is hot, shares if you think she is not' or during our miss nairaland contest we have to drop names instead why don't we have an option to vote..
so that nairaland can be used to create surveys, we have the largest collection of nigerians online here..let their talking be of better use and more composed...if the goverment should bring out a new policy, we can vote on nairaland if it is beneficial or not..we all know the impact nairaland has on online presence and in turn on the social media which is the tool of the people to speak up...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by Adeyinka12(m): 5:27pm On Mar 02, 2017
I support you jare op, is like the owner ( seun ) don't have sense of beauty to make it more attractive, nairaland is old most especially when viewing via desktop.
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 5:33pm On Mar 02, 2017
last..and not the least..

miscellaneous options...
I will just list them

our emoji icon pack needs to be updated

special attributes to monikers that have made FP more than 5 times

special attributes to mod monikers (like thier names are written in red)

bans should be just and reasons for having a ban or thread deleted should be sent to the criminal..

if a post is too long there should be an option to "see more" if you want to..

E T C..

to or
...its long and nairalanders will vex but if we want improvement then let's start improving

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by Seun(m): 5:49pm On Mar 02, 2017
I really appreciate these ideas and look forward to implementing the ones that we can implement.

On an unrelated note, do you know any designer who can make Nairaland more aesthetically pleasing without slowing its performance?

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 6:01pm On Mar 02, 2017
Seun:
I really appreciate these ideas and look forward to implementing the ones that we can implement.

On an unrelated note, do you know any designer who can make Nairaland more aesthetically pleasing without slowing its performance?
wow..I..I...I didn't expect this...well..uhm...I think for a site like nl...it would take more than just a person but rather a team to check for flaws while making adjustments and the team would make it faster and I think better too...

getting a team shouldn't be a problem..

we are in webmasters section...they are all looking at us right now..and I bet a number of them would even want to do it for free and be part of those to own the certificate of participation in the nairaland upgrade..and then we can thank them with a lil form of appreciation..

but I will recommend screening of the applicants, every one interested should provide samples of previous projects they have embarked on..and strategies they want to employ and you pick the best 5 at most.. to do the job..

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by Marvel1206: 6:17pm On Mar 02, 2017
I agree with you 100%
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by MuskElon: 6:19pm On Mar 02, 2017
A feature I think will make NL better is the upvote/down vote buttons.

Comments can be sorted this way. Reasonable comments will naturally be upvoted and stupid comments will be down voted.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by Nobody: 7:07pm On Mar 02, 2017
MuskElon:
A feature I think will make NL better is the upvote/down vote buttons.

Comments can be sorted this way. Reasonable comments will naturally be updated and stupid comments will be down voted.
very brilliant idea
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by Mcowubaba: 7:09pm On Mar 02, 2017
Nice 1 Op... 100% supported

I really hope to see Nairaland being used as a credible survey platform and research information sources....

This will attract more scholars and researchers to this website, I remember telling my Supervisor that we could do an opinion poll and a pretest retest analysis on Nairaland, he said that it won't be credible, probably due to the number of miscreants and bigots in the some sections.. And slow moderators...

I am not an IT expert, I don't really know much about information technology and its intricacies, but I think the nairaland team can do better in responding to queries and issues more professionally and promptly...

I don't know whether it is Lack of IT workers, lack of Moderators or lack of IT programs or software necessary to assist in this issues...

We need more moderators... Some people are ready to moderate free of charge wink

Cc Seun

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by martooski(m): 7:37pm On Mar 02, 2017
Seun:

Yes... Okeke Emmanuel
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by ElizaVeta(f): 7:49pm On Mar 02, 2017
Uncle Seun .. Don't forget to implement the 'Inbox' Feature grin ..

The pm stuff is too lame ..

Thank You smiley

Op, you really a SavageFinder tongue
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by Nobody: 8:06pm On Mar 02, 2017
@OP
I agree with you about the User Interface and PM. I been want to bring up the idea since a long time but there are still some side effects
User Interface - Nairaland opens very fast and if the new interface is very heavy, it might be inconvenient for some NLanders | But as a webmaster, am sure there are ways one can do it and it will still be lightweight

PM - This is a very good idea as we would be able to communicate easily with one another instead of running to our email box to send and reply (some Nairaland babes and guys self no even fancy checking their mail) but the thing is; some people might abuse this feature | This also can be overcome with the use of a 'report/block feature"

I rest my e-pen
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 8:32pm On Mar 02, 2017
ElizaVeta:
Uncle Seun .. Don't forget to implement the 'Inbox' Feature grin ..

The pm stuff is too lame ..

