Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,965 members, 7,821,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread (53297 Views)

How To Properly Use The “baby On Board” Sign / Autel OBD Scanner: Check that check engine! Buy a scanner. / Hybrid Vehicle Electrical And Electronic Problems - Question And Answers Thread! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 11:41pm On Mar 14, 2017
I use windows 10 also. The files are so scattered and I am still trying to see how to put them in order

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 11:48pm On Mar 14, 2017
There are 6 major files, and rm is 119mb, ewd is 29.2mb. I guess when we start troubleshooting you can tell which file to find what.
1. Brm
2. Contents
3. Ewd
4. Ncf
5. Rm
6. Sds
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 11:54pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:
I use windows 10 also. The files are so scattered and I am still trying to see how to put them in order

Was trying to run the .html files

Also have the PDF files.

If you are done arranging them, please share the legend, that is, old file name, new file name.

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 12:03am On Mar 15, 2017
What do I get if I purchase a Basic Code Reader?

A basic code reader also goes by the name "Generic OBD II Code Reader" or "Universal OBD II Code Reader"

It allows you to connect to the PCM/ECU

It can read Powertrain DTCs stored in the PCM/ECU Memory (Generic SAE defined DTCs)

It can erase Powertrain DTCs

It can retrieve Freeze Frame Data (still snapshots of vehicle conditions at time the DTC was set, i.e., the vehicle took a selfie of key parameters just before or simultaneously as the DTC was set for future reference/troubleshooting)

A few of them do not support all the protocols (languages) in which OBD II can be spoken

Cannot read other sub-system codes e.g., Airbag sub-system codes

Cannot read other sub-system codes e.g., ABS sub-system codes

No facility for printing of results obtained

No access to live data

Cannot be updated

No provision for storing results of the vehicle scan for future reference/troubleshooting

No provision for displaying the VIN of the scanned vehicle

Low cost device

----------------------
ADDITIONAL POINTS
------------------------

Low end devices may display just a number and not display the full definition of the DTC

Low end devices may display just engine and transmission data leaving out sensor data and other system operating information

Low end devices can retrieve DTCs and limit their bidirectional control to the clearing of stored powertrain DTCs instead of full bidirectional control which means that it is impossible to independently of the PCM/ECU test the status of components by turning them on and off as well as run other system tests

Rarely will low end devices display the readiness status of the various OBD II monitors that is whether or not the self-check process was successfully completed or not
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 12:10am On Mar 15, 2017
What do I get if I purchase a Professional Scan Tool?

A professional scan tool can also be called an "Enhanced Scan Tool" or "High-End OBD II Scan Tool" or "Professional Diagnostics Scan Tool"

It allows you to connect to the PCM/ECU

It can read Powertrain DTCs (Generic SAE defined DTCs) AS WELL AS Manufacturer DTCs stored in the PCM/ECU Memory

It can erase Powertrain DTCs AS WELL AS Manufacturer DTCs

It can retrieve Freeze Frame Data (still snapshots of vehicle conditions at time the DTC was set, i.e., the vehicle took a selfie of key parameters just before or simultaneously as the DTC was set for future reference/troubleshooting)

It is very unlikely almost impossible for a professional diagnostics scan tool to support less than the 5 protocols (languages) in which OBD II can be spoken

Can read other sub-system codes e.g., Airbag sub-system codes

Can read other sub-system codes e.g., ABS sub-system codes

Usually supports printing of results obtained

Always provides access to live data from the engine and various sensors

Can be updated

Can store results of the vehicle scan for future reference/troubleshooting

Can display the VIN of the scanned vehicle

High cost device

-----------------------
ADDITIONAL POINTS
------------------------

While low end devices may display just a number, high end devices will go beyond by displaying the full definition of the DTC

While low end devices may display just engine and transmission data, high end devices will display sensor data and other system operating information

While low end devices can retrieve DTCs and limit their bidirectional control to the clearing of stored powertrain DTCs, high end devices allow for full bidirectional control inclusive of the capability to test the status of components by turning them on and off as well as running other system tests

