Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,460 members, 7,770,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:40 AM

Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? (2672 Views)

5 Signs Of Bad Fuel In The Tank / This Is What Bad Fuel Will Do To Your Car: 7 Effects Of Bad Fuel In Your Car / WARNING!!!! 5 Common Symptoms Of A Bad Fuel Pump. (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Formidable1: 1:33pm On Mar 03, 2017
I own a Mazda Premacy 2001 model. But I feel it consumes a lot of fuel. I usually shuttle to Onitsha from Awka sometimes. I'd say that on average my car consumes about 10-11 litres from Awka to Onitsha and back to Awka again. Or in other words, it costs me 2k worth of fuel to make such journeys. So does it have good fuel economy or not?

What are the criteria for judging whether a car has a good or bad fuel economy? What is the appropriate litre/kilometre ratio for such assessment?
Thanks.
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Coolgent(m): 8:02pm On Mar 04, 2017
How many Kilometres from Onitsha to Awka?
With AC on or off?.
I nrmly get 80km per 10ltrs (city drivig with AC)
100km per 10ltrs (with AC on)
Honda accord 2.4 ivtec 2003 model.
Odometer 115000
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Formidable1: 8:44pm On Mar 18, 2017
Coolgent:
How many Kilometres from Onitsha to Awka?
With AC on or off?.
I nrmly get 80km per 10ltrs (city drivig with AC)
100km per 10ltrs (with AC on)
Honda accord 2.4 ivtec 2003 model.
Odometer 115000

So sorry sir for the late reply. I've been busy , so I was offline since then.

Anyway, from Awka to Onitsha and then back again is about 90km total.
And I don't use A/C.

So I guess, following the calculation for your Honda car, I think my car consumes more fuel. sad

1 Like

Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Coolgent(m): 3:18pm On Mar 19, 2017
Formidable1:

So sorry sir for the late reply. I've been busy , so I was offline since then.

Anyway, from Awka to Onitsha and then back again is about 90km total.
And I don't use A/C.

So I guess, following the calculation for your Honda car, I think my car consumes more fuel. sad
Your Car shoulnt hv consume morethan 11ltrs.
Is check engine light illuminated?
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Formidable1: 4:00pm On Mar 24, 2017
Coolgent:

Your Car shoulnt hv consume morethan 11ltrs.
Is check engine light illuminated?

Yes sir. I noticed the engine light is on. It has been illuminated for some time now, and I've not had the time to check.

Do you have any idea what it might indicate?
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Coolgent(m): 4:02pm On Mar 24, 2017
Formidable1:

Yes sir. I noticed the engine light is on. It has been illuminated for some time now, and I've not had the time to check.

Do you have any idea what it might indicate?
No one can tell except after scanning your vehicle, u can order bluetooth scanner for about 5k either from konga or jumia
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Formidable1: 12:38pm On Mar 31, 2017
Coolgent:

No one can tell except after scanning your vehicle, u can order bluetooth scanner for about 5k either from konga or jumia

Alright, I'll try and go for a scan when I find the time.

Thank you sir for your time.
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Coolgent(m): 10:19pm On Mar 31, 2017
Formidable1:

Alright, I'll try and go for a scan when I find the time.

Thank you sir for your time.
You are welcome Sir
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Correspondence(m): 8:53am On Apr 01, 2017
This thread na only two man show?
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Formidable1: 12:59am On Apr 04, 2017
Correspondence:
This thread na only two man show?

I wonder o. As if there are only two men that own cars in Nairaland.

Well, since you're here let's make it a three-some.
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by timifakay(m): 8:16am On Apr 05, 2017
Formidable1:
I own a Mazda Premacy 2001 model. But I feel it consumes a lot of fuel. I usually shuttle to Onitsha from Awka sometimes. I'd say that on average my car consumes about 10-11 litres from Awka to Onitsha and back to Awka again. Or in other words, it costs me 2k worth of fuel to make such journeys. So does it have good fuel economy or not?

