Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,523 members, 7,861,519 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:40 PM

Begging Styles In Lagos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Begging Styles In Lagos (467 Views)

Who Else Has Experienced The Begging Pandemic / The Nigerian Culture Of Begging / Yoruba Revisionist Please Answer This Questions Begging For Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Begging Styles In Lagos by sleemfesh: 4:39pm On Mar 03, 2017
I thought I knew all the begging systems in Lagos till I heard some new moves from this taxi man today. 3 below was totally new to me.

1. Dressed up women, usually in at least 2s or 3s (I've seen a cluster of 4) carrying kids at their back and asking for transport fare to sometimes phantom destinations. (expect this crew around Mile 2 to Coconut on Apapa-Oshodi express. This group was quite spooky from day one so I didn't fall for them.

2. Well dressed men brandishing pharmacy or hospital bill/receipt asking for money to complete for their child's treatment. One claimed he is a teacher. (expect these solo guys around the Ikeja area) . I fell for this once.

3. School kids wearing a school uniform with a backpack or their bag begging along the streets of VI. Yet to encounter these 'talented' kids.

4. Kid(s) carrying an empty or near empty tray or bowel of 'pure water' and crying their eyes out claiming to have lost the money they made selling earlier and afraid to go home and report. Lagos Island. Yet to encounter these entrepreneurs.

So guys, choose your 'mugu-lity' carefully.
These guys are making Lagosians like me heartless and unwillingly to help.

For those of them that parade some poor fellows with very pitiable and often times horrible looking physical ailments to match with offertory bags and megaphone asking for money to take care of them folks; I do not have an opinion as I do not yet know what they end up doing with the cash they collect.
Re: Begging Styles In Lagos by Cutehector(m): 5:24pm On Mar 03, 2017
grin
Re: Begging Styles In Lagos by PrinceAbinibi: 7:59pm On Mar 03, 2017
our mumu don do.

(1) (Reply)

We Are The Largest Ethnic Group, Stop Marginalizing Us, Tor Tiv Tells Fed Gov. / U. S., Cuba, Others To Participate In African Drums Festival / Awujale Of Ijebuland Dismisses Death Rumors, Says He Is Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.