Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,576 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? (20256 Views)

The Black Billionaires 2019 - Forbes / Woman Kerosene Black Market Seller Opens Her Own Filling Station (pictures) / Naira Firms On Black Market After Central Bank Action - BDC Traders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by despi64(m): 8:42am On Mar 05, 2017
Well, it's sustainable if there is peace in the Niger Delta and oil prices don't drop.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by brownhawk: 8:46am On Mar 05, 2017
peter1994:
The way non financial gurus be looking at this
honestly I'm caught

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 05, 2017
TPAND:

Take it from me, you ar one of the smartest chaps on this forum.
A lot would have been heaping praise on osinbajo and making biblical postulations that the dollar will come down under his watch. Well analyzed my friend. Very spot on. CBN should have been patient to build the reserve to >$35billion before going on the black market onslaught. We live in a country where the demand for dollar dwarfs what with have in our national treasury.

I think $30b is still kinda reasonable. We cant focus on building reserves forever now while people are languishing in poverty.

5 Likes

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Adisodelight22(m): 8:48am On Mar 05, 2017
Yes we can,in as much the project policy of the Opec stand and the price of barrel continue increasing above our projected benchmark for 2017,its really feasible for the CBN to roll out $350M week in week out. The two major determinant that can bring about set back to this new policy is the attaining the 2.2mb/p day production and the wicked cabal hijacking the whole process.
May Allah save our nation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by TPAND(f): 8:52am On Mar 05, 2017
papiforreal:

I think $30b is still kinda reasonable. We cant focus on building reserves forever now while people are languishing in poverty.

I concur. The hardship is getting out of hand, CBN needs to come up with a strategic approach of meeting the demand for the dollar. The recession is a wake-up call to CBN to stop hoarding dollars to build up the reserve at the detriment of a crumbling economy. The purchasing power of the citizen is almost at ground zero. Now everything cost a fortune. Including locally made goods

3 Likes

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 9:02am On Mar 05, 2017
despi64:
Well, it's sustainable if there is peace in the Niger Delta and oil prices don't drop.

Spot on

1. Maintain or increase our crude export volume

2. Ensure Militancy in the ND is near zero through alternative social engagement programmes

3. Pray for a war in the middle east which will send the crude prices sky high-- Joking

Either way if the revenue generated from crude sales is sustained / increased then the CBN can actually drive the Naira down and hence destroy the black market dorminance

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 9:04am On Mar 05, 2017
I hear that majority consumers of USD is spread between travelers and school fees abroad.. I think that is a big black lie.

Dangote, Otedola, Politicians, Governors and Senators consume the lot of USD pumped into the market. Let CBN show us how th eFX was allocated. LIARS!!

By the time the Reserves are used up.. USD will fly up to $1-N1,000 before December and these criminals that get the bulk of the allocation will show their faces

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by buffalowings: 9:06am On Mar 05, 2017
peter1994:
The way non financial gurus be looking at this

lol
na me be that

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by buffalowings: 9:07am On Mar 05, 2017
bravesoul247:
I wish to be tutored on all these things cos I'm kinda lost a bit sha but I understand a little. I hope naira maintains this exchange rate with dollar though.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by DjSwaga(m): 9:07am On Mar 05, 2017
U are neglecting the fact that its our oil money we use in building up this external reserve

So its either u use the oil money to build up d external reserve or u use it defend and make d naira 'strong'

Oops, i may be wrong . What do i know

Truth234:

No, not the recent intervention. It is not from our foreign reserves but oil revenue generation. People should know the difference.

Here is a link to CBN foreign reserves statement https://www.cbn.gov.ng/IntOps/Reserve.asp?MoveDate=3/2/2017%2011:44:07%20PM

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by amunites19(m): 9:17am On Mar 05, 2017
No excuses, CBN must save us, check our neighboring countries which their economy is not strong as our own but the different between their official rate and black market mostly is about 0.01%.
Also when the different between official and black market rate is not much there would be no too much money laundering, so the people doing business outside the country would be using banks for their transactions which will provide more dollars in circulation and will reduce demand of dollars from CBN by the banks.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Firmjudge(m): 9:23am On Mar 05, 2017
lestat:

Spot on

1. Maintain or increase our crude export volume

2. Ensure Militancy in the ND is near zero through alternative social engagement programmes

3. Pray for a war in the middle east which will send the crude prices sky high-- Joking

Either way if the revenue generated from crude sales is sustained / increased then the CBN can actually drive the Naira down and hence destroy the black market dorminance

1. Our off opec quota doesnt count into our reserve. Hence, once owe reach our qouta (set oil export limit (OPEC Qouta)) we will have to halt and use off opec which doesnt count into our reserve.
The defining factor to increase our reserve is in the continous increase in the price of oil..

However,

2.Great idea.