What are the criteria for judging whether a car has a good or bad fuel economy? What is the appropriate litre/kilometre ratio for such assessment?
Thanks.
Have you gone for a scan and what was the result if yes?
What's your drive pattern, average speed, top speed and the likes, the more you accelerate and the brake sharply the more fuel you will consume...
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Formidable1: 6:07pm On Apr 06, 2017
timifakay:

Have you gone for a scan and what was the result if yes?
What's your drive pattern, average speed, top speed and the likes, the more you accelerate and the brake sharply the more fuel you will consume...

Thank you sir, for your reply.

I've not gone for a scan yet.
But my average speed is 70km/h; Top speed 100km/h.
While driving in the city, I feel it consumes more.
By the way, I notice a sharp drop in fuel especially when I turn off and on the car more frequently. Is that normal?
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by J0hnTrevolt(m): 6:37pm On Apr 06, 2017
Formidable1:

By the way, I notice a sharp drop in fuel especially when I turn off and on the car more frequently. Is that normal?
exactly wat my avalon does. The fuel goes down so well wen I on n off ignition. Infact I save fuel by leaving the ignition running cos there will be drastic reduction if I turn off d ignition n turn on again.
Tho its bn scanned and faulty 02sensor is responsible but money neva dey to change am cry
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Formidable1: 8:21pm On Apr 06, 2017
J0hnTrevolt:
exactly wat my avalon does. The fuel goes down so well wen I on n off ignition. Infact I save fuel by leaving the ignition running cos there will be drastic reduction if I turn off d ignition n turn on again.
Tho its bn scanned and faulty 02sensor is responsible but money neva dey to change am cry

And I guess the 02 sensor thing will be costly to replace. It's a serious issue. I guess I should be leaving my ignition on as well to save fuel.
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by timifakay(m): 9:38pm On Apr 06, 2017
Formidable1:

City driving consumes more fuel than highway because of more frequent braking...
Under normal circumstances, the time it will be worth it to leave car running is if it won't take more than 2 minutes or there about to start engine again.
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by emy77: 9:48pm On Apr 06, 2017
With my Hyundai Tucson 06, I do 180km Highway with 15litres of fuel. Mark you that's with Ac all through, and it's a 2.0litre engine in a 4wd SUV.

Your primacy should not be more than 1.6litre engine, it should not use more than 7 or 8 litres on a 90km journey, with ac. Which is what my car will do. So you need to check yr car properly
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Formidable1: 2:33pm On Apr 07, 2017
emy77:
With my Hyundai Tucson 06, I do 180km Highway with 15litres of fuel. Mark you that's with Ac all through, and it's a 2.0litre engine in a 4wd SUV.

Your primacy should not be more than 1.6litre engine, it should not use more than 7 or 8 litres on a 90km journey, with ac. Which is what my car will do. So you need to check yr car properly

Wow!! 180km with 15litres?? I think that's good efficiency.
My car isn't up to a 2.0litre engine, ain't an SUV and I don't even use AC. I guess I really should check it out.
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by Formidable1: 2:43pm On Apr 07, 2017
timifakay:

City driving consumes more fuel than highway because of more frequent braking...
Under normal circumstances, the time it will be worth it to leave car running is if it won't take more than 2 minutes or there about to start engine again.

I think you have a point. I should stop turning the engine off every now and then. I was only observing the opinions from car websites that advise not to leave the engine idling for even up to a minute. They say it saves more fuel to turn it off any moment you're not throttling. But the opposite seems to be the case for me.
Re: Does My Car Have Good Or Bad Fuel Economy? by GuageLTD: 4:48pm On Apr 07, 2017
dude just scan d car... dts d onli way we can kno wats wrong

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Much Does A Car Immobilizer Cost??? / My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit / 03 Camry Keep Blowing Efi Fuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.