Will most certainly display the readiness status of the various OBD II monitors that is whether or not the self-check process was successfullt completed or not
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 12:20am On Mar 15, 2017
olaboy1:
I have downloaded the free version, and I'm trying to put them in proper arrangement.
Thanks for your help, class resumes tomorrow I guess.
Have a good night rest

Good night too
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 8:42am On Mar 15, 2017
What scan tool would you suggest a vehicle owner and not a repair technician buy.
I am looking at getting the Vgate Icar3 wifi scanner for IOS, since that gives more data and its cost effective for infrequent users.
By the way the first company finally sent me the downloadable files and also I can burn the ISO image on a CD.
Once I am done with everything I let you know.
The first free files yesterday are as follow
1. BRM (Body repair manual)
2. Contents
3. EWD (Electrical wiring diagrams)
4. NCF (New car features)
5. RM (Repair manual)
6. SDS (Saftety Data Sheet)
All the files in each folder are so many and I think I can now understand while this is not included in the car at the point of sale.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:28am On Mar 15, 2017
olaboy1:
What scan tool would you suggest a vehicle owner and not a repair technician buy.
I am looking at getting the Vgate Icar3 wifi scanner for IOS, since that gives more data and its cost effective for infrequent users.

By the way the first company finally sent me the downloadable files and also I can burn the ISO image on a CD.
Once I am done with everything I let you know.
The first free files yesterday are as follow
1. BRM (Body repair manual)
2. Contents
3. EWD (Electrical wiring diagrams)
4. NCF (?)
5. RM (Repair manual)
6. SDS (Saftety Data Sheet)
All the files in each folder are so many and I think I can now understand while this is not included in the car at the point of sale.

What scan tool should I purchase?

Choosing the right scan tool is a very subjective issue that depends on the following parameters?

1. What is my budget?

2. What is the intended use aka what vehicles will I be working on? One or several? Mine or customers? From which manufacturers? Late model(s)? Old model(s)?

3. Do I want a toy that is easy to use or an advanced tool with a steep learning curve?

4. Do I want something that cannot be updated ( which means that I am stuck with old technology that might lead to more expenses later on) OR do I prefer to purchase a tool that can be upgraded? (Note: The list of new DTCs and system data grows with every new model year, if the tool cannot be updated, it is not worth your money?)

5. Do I want to use an interface cable or do I prefer a wireless connection?

6. Do I prefer a dedicated device or a laptop/tablet/mobile device running OBD II scan software?

7. Will it be OEM or aftermarket?

8. Do I want access to generic or global DTCs only OR do I want access to both generic and manufacturer DTCs?

9. What protocol (language) does(do) the car(s) I intend to scan speak?
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:49am On Mar 15, 2017
Please check the document labeled "m_05_0016.pdf"!

Also ask and answer the following questions from the specification sheet of the OBD II Scan Tool you intend to purchase?

Does the OBD II Scan Tool understand the ISO 9141-2/ISO 14230 communication protocol? That is what your car uses!

Does the DLC terminal arrangement of the interface cable comply with the ISO 15031-03/IS0 9141-2/ISO 14230 format? That is what your car uses!

Note:

Your vehicle uses 1 of 5 possible protocols:
J1850 PWM - The connector must have pins 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16.
J1850 VPW - The connector must have pins 2, 4, 5, and 16, but not 10.
ISO 9141-2 - The connector must have pins 4, 5, 7, and 16.
ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000) - The connector must have pins 4, 5, 7, and 16.
CAN-BUS (J1939 & ISO15765-4) - The connector must have pins 4, 5, 6, 14 and 16.

Source: http://www.alpha-bid.com/HowToChooseACodeReader.html

Is the OBD II Scan tool tool a basic tool or a high end tool? And I am comfortable with its outputs? Will it give me the level of data I need for the quality of repairs that I intend to provide?

It's Amazon listing said support for European Vehicles from 2004 forward.

