Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,651 members, 7,955,364 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:25 AM

21 Things Pastor Need To Stop - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop (776 Views)

Kumuyi At 77 21 Things You Never Knew About This Cleric / 21 Things You Don’t Know About Billy Graham / 21 Things You Need To Stop Doing This New Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by goshen26: 9:41pm On Mar 04, 2017
Hello Everyone!!!

As we prepare to worship Almighty God In our various churches today, I am inspired to share this piece with us.

Dear Pastor,

I love you. I want nothing more than for you to be all who God wants you to be. So this might hurt a little.

I’m writing you this letter because I have noticed a few things that we have fallen into saying or doing that don’t represent Christ well.

With all due respect, please stop:

1. Stop pretending you are perfect.

Jesus is perfect. You aren’t. Let us see your humanity. Share your mistakes with us. It gives us hope to know that even the pastor doesn’t always get it right. It also gives us the courage to be honest about our faults, too.

2. Stop emotionally and spiritually abusing your staff.

Although some elements of the church are like a business, church staff should not be treated just like employees. They are family. They aren’t perfect, but you need to love them anyway.

When you hurt them, you hurt God’s family. I know far too many pastors who need therapy after the wounds of working for a bad boss.

3. Stop hiding your secret addiction.

When we find out (not if, but when), it will ruin your ministry, devastate your family and place another black mark on the church. Stop lying about your actual condition.

Don’t be another example that people point to when they call Christians a bunch of hypocrites. Get help now.

4. Stop skipping your time with God.

Lack of time with God is the quickest way for you to dry up spiritually. Your responsibility as a pastor is first and foremost to have a strong personal relationship with God.

Prayer and Bible reading are not a waste of time. It’s the most productive thing you will do all day.

5. Stop talking about your “smoking hot wife.”

It’s great that you love your wife. But talk about how beautiful she is on the inside, too. Praise her godly character.

I don’t want my daughter growing up hearing you imply that attractiveness is all that matters in a woman. She gets too much of that from the rest of the world already.

6. Stop thinking you are the reason for your church’s success.

Check your ego. Good pastors rightfully give God the glory for the fruit of ministry. It’s all because of him. You are just a tool in God’s mighty hand. Stop taking the place of the Holy Spirit in your church, for,He is the true Vicar of Jesus church

7. Stop comparing yourself to other pastors.

Comparison is a loser’s game. You’ll either sin by taking pride in how much greater you are, or you’ll sin by coveting what they have. You can’t win. You can’t win with comparison. Stop lying about your worth, wealth and work. Stop the hyperbole and exxergeratios and embellishments.

8. Stop sacrificing your family in the name of doing “ministry.”

Your first job is to pastor your family well. Your degree of busyness is not a badge of honor, especially when it keeps you from being present for your family. If you allow your ministry to destroy your family, then your family will succefully destroy your ministry. If you can't separate your family time from ministry time, then you are still immature.

9. Stop reading business books more than your Bible.

Yes, there are a lot of parallels to leading a church and leading a business. I love a good leadership book as much as anyone else. But if you are spending far more time with secular books than the Bible, you have a problem. The Scriptures hold all the leadership principles you need, and many CHRISTIAN,ministry books based on the bible.

10. Stop wasting the church’s tithe money on wasteful expenses.

Did you need to go to that expensive restaurant on the church’s dime? Was that shiny new gadget the best way to invest God’s money? Mishandling the church’s money doesn’t just apply to pastors with mansions and private jets. Be a good steward of every penny that God has entrusted to you.

11. Stop pointless invitations to speak everywhere

Why do you welcome invitations to preach outside when your own people have not been properly fed? The number one role of the pastor is to feed the sheep very well.

If you are not always available in your own altar to feed your people, but goes everywhere because of honorariums, you are a shame to Him.

12. Stop saying your church is going to “reach the world.”alone.

The whole body of Christ will reach the world, but not just your own local church. God’s redemptive plan is far greater than any lone congregation. Teach people to think bigger about the church than just your gathering.

13. Stop preaching anything but the Bible.

Opinions are like feet; everyone has them, and sometimes they stink. We don’t need your opinions. We need God’s in His Word. Tell us what He says. In the end, what He thinks is all that matters.

14. Stop preaching other pastors’ sermons without giving them credit.

That’s called plagiarism. It’s illegal. Don’t do it. Or stop doing it. I know many pastors plagiarise my teachings, posts, even my books, yet they don't give me the credit. It stinks.

15. Stop doing selfish service.

Don’t serve for the sake of publicity. If your primary goal is to get on the news or to take pictures with orphans in Africa to post on Facebook, you need a heart check (Matthew 6:4). Do good for God’s glory, not your own.

16. Stop playing church politics

Politics of promotion, hierarchies, money and position and titles have brought ruin to the spiritual impact of many pastors, especially those in,denominations. Church politics have a way of reducing you in the sight and scale of God.