Thank You smiley

Op, you really a SavageFinder tongue
lol..be looking for my trouble..I will soon have ur time
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 8:33pm On Mar 02, 2017
Tuham:
@OP
I agree with you about the User Interface and PM. I been want to bring up the idea since a long time but there are still some side effects
User Interface - Nairaland opens very fast and if the new interface is very heavy, it might be inconvenient for some NLanders | But as a webmaster, am sure there are ways one can do it and it will still be lightweight

PM - This is a very good idea as we would be able to communicate easily with one another instead of running to our email box to send and reply (some Nairaland babes and guys self no even fancy checking their mail) but the thing is; some people might abuse this feature | This also can be overcome with the use of a 'report/block feature"

I rest my e-pen
we can do it like twitter that unless the person is your follower..you can't inbox the person
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by ElizaVeta(f): 8:35pm On Mar 02, 2017
savagefinder:
lol..be looking for my trouble..I will soon have ur time
lol .. you already have ma time tongue
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 02, 2017
savagefinder:
we can do it like twitter that unless the person is your follower..you can't inbox the person

That one true sha...
But yuh know the "following" here on NL is different from twitter
When you follow someone here, you get subscribed to every jack and jill posts/comments they made unlike twitter
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 9:53pm On Mar 02, 2017
ElizaVeta:
lol .. you already have ma time tongue
lol..u have no idea what my definition of "have ur time" means
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by Dreyl(m): 10:05pm On Mar 02, 2017
Seun should sell nairaland to me, i will do the upgrading myself.
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 10:16pm On Mar 02, 2017
brokechurchrat:
was gonna type this but changed my mind

5 Likes

Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 10:33pm On Mar 02, 2017
Tuham:
@OP

I rest my e-pen
am not asking for something heavy.. it can still be simple without pictures and all..like let's say its all white with well spaced and aligned topics on the front page.. all those thread and section links can be grouped and have drop down effects to see the full sections...

then profile would just be in one corner, then you click it to get access to your mentions , threads, followers etc..

while your inbox, would be in a seperate place on the other side with nairaland as the top banner..

the only heavg thing on the front page should be the sliding transition of adverts..

then the disclaimer at the bottom and am I the only one who doesn't look at those birthdays?

then to post on a thread, they would be the normal writeup but the rules should be linked to a seperate page just like that of the targeted ads page which I often click for no good reason..

then..the normals.. I am think the option of quoting a post is still cool...

for the emojis, to make it easier I think device emojis should be allowed like in twitter..

to create a thread there would be the new start a poll option, tho it might be difficult but should it be pulled off. it would be epic..but in such a way that only the person who created the thread can start a poll on the thread..

then for the inbox..
this is the one that would cap everything..
let it be fully functional.. I don't know the processes involved but if it requires its own server separately then its worth paying for..but there should be strict restrictions of size of files that can be sent..

well am not a programmer, am just an innovative thinker..should it be a business world now..I would be praised but here needs hours of work on a laptop..

but honestly aside the introduction of polls and inbox, the rest should be simple..should ooh...not sure..

then when the site is done..the app should just be giving to one Indian company somewhere to create or to one of these hot heads in Lagos..

oga seun, I only can bring up ideas hope they are okay?
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by bossman2017(m): 11:17pm On Mar 02, 2017
savagefinder:
am not asking for something heavy.. it can still be simple without pictures and all..like let's say its all white with well spaced and aligned topics on the front page.. all those thread and section links can be grouped and have drop down effects to see the full sections...

then profile would just be in one corner, then you click it to get access to your mentions , threads, followers etc..

while your inbox, would be in a seperate place on the other side with nairaland as the top banner..

the only heavg thing on the front page should be the sliding transition of adverts..

then the disclaimer at the bottom and am I the only one who doesn't look at those birthdays?

then to post on a thread, they would be the normal writeup but the rules should be linked to a seperate page just like that of the targeted ads page which I often click for no good reason..

then..the normals.. I am think the option of quoting a post is still cool...

for the emojis, to make it easier I think device emojis should be allowed like in twitter..

to create a thread there would be the new start a poll option, tho it might be difficult but should it be pulled off. it would be epic..but in such a way that only the person who created the thread can start a poll on the thread..

then for the inbox..
this is the one that would cap everything..
let it be fully functional.. I don't know the processes involved but if it requires its own server separately then its worth paying for..but there should be strict restrictions of size of files that can be sent..

well am not a programmer, am just an innovative thinker..should it be a business world now..I would be praised but here needs hours of work on a laptop..

but honestly aside the introduction of polls and inbox, the rest should be simple..should ooh...not sure..

then when the site is done..the app should just be giving to one Indian company somewhere to create or to one of these hot heads in Lagos..

oga seun, I only can bring up ideas hope they are okay?

bro I like your suggestion and I think ull make wave giving advice to people who wanna undergo projects... u would make a good advisor .can we b friends
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by Tintinnoty(m): 11:24pm On Mar 02, 2017
Dreyl:
guy but you're wicked
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by iamdannyfc(m): 1:23am On Mar 03, 2017
Seun:

Wow you dont knw au pleased i am for your comment to upgrade this great forum..
You finally wish to make an improvement move,my friend had always been abusing me when i refer them to nairaland due to it design.
Comparing it to naijaloaded,and carried away just by the design.
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by savagefinder: 5:35am On Mar 03, 2017
bossman2017:

bro I like your suggestion and I think ull make wave giving advice to people who wanna undergo projects... u would make a good advisor .can we b friends
lol..oya na
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by OTRebirth: 11:20am On Mar 03, 2017
Maybe the owner of nairaland thinks adding aa line of code can ruin everything(performance and bugs)
Re: Opinion: Nairaland Is Overdue For An Upgrade by Nobody: 4:27pm On Mar 03, 2017
You are so amazing

(1) (2) (Reply)

Non-hosted Unverified US Adsense / Nigerian Adsense / Adsense Account For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.