Generate a shopping list of features you want from an OBD II scan tool, then determine which one to buy from studying the tool that meets all the features you consider an absolute must!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 12:16pm On Mar 15, 2017
Ok great I have all the parameters I need to purchase an OBD2 tool.
I have looked at the m_05_0016 PDF file and found the following as per my car issues, because you asked the question in one of your previous posts of where to start the diagnosis and repairs from.

A. We need to start from DTC's other than fuel trim malfunction DTC's and misfire DTC's (In my case my fuel trim malfunction DTC's are P1155 and P1135 which are the upstream sensors, and misfire DTC is P0340, or am I wrong. This means the first DTC to start with on my car is P0161 and that is bank 2 sensor 2 after the CAT
B. Fuel trim malfunction DTC's should be the second step of fix (in my case P1155 and P1135)
C. Misfire DTC's (in my case you said it's P0340)

As for the scan tool, I guess I will be fine with the wifi vgate that is compatible with my vehicle's Euro ISO
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 12:59pm On Mar 15, 2017
olaboy1:
Ok great I have all the parameters I need to purchase an OBD2 tool.
I have looked at the m_05_0016 PDF file and found the following as per my car issues, because you asked the question in one of your previous posts of where to start the diagnosis and repairs from.

A. We need to start from DTC's other than fuel trim malfunction DTC's and misfire DTC's (In my case my fuel trim malfunction DTC's are P1155 and P1135 which are the upstream sensors, and misfire DTC is P0340, or am I wrong. This means the first DTC to start with on my car is P0161 and that is bank 2 sensor 2 after the CAT
B. Fuel trim malfunction DTC's should be the second step of fix (in my case P1155 and P1135)
C. Misfire DTC's (in my case you said it's P0340)

As for the scan tool, I guess I will be fine with the wifi vgate that is compatible with my vehicle's Euro ISO

Fuel Trim DTCs are P0170 to P0175
DTCs P0141, P0161, P1135 and P1155 are Fuel Air Metering DTCs
P0340 is an Ignition/Misfire DTC

We think you should ask the question which of the sensors is most critical to proper engine operation?

To us it is the CMP so we would start from P0340
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 1:10pm On Mar 15, 2017
What is an OBD II Monitor? What role does it play? Why should you be concerned about them?

Two definitions will do.

One is lifted from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality Website:

“The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD II) System keeps tabs on a vehicle’s performance through the use of “monitors”.
A monitor is a specific type of test that the OBD II system performs on a certain component or subsystem of the vehicle.

Here is a second definition:

Controlled tests or experiments conducted by the PCM/ECU (on several vehicle sub-systems with a view to ascertaining if all the sensors in that subsystem are working within acceptable specifications in order to determine if the subsystem being tested is able to keep emissions within acceptable limits)
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 1:55pm On Mar 15, 2017
Can you list the monitors one can expect to find on an OBD II equipped vehicle?

Air Conditioning System Monitor
Catalyst Efficiency Monitor
Comprehensive Component Monitor
Evaporative System Monitor
Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Monitor
Fuel System Monitor
Heated Catalyst Monitor
Heated Oxygen Sensor Monitor
Misfire Monitor
Oxygen Sensor Monitor
Secondary System Monitor
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 2:39pm On Mar 15, 2017
What types of Monitors exist?

Two major types.

Continuous Monitors which include:

Comprehensive Component Monitor
Fuel System Monitor
Misfire Monitor

Non-continuous Monitors which include:

Air Conditioning System Monitor
Catalyst Efficiency Monitor
Evaporative System Monitor
Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Monitor
Heated Catalyst Monitor
Heated Oxygen Sensor Monitor
Oxygen Sensor Monitor
Secondary System Monitor
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 2:53pm On Mar 15, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Fuel Trim DTCs are P0170 to P0175
DTCs P0141, P0161, P1135 and P1155 are Fuel Air Metering DTCs
P0340 is an Ignition/Misfire DTC

We think you should ask the question which of the sensors is most critical to proper engine operation?