3. My hand no day ... lol.

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by zomoears(m): 9:24am On Mar 05, 2017
papiforreal:

Very true.
Venezuela is down to $10bn reserves and most of it is in gold. They didnt know when to cut off subsidies,and it is haunting them now.

The Nigerian govt was right by removing subsidy on petroleum products. Else d fight would have been too multi faceted for d govt to cope.

Try balancing subsidy on petroleum products with defending d naira amidst high borrowing cost for govt (14% mpr)...govt would have had a much worse crisis by now.

A country like Nigeria needs reserves in d region of $35bn.

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 9:24am On Mar 05, 2017
Firmjudge:

1. Our off opec quota doesnt count into our reserve. Hence, once owe reach our qouta (set oil export limit (OPEC Qouta)) we will have to halt and use off opec which doesnt count into our reserve.
The defining factor to increase our reserve is in the continous increase in the price of oil..

However,

2.Great idea.

3. My hand no day ... lol.

Yeah i forgot about the OPEC quota, well our only option is number 3? grin
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by plaetton: 9:25am On Mar 05, 2017
sholatech:
I think CBN should have waited till Reserves are up to 36/38 Billion USD before they struck.

Unmet demand is at least 2bn USD. Within one week, Cbn brought out 530 million USD from Reserves to defend the currency. More or less subsidising foreign Travels & foreign education. And some 'Forwards'. And you see, the banks were not even liquid enough to take all that the Cbn offered.

Last week, most people did panicked sales. Now, demand is picking up. Where you have 2bn USD demand & 530m USD supply, what happens?

It is quite stupid for the CBN to be defending the Naira with our foreign currency reserves. No matter seemingly affective it appears at this particular time, the measures are ad-hoc and the reprieve temporary.

For how long will the CBN continue to do this? With what unlimited funds, and most importantly, for whose ultimate benefits ?
For example, with 5 different exchange rates, who benefits from these periodic CBN dollar subsidies ?

Certainly not the average Nigerian by any stretch.

With the weak Naira, Nigeria's balance of trade has reportedly improved, with non- oil exports leading the way.
This export momentum is exactly what Nigeria needs desperately to sustain.

This government seems to be operating a schizophrenic economic and monetary policies, where one is working against the other.

The government , no, the Nigerian public should have no obligation to subsidize any foreign exchange based business or lifestyle for anyone or group.
Your needs should match your means.

4 Likes

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Firmjudge(m): 9:26am On Mar 05, 2017
lestat:

Yeah i forgot about the OPEC quota, well our only option is number 3? grin

Lol... bros you got no chill oo..

Meanwhile diversification is an option that could do the magic
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 05, 2017
Firmjudge:

Lol... bros you got no chill oo..

Meanwhile diversification is an option that could do the magic

Diversification can only work in a country where there

1. the political will to move the economy

2. consistency of government policies

3. enabling environment - power, security , transportation system and less bottle necks due to bureaucracy

Now all these are lacking in the NIgeria, so while we all have it on paper we all know the reality that Nigeria's political elite will suffocate any moves to adjust and realign the economic direction due to selfish gains

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by plaetton: 9:34am On Mar 05, 2017
Adisodelight22:
Yes we can,in as much the project policy of the Opec stand and the price of barrel continue increasing above our projected benchmark for 2017,its really feasible for the CBN to roll out $350M week in week out. The two major determinant that can bring about set back to this new policy is the attaining the 2.2mb/p day production and the wicked cabal hijacking the whole process.
May Allah save our nation.

But why do you reasonably think that CBN should roll out $350 per week to defend the Naira( more like SUBSIDIZING dollar purchases for a 'SELECT' group of Nigerians ) ?

For who's benefits, and at what economic costs ?
If our non-oil exports are ramping up as a result of the weak Naira, why do we want CBN to spoil that show ?

If the broad economic policy is to curb imports and boost exports, then a weaker currency is imperative, a sin qua non.
That's economics 101.

Ad-hocism , and the woeful inability to think long term is what kills this country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Firmjudge(m): 9:39am On Mar 05, 2017
plaetton:

It is quite stupid for the CBN to be defending the Naira with our foreign currency reserves. No matter seemingly affective it appears at this particular time, the measures are ad-hoc and the reprieve temporary.

For how long will the CBN continue to do this? With what unlimited funds, and most importantly, for whose ultimate benefits ?
For example, with 5 different exchange rates, who benefits from these periodic CBN dollar subsidies ?

Certainly not the average Nigerian by any stretch.

With the weak Naira, Nigeria's balance of trade has reportedly improved, with non- oil exports leading the way.
This export momentum is exactly what Nigeria needs desperately to sustain.

This government seems to be operating a schizophrenic economic and monetary policies, where one is working against the other.