17.Stop giving false prophecies

We can't all be prophets. We can't all perform miracles, signs and wonders. Many of us will only see supernatural manifestations few times in our ministry. So don't work it up by yourself if the Holy Spirit is not inspiring you. Fake, flaky prophesy and miracle will bring bad image and reduce your impact.

18. Stop mishandling the Word of God.

Handling the word of God deceitfully is when you compromise, wrest, mutilate and misinterpret the bible because of fear of man, personal advantage or pecuniary considerations. Stop it or God will send the famine of His Word into your life and ministry.

19. Stop doing ministry with bitterness.

Make sure you allow God to heal your heart of hurts, wounds and injuries inflicted by the people you helped or served. Too many pastors are going about with inner hurts and doing ministry with bitterness, which eventually will defiled you and your work. (Hebrew12;15) Bitterness turns you to hurtful person in words and actions. Eventually, your hurts will make you to hurt others.

20. Stop operating outside your giftings and callings.

If God called you as a pastor, don't try to become an evangelist. If he calls you as a prophet, stop trying to be a pastor. If He hasn't called you as an apostle, stop trying to be one because of prestige, ordination and human expressions. Know your actual calling and stay there. Working outside your calling will always bring stagnation and disaster of great proportions to you and the people.

21. Stop being critical and fault finding.
Many of us are in the habit of being defensive, critical and cynical when the Word of God hit us at the point of our sins. We find fault with vessel the the Lord is using to speak to us. Thereby rejecting the work God want to do in our hearts and life. Stop it now. Receive benefits from any message the good Lord sends to you, not minding the vessel.

What do you need to stop?

Look, none of us are perfect. If any of this rubbed you the wrong way because you felt convicted, you are not alone.

Don’t get mad at me. Get angry at the sin that so easily entangles us. Let’s repent of the mistakes we have made and move forward as faithful stewards of the work God has entrusted us to do.
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by datola: 10:10pm On Mar 04, 2017
22. Stop wearing suits and monkey jackets all the time and feeling that makes you holy. There is nothing biblical about that.

Wear Nigerian attires like buba, Agbada, Ankara, etc to preach. Encourage your church workers to come in made in Nigeria attires. God will be happy about it.

Learn from the late Benson Idahosa. He wore agbada to preach in the workd's best Christian gatherings. Those American men of God like Benny Hinn joined him to wear Agbada to preach.
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by TANKDESTROYER(m): 10:25pm On Mar 04, 2017
No 12 quiet Critical
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by DTalented(m): 2:10am On Mar 05, 2017
I see
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by Nobody: 7:06am On Mar 05, 2017
[s]
datola:
22. Stop wearing suits and monkey jackets all the time and feeling that makes you holy. There is nothing biblical about that.

Wear Nigerian attires like buba, Agbada, Ankara, etc to preach. Encourage your church workers to come in made in Nigeria attires. God will be happy about it.

Learn from the late Benson Idahosa. He wore agbada to preach in the workd's best Christian gatherings. Those American men of God like Benny Hinn joined him to wear Agbada to preach.

[/s]

This is plainly absurd. How does wearing agbada to preach add anything to the kingdom. Are you the one to tell them what to wear? How Godly are you to give counsel to men of God anyways

2 Likes

Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by amani337(m): 7:29am On Mar 05, 2017
Stop Preaching About Money.My church(anglican)is guity of this,only them go raise money for church collection,building collection,tithe,offering,workers welfare,development levi,etc
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by Einl(m): 7:38am On Mar 05, 2017
Long story.

Go to your normal Catholic church where they preach the Word and help the poor.

And if any priest de mess up report him to the Bishop and he will be sent to a monastery for a lifetime of prayer.

Shikena.
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by goshen26: 7:46am On Mar 05, 2017
datola:

This guy is funny dude
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by goshen26: 7:47am On Mar 05, 2017
TANKDESTROYER:
No 12 quiet Critical

Hmmmmmmm
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by Redoil: 7:50am On Mar 05, 2017
They should also stop preaching and making people recieve alter call
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by introvertme: 11:17am On Mar 05, 2017
bro the religion section is the most provocative all the sub forums on nairaland,there has been no time that I've been to this section and I left smiling.

How some persons just decide to stop reasoning with their brain really amazes me,if its not what their father(priest or Reverend) says they won't listen or read!!!

the worst part is that the priests keep preaching what they don't know (Deuteronomy 29:29)
1st john 4:1
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by Jeel: 12:41pm On Mar 05, 2017
So which one you go stop?
Re: 21 Things Pastor Need To Stop by hysteriabox(m): 1:51pm On Mar 05, 2017
Hmmm...
Simply put, lets pastors stop pastoring cos your list is basically what a typical pastor is today

(1) (Reply)

Picture Of Bishop Oyedepo and The Woman Who Led Him To Christ / Breaking News: Jehovah's Witnesses Ban In Russia / Selfish Christian Sisters? What Is Happening?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.