To us it is the CMP so we would start from P0340

1. Pls I need more clarification on fuel trim DTC's, what's the difference between fuel trim and fuel air mixture? And are the upstream and downstream sensors with their DTC's responsible for fuel air mixture
2. Why is Toyota repair manual listing misfire as the 3rd repair step?
Having own many cars in the past, I knew directly without any consultation with a technician that the engine needs to be at optimal performance to avoid DTC's, and since P0340 came up then my suspect from the beginning was changing time chain. Also note I said the car takes few seconds to start, it's one of timing problems.
What's the way forward
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 3:19pm On Mar 15, 2017
olaboy1:

1. Pls I need more clarification on fuel trim DTC's, what's the difference between fuel trim and fuel air mixture?
2. Why is Toyota repair manual listing misfire as the 3rd repair step?
Having own many cars in the past, I knew directly without any consultation with a technician that the engine needs to be at optimal performance to avoid DTC's, and since P0340 came up then my suspect from the beginning was changing time chain. Also note I said the car takes few seconds to start, it's one of timing problems.
What's the way forward

1. Search on all the DTCs I listed using the FSM. P0170, P0171, P0172,P0173, P0174, P0175. Also consult internet sources. Including but not limited to this link http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/94982/Fuel-trim-How-it-works-and-how-to-make-it-work-for-you?Page=2. Also read up on 'Stoichiometric' AFR

2. Cannot speak for Toyota. Have you studied the documentation on the specific codes? P0340 is not caused by a timing chain. You may decide to consult sources outside of the FSM to get a clear picture of the issues. We asked for the vehicle's service history and drivability issues and from what you listed, the most important issue to fix right now is P0340.

If you have done the above homework and submitted your findings, we can begin troubleshooting this night!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 3:31pm On Mar 15, 2017
P0340 from obd-codes.com is triggered by the sensor problem or harness or connector, but I think since the sensor is a camshaft one and the camshaft is driven by a timing chain, would it be wrong to say if the sensor and all electrical feeds to it are 100% good then the next culprit should be the camshaft and it's timing/timing chain.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 3:52pm On Mar 15, 2017
olaboy1:
P0340 from obd-codes.com is triggered by the sensor problem or harness or connector, but I think since the sensor is a camshaft one and the camshaft is driven by a timing chain, would it be wrong to say if the sensor and all electrical feeds to it are 100% good then the next culprit should be the camshaft and it's timing/timing chain.

obd-codes is talking in general terms, your bible as far as your vehicle is concerned is the FSM. Please study the document labeled m_05_0075.

It provides the decision tree for diagnosing the problem.

You are absolutely right!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 4:08pm On Mar 15, 2017
What is the difference between a continuous monitor and a non-continuous monitor? When are OBD II monitors activated?

A continuous monitor runs all the time, is always active if the engine is on

A non-continuous monitor runs once per trip provided that the operating conditions or enabling criteria for such a monitor to run have been met.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:08pm On Mar 15, 2017
How does the PCM/ECM decide it is ok to run a monitor?

It does that when preset enabling criteria or operating conditions are met.

These operating conditions are different for the various monitors that it runs.

In other words, these operating conditions are specific to the various monitors.

Some of the operating conditions may include any or all of the following:

Engine Coolant temperature at startup

Engine Coolant temperature during the period the test is run

Engine load

Engine speed

Throttle position

Time that has lapsed since the vehicle was started

Vehicle speed

These tests (experiments) performed by one or more monitors are run during what is called a trip.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:37pm On Mar 15, 2017
What is a trip?

A specific list of conditions that must be present for a monitor to run.

A start-to-run and engine shutdown sequence that meets the operating conditions aka enabling criteria for a monitor to run.

The definition of a trip is different for each monitor.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 7:27pm On Mar 15, 2017
AutoElectNG:

obd-codes is talking in general terms, your bible as far as your vehicle is concerned is the FSM. Please study the document labeled m_05_0075.

It provides the decision tree for diagnosing the problem.

You are absolutely right!