The government , no, the Nigerian public should have no obligation to subsidize any foreign exchange based business or lifestyle for anyone or group.
Your needs should match your means.
My brother/Sister...
Exactly
Robbing peter packer to pay spider man..
The magic is in diversification. Balance import with export and things will ease.
However, the government has some nasty policy on exportation failing to realise that Nigeria is a net importer which js causing us this nightmare
This they can ease up policy and increase export we will get better..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Firmjudge(m): 9:44am On Mar 05, 2017
zomoears:

Very true.
Venezuela is down to $10bn reserves and most of it is in gold. They didnt know when to cut off subsidies,and it is haunting them now.

The Nigerian govt was right by removing subsidy on petroleum products. Else d fight would have been too multi faceted for d govt to cope.

Try balancing subsidy on petroleum products with defending d naira amidst high borrowing cost for govt (14% mpr)...govt would have had a much worse crisis by now.

A country like Nigeria needs reserves in d region of $35bn.

Venezuela is practically in shambles. The goverment thought subsidy intervention on virtually everything including rice and bean could be sustain... alas see their reserve they cant help themself
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Firmjudge(m): 9:49am On Mar 05, 2017
lestat:

Diversification can only work in a country where there

1. the political will to move the economy

2. consistency of government policies

3. enabling environment - power, security , transportation system and less bottle necks due to bureaucracy

Now all these are lacking in the NIgeria, so while we all have it on paper we all know the reality that Nigeria's political elite will suffocate any moves to adjust and realign the economic direction due to selfish gains

Greed, selfishnss and lack of patroitism from the elite is really a stumbling block..
Wanted to start exportation of benny seed, sheer butter and yams since we have these things in excess here and a tuber could cost as high as 14 to 20 dollars in the international market..
But,
I was given a criteria that even my capital wnt cover..
Talk about suffocation
I am with you on this..

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Rekeb: 9:52am On Mar 05, 2017
Truth234:
Amoto94 can you space it?

This is a general misconception, the CBN do not withdraw from the Foreign Reserves and in fact has added about $500 million in the last two weeks -- $75 million this week alone.

For the record, the money the CBN is auctioning is in accordance with 2017 budget provision -- official exchange rate of N305 with the oil benchmark pegged at $44 a barrel. Therefore, it is part of N2.2 trillion stipulated in the 2017 budget to come from oil revenue.

The subsidised rate is still above N305/$ official rate, commercial banks are directed not to sell more than 20% above the official rate, which is about N375/$. This fund is needed to fund capital projects in Naira and not dollars. Hence, the exchange.

So whether we can sustain it or not, 2017 budget must be funded, either through loan or revenue generation. Let just pray militants continued to yield to the agreement.

Let's assume what you said is correct. Lets also assume that the circa $700million that the CBN has sold in the past 2 weeks goes to fund capital projects. I do not see the reason why the CBN should sell that $$ to the banks at N305 and let them sell at N375. That is N70 profit on $1 for the banks. I am pretty sure that the banks will turn around that $ in 1 day or less. That is a 7,300% per annum (20x365%) return for the banks. I don't think Pablo Escobar the notorious drug kingpin was making that much return before he was unceremoniously gunned down by the US and Columbian government.

Essentially what Im saying is that CBN is legitimising the rip-off of Nigerians and enriching the fat cat bankers. I do not see why CBN cannot sell the $$ to the bankers at N365/$. The bankers will still jump at a N10/$ profit for basically doing nothing and the Nigerian public would have gained N42billion (60x700) on the sale of just $700million. N42billion will go a long way in completing some of the abandoned projects.

In my opinion, Nigeria has not had a worse CBN governor that Emefiele. Ever.

6 Likes

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by LastProphet: 9:52am On Mar 05, 2017
until subsidy thieves that hoarded billions of naira in warehouses are caught and executed osinbajo is wasting his time. these people have no business now than currency business and what they do is buy up anything cbn releases and hoard them till the value rises again. another set of people are the friends of pmb that buy dollar at N1 to $1 as revealed by that cbn whistleblower who is still in jail, and lastly emiefele also steals the dollar

2 Likes

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by emi14: 9:53am On Mar 05, 2017
Integrityfarms:
If we can maintain the oil production level of 2m barrels per day and with the current price of oil over $50 per barrel it can be fully sustained.

I for see osinbajo sustaining this production level because of his diplomatic dealing with the people of the Niger Delta unlike his Vegetative Boss who have gone AWOL.

But when Buhari sent military force to Niger delta to shot and kill some moroo*ns applauded him. Now osinbanjo applied diplomacy have yielded more results than force. Wisdom and equity build on love can propel Nigeria to a reasonable heights. Tribal hatred is the major epidemic after our progress. In this regard corruption is secondary.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by ofwest47(m): 9:53am On Mar 05, 2017
Black man black brain do you hear of this type of saabo type of black market in advance countries of Europe, America and Asia.