Yes I am using my FSM 100% to diagnose and fix my problems.
The fix so far for P0340 following my car FSM are
1. Check sensor and all the correct electrical readings, if bad readings replace the CMP sensor, if good go on to number 2
2. Check harness to the sensor, if bad reading repair or replace the wire harness/connector, If good go on to number 3
3. Check sensor attachment part. This means inspecting the CMP sensor installation and if bad repair or replace sensor attachment part. If good go on to number 4
4. Check the camshaft by removing the camshaft and check the camshaft lobes, if bad repair or replace camshaf. If good go on to number 5
5. Check and replace ECM
In this Toyota steps to fix P0340, timing chain is not listed as a failing component to check.
I have spoken extensively with the former mechanic and his explanation is below
Me: what did you do to take away the code P0340, did you erase it with a scanner
Mechanic: I did not, after I checked that the car's timing was in order, I pulled out the CMP sensor and blew the dirt in the connector off and put it back, I didn't even bother to check if the code had gone at that time until I changed one of the oxygen sensors and used my scanner to check for DTC's and then I noticed the P0340 had gone.
He also said he bought a Nissan car some days ago with upstream and downstream sensors DTC's, he had another model of Nissan like that he was fixing and decided to swap the CAT to check, the moment he brought out the CAT of the car that has sensor DTC's it was broken inside.
The point I was able to pick from him was that he 100% experienced same drivability problem I have on my car when you try to overtake.
Also I noticed when my car is idling and you open the bonnet you could hear the sound like it's a Diesel engine, and I put my ear closely and it looks like the sound is coming from the front area of the engine where you have the exhaust manifold and catalysator. I know how a petrol engine should sound. So to eliminate if the sound was coming from inside the engine, I rev the engine to like 4000rpm without driving the car and it was 100% perfect in sound

My able Engineer how do we proceed with this information we have now on P0340.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 7:47pm On Mar 15, 2017
olaboy1:

Yes I am using my FSM 100% to diagnose and fix my problems.
The fix so far for P0340 following my car FSM are
1. Check sensor and all the correct electrical readings, if bad readings replace the CMP sensor, if good go on to number 2
2. Check harness to the sensor, if bad reading repair or replace the wire harness/connector, If good go on to number 3
3. Check sensor attachment part. This means inspecting the CMP sensor installation and if bad repair or replace sensor attachment part. If good go on to number 4
4. Check the camshaft by removing the camshaft and check the camshaft lobes, if bad repair or replace camshaf. If good go on to number 5
5. Check and replace ECM
In this Toyota steps to fix P0340, timing chain is not listed as a failing component to check.
I have spoken extensively with the former mechanic and his explanation is below
Me: what did you do to take away the code P0340, did you erase it with a scanner
Mechanic: I did not, after I checked that the car's timing was in order, I pulled out the CMP sensor and blew the dirt in the connector off and put it back, I didn't even bother to check if the code had gone at that time until I changed one of the oxygen sensors and used my scanner to check for DTC's and then I noticed the P0340 had gone.
He also said he bought a Nissan car some days ago with upstream and downstream sensors DTC's, he had another model of Nissan like that he was fixing and decided to swap the CAT to check, the moment he brought out the CAT of the car that has sensor DTC's it was broken inside.
The point I was able to pick from him was that he 100% experienced same drivability problem I have on my car when you try to overtake.
Also I noticed when my car is idling and you open the bonnet you could hear the sound like it's a Diesel engine, and I put my ear closely and it looks like the sound is coming from the front area of the engine where you have the exhaust manifold and catalysator. I know how a petrol engine should sound. So to eliminate if the sound was coming from inside the engine, I rev the engine to like 4000rpm without driving the car and it was 100% perfect in sound

My able Engineer how do we proceed with this information we have now on P0340.

Are you saying the P0340 is no longer an issue?

So we are left with DTCs P0141, P0161, P1135 and P1155 ?

Is that your understanding?

If you appreciate how critical to engine operation the Camshaft is, you will appreciate why we wanted to start there.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 8:10pm On Mar 15, 2017
From the mechanic's explanation P0340 seem to be addressed.
Except you know a way we can recreate that trouble code otherwise I don't think we have a way to tell if the P0340 DTC is gone after following Toyota FSM.
Give your expert opinion
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:12pm On Mar 15, 2017
olaboy1:
From the mechanic's explanation P0340 seem to be addressed.
Except you know a way we can recreate that trouble code otherwise I don't think we have a way to tell if the P0340 DTC is gone after following Toyota FSM.
Give your expert opinion

Let us hope so.

But remember that I told you to take note of this sentence in your comments:

OBD self test not performed (I'm not sure what they mean by self test)

It means the monitors did not run. If the monitors did not run, we cannot be sure that the P0340 is gone for good. In other words, the readiness tests of the monitors is inconclusive. Which tests did not run? Your report did not say

Most of your symptoms point inconclusively to CMP sensor failure by the way. Only thorough diagnosis will rule that out.

Did he (the mechanic) take a vehicle on a test drive (OBD II Drive Cycle) in an attempt to see if the monitors for the CMP sensor would run? Anyway that is by the way.

Let us proceed on the assumption that the P0340 is gone for good.

By the way if you studied your FSM, you might have come across the following, it answers your questions about timing chains and the camshaft and are extracted from m_05_0018 and m_05_0029

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:32pm On Mar 15, 2017
olaboy1:
Very clear and impactful analysis. This is always the problem with convergence system, they are too intricate and cumbersome.

If you break it down into parts, it becomes easier to tackle

I have seen some YouTube videos and yes you are right a proper OBD2 professional scanner would point one directly to the faulty areas.
I have educated myself more using the link below, and you could see clearly that there are more suspect parts to check when the DTC's are related to the upstream A/F sensors than when all the DTC's are coming from both downstream sensors.. of course a digital multimeter would only give a rough accessment of what's happening, whilst the OBD2 scanner would show precisely a live information of the sensors behavior when the car is running. My question is how do I narrow down my problem in what you referred to as the 'SYSTEM', since the upstream sensors are the ones directly related to the overall systemic function of the engine, and they are NOT giving me any DTC's, except they have suddenly become insensitive and compromise their check duties. Will the following (vacuum leak, intake manifold gasket problem, IAC, EGR etc) cause DTC's only from the downstream sensors and bypass the upstream sensors?
Now that you have the FSM, it should be easier to narrow down the problem systems with precision. Initially you had no upstream sensor problems, but now we know that you do.

Could you please point me to where I can download the repair manual for this car model, and would the repair manual list specifically the right part number should I need to buy new OEM sensors. The prefix for the downstream sensors I saw online is 89465.
Done!

Assuming the CAT is bad and sensors are fine, should I be worried about any mechanical or electrical faults that may have destroyed the CAT since the upstream sensors never reported any DTC's? (Just to be safe and not change the CAT with an imminent pending problem)
What is a FSM?

It's a Toyota avensis verso 2002 with 200,000 kilometers. 2.0L VVTi 1AZ-FE.

http://www.testroete.com/car/Toyota/mr2%20spyder/References/Technical%20Training/01%20-%20Engine%20and%20Engine%20Control/19.pdf

If the CAT is bad and you have a perfectly functional PCM/ECU, then you should get a DTC for that fault
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:35pm On Mar 15, 2017
olaboy1:
Good morning everyone.
Just a quick update on P0340, I saw a video where a guy said if you have kick starter problem then you can also get a P0340 code.
My car had a kick starter problem and when it was changed the P0340 disappeared.
Why is kick starter not listed as one of the problems on obd-codes.com

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0340

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38N47i84obI

Thank you

Now that you got the FSM. How would you answer this question?
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:48pm On Mar 15, 2017
Let's troubleshoot

DTC P1135, P1155, P0141 AND P0161 in that order

For P1135 and P1155, see m_05_0098

For P0141, see
m_05_0332
m_05_0277
m_05_0029
m_05_0092
m_05_0007
m_05_0018
m_05_0057

For P0161, see
m_05_0007
m_05_0018
m_05_0057

If you are done going through all of that, then we can begin taking a closer look at what might be wrong with your ride
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 10:03pm On Mar 15, 2017
Many say a CAT can go bad without a DTC, that's why you have many internet threads of how do I know my CAT is bad

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena/8-Service-and-Repair-Questions-Answered-Here/45097-can-a-catalytic-converter-clog-up-without-codes
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 10:16pm On Mar 15, 2017
Your post has been hidden.