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by murmee: 10:01am On Mar 05, 2017
TPAND:

Take it from me, you ar one of the smartest chaps on this forum.
A lot would have been heaping praise on osinbajo and making biblical postulations that the dollar will come down under his watch. Well analyzed my friend. Very spot on. CBN should have been patient to build the reserve to >$35billion before going on the black market onslaught. We live in a country where the demand for dollar dwarfs what with have in our national treasury.
Your submission makes sense but you are forgetting that the exchange rate was running to N600 to a dollar before the intervention. Prices of food and essential commodities were skyrocketing out of control. If CBN had waited to build the reserve to N35billion as you suggested, you can imagine the kind of inflation that would have hit the markets and stores and that means a lot of Nigerians would die of hunger and inability to buy essential drugs for hypertension, asthma, diabetes etc.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by 989900: 10:16am On Mar 05, 2017
I would think the goal is to harmonize rates, which would effectively bring other Forex inflow (FDIs, Diaspora remittances, and other non-oil export inflow) into the system, which going forward should create a surplus.

As it stands now, all those 'inflows' from other sources are being largely hoarded in dorm accounts, Emoney platforms, private safes, and elsewhere; speculated on, while other racketeers from the CBN and FG accomplices to banks, BDCs, and individuals go on with their shenanigans.

On the oil side, if production and Brent price surges north, then it's done and dusted.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by kjhova(m): 10:28am On Mar 05, 2017
All this talk of a mythical reserve threshold of $30B to $35B is nothing when the economy is falling to the dogs. For this reason, the CBN is right to intervene in the market now rather than wait to shore up our reserves. Anyone abising Emefiele probably has shallow knowledge of economics.

The forecast is that oil prices will likely continue to push upwards, albeit marginally, in 2017 and this is good as the current price is already higher than our budget benchmark. It is also reasonable to assume that militancy in the Niger Delta will remain in check permitting continued crude production above the 2mbpd mark.

Since our economy is still very much import dependent, it makes sense for CBN to pay heed to the exchange rate of the principal currency of importation, which is the greenback. The apex bank will be able to intervene in the FX market while concurrently building up our reserves.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by chloride6: 10:36am On Mar 05, 2017
For now the most sensible thing to do is introduce an informal agreements per say with the black market by establishing that trading below 500 will not be accepted. If they pump FX anytime it gets to 500. The market will soon realise that this is a no go area and quietly trade within this range.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Integrityfarms(m): 10:41am On Mar 05, 2017
emi14:

But when Buhari sent military force to Niger delta to shot and kill some moroo*ns applauded him. Now osinbanjo applied diplomacy have yielded more results than force. Wisdom and equity build on love can propel Nigeria to a reasonable heights. Tribal hatred is the major epidemic after our progress. In this regard corruption is secondary.

Who doesn't know that Buhari is a daft?

2 Likes

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Clone2020(m): 10:42am On Mar 05, 2017
If you are in the US or have relatives in the US trying to send money to naija, I will exchange the funds at 400/$, simply deposit into my US bank account and receive instant funding into your Nigerian account. Don't bother with western Union and co, they exchange at 375/$ with fees and the exchange rate drops to around 345/$.

See my contact below.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by HAH: 10:47am On Mar 05, 2017
plaetton:

But why do you reasonably think that CBN should roll out $350 per week to defend the Naira( more like SUBSIDIZING dollar purchases for a 'SELECT' group of Nigerians ) ?

For who's benefits, and at what economic costs ?
If our non-oil exports are ramping up as a result of the weak Naira, why do we want CBN to spoil that show ?

If the broad economic policy is to curb imports and boost exports, then a weaker currency is imperative, a sin qua non.
That's economics 101.

Ad-hocism , and the woeful inability to think long term is what kills this country.

Why do we have the reserve? Is it just for fashion, a wise man will keep a percentage of his earning in his account and some to spend for his family day to day needs, this is what the FG is doing now, not everything earned is being used to match fx demand other are saved,

At $55 a barrel Nigeria earns and at production quota of 2M daily we make $110M daily from oil alone less about 40% for the JV, that will leave the nations with about $70M daily which can be split between savings and expenditure.

Nigeria earn it's money in dollars how does it spend it if not by pumping some through the banks in exchange for Naira in order to pay salaries and works.

To me the only people that are not ok with the current measure of pumping some percentage fx earning weekly are pessimist and fx speculators that want te green back to remain high in order to make supernormal profits

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote Tops Forbes’ 23 African Billionaires List For The 7th Time / Banks To Shut Down ATMs Over Fuel Scarcity / Forbes Names Dangote, Putin, Trump Among World’s Most Powerful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.