Go to the home page and mail the mods

Our posts have been hidden a few times by the resident antispam bot and when we would contact the mods, they would be restored

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 12:08am On Mar 16, 2017
What role do trips play in OBD II equipped vehicles? Why should you care about trips as defined by OBD II?

For some faults, it takes just one trip to turn on the MIL aka one trip Monitors.

For other faults, it takes two trips to turn on the MIL aka two trip monitors.

If after the DTC is set, the vehicle completes three consecutive good trips without failing the tests/experiments set by the monitor, the PCM/ECU will automatically turn off the MIL, but will not erase the DTC and Freeze Frame from its memory.

For Fuel-type and Misfire-type faults, if a fault is detected is detected in the course of one trip, the PCM/ECU will look out for the same fault during the following 80 trips, and if it appears, it will turn on the MIL.

If the vehicle completes 40 warm up cycles (for emission DTCs) without the same fault turning up, then the PCM/ECU will erase both the DTC and the Freeze Frame from its memory

If the vehicle completes 80 warm up cycles (for fuel trim or misfire-type DTCs) without the same fault turning up, then the PCM/ECU will erase both the DTC and the Freeze Frame from its memory

As soon as the MIL comes on, the PCM automatically opens a diary in which it records how many trips are completed after the fault that tripped on the MIL. It uses the entries so recorded to determine if and when to turn off the MIL or to keep it on.

So then, a lot of the decisions made by the PCM/ECU depends on trips and the outcomes of those trips!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 7:59am On Mar 16, 2017
Good morning AutoElectNG and thanks for your help regards the BOT ban.
From my car FSM a kick starter is not part of the failing components for DTC P0340
The OBD self test not performed was written at the end of the report and P0340/sensor DTC's where at the top, so that means the OBD2 test was able to pick DTC P0340. So OBD2 monitor for P0340 did run and all this was before the mechanic started working on it.

Toyota FSM on DTC P0340 confirms everything I wrote about timing chain been one of the failing components associated with CMP sensor.
Wish I had my own garage, I would have opened that cover to do a visual inspection of my timing chain. Timing chain was the first thing I told the mechanics about to check before oxygen sensors/AF sensors, because that's like the liver of the engine and can cause misfire and total engine failure on motion. I need to look some more DIY YouTube videos on timing chain and see if I can get dirty assuming my mechanic insist on me buying sensors.

Common signs of a faulty timing chain include engine misfires, metal shavings found in the oil, and rattling sounds from the engine while idling. Remember I wrote about some rattling noise in front of the engine when idling.

fuel tank cover was one of the failing components I read about AF sensor codes, and when I tried to put fuel in the car the fuel pressure whilst I opened the tank cover was so much that it felt like it was going to pop the cap out of my hand, so I am going to first go ahead and change the fuel cap. See the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX62e4qLL9Y

I think to eliminate any hidden problems, let's start with FSM fix for P0340, it's not a big deal. I am going to do the electrical check of the CMP sensor and wire harness myself and then ask the mechanic to check timing chain and camshaft. Once I am satisfied with that we move on to next step.

The mechanic explained that if it was a vacuum leak, after clearing the codes they should go away and maybe come back after 2-3trips that you explained in your latest post, and that was how he knew it was a permanent component failure. Also note when I start the car and it's cold I see white exhaust fumes from the tail of the exhaust that looks like NOx.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Photo: Drivers Serving Punishment In Abuja / Pole Smashes Man's New Car (Photos, Video) / This Brown Lexus LFA Is Just N380million. You Like? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.